• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Space Exploration Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off

How's the space on your hard drive? Paradox wants to challenge your galaxy brain with a great selection of space exploration games - and they're all on sale for some very down-to-earth prices! The sale runs from May 4th until May 10th at 17:00 CEST / 08:00 PDT.

May 4th - May 10th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

MichaelM

For the Glory lead
10 Badges
Jun 30, 2004
crystalempiregames.com
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Wow, that is a bit surprising. 1/20th of an EU3 expansion? I guess an EU2 remake was just a bit beyond the expiration date.
1/20th of an EU3 expansion? Where does that number come from?

MichaelM

For the Glory lead
10 Badges
Jun 30, 2004
crystalempiregames.com
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Ah. EU3 had a much larger sales base to begin with, so that doesn't really surprise me. (The latest version of my editor for EU3 has been downloaded 9000 times, and that's just a modding tool.)

Supposing that EU3 sold roughly 5x as many copies as EU2 did (I have no idea how close to the truth that is), and keeping in mind that EU2 was first released nine years ago and is thus viewed as an old game (and many people have moved from EU2 to EU3), 1/20th the sales for an expansion sounds about right.

Toio

Field Marshal
6 Badges
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
EU3 and Vikki had expansions based on the increasing of time lines. What do you mean by a concensus?

If you are talking about a mod like AGCEEP , then expanding dates prior and or later than what is would be in the hands of modders.
This consensus would be discussed by modders in the forum/s. That is, you, me and all others who have an interest.

I treat FTG as an improved base/foundation of EU2.....a new way to let mods to be continually advanced.

As you will know EU2 had reached its limits.

My main bane is
The worst people on these FTG forums/threads are the criticizes from day 1 in regards to FTG, who never did own FTG ........I never seen this happen in other forums/threads for other titles.
You can criticize a game but ONLY if you own that particular game. ( as I have done )
These "non owning" criticizers are a cancer to the forums and should have been banned by Paradox

Toio

Field Marshal
6 Badges
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
Fewer than expected apparently :( Don't think you can get a more precise answer than that.
This was commented on in one of the 200 000 celebration threads.

isn't this the fault of Paradox in releasing a EU3 expansion a week or 2 after FTG was released. ?
Does it make sound sense to do these things. This smacks of a lack of bad marketing ploy which reduced sales in one or even both games.
To me very stupid indeed........by someone.

unmerged(181153)

Captain
2 Badges
Nov 29, 2009
  • For The Glory
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
If you are talking about a mod like AGCEEP , then expanding dates prior and or later than what is would be in the hands of modders.
This consensus would be discussed by modders in the forum/s. That is, you, me and all others who have an interest.

I treat FTG as an improved base/foundation of EU2.....a new way to let mods to be continually advanced.

As you will know EU2 had reached its limits.

What happens then? If the AGCEEP staff are all busy working on future patches for FTG then AGCEEP doesn't advance. FTG is being advanced and stuff by the AGCEEP team. EU3 had an expansion based on changing start/finish dates. Why is this an unacceptable goal for vanilla FTG?

Is there anyone currently not working on FTG who is willing to attempt to help out on AGCEEP? I'm game.

My main bane is
The worst people on these FTG forums/threads are the criticizes from day 1 in regards to FTG, who never did own FTG ........I never seen this happen in other forums/threads for other titles.
You can criticize a game but ONLY if you own that particular game. ( as I have done )
These "non owning" criticizers are a cancer to the forums and should have been banned by Paradox

This...

Trin Tragula

Game Designer - Imperator
28 Badges
Aug 1, 2003
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • IPO Investor
  • Paradox Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
My main bane is

I agree but I've seen people doing this for every release on these forums since I registered. They're pests, but expected pests.
I don't agree they should've been banned unless the rules are changed to make game registration mandatory though. The official stance is that it's ok to own a game without registering it but you cannot expect access to the tech support forums and to be listened to by the developers and because of this that's how they must enforce the rule.

Another interesting (and to me unexpected) statistic that was mentioned is that basic EU2 is also one of the worst sellers for paradox when it comes to their own games. Makes me a bit impressed they supported it for so long.

DSMyers1

Major
6 Badges
Apr 24, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Another interesting (and to me unexpected) statistic that was mentioned is that basic EU2 is also one of the worst sellers for paradox when it comes to their own games. Makes me a bit impressed they supported it for so long.

If I remember correctly, it was Johan's favorite game and he supported it on his own time for several years.

Toio

Field Marshal
6 Badges
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
I agree but I've seen people doing this for every release on these forums since I registered. They're pests, but expected pests.
I don't agree they should've been banned unless the rules are changed to make game registration mandatory though. The official stance is that it's ok to own a game without registering it but you cannot expect access to the tech support forums and to be listened to by the developers and because of this that's how they must enforce the rule.

yea...EU2 IIRC v1.0, v1.2, v1.5, v1.6, v1.8 and v1.9
a lot of versions for a non selling game?

Toio

Field Marshal
6 Badges
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
What happens then? If the AGCEEP staff are all busy working on future patches for FTG then AGCEEP doesn't advance. FTG is being advanced and stuff by the AGCEEP team. EU3 had an expansion based on changing start/finish dates. Why is this an unacceptable goal for vanilla FTG?

Is there anyone currently not working on FTG who is willing to attempt to help out on AGCEEP? I'm game.

This...

ATM , I am improving my AGCEEP with AI colonizing file changes, defines changes, rebellions changes, etc etc........but what do you expect from FTG team in regards to AGCEEP to do?

Maybe when 1.2 is released , they will work on it

unmerged(181153)

Captain
2 Badges
Nov 29, 2009
  • For The Glory
ATM , I am improving my AGCEEP with AI colonizing file changes, defines changes, rebellions changes, etc etc........but what do you expect from FTG team in regards to AGCEEP to do?

Maybe when 1.2 is released , they will work on it

Oh god, no no no that's not what I meant at all. You've made me out to look like an ungrateful bastard. Possibly I made myself out to look like an ungrateful bastard. Let me clarify what I meant.

I don't mind the fact that AGCEEP isn't being updated because they're busy on FTG. I don't expect any advances in a game I already love and have paid for so, for me, any updates are just an added bonus!

I also understand that other mods are capable of changing start and finish dates but EU3 has modders too. What inhibits the team from considering an "expansion" to extend the dates of vanilla? EU3 had expansions... and it has a bunch of modders too.

I'm assuming my logic is flawed, it usually is. I don't know how it's flawed though XD So someone'll have to point that out for me.

Brian Roastbeef

Revolt Risk: 3%
12 Badges
Jul 9, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
My main bane is

Yeah, I mostly agree here. I'd only say that its okay to criticize a game that you do not own if your concerns are firmly and honestly rooted (through experience with a demo or reading dev. diaries and AARs) and if it is constructively aimed. Complaining for the sake of complaining isn't very useful whether or not you have the game in your library. Particularly as around here if you have concerns about a game that you own and have registered, particularly FtG, this forum offers a lot of opportunities to help work toward improving it.

As for the extension of the Grand Campaign, while its doubtful that will happen in an official capacity any time soon, if ever, all of the work that was put in toward making the game easier to mod essentially allows for extended games anyway. As was mentioned, WATKABAOI is a good bet, and work on it is alive and well. Anybody who is looking for extension into the 19th century would do well check it out. :)

(Unimportant side note: post #1419 for me... kind of a special number for those supposedly few of us who are attached to EU2 and FtG :D)

Emperor_krk

Mǎlum incarnatum
20 Badges
Mar 4, 2006
www.europa-universalis.com
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
(Unimportant side note: post #1419 for me... kind of a special number for those supposedly few of us who are attached to EU2 and FtG :D)
I really don't think there's so few of us ;). Though I might be a bit biased... :p

nimiz

Sergeant
52 Badges
Nov 10, 2009
  • Sengoku
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Yes, that is one reason why YodaMaster has more or less disappeared.
uh oh, that's not a good sign for future patches then....right?

edit : just read the 1.2 thread, all the info is there. Thanks to MichaelM for telling us about this.

moloko

First Lieutenant
56 Badges
Apr 2, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Couldn't it be that FTG sales are low because a lot of EU2 owners just don't see enough of an advancement/improvement to justify buying it? That and anyone new to Paradox games may go for EU 3 instead, it being the "latest and greatest".

Garbon

Sultan d'Afrique
72 Badges
Feb 1, 2002
www.crystalempiregames.com
  • Imperator: Rome
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Deus Vult
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
I don't mind the fact that AGCEEP isn't being updated because they're busy on FTG.

Actually it is because the...two remaining individuals who were ever involved in the nuts and bolts of AGCEEP releases are currently down for the count. :(