• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CyberSpyder

Major
64 Badges
Jun 2, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
VERSION RIGHT NOW OFFICIALLY DEEMED TO BE AT 1.24!
Compatible with CK2 1.05d

I made most of this while playing through the demo, trying to alter a few of the things that bugged me. Now that the full game has come out, I've updated it to reflect the differences between the demo and full game files, and thought I'd share it with anyone that might be interested.

Main changes include:

Slight trait overhaul. No more purely negative personality traits (as, for example, shy/craven/slothful were before). They made those personality events a little too obvious. Specifically:
Gluttonous: No stewardship penalty. +5 vassal opinion (from your amazing feasts)
Charitable: -5% global tax modifier
Slothful: No stewardship penalty. +1 to learning (laze about reading a lot) and intrigue (accustomed to getting others to do things for you)
Diligent: Removed intrigue bonus
Patient: -10 to AI ambition
Craven: +1 to intrigue and diplomacy (accustomed to weaseling your way out of things)
Shy: +1 to stewardship and learning (less time with people is more time with the books)
Arbitrary: +1 to martial and intrigue (unrestrained by honor)
Just: -1 to martial and intrigue (restrained by honor)

Education traits revised:
No fertility effects
Midas Touched gets -25% build cost
Brilliant Strategist gets +.25 morale, 30% faster levy reinforcement
Elusive Shadow gets half-price assassinations
Grey Eminence gets +10 opinion from all vassals
Mastermind Theologian gets +20 church opinion and +1 piety/month

Opinions alterations. Mostly limiting the extent of certain huge opinion penalties that seemed unreasonable. Specifically:
-10 instead of -50 for pretender vs. liege. (Brothers won't automatically launch an attack for the throne if you give them land - only if there's a succession crisis or they hate you for some other reason)
-5 instead of -10 per demesne over limit (making it a somewhat gentler curve)
-5 instead of -10 for female ruler (come on now)
-5 instead of -10 for female heir (seriously?)
-20 instead of -30 for wrong government type (-30 is as bad as absolute crown authority, but for bishoprics and cities. Seems a little overkill)
Positive relationship with mentor lasts 40 years instead of 20 (presumably, you still care a bit about your mentor even past age 26)
Positive opinion from granted titles scales up in duration as well as magnitude:
10 years for barony, as before
20 years for county
30 years for duchy
100 years for kingdom (a lifetime)
100 years for empire (ditto)

Casus Belli - wars of independence are easier, somewhat making up for the changes above. Specifically, a white peace in a war of independence will still win independence for the vassal, but give the former liege a claim on the vassal's title. Total victory will win independence without any claim being given. Surrender gets the vassal imprisoned, as before. I figure that if the liege can't actually beat the vassal that's trying to break away, they can't enforce fealty.

Technology: Most technologies made somewhat stronger. Specifically:
Going from level 0 to 5 in a weapon/armor tech doubles the offense/defense of the associated troops.
Each level of siege technology reduces siege time to roughly 2/3rds of what it was before...
Countered by fortification tech, which exactly opposes it.
Tactics doubles land morale by level 5, and also increases organization so the morale recovers faster.

(Tax and building techs were left unchanged, except for trade practices, which gives +1 to town opinion per level)

Construction tech reduces build costs by 5% per level
'Opinion' techs (noble customs, popular customs, religious customs) raised slightly to a steady +3 per level - +15 by level 5.
Majesty gives an additional +1 per level to feudal vassal opinion.
Spiritual art gives an additional +1 per level to church vassal opinion.

Flexibility techs and legalism unchanged.

Succession laws - Feudal elective succession only gives +10 instead of +20 opinion to vassals, as elective HRE and Byzantine Empire are a little too sturdy. However, it will also give that +10 to vassals of your bloodline, instead of sticking them with a -5. Still gives -5 to bloodline vassals; dynasty_opinion seems like it always takes precedence over vassal_opinion, annoyingly.

Requirement to enact True Cognatic succession has also been changed - instead of requiring basque culture, it requires a female ruler with one of a set of positive epithets (i.e., the great, the wise, the holy, etc etc)

Council - Probably the biggest change. I've added in new demesne 'council laws,' governing whether or not women can serve on the council. By default, they cannot - but it's not too difficult to enact 'female administrators,' allowing women to serve as steward, spymaster, or chancellor. Much more difficult is female marshals (requiring a Joan of Arc-esque event to have triggered and you to have chosen to replace your marshal with the woman in the event), and female chaplains, (requiring true cognatic succession and a heretic female ruler in a heretic capital, as well as a very skilled female theologian of the appropriate heretic faith). If the appropriate laws are in place, women can also have the ambition to become a council member.

Buildings: Culture-specific buildings now require the province culture to be appropriate to the building type. However, they will no longer immediately vanish if the ruler culture doesn't match the building - instead, they stick around until the province is militarily conquered by a different culture group or the province culture itself changes to an inappropriate type.

Other mechanical changes - in defines.lua, I upped the max demesne size from rank by 50% and dropped the effect of stewardship by 1/3rd, to make demesne size more reliable. I also reduced the -75% (really?) wrong settlement type penalty to -33%.
Base reinforcement rate dropped by 80% while at war

Now also includes:

Integration of Better Rebels (avee)
Integration of combat changes and additional holy orders/mercenaries from PMM (Six Gun South)

If you're interested, you can download it here.

Last edited:
Council - Probably the biggest change. I've added in new demesne 'council laws,' governing whether or not women can serve on the council. By default, they cannot - but it's not too difficult to enact 'female administrators,' allowing women to serve as steward, spymaster, or chancellor. Much more difficult is female marshals (requiring a Joan of Arc-esque event to have triggered and you to have chosen to replace your marshal with the woman in the event), and female chaplains, (requiring true cognatic succession and a heretic female ruler in a heretic capital, as well as a very skilled female theologian of the appropriate heretic faith). If the appropriate laws are in place, women can also have the ambition to become a council member.
Think I'll copy/paste this (or a variation of it ^^), will download this evening.
thx for sharing

-10 instead of -50 for pretender vs. liege. (Brothers won't automatically launch an attack for the throne if you give them land - only if there's a succession crisis or they hate you for some other reason)

That one is really tricky like you say its almost a certain rebel if you give your non oldest land once you die, but again, might make this succestion law way to easy, since i also think its the best by far, i might lower it myself, but i think -10 is to low, maybe 25/30

Could someone explain how to use this ? Like in little-kid-terms ? (1) do this, 2) put it here, 3) now do the following)

Would be highly apreciated.

go to the CK2 program file and copy the contents of the zip into the "mod" file you find within. when you run CK2 though the lanucher (brings up a popup before the game starts) you should be able to select a mod, in this case "tweaks"

It seems like countries don't start with a gender council laws.

What are the AI triggers for enacting the new council laws? Will they enact them all the time the option is given?
They shouldn't enact them at all.

Checking again, the defines.lua changes do appear to work if loaded through the game launcher instead of "ck2.exe -mod tweaks" as I was using - turns out the changes to demesne size were doubled up, giving it 2.25 times the base effect from rank instead of 1.5 times. New version has been uploaded fixing that.

Additionally, I've updated common/buildings.txt to change how culture-specific buildings work.

Buildings: Culture-specific buildings now require the province culture to be appropriate to the building type. However, they will no longer immediately vanish if the ruler culture doesn't match the building - instead, they stick around until the province is militarily conquered by a different culture group or the province culture itself changes to an inappropriate type.

At some point in the future, I'd also like to add unique buildings for the cultures that currently don't have any...that'll be a little more difficult, though, as it requires creative effort rather than just number-tweaking and coding.

Curiously, the changes to succession laws seem...unreliable? I expected that moving vassal_opinion above dynasty_opinion in feudal elective would make vassals of your dynasty get the same opinion boost as other vassals under elective law, but that seems not to be the case - they still get -5. It looks like the "dynasty" status always takes precedence over "vassal" status for determining opinion, annoyingly.

Agnatic and True Cognatic succession are also both supposed to impact how much women and men of your dynasty like you, but they do not seem to do so. Perhaps those commands weren't actually implemented.

Last edited:
? I'm not sure what you mean. They should start with the 'men only' law in place...

They dont though. I had to pass men only, I didnt have any of the other ones either.

Is there a way to check whether a certain opinion modifier is active on a character (for example in "allow" lists)? I'd like courtiers that have the "fired from council" modifier to lose it (or at least have it replaced by a softer one) if they get reinstated to a council position. I'd like to be able to shuffle around my peeps a bit according to their skills if applicable without all of them totally hating me for it.

Is there a way to check whether a certain opinion modifier is active on a character (for example in "allow" lists)? I'd like courtiers that have the "fired from council" modifier to lose it (or at least have it replaced by a softer one) if they get reinstated to a council position. I'd like to be able to shuffle around my peeps a bit according to their skills if applicable without all of them totally hating me for it.
has_opinion_modifier = { who = ROOT modifier = opinion_fired_from_council }

edit: Actually, if you're calling it from the courtier scope (which seems more likely), you'd probably need

Code:
liege = {
	reverse_has_opinion_modifier = {
		who = ROOT
		modifier = opinion_fired_from_council
	}
}

Last edited:
New version.

Now includes:
Scars that stick around after the wound heals.
Somewhat fewer hats! (seriously why does everyone wear hats)
Similarly to above, not every man with 12 martial will wear a military outfit if they're not the marshal.
New versions of 'Become Exalted' and 'Become a Paragon of Virtue' that are virtually impossible to fame or holy yourself out of.
New player-only ambitions.
Very, very slight chance of healing from maimed to wounded, as the maiming text suggests.
Stronger genetic inheritance. (40% chance per parent of transmitting congenital traits. Doesn't happen on birth, unfortunately, but should happen within a year of it.)