• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the main point of a habitat is that you can place it where you need it [most the time] and thats good because you have more control over where your sector capital sits i.e, X jumps in every direction from this habitat

yes they do block fleets somewhat but it doesn't stop a fleet passing through the L gates to reach some other juicily target unless you also park a few ships close enough to draw them into combat with your defenses. So habitat + station + fleet is a good blocker... just a habitat normally does bugger all
I think they are superior in that sense to planets, considering you cant just magicly grab a planet out of nowhere. But if theres celestial planets in a system you can park a habitat over it.

If you are going for a 'this system is my main gate. and noone gets to enter but me' type of system though id fill it to the brim with habitats, make them all fortresses and as much of a pain in the backside to deal with as possible. Taking 1 world/habitat isent so bad, even if they have a few thousand personal on it. But several? Thats going to take time. Time your opponent probably doesent want to spend on taking a single system. So long as the planets/habitats arent taken over you can still use your gate though so you can use that to quikly reinforce the system and kick them out again.

Reactions:
A mega-shipyard can't be a sector on its own because sectors are only; planets habitats or ring world which I think makes the point nicely... Slap down a habitat and put a governor with bonus shipping in charge

It's very situational but anything that gives you options is worth noting

Reactions:
This is why I always build a couple of Fortress Habitats in Terminal Egress, as well as building a Gateway there. It becomes a central nexus, so it should be heavily fortified.
Same, I usually build ring worlds behind it, and habitats where I can't build RWs and abandon the rest of the galaxy to the crisis, while I am safe and sound in the L cluster.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I am pretty sure that won't work with L-Gates though as they don't count as hyperlanes so a fleet can just leave through the gate to any system with an L-Gate.
Yeah AFAICT it doesn't seem to actually work.

Building a fortress at Terminal Egress would keep people out of the other systems in the L-Cluster, but would not protect your galactic space from L-Gate invasion.

Reactions:
Habitats are great to build in chokepoints in order to fortify them; that way, you don't lose the system the moment the starbase falls, and if the habitats have Fortresses in them, they will keep enemy ships in the system for a while.

For the same reason, it's best to build gateways in fortified chokepoints, and in systems with colonized planets – that way, you retain access to the gateway even if the Starbase is occupied.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Don't quote me on this, but I think it links your trade stations together along the shortened path, reducing the need for hangar stations.
one trade station with a gateway provides collection out the other side of every other gateway, it counts as one jump for purposes of determining coverage. another station with hangar bays will provide protection for all the gateways in your empire. and however many jumps outside those gateways remaining after the jump through. you can create a cellphone network of trade collection and protection this way basically.

• 1Like
Reactions:
one trade station with a gateway provides collection out the other side of every other gateway, it counts as one jump for purposes of determining coverage. another station with hangar bays will provide protection for all the gateways in your empire. and however many jumps outside those gateways remaining after the jump through. you can create a cellphone network of trade collection and protection this way basically.
Yeah it's just really inefficient if you someone builds a gateway specifically for that.
It's not like piracy is ever really in issue even in early game or trade itself is something which provides that much income compared to normal production

Reactions:
You don't need to have more than one trade station. Trade collection works through gates, so one trade base would cover all your empire, if you have enough sufficiently distributed gates.

Reactions:
Yeah it's just really inefficient if you someone builds a gateway specifically for that.
It's not like piracy is ever really in issue even in early game or trade itself is something which provides that much income compared to normal production
? You build gateways to zoom zoom. Then you rearrange your trade stations afterwards since you won't need more than one if you have enough gateways. Nothing inefficient here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
? You build gateways to zoom zoom. Then you rearrange your trade stations afterwards since you won't need more than one if you have enough gateways. Nothing inefficient here.
The poster who is was referring to suggested building a gateway or multiple to get trade in without piracy. A gateway costs thousands of alloys and energy credits to set up. Building one specifically to avoid some piracy that should not even be an issue even in normal cases is always inefficient. You can just as easily use your normal border / shipyard gateways for that and if need be slap some hangar state-based in strategic places to avoid piracy.

Yeah, the L-Gate is free use to anyone once it's cracked. From any Galactic L-Gate they can bounce to Terminal Egress and then immediately, basically without moving, activate the TE L-Gate to go to any galactic L-Gate. Most things that impair movement won't have any effect on this at all.

As noted, make sure your TE Citadel has an Ion Cannon because range; but also, it's one of the few cases I've found where that Starbase secondary "+50% fleet range" module can be useful. You won't need to expose your garrison fleet by sitting it on the L-Gate if you give it a bunch of long-range weapons and the TE Citadel has the range booster; the fleet can remain in cover of the Citadel's weaponry but still snag into combat any fleets attempting to pass through.

For added lulz and if your economy won't mind the silly upkeep, slap in a Defense Grid Supercomputer and design a couple of platforms specifically for TE: fighter wings, Neutron Dance Launchers, whatever can reach out and say 'SUP at distance, and with armor/shields/hull balanced specifically for whatever's currently giving you aggravation. Tho this probably isn't necessary unless you've *really* goosed up the bad guys and your garrison fleet is behind in size or tech.

Reactions:
wait..rival empires can't use their gateway into mine anymore? so it's safe have gateways now?
they have to conquer the system with the gateway before they can use it. were they ever able to use it before conquering first? L-Gates are free to use though once opened, unless someone with terminal egress closes borders.

wait..rival empires can't use their gateway into mine anymore? so it's safe have gateways now?
I'm actually not sure what the current state is, but I believe that when I wrote that a year ago it was accurate.

I'm actually not sure what the current state is, but I believe that when I wrote that a year ago it was accurate.
It was and it might be not anymore. In the current version I was losing ability to use my gate in my system upon enemy defeating the station with my unoccupied planet present in the system. Something has changed. Is it intentional or has it changed after the hotfix I don’t know. :)

It was and it might be not anymore. In the current version I was losing ability to use my gate in my system upon enemy defeating the station with my unoccupied planet present in the system. Something has changed. Is it intentional or has it changed after the hotfix I don’t know. :)
I do seem to remember that recently. I think that maybe the owner loses the ability to use a gate in a system they have lost control of, but the attacker can only close the gate and not use it themselves?

Reactions: