• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JGD14

Sergeant
43 Badges
Nov 7, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Empire of Sin
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Stellaris
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
GEARING UP FOR WAR
A HEARTS OF IRON 3 BLACK ICE AAR

AirborneAlpineUsWorldWar2.jpg

So, this will be my first AAR - I've been playing the game for a while (since HOI 1 actually), although I haven't been playing much lately (XCOM took over all my gaming time for quite a while...) Anyway, I've been enjoying some other AAR's these days, so figured I'd put one together. Well, that and I've been trying out the Black Ice mod and have been getting fairly hilariously stomped in the Pacific by AI Japan, so I figured I'd put it out there for the world to see. I'm not a min-maxer, but I don't mind taking advantage of some game tactics here and there. I certainly don't know very many though. I'm also not sure how any of those tactics work in Black Ice. So, we'll see. Could be a short one if I lose Midway, Guam, Wake and Attu in February of '42...

I'll be posting updates as I play, although to be honest I don't have a set schedule. I'll aim for an update every 1-2 weeks or so. I'll likely try to get us to Dec 1941 fairly quickly, although the Black Ice mod does add some interesting decisions for the US early on. I suppose we'll mostly be talking about techs and build queues. Feel free to tell my why my division make up is sub-optimal (analysis or links to analysis would be great) but don't get upset if I don't change it.

I think this will end up being a History Book style, although who knows, maybe I'll switch up part way through, maybe I'll have a post or two from different view points. We'll see.

I'm certainly no graphic artist, but I'm going to try to make some decent screenshots or combinations of screen shots to make things a little more exciting around here. If you know how to use GIMP and see me doing silly things around these parts, feel free to educate me (or point me towards some educational material).

Of course, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm playing TFH 4.02 with Black Ice 6.21. Normal difficulty, easy hard Japan, wimpy Pacific (the struck through settings were the game settings for my last game, where [post=17825500]this[/post] happened), normal Soviets, normal hard Germans, normal hard Italy easy Black Ice Difficulty.

Table of Contents
To be Updated​

Last edited:
I hope setting Japan on easy won't make them fail in China miserably :eek:

And Greadford, don't forget about the eastern threat as well!

I hope setting Japan on easy won't make them fail in China miserably :eek:

I will freely admit that I don't really get the Black Ice AI easy/difficulty options, but like I said, in my last game I had used these settings and a month after they declared war on me they showed up on my beaches with 500,000 marines. I'm not sure if that's because they steamrolled the Chinese (I can't remember how that theatre played out, I'll pay more attention this go round though).

I will freely admit that I don't really get the Black Ice AI easy/difficulty options, but like I said, in my last game I had used these settings and a month after they declared war on me they showed up on my beaches with 500,000 marines. I'm not sure if that's because they steamrolled the Chinese (I can't remember how that theatre played out, I'll pay more attention this go round though).

In my latest AAR, Japan landed about a dozen of marines on my shores while easily stomping the USA in the Pacific, but by my calcutations, you got invanded by 50 triangular divisions. That'd likely ruin my game in an instant or at least made it very interesting :D

Easy is like you are cheating, normal is a fair play and hard and above is cheating AI.

The San Diego Military Olympics

The beginning of 1936 was a trying time for the US, particularly for the top decision makers. Parts of Roosevelt's staff were already ringing warning bells about the aggression of some nations on the planet, particularly the Japanese. Whether or not Roosevelt agreed with them did not matter; the American public was interested only in solving their own problems. Roosevelt knew that any major spending on anything besides domestic issues would likely have him thrown out of office. Possibly even before the elections set for November of that year.

As such, the US was forced to continue its isolationist policies. For the most part.

There was a faction within the upper echelon of the staff that predicted that war would come to America, whether she wanted to believe it or not. These men banded together and decided to try to figure out a way to trick the American public into preparing for war - a war they predicted would come from the far East.

They knew that they must be subtle. They must push forward important projects and somehow spin them so that they were not met with dissent from the American people. At the beginning of 1936 Roosevelt shuffled his cabinet slightly to begin to redirect America's efforts towards defense.

cab36.jpg
He pressed Douglas MacArthur into service as a bureaucrat as the Chief of Staff to implement some new training methods in order to churn better troops out. In a move that many people scoffed at MacArthur lobbied for and had himself appointed as Chief of the Army as well. It was hard to argue with his skills though, particularly when he adjusted the Army's logistical system to reduce wasted supplies.

Early in the year MacArthur ordered all air wings and all ships to congregate in San Diego. The premise of this was to promote inter-service co-operation through 2 weeks of sporting competition. A military Olympics, if you will (although the Army was not invited. MacArthur was heard to say that he "wanted the flyboys and sailors to have a sporting chance of winning something") However, as the troops competed, the senior brass were gathered at the Naval Air Station North Island to discuss a complete reorganization of forces. This was the true reason for bringing all the forces together.

They began with the air forces which were split to no more than 3 wings of like plane types. Oscar Westover insisted that keeping the wings separate would allow them each to complete their jobs more efficiently. Further, he was part of the camp that believed that war would come in the pacific. He requested that all of the Air Corps Martin B-10 Light Bombers and Keystone B-6 Tactical Bombers be upgraded to TBD-1 Devastator Torpedo Bombers. His arguments that the only threat to the Continental United States would come from the seas could not be countered by the armaments minister, Robert Wagner. To further illustrate his point, Westover jotted down some relative statistics for the three planes on a scrap piece of paper, showing that the torpedo bomber was much stronger against ships. "No one can wage war in the Pacific if their ships are at the bottom of the sea."

Arguments about which arm of the military should be operating planes over the ocean would be had another day.

planeug1-1.png

That first image is a real hack job, but I learned a lot doing it. The second one I learned even more. I'm going to post this, then go through a little more of the re-org (don't worry, I won't be making images of each and every fleet I created but I'll probably give a quick run down of fleets and their make-ups.) I plan on probably posting a few quick posts to start showing some goals, build queues etc, then maybe annual updates until 1941 or so. I brought everything to San Diego, all 22 air wings and 142 ships then split them all out. Maybe not the most efficient, but it works for me.

Feedback is certainly welcome.

A few questions
  • does anyone know where the images in the game from the production screen are stored? I wouldn't mind grabbing a few of those to toss up in an image or two I'm sure. I had a quick look but couldn't track them down.
  • are the images readable? Too big? Too small? My screenshots are all 1600 x 900 so I'm going to have to figure out a decent way to scale them without losing too much text detail.
  • Does anyone know if the standard 4 CV 4 CL CTF makeup from TFH doesn't work in BI? Notwithstanding the AI doomstacks.

Last edited:
are the images readable? Too big? Too small? My screenshots are all 1600 x 900 so I'm going to have to figure out a decent way to scale them without losing too much text detail.

They seem just fine to me.

Also, MacArthur as a Chief of Staff already? Oooooh boy.

What's wrong with Dougy already? Is there someone better?

I was thinking more about his RL personality. The man was a military genius, but he had an ego you could drive a semi through. In my head I was thinking of making him chief-of-staff stroking that already enlarged ego.

Oh yeah I know - I was actually thinking of including some of that in here - actually I already started by essentially naming himself Chief of the Army too! Plus, I think he's an Army Group Commander as well...

There's a novel series by W. E. B. Griffin that uses his ego in the story fairly often...

You are the arsenal of democracy, and soon enough, you'll go on a crusade preaching democracy and liberalism to all! :p Also, best of luck since this is your first AAR, may it be a memorable one as all first AARs should!

Cheers!

The Arsenal of Bureaucracy

GEARING UP FOR WAR

MacArthur was disappointed to hear that a complete Naval reorganization would be a waste of time for the time being. Since there were several warships under construction now, it made more sense to leave the navy in several work up fleets, one full of light cruisers and the two operational modern fleet carriers and another full of the battleships and destroyers. Once the newest ships were commissioned, they would be steamed to the appropriate fleet, after which the fleets would be broken up to operational units of 3-5 capital ships with 4-6 screens each.

The two smaller carriers, USS Ranger and USS Langley were assigned to anti-submarine training fleets, along with some antiquated destroyers. Admiral Standley was convinced that it would be critical to keep enemy subsurface vessels out of our trade lanes. "Whether we go to war or not, you can bet that belligerents will be prowling about under the waves. We must keep out merchant marine safe. The best way to go about that will be airplanes."

Further, the Admiral expressed his desire for more carriers. "You can bet your nickels that any war we fight in the Pacific will require aircraft carriers. We need more of them. And more planes to fly off of them." The Chief of Staff is said to have given a curt nod. Most suspect he was thinking about how he was going to arm the jungle fighters he was sure to need in order to keep his operational command center (often referred to as "The Palace") in the Philippines.

rangerlangley.jpg

After the Military Olympics, MacArthur set his army staff about evaluating threats and possible defense divisions and/or corps to protect the US holdings in the Pacific. The US public, and indeed the world, would not stand for US expansion in the Pacific. He must focus on defense, as the US public would surely not stand for any losses of US land. How to protect an atoll in the middle of the ocean?

The paperwork was a running joke within the administration. Countless memos and orders were issued from the Chief of Staff to the Chief of the Army. One example is included here, as well as some unedited notes that were found in a declassified archive folder.

midway.jpg

Alright, so I've been mulling my defense corps make up. Marines have such a high org that I kind of want to use them as my line unit, but a corps of Marines per island is going to get mighty expensive. I also like the idea of garrison troops because they get a 50% fort bonus on defense (I have coastal forts queued up for Wake, Midway, Guam and Attu.). I'd also love to have some armor there to hopefully slow down the invasion, but I'll need to tech up armor then (last game I played the Japanese Marines had a piercing attack of 13 and my Inf Arm was useless). I'd love any input or feedback.

I think the plan will also be to have at least 16 CV's by 41, hopefully with some extra teched up CAG's. It won't be as easy as vanilla though, with the US's tech maluses in the early years. But hopefully we aren't still flying P-26 Peashooters on the Day of Infamy...

Hm, played until 1939 and Japan had made no headway in China - China had 7000 some manpower to Japan's 1000 (and Communist China had somehow invaded and taken over Taiwan?).

So, I'm going to restart and beef up Japan I suppose. Maybe normal, maybe even hard (it will make things interesting at least!). However, the existing posts will still be valid, since they are all from March 1936.

Will update the first post soon.

Well that's a bit historical, Japan didn't exactly walk over China, they were still at war with them in '45, but I can definitely see why you'd want Japan to be strong.

I also recommend hard as you suggested. Make it a real challenge :)

I see Admiral Slender Man is in charge of the fleet :eek: Also, I appreciate the work you're putting into your various graphics.

In regards to the game up to 1939, that actually sounds pretty unique...usually when I play HoI3, Japan always steamrolls over China and wins within a year or so. Maybe it's just how it rolls with my copy. :confused:

16 CVs by 1941 is quite an ambitious plan. Per handicapping reasons when playing as America, especially back in HoI2 (not so much HoI3 since I just don't play it anymore), I liked to have maybe 10 by the outbreak of hostilities, with a convenient half dozen or more ready to enter the navy by middle of '42 just to make the fighting in the Pacific more interesting.

It's nice to see that the the Navy is realizing the importance of flattops instead of battleships, although the majesty of the queen of the seas is something that I'm still drawn toward.