Game won't start "GDIFontLibClass.CreateFont: cant find font"

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Space Exploration Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off

How's the space on your hard drive? Paradox wants to challenge your galaxy brain with a great selection of space exploration games - and they're all on sale for some very down-to-earth prices! The sale runs from May 4th until May 10th at 17:00 CEST / 08:00 PDT.

May 4th - May 10th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Oct 8, 2008
Hello Paradox,

I have the Japanese version of Windows XP Pro with SP3 but SP2 and SP1 did the same thing also. Whenever I load the game, the screen goes black for a split second then displays an error message:

"GDIFontLibClass.CreateFont: cant find font" ,

then it goes black again after I hit ok, then it gives me another error message saying something bad in Japanese to the effect of that there was a problem with my program and that it had to shut down and blah blah blah. Now I have read about 100 posts all around the internet with a problem exactly the same as mine. It is something to do with the fact that I have the Japanese version of windows installed. What font can't it find? Do I need to install a specific font that maybe the Japanese version of windows doesn't have? I donno, what should I do? It's not because my resolution is set too high, it is something else, my rez is set at 1024x768.

Oh, just wait, as I was typing this message I have found a horrible solution. Horrible because you have to reboot every time you want to play. If I go into my Control Panel under regional settings and then change the language to anything other than than 2-byte language like Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc, then the game will work perfectly fine, so if I change it to German, or French it works fine. The problem only exists when a 2-byte language is set as the primary language for Windows XP. A Chinese programming team have come up with a solution for Tarr Chronicles and Dark Horizon, they can be found here: http://www.calio.cn/upload/dark_horizon_ChineseEnvironmentPatch_By_Calio.rar however, this patch will only work on Chinese Windows. The demo to this game works perfectly fine with 2-byte operating systems, why can't the actual full game. I do beleive we have a very simple problem that needs correction. If there is a better workaround please let me know, I have probably come across a couple hundred different posts relating to this exact same topic in many different Chinese, Korean, and Japanese forums.

System Specs:
Japanese Windows XP Pro
Asus GeForce 6800 512MB
1GB RAM
AMD Athlon 2800+