• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ulcomax

Recruit
Nov 30, 2021
I am really disappointed about that "ck3.exe" error. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I did all I found in the forums: reinstalled 2 times (yes i deleted the steam files and the paradox documents), checked files. And than all started again. One time it works than again no chance to start. And yes I stopped the Windows defender (win 10) for that game. And yes i updated the x86 and x64 files. It stops at the "initialising screen", I see a picture, hear the music an than comes sometimes the ck3 message, somestimes happens nothing.
Any solution? Thx!

In the game launcher please set Display mode to windowed.THEN go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

IF that doesn't help, Has the game ever run OK on this computer? Or never?

IF NEVER:
Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

IF IT USED TO WORK:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log

As mentioned before I did all what you wrote. It does not help. This gane is the only one in my steam library that makes such problems.
Any help would be appreciated. Thx!
OK, not able to send you the files because of:
"Oops! We ran into some problems.
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator. "

In the game's launcher, game settings, now set the game to fullScreen mode. Disable Vsync then set the refresh rate cap to 60.

Does thet help?

In the game's launcher, game settings, now set the game to fullScreen mode. Disable Vsync then set the refresh rate cap to 60.

Does thet help?
The short answer: sometimes like before. Sometimes it runs in windowed mode, next time only in fullscreen. Vsync seems not make any troubles. The really strange thing is, that ift the gane runs, it is stable without any crashes. Thx for your help.

Sometimes it runs in windowed mode, next time only in fullscreen.
I cannot explain that, it makes no sense really. I'm pretty sure you have a problem outside the game in some way, although quite what I cannot see as yet.

I notice this in that dxdiag:
+++ WER3 +++:
Fehlerbucket 1583869490661074995, Typ 4
Ereignisname: APPCRASH
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: bad_module_info
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 00000000
P4: StackHash_0000
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: 00000000
P8: PCH_84
Sadly Microsoft don't tell us which module they think is bad! But to me that points to a Windows problem. You might try this Windows repair tool: