• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

es333

Banned
53 Badges
Apr 16, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Hi!

I recently built a gaming PC as I don't have a life anymore, I picked out a really powerful CPU while fantasising about a completely smooth CK 2 experience. In reality, even 25 years into the game, my game is stuttering if I move around on the map while the game is on speed 3 or 4. Specifically I started as Armenia (Monarch's journey).

I'm playing in QHD but I could switch to just Full HD I guess. Also, could it be caused by running CK2 at 144hz?

Last edited:
Does this affect other games like EU4 and HOi4?

It only occurs after 25 years' play, or 25 years into the game?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox/CK2/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

It only occurs after 25 years' play, or 25 years into the game?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox/CK2/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

The problem occured after 25 years of playing as Hethum I so the start date is 1226. I noticed that the game stuttered less when I used 60hz instead of 144hz. The stutter only happens if my game is on speed ~4 and I'm moving around on the map so it's not a big issue but I was just surprised that it happened because of my powerful CPU.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    78,2 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,1 KB · Views: 0
Yes, I would certainly make refreshRate=60 in that settings.txt as that is the native rate of your monitor.

Can't really see anything else of concern in there.

Yes, I would certainly make refreshRate=60 in that settings.txt as that is the native rate of your monitor.

Can't really see anything else of concern in there.

...No it's not. :) I have a 144hz monitor and the difference in games like CS GO is like night and day compared to the previous 60hz screen I was using. Also, the country names do not become blurry if I span around the map in 144hz but they do become blurry when I use 60hz. The differences are visible even in CK2.

...No it's not. :) I have a 144hz monitor
According to your dxdiag:
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: Q27G2WG4
Monitor Id: AOC2702
Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)

If that's wrong, well, I don't know then. Maybe something in between like 72 or 120hz?

Disclaimer: I'm just another forum member

Stumbled over this thread, looked on the page of AOC for the screen and that mentions an LFC (Low Framerate compensation)
feature to avoid stutter at lower framerates : https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/q27g2u-bk (closest i coud find).

The AMD FreeSync Premium features a refresh rate of minimum 120Hz, decreasing blur and sharpening the picture for a more life-like experience. The LFC feature eliminates the risk of stutter in case the frame rate drops below the refresh rate.

So i'd guess you'd have to activate Radeon Freesync for the game to maybe see a difference.
That might help or not. I have no idea. maybe it's nonsense.
Just my interpretation.

The stutter can of course as well be caused by another program or whatnot.
A light stutter moving around the map at speed 4 is probably inevitable.

Last edited:
According to your dxdiag:

If that's wrong, well, I don't know then. Maybe something in between like 72 or 120hz?

Actually this part is correct: Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

For some reason the "native mode" shows 60hz for most monitors and is usually wrong when the monitor is anything except 60hz. There's plenty of discussion about it on the internet. My monitor is 100% running at 144hz.

Disclaimer: I'm just another forum member

Stumbled over this thread, looked on the page of AOC for the sceen and that mentions an LFC (Low Framerate compensation)
feature to avoid stutter at lower framerates : https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/q27g2u-bk (closest i coud find).

So i'd guess you'd have to activate Radeon Freesync for the game to maybe see a difference.
That might help or not. I have no idea. maybe it's nonsense.
Just my interpretation.

The stutter can of course as well be caused by another program or whatnot.
A light stutter moving around the map at speed 4 is probably inevitable.

I enabled Radeon Enhanced Sync for CK2 and I'll see if it does anything when I open up CK2 again.

But I was kind of expecting the game to stutter at speed 4 even if I have an extremely powerful CPU. Let's hope that CK3 is more capable of using powerful, modern CPUs. :)

I enabled Radeon Enhanced Sync for CK2 and I'll see if it does anything when I open up CK2 again.

I look forward to your report.
rM9OCeS.gif