• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I must have done something wrong previously, trying to run from command line has started the game! The cursor is misaligned by nearly an inch, but I will try to sort that by myself, before being any more of a pain in the arse.
Thanks for your help

Ok. I tried to run it the same way today, not having had the chance since my last message. Same problem cropped up. Here is the output:

charlie@Lisette ~ $ /home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities.x64
Found path: /home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities.x64
Mono path[0] = '/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libColossalNative.so'
Preloaded 'libpops_api.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Player data archive not found at `/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemcharlie@Lisette ~ $

I checked the path on the last line, and there is no "data.unity3d" inside the "Cities_Data" folder...
uninstalled game, as per previous directions. Re-installed game. Output =

charlie@Lisette ~ $ /home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities.x64
Found path: /home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities.x64
Mono path[0] = '/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libColossalNative.so'
Preloaded 'libpops_api.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Player data archive not found at `/home/charlie/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemcharlie@Lisette ~ $

still no "data.unity3d" folder or file
I'm sorry to trouble you. It Did run once. I have changed nothing else about it.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost with this one. You got it working for a while there, aside from a misaligned cursor? But now it stopped working at all again?

I don't think that player data error is significant.

Do the Linux OS logs record anything when it fails?

Sorry, I'm a bit lost with this one. You got it working for a while there, aside from a misaligned cursor? But now it stopped working at all again?

I don't think that player data error is significant.

Do the Linux OS logs record anything when it fails?

Not sure. I need to find the logs. I would already have done so, except the game ran for hours today, no issues. Thank goodness i saved before closing it, cuz I'm back to the same old problem. I will have logs posted by morning for you...

Not sure. I need to find the logs. I would already have done so, except the game ran for hours today, no issues. Thank goodness i saved before closing it, cuz I'm back to the same old problem. I will have logs posted by morning for you...
Heavens, ok it seems i was meant to check /var/log
there is nothing in there to denote Cities Skylines or Colossal Order, specifically. Neither is there anything for OS, per se, though there is "syslog." If there was anything unusual there, I cannot say, for I do not know the system at this level. I tried to look at "Faillog," with an office program but it was unintelligible. So there are 85 items in the Log folder. Is there any one item you were thinking of to check?

I don't remember enough about Linux system diagnosis to say, I'm sorry, it's been years since I did that as a job. I was hoping you'd know!

Very hard to understand how the game will run fine for hours one day but fail to start the next.

[/QUOTE]
I don't remember enough about Linux system diagnosis to say, I'm sorry, it's been years since I did that as a job. I was hoping you'd know!

Very hard to understand how the game will run fine for hours one day but fail to start the next.

Yes, it is very frustrating. Thank you for your help. I had hoped we would find some little quirk that required a quick fix and anyone else experiencing this would have a solution at hand.