• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chatnoir17

CK2 NMIH Project Lead
98 Badges
Sep 17, 2009
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Divine Wind
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
Attention:please use the thread in the sub forum for bug reports, feature requests, game play questions and other suggestions. In this thread I would mainly answer the questions from someone who doesn't own Sengoku (request of Screen Shot etc.). Thanks in advance.

(12.10.2012 Updated)

Hello everyone who has interest in Sengoku, but hasn't decided yet to purchase this game. Some of you might want to know about modder's activity in the sub forum, but it isn't allowed to search mods for non registered users. So I would like to inform you about my mod MIH (Monumenta Iaponiae Historica: Historical Record of Japan) here with the permission of the forum moderators.

MIH has three aims to achieve.

I. Expand the timeline from 1180 to 1600
The start date in vanilla is 1467, and it is a right choice for the beginning of the Sengoku Jidai. However, there are other interesting eras in the Japanese history. For example, 1180 is the ideal year for the Genpei War, and we can play as the rising Ashikaga or the declining Hojo in the 1333 scenario. The Sengoku period itself has turning points other than 1551, for example the battle of Okehazama (1560), the assassination of Oda Nobunaga (1582) or the battle of Sekigahara. Although there were not small social, military and economical changes between 1180 and 1600, the basic mechanic of Sengoku can represent conflicts in these eras.
I have already created some of these scenarios.

The Genpei War (1180)
This scenario handles the battle between the Taira clan and the Minamoto clan. Taira no Kiyomori owns very large territory, but Minamoto no Yoritomo has also chance to expand in the eastern region.

The Battle of Kawanakajima (1561)
I have seen that some people aren't satisfied with the map of 1551 scenario and they complains too weak Mori or Nagao clan. For these people I have made this scenario. Within ten years after 1551, Mori Motonari conquered the Ouchi clan and Nagao Kagetora successed the Uesugi clan, so they became stronger. Another interesting character in this scenario is Tokugawa Ieyasu (Matsudaira Motoyasu) who was independent after the battle of Okehazama.
1561map.png
The Incident of Honnoji (1582)
Oda Nobunaga took the central Japan quickly, but the attack of Akechi Mitsuhide, a skillful retainer of Nobunaga, changed the situation completely. You as one of Nobunaga's retainer can try to unify the Oda's territory, or play Nobunaga's enemies. All clans got a chance once again!
1582mapver3.jpg

The Battle of Sekigahara (1600)
The last war in the Sengoku period. The most small daimyos are gone, but playing characters in younger generation, f.e. Date Masamune, will be fun.
1600map.jpg

I am also planning the following scenarios.
- 1333: The Nanbokucho era.
- 1399: The golden age of the Ashikaga Shogunate.
- 1534: The Birth of Oda Nobunaga.
- 1571: Anti-Nobunaga coalition.

I have strongly modified the existing two scenarios in vanilla too. The huge clans in 1467 are divided into smaller branches, and the player will see some historical events in 1551 scenario.

1467 scenario

II. Expand historical data
The one of the weak points in Sengoku in comparison to Crusader Kings II is the lack of historical data. However, the new scenarios guarantee additional characters for the players. Moreover, some of them have their old ancestors traced all the way back to the 10th century. You will confirm in this mod that Takeda Shingen has truly the Minamoto origin.

III. Expand game mechanics
While I prefer the rather simple game design of Sengoku, I would like to see more features which give us the proper feeling about the Japanese history. Thanks for some kind helpers, MIH has acquired following features.

1. Additional Events
- Interactions with the Imperial Court: The player can gain court titles beside court ranks in vanilla.
courttitle.jpg
- Seasonal events: Each province has seasonal modifiers.
fourseasons.png
- Events related to buildings: Some provincial buildings have extra events.
MIH has also changed educational events and other events in vanilla.

2. Provincial Management
- New building effects of castles and villages: The effects of each improvement is more unique now.
- Specialization of provinces: The provinces in MIH have military or economic specialization. The player can build high level castles in military provinces, while provinces with the economic base allows the appearance of city.
- religious buildings are also tweaked, so there is no more shinto->honor->rash expansion.
- New guild buildings: The manufactures are also reworked. You can build gold mine, China town or spa.

3. More "japanization" of the game
- Redesigned traits based on the Japanese virtue: the traits affect also the monthly change of character's honor.
- Trait icons with kanji: Maybe they are the most "difficult" part of this mod, but I would keep them since some of vanilla icons are far from the Japanese culture.
- Optional anime/manga character portraits: :)
sengokuportraits.png

4. Rapid Tempo of the War
- This mod increases he army speed roughly three times. It is more accurate according to the real geographical distance.
- The siege check happens two times in a month.

5. Tweaked character's interaction
- The imperial family is added with the new province for Kyoto.
- AI character has more ambitions.
- More events with random characters.
inviterandomcharacter.jpg
- The spamming event about the demand of a Kokujin title is changed. You can pay some money instead of giving land.

So this is what we have achieved in the current version (0.683).

Here is the further plan.
Code:
[B]Ver.0.7[/B]
[U]Scenarios[/U]
- finish 1180 scenario
- make 1534 scenario playable
[U]Events[/U]
- positive and negative events about buildings
- duel events

[B]ver.0.8[/B]
[U]Scenarios[/U]
- make 1570 scenario playable
[U]Events[/U]
- more events about the religions
- more events about the lifestyles
[U]Mechanics[/U]
- improve ambitions

[B]ver.0.9[/B]
[U]Scenarios[/U]
- make 1333 scenario playable
[U]Events[/U]
- fix of the vanilla events
- more events of internal and external trades

[B]1.0[/B]
[U]Scenarios[/U]
- make 1399 scenario playable
- add characters between 1180 and 1600. At least ca.1000 characters who exist in Nobunaga's ambition series.
[U]Events[/U]
- tweak of the existing events
[U]Mechanics[/U]
- make the play as vassal more fun

One year after the release of Sengoku, I have still a lot of work to improve this mod. It would be very appreciated if you could play MIH and comment in the sub forum thread. Your feedback motivates me a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions:
It looks really promising and while I don't have Sengoku yet. I do look forward to this.
And weirdly enough. I like the Anime portraits. Mostly because I was not much of a fan of the original portraits in the demo.

And weirdly enough. I like the Anime portraits. Mostly because I was not much of a fan of the original portraits in the demo.

Thanks for the first comment.
The over-emotion, unnatural hair colors and eye size of anime characters are strange, but they would help to distinguish characters, since the portrait window in Sengoku is smaller than these of CK1/2.

Excellent review chat! Let's see if it lures people - I certainly got one interested in your work (Cyberpunkdreams). ;)

Let me know if you want this thread as a sticky.

Thank you very much for starting this thread. Your mod looks outstanding, and I shall purchase Sengoku forthwith! (or at the next Steam sale)

Thanks. :)

The current work is adding more events and characters for the existing scenario and making new 1582 scenario after the death of Nobunaga. I have already gotten a general map (plan), and some daimyo and their fiefs are already scripted (Buddhist, Christian and Shinto factions in the following map are there on the non coded kori).

Last edited:
Takigawa? Who are they?

He is an important retainer of the Oda Co. After Nobunaga had conquered Takeda, he was assigned as governor of the new land. However, the death of Nobunaga forced him to run away to his old territory, since Uesugi, Tokugawa and Hojo attacked him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takigawa_Kazumasu

The first draft is finished.
1582mapver3.jpg

What was his old territory - in the Oda lands? He was really almost completely surrounded by the enemy except on the East. He must have fled there right? Did the attackers form an alliance and how long did it last?

What was his old territory - in the Oda lands?
Yes, in Ise.

He was really almost completely surrounded by the enemy except on the East. He must have fled there right?
Yes.

Did the attackers form an alliance and how long did it last?

Tokugawa and Hojo had a royal marriage tie, but there was not alliance. Takigawa's prestige and the loyalty from the local Kokujin was dependent on Nobunaga's main army, so that domain was broken after his death. After that, the neighboring clans invaded.

Updated some descriptions in OP.

Grammar fixes from OP:

II. Expand historical data --> change to Expanded

III. Expand game mechanics --> change to Expanded

However, the new scenarios guarantees additional characters for the players. --> guarantee

Moreover, some of them have their old ancestors back to the 10th century. --> Moreover, some of them have their old ancestors traced all the way back to the 10th century.

You will confirm that Takeda Shingen has truly the Minamoto origin. --> You will be able to confirm that Takeda Shingen has truly the Minamoto origin.

While I prefer rather simple game design of Sengoku, I would like to see more features which give us the feeling about the Japanese history. Thanks for some kind helpers, MIH has acquired following features. --> While I prefer a rather simple game design of Sengoku, I prefer to see more features which give us the proper feeling about the Japanese history. Thanks to some kind helpers, MIH has acquired the following features.

MIH has also changed educational events and other events in vanilla. --> MIH has also changed/enhanced educational events and other events in vanilla game.

The player can build castles with high level in military provinces, while provinces with the economic base allows the appearance of city. --> The player can build high level castles in military provinces, while provinces with the economic base allow the appearance of cities.

3. More "japanization" of the game --> "Japanization" of the game

- The army speed increases roughly three times. It is more accurate to the real geographical distance. --> - The army movement speed is increased roughly three times. It is more accurate according to the real geographical distance.

You can pay some money instead of land. --> You can pay some money instead of giving land.

One year after the release of Sengoku, I have still a lot of works to improve this mod. --> One year after the release of Sengoku, I have still a lot of work to improve this mod.

Thanks. :)

those anime icons.. everyone look like girls :wacko:

The characters crossing the hands on the front are women. ;)
The hair styles are also different.

The best part about it is that you are totally free to use it or not - I don't 'cos it would ruin my game totally but for someone else it might enhance the game. We all have different visual preferences.