• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Want to throw my hat in the ring and express my disappointment in Paradox here. CK2 is one of the only games I play anymore and has been a constant money sink for years. Just want to see this resolved ASAP.

• 4Like
Reactions:
... Another poster in this thread said that it looks like a straightforward fix...

Which post ?
Probably thinking that fixing it in HoI4 should make it as possible and as such fast to fix in CK2 ?
Well i don't know, but the thought appears a little too simple to me and too much assumption.

That said, if i'd be affected i'd prefer a little more than the current statements, something that gives perspective and hope,
insted of fear to be left behind, so i think i see where the anger comes from.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So it's February and still nothing, not even a bloody update from Paradox. We're really nothing more than cows for them to milk our money from than customers eh, they're really showing their colours. Disgusting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have you read the rest of the thread? This game has not yet been updated to work under Big Sur.
Andrew, could we at least get a description as to what the problem is besides "it's incompatible"? I think a lot of our frustration is that we don't understand what the issue is. All we know is that it doesn't work and it seems like it should just be fixed and be done with by now. Does the Big Sur update somehow cause an issue that requires the entire game code to be rewritten? If that was the case I could at least direct some of my anger towards Apple for making such a dumb operating system and at myself for using such a dumb operating system. As it stands right now it seems like there is an issue that many people are complaining about and all you and paradox are doing is saying "We are 'working' on it, stop bothering us you pesky flies." while you wave your hand dismissively. The tone of your messages has been less than accommodating and understanding. And now the long absence of any kind of reply just makes me want to start the process of seeking a refund like others have said.

• 9Like
Reactions:
yeah I was absolutely gonna buy CK3 and all the dlc once they started releasing it, but if this isn't fixed by the end of the month I can't see myself risking $100+ for a game that may or may not be supported in a few years.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Andrew, could we at least get a description as to what the problem is besides "it's incompatible"? I think a lot of our frustration is that we don't understand what the issue is. All we know is that it doesn't work and it seems like it should just be fixed and be done with by now. Does the Big Sur update somehow cause an issue that requires the entire game code to be rewritten? If that was the case I could at least direct some of my anger towards Apple for making such a dumb operating system and at myself for using such a dumb operating system. As it stands right now it seems like there is an issue that many people are complaining about and all you and paradox are doing is saying "We are 'working' on it, stop bothering us you pesky flies." while you wave your hand dismissively. The tone of your messages has been less than accommodating and understanding. And now the long absence of any kind of reply just makes me want to start the process of seeking a refund like others have said.
I don't know what the technical nature of the problem is, I'm sorry - I'm no developer and am not in the dev loop for this game. If you get an Apple crash report that might make it clearer for you, you can often see the routine that fails in those.

I promise as soon as I have any news I'm allowed to pass on in public I will do so.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know what the technical nature of the problem is, I'm sorry - I'm no developer and am not in the dev loop for this game. If you get an Apple crash report that might make it clearer for you, you can often see the routine that fails in those.

I promise as soon as I have any news I'm allowed to pass on in public I will do so.
Ok, that's understandable. I'm no great programmer either so even if you had a detailed response for me I would probably struggle to decipher it. Thanks for the response. Tell the team we are pulling for them and are excited to play again soon.

I think it has something to do with Big Sur disabling support for 32-bit games, in favor of 64-bit only. CK2 launches/runs on 32-bit, hence the error msgs. Hope this helps.

Edit: This was wrong, see below.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think it has something to do with Big Sur disabling support for 32-bit games, in favor of 64-bit only. CK2 launches runs on 32-bit, hence the error msgs. Hope this helps.
CK2 has been 64bit on all platforms since 3.3 in October 2019.

While I'm no programmer, the issue is very likely that CK2 (and HOI4 before they fixed it) needed old versions of MacOS libraries than are in the newer MacOS.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I do hope this gets fixed soon; this is one of my favourite games. After much persuasion I was really looking forward to an MP game with my extended family to then find the game no longer works. Please crack on Paradox! :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Appears the fix and patch is out

Patch for MAC users: OSX Big Sur
We have published a patch addressing the launch issues for MAC users, on OSX Big Sur.

Hello Kings & Queens!

We have published a patch addressing the launch issues for MAC users, on OSX Big Sur.
Crusader Kings II now handles Big Sur, so you can now dive again in-game with your preferred OS.

Thanks for playing CK2!

• 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
I updated my Mac to the new MacOS Big Sur (11.0.1) and now CK2 won't launch. This is the information from the problem report:

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=
DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/Users/alison/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamloader.dylib:/Users/alison/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/gameoverlayrenderer.dylib
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/alison/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS:/Users/alison/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Crusader Kings II:/Users/alison/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Crusader Kings II/bin:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

Dyld Error Message:
dyld: No shared cache present
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
Referenced from: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/ck2.app/Contents/MacOS/ck2
Reason: image not found

Is there any way I can solve this?
I have the same issue. The funny thing however is i was allowed to about 3 times before the problem started... go figure.

I have the same issue. The funny thing however is i was allowed to about 3 times before the problem started... go figure.

You can hardly have the same issue, as the patch wasn't out then, but is now.
Your problem has likely nothing to do with the compatibility issue.
I'd suggest to start your own thread and describe your issue in detail.

Disclaimer: i'm just another forum member.