• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think giving York the +3 bonus, but also removing it from some bonus missions might work to balance things out - they are a much tougher campaign (I'm having great fun - no screenshots yet). Perhaps, in order to remove the need for forming England, they don't have to hang on to Calais, or England gets another couple of missions that they can do, and only them.

This way, the Yorkists and the English both get max points for feats of comparable difficulty, which is the problem here.

I think giving York the +3 bonus, but also removing it from some bonus missions might work to balance things out - they are a much tougher campaign (I'm having great fun - no screenshots yet). Perhaps, in order to remove the need for forming England, they don't have to hang on to Calais, or England gets another couple of missions that they can do, and only them.

This way, the Yorkists and the English both get max points for feats of comparable difficulty, which is the problem here.

England is the easier more gentle road, York is the hard slog.

With York there should be little respite, and if someone begs for mercy and to be thrown into the darkest pit of Mordor, then that might possibly be a good sign.

The requirement for Calais in the secondary goals stays. Queen Mary was said to have Calais engraved on her heart after the stupide ninny lost the port to the French. It had been in English hands for longer than California's been a part of the USA. It was important, a big money earner and so it stays.

Hiram's York Game II

June1519.png

June 1519: My economy is doing well with fifteen merchants active and I was able to snap up two provinces in southern Ireland. Unfortunately opportunities for expansion are for the moment exhausted. Tyrone and Wales are English vassals and Lancaster is guaranteed by Scotland. France defeated England in a war and not only took Calais but now has a foothold in southern Wales. I currently have a regency council until six-year-old Edmund comes of age. I've also patched up relations with the Scots and we are allied.
I'm one gov tech away from NI #4 and it's gonna be QftNW. Those provinces in Ireland are going to come in handy when it comes to colonial range.

Can anyone tell me images from imgur don't show up? You're supposed to use the

View attachment 80910

June 1519: My economy is doing well with fifteen merchants active and I was able to snap up two provinces in southern Ireland. Unfortunately opportunities for expansion are for the moment exhausted. Tyrone and Wales are English vassals and Lancaster is guaranteed by Scotland. France defeated England in a war and not only took Calais but now has a foothold in southern Wales. I currently have a regency council until six-year-old Edmund comes of age. I've also patched up relations with the Scots and we are allied.
I'm one gov tech away from NI #4 and it's gonna be QftNW. Those provinces in Ireland are going to come in handy when it comes to colonial range.

Can anyone tell me images from imgur don't show up? You're supposed to use the tag, right?[/QUOTE]

Good stuff.

THis one:

Linked BBCode (message boards)

or just do trial and error

I use the "large thumbnail" size.

Last edited:

June 1529: I figured it was safe to become Protestant after seeing England had already done so. Scotland annexed one of Lancaster's two provinces and vassalised what was left. Once I took QftNW, I asked Denmark for military access to use Iceland as stopover point. -199 relations, chance of success: 'Very unlikely'--they agreed on the first try lol.
I've acquired my first colony, Pennacook, which is that little bit of Green on the eastern seaboard. I'm hurting badly for more colonists (current rate +0.50/year). England is in a PU under Portugal and is on course to get inherited(!)

Mmmmh. What does "continuous possession of Calais" mean, exactly? Started as York, so I do not have Calais - I could and probably will try to wrestle it from France, though.

Hiram's York Game IV

July 1539: Not much to report. I've expanded the army and fleet and have colonized Massachusetts. Castile grabbed Manhatten while I wasn't looking. You can see that I'm in the process of ferrying troops to Ireland to put down a rebellion there.

June 1549: My empire in America grows. I could have taken more Huron territory but I don't want to be hit with the overextended modifier. Adding these provinces is slowly raising my land force limits.

June 1559: Again, not much going on. I've got more merchants active with some monopolies going. I've a mind to give the Scots a good thrashing when my land force limits get up there. My Irish provinces are going to core soon.

June 1569: After sending a colonist to Conneticut, I decided to be a bit cheeky and declared war on Castile so I could snatch Manhatten. I grabbed it but am currently at war with them along with Denmark and Bohemia. I have built a modest but capable navy and now have more big ships than the countries I'm at war with. In the screenshot the Yorkist fleet stands ready to intercept any Danish attempt to invade Ireland.

take out lancashire as soon as possible, ally up with scotland, DoW on England, take their lands as fast as you can with mercs, DoW on Ireland with the conquer Ireland CB, change religions to protestant, Conquer Wales, then conquer dissolve scottish alliance, throw insults, DoW when relations are at 0 (or less) and enjoy

I'm really not sure how on earth you did this. In my game, Lancaster is in Englands sphere, allied with Scotland and half of Ireland. For kicks I tried dowing lancaster. It was me versus England, Scotland, Denmark, Castile, Portagul, Lancaster and Poland. I did get up to 3% warscore before getting completely annihlated. After 20 years or so of waiting, that was the best opportunity. Scotland Always had impossible for alliance even at 200 relations.

Some times I just dont' get this game lol.

Its War of the Rose without the actual war of the rose.

Edit: I forgot Aragon. They were dog piling me too. I think I finally understand what a cascading alliance is lol.

Mmmmh. What does "continuous possession of Calais" mean, exactly? Started as York, so I do not have Calais - I could and probably will try to wrestle it from France, though.

If England has already lost Calais, you as the successor state need to get it back.

Hiram

Remember to look for the 13 colonies region in region mapmode. Only those colonies are necessary.

dow the ally of lancaster day 1 u avoid scotland and its allies that way... u can annex england in 1 war if u get the irish prov to defect

So. I thought that starting as York would have been a pain...but it wasn't. That much. All a matter of timing. First obvious problem: England. Big, bad, first target. I spread out merchants, getting monopolies in Antwerpen and Lubeck (with the sliders and NTP as an idea, it is a decent trading power), and waited. Waited for the inevitable French war for Calais, of course: there was no chance in hell I could pass behind the Royal Navy as a TPM, and even if I did France knocking for its cores would have been a bad thing. Meanwhile I got some money in the piggybank, to pay for mercs, and shot for LT 18, for god army. SO! Imperialism CB, to keep the cores in England and later annexing it for 0 BB.

pRNX0qB.jpg

Just a couple of minor battles before this - France trounced their armies quite thoroughly. So far, so good. Notice Scotland attacking Lancaster - making this screenshot made me notice it and i DoWed myself.

So, annexed the spare province of Lancaster, waiting for London to fall...and somewhat Scotland decides it has to intervene and DoWs me.

UR5gub9.jpg

Luckily, Henry York is a 4-shock general: I recruit some mercenary cavalry more (all the while thanking France for giving me 25 ducats per month in war funds) and manage to chase them from York and to, in the end, claim some provinces.

deMTE3r.jpg

Things have started looking up - now I just had to wait for the truce with England to expire (5.2b made truces last 10 years instead of 5). I took the chance to move things around a bit. Took Gilded Iconography and swapped out CAD for Press Gangs, reached GT 17 and took Shrewd Commerce Practice (to help trade live through BB) and started moving towards Free Subjects, Plutocracy and Free Market.

js7GYFQ.jpg

Then, just as England loses Calais to France, I DoW. The war is quick and painless, but its effects are immediate.

kuRqSua.jpg

sQGzG0C.jpg

I cancel my current mission and Conquer Ireland comes up. I oblige, and Cornwall foolishly follows Ireland in the war. Both get eaten.

SlhFaOc.jpg

Then, with a new king (RIP Henry! You will be missed) a new mission: Vassalise Scotland. I think you know how hard this is going to be.

mebvjTW.jpg

Oh, right. As an aside: luck.

8AXYmux.jpg

So, back to the war with Scotland...

D4H6v9f.jpg

...done. Also we discover that we apparently hate the Pope - so very much that we strip him of power in England first AND we convert immediately after that. Hah.

p9Mp4Od.jpg

fpDoX2V.jpg

(This admittedly ruins me a bit - recovering from that stab hit takes a lot of time that doesn't go in research.)

Now rises another problem: the colonies rightfully being YorkEnglish are in Spanish hands! This cannot stand. An expedition is outfitted and a small army falls on the colonies. Sadly Portugal, allied with Castille, takes some back, and one (Connecticut) becomes a city before the saving expedition comes back. I have to blockade Portugal and sink their navy before they give up that single province.

xkvRRpy.jpg

But when Portugal falls, Castille does so as well is short order.

qsc9q5C.jpg

This is were I stand, for now. Scotland is going to be diploannexed soon, and that will cement my hold on the Isles. Then I'll need to rip the Barbados from Spanish hands as well, finish colonization of the East Coast and club France in the head for Normandy and Calais. All in all, things are good.

dow the ally of lancaster day 1 u avoid scotland and its allies that way... u can annex england in 1 war if u get the irish prov to defect

So wait Alliances can only cascade one level? So At the start If I DOW Lancaster, Only Scotland (not the danes, Scotlands Allies) will come? I know thats not what you suggested, i'm just giving a different example to see if I understand you correctly.

What he's saying is that there isn't a big enough power gap between Leinster and Lancaster, so if you day 1 DoW Leinster (their allies) you'll only get Lancaster in. Personally, I thought they were in England's sphere, but eh. The main problem with this is that you don't get to use either of your CBs on them.

What he's saying is that there isn't a big enough power gap between Leinster and Lancaster, so if you day 1 DoW Leinster (their allies) you'll only get Lancaster in. Personally, I thought they were in England's sphere, but eh. The main problem with this is that you don't get to use either of your CBs on them.

Uhm i thought what he meant, is that only the war leader can call in allies?

whatever...

My yorkist (why not yorkish) empire grows:

no one can take any of the thirteen colonies anymore, except via war. When they have all grown into a city i can field a army larger than 40k and then i will finally be able to deal with England. Sadly in the war of french reconquest of calais, the french fleet actually defeated the english fleet so they werent able to drop all their stacks in france until they would've run out of manpower and peaced out for calais. So i have to do it the hard way. Or reload...

Uhm i thought what he meant, is that only the war leader can call in allies?

whatever...

Yeah, but the war leader can change if one ally is significantly stronger than the calling war leader - this leads to cascading alliances, where we go Leinster -> Scotland -> England -> Poland -> Castille -> Austria -> France as war leaders, and you have quite a headache.

They are not in Englands Sphere at the get go. They will be sphered within 1 month (I know this because I tried RMing Scotland followed by military access so they wouldn't join Lancaster). Probalby not a good idea to get 16 infamy from Lancaster in thsi manner. Although cores are tasty.