• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JMcCaffery02

Corporal
28 Badges
Mar 19, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
As the title suggests, the game refuses to launch when I click "Play". It says that it is synchronising and on the left it says "running" however nothing comes up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (Including deleting the documents folder), downloading VC Redist stuff but the problem still persists. Any help would be appreciated.

Please edit the file Documents/paradox/ck2/settings.txt to say:
fullScreen=no
borderless=yes
THEN go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

IF that doesn't help, has the game ever run OK on this computer? Or never?

IF NEVER:
Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting this download to its own folder anywhere on your computer)

Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF IT USED TO WORK:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK2
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK2 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK2 or Documents CK2 locations, before installing again.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

Please edit the file Documents/paradox/ck2/settings.txt to say:
fullScreen=no

THEN go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

IF that doesn't help, has the game ever run OK on this computer? Or never?

IF NEVER:
Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting this download to its own folder anywhere on your computer)

Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

IF IT USED TO WORK:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK2
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK2 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK2 or Documents CK2 locations, before installing again.

IF that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    140 KB · Views: 0
I tried everything there but nothing worked. The launcher refuses to even open
You know this game uses a different launcher than say HOI4, right? It comes with its own rather than using the shared one more recent games have.

What happens if you run ck2game.exe directly from File Explorer? Any Windows error show up?

You know this game uses a different launcher than say HOI4, right? It comes with its own rather than using the shared one more recent games have.

What happens if you run ck2game.exe directly from File Explorer? Any Windows error show up?

Sorry for the delay, I've been away. But yes I do know that. I get the error 0xc000007b. I have done some testing and realised that the game breaks due to update 3.2.2. I reverted to old versions on Steam and everything up to this point works perfectly fine. Was anything changed in this update that could have possibly cause the game to break??
The error.log won't upload as it is empty.

Attachments

• settings.txt
    1,6 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    6 KB · Views: 0
I see I'm now helping you in two places at once. Please don't do that!

I'll see you in the ZenDesk ticket.

... I have done some testing and realised that the game breaks due to update 3.2.2. I reverted to old versions on Steam and everything up to this point works perfectly fine. Was anything changed in this update that could have possibly cause the game to break??

Patch 3.21 was "Last version supporting 32bits system", but you are on Win10 64x going by your DxDiag file, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Were the settings.txt and system.log copied and uploaded after you tried to launch on the current version or after playing on earlier versions ?
In the latter case they would be useless. I ask as the settings.txt looks different than i'd expect.

NO need to reply to my post !
I just wanted to add my 2cents.

PS: This post was orginaly written on monday as a draft, hence my late reaction.