• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The-Doc

Lt. General
53 Badges
Apr 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
I was wondering if the development team has ever considered expanding the time line of FTG and the scope of the game?

The early 15th century start date makes sense, though I've always wondered why it is 1419, rather than 1415 or some other slightly earlier date. What I think is really missing is the 19th century, which I suspect was left out of EU2 for the sake of Victoria. It is a shame as there are a great many events that would be fun to play through, like westward American expansion, the African colonization race, the American Civil War, the Franco-Prussian War, unification of Italy and Germany and so on.

The mechanics of FTG would be perfectly adequate to represent this time period as well. Furthermore an expansion of this nature would also help give FTG it's own identity, beyond being a refinement of EU2. It would truly represent the great age of European influence and dominance in world affairs in it's entirety.

The 19th century would probably work just fine (probably) since we (meaning they) can dumb down the Industrial Revolution and other things to fit in the game mechanics (or even expand the game mechanics, who knows), but the 20th century would fail bad, since trench warfare, artillery, chemicals and airplanes wouldn't exactly fit in too well with medieval knighthood-to-napoleonish era simulation...

The 19th century would probably work just fine (probably) since we (meaning they) can dumb down the Industrial Revolution and other things to fit in the game mechanics (or even expand the game mechanics, who knows), but the 20th century would fail bad, since trench warfare, artillery, chemicals and airplanes wouldn't exactly fit in too well with medieval knighthood-to-napoleonish era simulation...

Right, it would be a bit ham-fisted but the IR could be represented by simply continuing the infrastructure tech line, maybe some new improvements and some radical upping of production incomes. Railroads and the like could be simulated by faster troop and colonist movement perhaps? Infantry and artillery firepower would go up even more, and perhaps some kind of universal defender bonus could be implemented to simulate firearm improvements.

Pretty much up till WWI I think the EU setup will work. WATKABOI is based on this premise at least.

How many copies of FTG were sold?

AGCEEP and FTG stayed with the default 1419- 1820 EU2 system. If you need a time frame change , a consensus must be reached

You can already mod a larger time period in, like WATKABAOI does. Beyond that, there simply isn't the manpower at this point.

You can already mod a larger time period in, like WATKABAOI does. Beyond that, there simply isn't the manpower at this point.

There wouldn't be the manpower even with a possible expansion and therefore increase in sales added into the equation? (That might be far too personal a question and I respect that it doesn't require an answer)

Fewer than expected apparently :( Don't think you can get a more precise answer than that.
This was commented on in one of the 200 000 celebration threads.
Link?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10983333&postcount=285

i just looked at your website and saw FTG as the 3rd most sold game, i love FTG and its concept(historical events ftw) but are you guys suprised by its success for a game whose graphics are substandard and relies on the player to do all of the imagining for themselves and do you think the gaes success shows content is the way forward, not graphics?
Actually, thats the 3rd most sold game that day.

To be entirely honest, the sales of FTG have not been as good as we had hoped or expected.

:(

Yes, that is one reason why YodaMaster has more or less disappeared.

Too bad. I blame the lack of a new map. I only bought FTG because YodaMaster lied about one coming out with the release.
I am sorry about that. I too thought the map would be done months ago, but Garbon, like YodaMaster, has had other issues.

(Preemptive warning to all who read: Now that I've said that, please do not attempt to turn this thread into a discussion of the AGCEEP High Council's map-making policy.)