• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While looking through the event files for the Hussites (in AGCEEP) a while back, I noticed that there are events that set your country back to Bohemia, but that allow you to remain under a Hussite Council / Utraquist Council government. Not sure if these are actually implemented, though.

I've played as Hussites a couple times, and while I usually don't run into too many problems (I manage to take all Romanist provinces except Silesia most of the time), I've never played past the 1440s (the main reason being my short attention span).

And I suppose the winter won't have any effect?

Just cover the friggin provinces and move out...

So I suppose having good economic and military capabilities is "The worst thing ever" :D

Yes, tied to Jan Zizka and Prokop Holý's ultimate skillz that should be used, it really bad. You could conquer the HRE in 20 years if it wasn't for their DIP. Dang. Okay, not really, but nearly. BB always screws Hussites.

While looking through the event files for the Hussites (in AGCEEP) a while back, I noticed that there are events that set your country back to Bohemia, but that allow you to remain under a Hussite Council / Utraquist Council government. Not sure if these are actually implemented, though.

Yes, they are implemented, IIRC. Utraquists are way better though. More DIP and, even better, you get Jiri later on.

Game of the destiny​

<- previous

Prague Castle - 11th April 1419

"Aah, welcome in my house, Jan. I didn't see you for a long time. Sit down and tell me how do you do," the king said friendly.
"Thank You, Majesty," Jan answered smilingly. Although they were good friends, Jan never dared to speak with him outside the borders of court formality. Jan continued: "I've had some problems in last days but mostly they are already solved."
"And who is this young man?" the king asked and turned towards Peter.
"Oh, excuse me please. Let me introduce Peter to You. We think that he is the one described in Hus's last letter."
"Glad to meet you, Peter. So, do you already know why are you here?"
"Pleasure on my side, Your Majesty. Jan and Žižka told me something but I still don't know what is exactly my job here."
King breathed in: "I'm afraid that I cann't help you in this task. Not because I don't want but because nobody know it exactly. We only know that you should be our saviour. But we don't know before what you should save us. The only clue we have is a God's sign he gave us. Sadly, his signs aren't always very clear. We had luck that Hus saw your portrait clearly and that he described you in his letter so well. You must find out at yourself what you can do."
"I'm interested if somebody thought about a possibility that Hus had only an illusion or that he thought it all up."
Jan answered on his question: "Of course, many people were sceptical. At least they didn't believe that it is possible to travel to the future. I had been sceptical too, but then His Majesty offered us his wizard Žito and after two years he finally prepared a potion for traveling in time. Rumours speak about his connections with dark powers. A fact is that Žito was able to say in which time we will find you. Then almost all doubts were gone."
"Rumours about dark powers? And don't the Church mind it?" Peter asked.
"Church don't know about his existance," the king answered. "He is under my protection. You know, I'm interested in Black Magic but almost nobody know it. Everything are only rumours."
"Sir," Jan said with a sad voice, "I have bad news for You. We are unable to return You Your wizard as we promised."
"What's the matter?"
"He isn't alive."
"What happened?" king asked with surprise.
"You know, ... he prepared two potions also for the other side, Zikmund's supporters. When Žižka found it out he executed him. I couldn't do anything. I was in Prague for Peter when he did it."
The king punched the table by his fist. He was snarky: "What the ... ? What he think about himself? I had borrowed you my best wizard, you had undertook to return him in order and now you're saying me that you executed him? Are you mad? What do you think that I will do now?"
"I'm sorry. But I saw on my own eyes what impact his betrayal had. Vilém z Chebu got in Peter's time and he almost killed him. Žito nearly caused our destruction."
King was already calmer, but his forehead was still wrinkled by wrath: "This depends on the interpretation of fire. ..... Because we are so good friends for so long time I'll do nothing. I'll give you only a warning."
When Petr heared Jan speaking about Žito's death, little worries came: "And what if I want to return? If Žito is dead, how I'll return?"
"Don't worry. Žižka told me that Žito already made a potion for you if you would want return," Jan answered and Peter was much calmer.
But now the king had worries: "Wait. You want to return now?"
His eyes were full of pleadings like he would want to say: "Please, stay! Help us!"
Peter noticed his sight and few reproaches appeared in his mind. Can he leave them to their destiny? What if Hus's vision was true and he really saw an angel? What if he really saw a blood and fire? Could it mean destruction of Bohemia? Or worse, a destruction of whole world? He felt that it's time to decide. He wanted to return home, into his time, but something deep inside him was telling him to stay. The king and Jan were looking on him with expectation of his choice. Peter felt that it would heve been easier for him if he had believed in God. But he didn't. He was a young people from future without faith. The preachement in Bethlehem Chapel then didn't so strong effect as Žižka supposed. Peter indeed felt some rightness of Hussitism but without faith he didn't feel Hussitism as a reason good enough to stay.
"I ... I want to return," Peter said and tried to set as much apologetic tone as he was able to do.
Jan was prepared on this answer but the king was surprised. It was visible how he feel bad about it. Against Peter's expectations they didn't persuade him. For a while they were sitting in a quietude, without any words.

At the end Jan decided to stop this pitty silence: "Your Majesty, now I would want to speak about a reason of our visit. Each day the Hussitism spreads a bit but with this also problems with Church increase. In several places of Bohemia already took place several conflicts. Nobility is pursuing Hussites as heretics and an intensity of their actions is increased by each conflict. If it will continue, it could end as a civil war."
"And what can I do with it? You know that I'm for Church reformation and in many points I agree with Hussites. But what should I do more? Tell the nobility to not pursue them?"
"Sir, You should make official exclamation about Hussitism. Show publicly your support of Hussites."
The king stood up and went to a window. He was looking somewhere to the distance and was thinking about Jan's words.
Still turned to window, he said: "This isn't so easy."
"But You are the only one who can stop possible catastrophe."
"If I'll support you oficially, then high nobility will dethrone me. My brother Zikmund will be then much better candidate for the throne. Nobility wants somebody who will do things as they want."
"You must be more stricter on them. You must show them that You are the king. They will not dethrone You if they'll have a respect of You."
"You see everything very easy, Jan."
"Your Majesty, make official exclamation and show the nobility that they cann't manipulate with You," Jan said pleadingly.
"You are same as your father," the king said and finally turned. "I'll do it."
On his face were a smile. He was thinking how will the nobles have acid faces when he will, at least for a while, do things as he wants and not as the nobility. "Yes, I'll do it. I'll exclaim Hussitism as a second official faith."

Then they were speaking whole day. Only in the evening Jan and Peter left Prague Castle and rode back to Tábor. On their way Peter noticed that Jan is worrying about something.
"What is happening?" he asked.
Jan woke up from his thoughts: "Heh? What did you say?"
"What are you thinking about? I see that you worry about something. Isn't it because of me, is it?"
"No, no. It's about the king's exclamation."
"He said that he will support you. Or you think that he lied?"
"He spoke truth but he will not make the exclamation as he promised."
"Why you think so?" Peter asked.
"For now he is probably decided to do it, but when the nobility find it out, they will quickly prevail him. And he will not resist."

In the meantime the king was sitting in his cabinet. He had quill in his hand and was preparing his speach. On his desk lay stacks of documents which he had to subscribe. When he was in the middle of his speach, a man came. It was Vilém z Chebu.
He bowed and started: "We must speak about something, Your Majesty."
"If You don't see, I have a lot of work here. We'll discuss Your thing later."
"It's important," Vilém said with a severe and urgent voice.
The king lay his quill down: "So, what is the matter?"
"I've heared that You want officialy support Hussites."
"Yes, I want. But this isn't your problem."
"It is my problem. And it is a big problem."
"But my decision is final."
"It wouldn't be good if Rome will find out that the king of Bohemia is turning to a heretical faith."
"What You want to say thereby?"
Vilém sneered: "We needn't contact Rome if You'll choose the right way."
"I've choosed it already."
"It could be interesting to vote on a next meeting of nobility about an insanity of monarch, if he is still able to wear a crown. Think about it!" Vilém said and left.
VclavIV.gif

next ->​

Last edited:
Mmm, this are coming to a head.

Will Peter return or will he stay?
Will Jan let him go or will he try to stop him?
Will Vilém succeed in his threat or he miscalculated?

New continue will come soon. By the end of the weekend ...

EDIT: Excuse me, please, that the release isn't still here as I promissed. I changed some parts of the prepared continue which moved the release time. Now I'm translating it so it should be here by tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Game of the destiny​

<- previous

Tábor - 11th April 1419

The way ran the riders quite quickly, though they didn't hurry now as in the morning. When they arrived back to Tábor, the sun was already behind the horizon, but there were still enough of light. Few children were still playing on the hillside, adults had their work mostly already done too so they were coming together and talking. Kateřina stood on the door yard of his house below the oak a was sweeping yet.

"Are you already here? What kind celebration it was?" she asked when she saw Peter.
"Interesting," he answered and jumped off the horse.
"I've prepared a dinner for you. You have it on a table."
"Thanks. I was already starving. Can I help you then?" he asked her with a pleasant beam.
Kateřina tittered: "Sweeping? This isn't work for men."
"Peter, take a rest today. Tomorrow in the morning I'll accompany you back to Prague, where you'll be able to return," said Jan and hoped he would get a little more time to persuade him to stay.
Peter didn't take any exception to it and Jan had a feeling that he could keep his eyes on Kateřina. Should he liked her? Maybe Jan could exploit it. As soon as Peter disappeared in a house-place, Jan dismounted and sidled up to Kateřina, wonder she didn't flump him with a broom.
"It appears, that he's wathing you with liking." he said.
Kateřina stoped sweeping for a while: "Who, Peter?"
"What ever you didn't notice it? He cann't lower his eyes from you."
"Do you really think that he like me?" she asked with a little abashment. "He is here only one day."
"Why not? You are beautiful young maid. You both are approximately in same age."
Kateřina blushed slightly and Jan in the meantime stroke upon an idea how use her to persuade Peter.
"I would need a little help from you. Peter want to return and I don't know how persuade him to stay."
"Why you don't simply forbid it him?" said Kateřina ridiculously.
"I cann't. I need him to stay from his own choice. If I'll hold him here by force, he won't choose to help us. Stay here is something different than help us."
Kateřina asked: "And from me you want to prevail him?"
"Not exactly. I want so that you'll seduce him."
Kateřina stood dumbfounded sometime. What ever is Jan serious about it? Though he cann't want something like this from her. Soon she frowned and she fetched him a sizable slap. Jan breathed deep in and out to digest the disgrace.
"It's for a good thing," he said.
Kateřina answered him by a second slap. "And why you don't ask your wife? This isn't so perfect idea, is it?" she added pointedly.
"Because you are young, attractive, and Peter like you. It would be no problem for you to seduce him."
Third hit didn't take place. Jan caught Kateřina's hand and he griped it sturdily.
"Release! It hurts!" she uttered a groan.
"For the next time remember one thing: don't answer me back any more. Today you'll do what I've told you," he said sharply and let Kateřina go.
She began sweeping again as if Jan wasn't standing there. She purposely sweeped so heavily to whirl up most of the dust. When Jan began cough, she ran over his legs fewtimes by broom.
"Imshi! You're hampering!" she said venomously.
"But don't forget what you are to make," Jan answered, turned and went his way.

Kateřina was then still sweeping sometime to finish her work. But she was so resentful so she soon gave over it, leant the broom and sat down on a bench below a window. She even didn't notice a shadow which flashed behind the window. She felt oppression. What is she to do? Seduce somebody she even don't know properly? Tears scramble into her eyes. She hid her head into her palms and quietly wept. After a while Jakub went along. He was returning from a forest where he was with several other men on a hunt. Many people wondered already manytimes that such a buster is doing such works. Most of the people envisioned under the word "Fat Man" a man with a paunch as a barrel who spends most of his energy only to stand up and only a little power remains them for a proper work. But Jakub was different. Despite of people's images about fat men's laziness, Jakub was doing the more of useful work the more he hefted. In Tábor he was famous for his strength and for his friendly temper. He was on good terms with everybody. But one people from Tábor he favoured most. It was Kateřina. Jakub admired her for her power and courage with which she was facing her hard fate. He had a soft spot for her.
"That'll be a feast tomorrow," he called out to her when he saw her sitting in front of the house.
Kateřina raised her head and wiped her tears. A look on Jakub behunged leastwise by fifteen hares and several partridges set her laughing. But the laugh failed to overlay her tear-strained face.
"You wept? Somebody harmed you?" he asked apprehensively.
"No, nobody," she answered with a smile, although it was her still to the crying.
"So you are weeping here for nothing?" Jakub asked, shed his load, sat next to her and dried her faces.
"It's derisory."
"It is because of some shaver, am I right?"
"So a little."
"Show me who is it and I'll give him a lesson, no matter what he already performed you."
Kateřina tittered: "Thanks. It will not need already."
"Otherwise do what I am doing, properly take some food. At a good food, man forget on all worriment."
Kateřina smiled and kissed him on a face. She knew that Jakub is then always on edge and this always entertained her.
"But keep quiet. Otherwise I'll think that you were creating here the new saline of Vltava because of me. Then I would had to thump alone," said Jakub rosily and stood up. He gathered up hares and partridges and yet before he left he added: "So I'll go. But I'll leave here one of the partridges for you."
Jakub left her the finest one he has. Kateřina was then still sitting outside for a while. Jakub always managed improve people's mood and he managed it now again. She wasn't thinking on her task now. She listened rustle of the forest and watching on flocks of birds ridging the sky. It was getting dark already. Wind was blowing stronger, rustle of the forest was growing and birds were flying lowly like they had fear that the sky will fall on them. A storm was comming. But from where? On the sky were only few cloudlet. Maybe it will come from the east. Kateřina didn't see there. Near forest and her house prevented her in it. She took the partridge and went keep out of the strengthening wind.

When she entered the house-place, she was all tremulous. She was again thinking about task Jan gave her. She sat down to Peter and was quietly waiting. She was sitting uneasilly and all the time she was thinking about something. Peter didn't say anything and slowly ate up his dinner. Outside it was getting dark quicklier than in another time and only a candle in the middle of the table was lighting the dark house-place by its frolicsome pilot light. Shadows in quier corners were dancing as if they had some festival. Only a tomcat on an oven was lazily weltering. Kateřina was looking at Peter. When she was thinking about it now, maybe she quite liked him. Nevertheless she was still more and more unquiet with each his mouthful.
In the end Peter didn't endure it: "You don't need to do it."
"What?" she asked with surprise.
"I've heared you. You and Jan. I know what he told you. Not that I should don't like you, in this Jan was right, but I don't want so that you'll do something you would deplore it sometimes in a future."
Kateřina didn't know what to say, only one thing: "Thank you. .......... And ... will you stay here?"
Peter shaked his head in sence of dissent.
"And can I prevail you somehow?" she asked.
He was silent. He wanted to get home at any costs but he has also qualms.
At the end he asked: "Would you be able to realize Jan's command?"
"I? ...... Yes."
"Whould you sacrifice yourself?"
"Yes."
Peter was fascinated by Kateřina's resolve. Would he was able on her place to do something like this?
"I'll see," he said.
Kateřina noded and stood up: "It's late already."
She was waiting what would Peter do. She was prepared even if he would change his decision and would want to spend a night with her.
"So good night. We'll see us in the morning," he said composedly.
Kateřina endowed him with a pleasant beam: "Good night and thanks."
When she was in doors she turned once again: "Stay, please."

Tábor - 12th April 1419

It was still a deep night when was Peter waked up by a big crack. It sounded as if somewhere near somebody fire out from a cannon. Outside it was raining cats and dogs. A window was buffeted by torrents of water and sometimes it was alighted by brightly white gleam.
"Common storm," Peter thought and closed his eyes.
But he immediately opened them again. Something he didn't like. Something was different than in previous night. But what? Near the door stood a wooden wardrobe, below the window was a table with his things, on an orange alighted wall hung a small picture, ... This is it! The orange light! It was comming from outside. It was of such special, as it was twinkling, changing. It was same as a light from the candle in the evening in the house-place. This could mean only one thing. A fire! Peter jumped off his bed as when they fire into him. He quickly took some clothes on and ran out. In the door he almost knocked against Kateřina. She was also going out to see what's happening. On the door-yard they petrified in mute astonishment. One of the wooden houses was in flames. For now only its part was burning but it was visible how the fire is moving quickly. Nobody was outside. Nobody was extinguishing. Everybody was sleeping. What ever nobody heard the crack? Peter recuperated first.
"Fire! Fire!" he began to shout at whole village. "Kateřina, where do you have buckets? Quickly."
Kateřina didn't linger and quckly brought what she has. After few whiles the village was rife with people. Men, women, even bigger childern were running with buckets. The nearest water was only in Vltava. The way from the burning house to the bank and back wasn't just the shortest. In addition the soil was draggled and it had to go uphill on one's way to the fire. Most of the bucklets spill when its carrier sliped and fell on the mud. Whirl in the village was utter chaos. Jan was trying to command it a bit. Not until few long minutes he managed to form a chain from people. Bucklets were then handed without any need to make a step from the place. It was victory over the mud, but by far not over the fire. The roof was one large furnace and the bucklets with water had no way how to get there. On the top of it the rain, which kept the fire short till now, subsided. Jan formed another chain. The rest of people had to running. They were not enough to form third chain. Several men loaded one of the village waggon with barrels, put two horses to it and drove to the river. They filled the barrels there and drove to the fire that people would have it closer. In the meantime it stopped raining at all.
Peter, joined in the chain and standing close to Jan said: "We should steep also the surrounding buildings. The heat is drying them out and they could catch fire too."
Jan followed his advice. The village was very valuable than that he would risk.
When was waggon with barrels by the fire at second time, an unimportant question occured to Peter: "Whose house it is exactly?"
Jan stumbled over it, like he was thinking whose house they are extinguishing.
"Žito's," he answered after a short while.
"Žito's? And did he has there some potions?" Peter asked with a consternation.
"Yes. A lot of them."
Peter left the chain and ran to Žito's house. Kateřina stood on the waggon with barrels and was taking on the water to the buckets. She noticed how Peter is running to them, is waving his hands and is shouting something. Over the cracking of the beams and howl of the fire she didn't understand any word. What is he calling? His face alighted by the fire seemed to be horrified.
Now he is closer and Kateřina dimly distingushes his words: "Run Away! Quickly run away!"
Kateřina misunderstood why, but she forboded that it has something with the fire. In the same time a big crack sounded from the house and from the doors and windows powerful flames erupted. An explosion exactly rent the house to a pieces. Beams flew to all sides. Several men around disappeared in flaming spires, several other were hitted by flying pieces of beams and planks. A blast wave swept Kateřina down and overturned the waggon even with horses.

ho345cit367vd367m2.jpg

Several people came to make the horses free, several ran to wounded. As first was by Kateřina village healer and Jakub, who were from all people closest to her. The healer measured her beat. His face was worried. Nothing! Without life! He looked at Jakub kneeling next Kateřina's passive body. He didn't have to say anything. Jakub read everything from his sight.
"No! Not her!" he began lament. "God, why you didn't take rather me?"
Jakub held her in fold and from his eyes were tears running down over his chubby faces. His bonniest people died. A group of people was standing there with slouch head. Who had a hat, he put it down. Peter scraped through the group and kneel facing Jakub.
"She is dead," Jakub sobbed. "She is dead," he repeated and continued in heartbreaking cry.
"Lay her down," Peter asked him.
Jakub was clasping her with his bulky arms. He didn't want to release her, he didn't want to take leave of her.
"Jakub, lay her down," Peter insisted.
"Why?"
In the meantime also Jan scraped through to them. Peter saw in his sight a surprise. He still didn't recuperate from the unforseen explosion. Now he has here many wounded and several dead.
Even Jan didn't sense why want Peter after Jakub to lay Kateřina down, but he trusted him: "Do what he has said. Lay her down."
Jakub did bidding. Peter checked a pulse. He didn't feel any. He put his hands on her chest and pressed three times. Then he flung her head back, pluged her nose up and breathed into her. And again. One, two, three, breath. One, two, three, breath. People around didn't understand what he is doing. A priest was already reciting a prayer above Kateřina and Peter was still doing something what villagers misunderstood. But a result wasn't still comming.
"Please, come back," Peter said.
He slowly subsided to believe.
"This has no effect," he thought.
Last time he pressed her chest and last time he brethed into her. Then he was only kneeling next to her with slouch head. She was really dead.
Gossip began to spread through the group of people: "What it should mean? So a disrespect to a dead."
Uncomprehending and reproachful sights were looking on him from all sides. Even Jan disparagingly shaked his head.
"Quickly bring water! She is alive!" somebody suddenly exclaimed.
As when a thunder hit to everybody. Kateřina was alive. Through ajared eyes she was looking around. Jakub's face irradiate with a grin. He jumped up, caught Peter and embraced him with his strong arms as the best friend.
"Let me go. You'll mash me," Peter beseeched.
Jakub let Peter go and was laughing. So big pleasure he didn't has for a long time. People were looking on that wonder agape. Something like this they never seen it before. Jan in front of Peter kneel down with respect and lowly slouch his head. Others followed him. At this moment whole village was bowing down in front of Peter.
Jakub on Peter's command took still enervate Kateřina on his arms and took her home. Others rushed back on the rest of fire. From Žito's house didn't survive a lot. Beams cluttered around the surroundings were extinguished easily and the rest what survived from the house was extinguished by the morning. That night lost 13 people their lifes. 9 men, 3 women and one child. Next 35 were wounded. Žito's house was razed to the ground and only little would sufficed to catch fire also neighbouring houses.

After a daybreak everything was done. Jan told carefully to Peter that his potion to travel back was inside. Peter expected it, but nevertheless he was very heavy-hearted. He was walking around the scene of fire and waded in the ashes, like he would hope, that the potion will be still somewhere there, even if he knew that it is impossible. He was also looking around the village a watching its everyday run. People were tired after troublesome night though, but if they wanted something to eat, they had to work. Fishermen went to the river fishing fish, several women went with them that they'll wash dirty clothes. Several men went in the forest for wood and several went to sell something in neighbouring villages. On the background of idylic village life Peter was however finding why is the village called Tábor. Tábor means "camp" in czech. On the first view ordinary village wagoons were equipped by unwonted number of hooklets, among the village tools he found flails with nailed sharp spikes but also all-metal maces, in halls were hidden spears or other long weapons. Here and there he also found crossbows.
Before the noon Jakub seeked him: "Kateřina wants to see you."
"Does she already feels better?" he asked.
"Yes. Thanks of you. I'll never forget it to you. Everytime you'll need anything, I'll be to your hand." Jakub said with smile.
"Thanks, I'll keep it in mind," Peter answered and went to look at poor Kateřina.
She was still enervate though, but she already looked much better. Peter then took care of her for the rest of the day and Kateřina began love him more and more.

Prague Castle - 12th April 1419

The King was sitting on a throne and with supported chin he was thinking about something.The hall was already empty. Audience finished before half an hour and he didn't has many things on todays program. His head was full of thoughts about the meeting of nobility and about the Hussites. He came to realize that the nobility is using him only as a puppet and as a King he is more likely only ridiculus. He wasn't just the youngest and he knew that his end could come soon. He was commemorating what he ever made alone. Alone without the nobility. It wasn't too much. And what he ever did for his people? Increased taxes? Gave nobility more power? Every order he remembered he ever set up has its origin in mouth of one of the nobles. Václav lived in a shadow of glory of his father, Karel IV. If people should remember him, its time to undertake finally something. Something own, something good, and something great. An exclamation about the Hussites were ideal opportunity. However he had fear from Vilém's threats. Nobility dethroned him already in Germany. What if they'll try it again in Bohemia?
The King's mind suddenly appeared a thought, which he was somehow leaving out. How could Vilém exactly find out about the exclamation so soon? And how he got to Prague so quickly? Somebody had to tell it to him. Somebody from the castle. He must find the offender and punish him. At any cost! He called his secretary.
"What Your Majesty needs?" the secretary asked.
"I need to find out who and when from the servants left yesterday the castle, when he returned, when Vilém z Chebu arrived and who talked with him yesterday inside and also outside the castle walls."
"May I ask, why Your Majesty needs these informations?"
"I need to find out one rat," the King answered.

next ->​

Last edited:
Some intrigues there, and some questions. Who is our arsonist?

Game of the destiny​

<- previous

West of Erz - 16th April 1419

A piggeon circle threetimes round the castle. It stood on a cliff above the river Ohře. Below the castle was spreading a town of Cheb. The piggeon had a message tied to his leg. It was inconspicuous messenger. Who cares about little birds flying in the altitude? The piggeon finished its third circuit and flew to the one of opened castle windows. The room inside was ostentatiously equipped and decorated. Nice glyphic wooden table stood below a large portrait of Karel z Chebu, Vilém's grandfather. In the corner stood shiny armour, above doors hung padded head of old stag of twelve-point antlers. Whole one wall was covered by hunting trophies, from small fallow-deers and roebucks to a head of wild boar with menacing tusks. The largest trophy was placed in the middle of the wall, a skin of hefty bear. From the celling hung a chandelier, but without any candle. Instead of it there were used several candleholders around the room. Vilém never allow to use the chandelier because below it he has a magnificent vari-coloured carpet from distant Persia. He was too afraid that driping wax could damage it.

000930-001kopie.jpg

Captain of feudal army stood in front of him. Vilém offered him a wine and the captain didn't refuse.
He poured the wine in two cups and said: "So, You succeed."
"Yes, my lord."
"Did they resist lot?"
Captain took one cup with wine and answered: "It was hard fight."
It looked like Vilém didn't like to hear this. With small fears he asked: "And our casualties?"
"Twenty men ... and eight are heavy wounded."
Vilém almost droped his cup of wine when captain said the numbers. He expected that whole action will be only with few casualties, if any. Captain's task was destroy a small group of Hussites hiding in near village Tršnice.
"What? Twenty men from fifty?" Vilém asked with surprise and captain felt also increasing passion in his voice.
"Yes my lord. But we captured their leader and the rest of the group is destroyed or captured too. And You know, Hussites are resisting more and more."
"And this is why they must be eliminated as soon as possible."
Captain said nothing. He knew that Vilém is right. Groups of Hussites were causing problems to any catholic lord almost all over the kingdom. Each day they were stronger. Each day they were more united. Each day they had larger support of local people. Incomes from indulgences were freezed, holy Church was pressing on the nobility to solve Hussite problem quickly, some people of Hussite faith refused obedience to their local lord when he was catholic. Diplomatic ways trying resolve these problems failed, so no wonder that lords began using a military power. Until now nobody sent against Hussites more than thirty soldiers. Also the groups of Hussites had something around twenty men. Fights were taken as ordinary steps against rebels or bands of footpads. Vilém was the first lord who sent against Hussites so many soldiers. He was also the first lord with so many casualties.
His face was anxious. Even when he won, Hussites caused him problems.
"How it occured? So many casualties against several Hussites?" he asked.
Captain swallow idly: "They ..."
"They what?"
"They had support of local people."
"Support of local people? Do You want to say that local people helped Hussites in the fight against You, or what?"
"Yes, my lord," captain said and made noteless step backwards. "Several people from Tršnice took their pitchforks and attacked us when we weren't awaiting it."
Vilém stood a while as a stone. It was a shock for him. A fact that people from Tršnice offerd Hussites a shelter was enough to punish the village, but they even dared to attack his soldiers.
When Vilém didn't say anything, captain tried to break oppressive atmosphere in the room: "Every villager who raised a weapon against us was punished on his life."
Vilém was looking to the ground. His head still didn't accept captain's words.
"My lord?" captain said and was awaiting his reaction.
Vilém looked at him. Noble's face was a mixture of moods. Surprise, anger, shock, refusion and also ... a fear.
"Take the soldiers," he said finally.
Captain didn't understand a reason of Vilém's command: "What?"
"Take the soldiers and return to Tršnice. Take every man, every woman and every child and lock them in their houses. And then ... burn the village. Burn the village to the ground. Erase Tršnice from the map of world with all their inhabitants. Guard the fire, guard windows and doors of every house. Be sure that the fire will get its food. Nobody must survive. Nobody! If they want to fight as Hussites, then they'll be Hussites and will die as Hussites."
This command was a big surprise for the captain: "My lord, I understand that You are distraught, but is it necessary?"
"Do You want to infirm my decision?"
"No, I would never afford it ..."
"Then do what I said."
"Even children?"
"Children are weak and will easy succumb. Hussites managed to persuade much older and stronger people. People from Tršnice are infected by Hussite lies and their children too. We cann't leave these corns of scum germinate and grow. Resistance must be eliminated with its roots."
Captain drunk his wine. He wasn't sure if he is able to complete Vilém's command. Indeed he was a soldier, but he was also a human. On one side stood his duties and on the other side stood his heart. He thought that Vilém's command is too cruel and needless, but he didn't dare to answer his lord back.
On his way home he visited local cemetery. In front of a grave of one woman he kneeled. It was a grave of his wife. He kneeled quietly but though he spoke. He told with his wife inwardly, he asked her for a help in hard task he had in front of him. The God knows how long he was there and the God knows what he thought about. His wife was killed on her way to a church. She never harmed anybody. She never had any enemies. She was only in a wrong time on a wrong place. As a beasts, as an impersonate terror, several people attacked her. They beat her by sticks to an insensibility. And even when her body lay on a ground they didn't stop. They beat her still and still, until they were sure she is dead. How cruel act it was. How mindless and despicable. And why? Only because she believed in the God. Only because she was well-ordered Christian. Only because she was Catholic. Only because she met several thoughtless Hussites.

next ->​

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt that sort of behaviour is really gong to work.

As a lord of that area he must ensure people obedience. He wants to use Tršnice as a deterrent case. If people will not obey, they'll be punished.

Thank you all for your interest. :)

Recapitulation of what happened:
Our hero, Peter, were transported with an assistance of unknown man from present days into year 1419, where he is awaited as a saviour before the destruction of the Bohemian kingdom or even whole world, as many people think because of letter from Jan Hus. Situation in Bohemia is on edge, but Peter refused any help and want to return into "his" time. However, in village Tábor break a fire which destroyed a house of executed wizard Žito with all his potions, including also potion for traveling in time, thus destroing Peter's only chance to return home.
In the meantime the King is solving problems with his autority above the nobility that is manipulating with him as with a puppet. Vilém z Chebu, one from the high nobility, is putting pressure on him to abandon plans of supporting Hussites. King is looking for an eventual traitor that is giving informations to Vilém.
In last update we looked into Cheb where Vilém commanded his captain by destroying a village, which afforded to stand on the Hussite side and fight against Vilém's soldiers. Captain lost his wife because of Hussites, but Vilém's command seem to him as far too cruel.

Hussites are back! Continue will come soon!

Game of the destiny​

<- previous

Cheb, West part of Erz - 16th April 1419

After his visit of the cemetery the captain went home. His three children were already awaiting him. The five years old daughter Jana and four years old son Tomáš fell around his neck when he entered the house-place. His oldest daughter Eliška in the meanwhile prepared a soup for him. She was nine and since the death of their mother she was keeping the house. During the dinner, Jana and Tomáš were foreruning one another in telling their father their adventures and experiences from the whole day. Beside the shining faces of his children, captain's face looked heavy. Jana and Tomáš were too intented into their tellings to notice it, but Eliška, sitting across from her father, was thinking how to make him little bit happier. After the dinner the captain had to go to barracks. When he was leaving his children at home, Eliška remembered on a wreath from flowers that Jana binded today. She cock Jana the eye and as a lightning Jana disappeared in the doors and returned with the wreath in her hands, giving it as a present to her father. Now captain smile a bit. Jana was so pleased that she managed make him happier and make a large grin. Captain laughtered and playfuly fuzzed her hair.
In barracks he took a regiment of three hundred soldiers. They went by foot, captain himself and the second commander were riding a horses. In three abreast they left Cheb, marching east along the river Ohře they were heading to Tršnice. After twelve miles the regiment turned to the north. Passing two small villages where they evoked astonishment of local people they arrived to a large forest. On a forest crossroad they turned to north-east and marched another few miles.

Tršnice, nort-east from Cheb, West part of Erz - 16th April 1419

The village Tršnice lay in a small valley, surrounded from south-west, west and north by the forest. To the south were fields of the people, to the east were fields of Church and lords. Through the village flowed a small brook that was entering Ohře to the south. The people didn't work on a fields because they had a lot of work with burials of deads and in addition the headboroughs ran away after facing the Hussites and didn't returned yet. On the village green stood a group of people and in their center a mayor.

"Now we have no other chance. Vilém will not keep us at rest." one tall man said.
Mayor tried to sober down the group: "Wait, Vilém hasn't any reason ... "
"Reason? Our village attacked his solders! This is more than good reason."
"The rebels were already punnished. When we'll show our obedience, nothing can happen."
Now one old man stood out the group: "Question is, how long we'll be able to obey his orders."
"What you mean?" mayor asked.
"I'm old and during that time I've already collected some experiences. Vilém is disgraced by the uprising and he must now show that he has situation resolutely in his hands. He will most probably increase the fees, give us more work and place here more headboroughs to discourage us from similar rebelions. Vilém has nature similar to his father and we're now standing in front of very hard times."
"You're old and don't know what you're speaking about." somebody exclaimed from the crowd.
"No, he's right." said another voice.
Even mayor agreed.
"This is the reason why we must ask Hussites for help." the tall man said.
Mayor shaked his head: "No, this will madden Vilém even more."
"So what You're proposing? Obey Vilém's commands and suffer his tyranny?"
"Yes." A mutter spreaded through the crowd of people and mayor had to increase his words rapidly to talk them down: "When we'll endure it, everything will return into normal way after some time."
"And how long time it would be? Week? Month? Year? It's also possible that Vilém wont let us alone until his death!" a voice from crowd answered him.
"We can find a help in Hussites. When we'll tell them about our situation, they'll surely agree." the tall man continued in persuasion of mayor.
"Did you already forget what happened today? Because of Hussites we were burying our neighbours, husbands or fathers. Do you want it again?"
"The Hussites will understand us and will place here more men."
"And Vilém will send more soldiers. This isn't a solution."
"It's much better than work as a mule."
"This village has its experiences with Hussites already, and these experiences are more than enough. We'll not ask Hussites and this is my last word." mayor said vigorously.
Another mutter spreaded through the crowd until somebody exclaimed: "When Hussites can't come to us, we'll come to Hussites!"

After this the people went by their way. Only mayor stood still on the village green, looking on the sunset above the forest. Suddenly he noticed some movement on the forest's borders. It was captain with his soldiers.
Captain was spreading his men along the forest to cut the villagers from the safest escape route. When the regiment were prepared, captain turned aginst the village. He drew his sword and prepared to give the order. Looking down the slope on the village he had dryness in his mouth. Now he remembered on his children and took the wreath from Jana. Munching the wreath in his hand he was looking on the people in the village. He was looking what they were doing, seeing families, playing children, blameless women.
"Stay here!" he said and spur his horse.
He rode to village green, where stood mayor. He was flabbergasted. When Captain arrived, he was almost unable to say hallo.

"Where is the mayor of this village?" captain asked.
"It ... it's me." mayor said.
"Well. This village is commanded to be destroyed with all its inhabitants! We are here to burn the village!"
"But, .. why? W...what we did?" mayor asked with shaky voice.
"It's command from Vilém z Chebu!"
"We'll do anything what sir Vilém wants, but please, spare our village."
"Vilém wants to burn it! ... But I'm not of same opinion."
Mayor was confused: "I don't understand."
"I'll keep all of you alive if you'll leave the village immediately."
"Immediately? It's evening and soon it'll be night. We can't travel now, even when we don't know where to go ..."
Captain sighed and after a while of thought he said: "Then leave the village in the early morning and burn each house when you'll be leaving it."
"Gramercy, sir. We'll leave with the daybreak."

Captain then turned his horse and returned to his men.
"Soldiers, assembling formation!" captain commanded.
The long row along the forest then ran into a rectangular formation in front of the captain. Second commander stood up to the left of the regiment.
Then captain continued with a military voice: "In front of you is a village! This village is burning and its inhabitants are locked inside the houses! Nobody survived! This village was burned by us! Did you understand?"
The regiment answered in chorus: "YES, SIR!"
"What do you see?"
"BURNING VILLAGE, SIR!"
"Where are the people?"
"LOCKED IN THEIR HOUSES, SIR!"
"Who survived?"
"NOBODY, SIR!"
"Who burned it?"
"WE, SIR!"
"Commander, command the departure!" said captain in the end.
Second commander ordered: "Three abreast turn out! ... Turn right! ... Forward march!"

Cheb, West part of Erz - 17th April 1419

Captain almost didn't sleep. He had full head of the village and had a bad foreboding. It was still night when captain stood up. When on the east the sky was already getting light, he went to barracks.

On the yard he commanded: "LINE UP!"
Then began an embroilment. Soldiers were running across the yard, finding their regiments and forming in formations. But three regiments were missing.
When captain noticed it, he quickly commanded: "FALL OUT!"
Then he took his horse and pricked along the Ohře to Tršnice. When he arrived to the borders of the forest, he stoped. People were preparing to leave the village and in the farther side of it were already burning first houses. Captain respited. But not for long. Suddenly from the village sounded a scream. Group of women were running between the houses and behind them ... soldiers! When the women were crossing the bridge over the brook, obout fifteen soldiers ran out from the side lanes on the other side, quickly forming a wall and lowering their spears against them. They didn't spare anybody.

Runningvillagers.jpg

On the other side of the village sounded a scream and cry of children. Some people died by sword or spear, but most were locked in the houses, as Vilém commanded yesterday. Soldiers were guarding windows rolling back anybody who tried to use it as an escape from the house. Several men were walking from house to house sparking the thatched roofs and throwing torches through the windows into the house-places. Captain cought a sound of horse behind him, but didn't turned.

"Nice view on whole village, isn't it?" he heard Vilém's voice.
Vilém stoped next to captain and continued: "You dissapointed me. I thought that my command is clear."
Captain answered with displeasure: "This isn't command, this is tyranny!"
"Sad that you see it this way. But it has its reason."
"Reason? Your vanity?"
"Choose your words carefully. ... You know, You're soldier and I'm a lord. Your scope is war, my is governance. As I don't now everything about war, you don't know everything about governance."
"And this has to justify this act?"
Vilém shaked his head: "I had to do it."
"Why? ... Tell me why?"
"Because my authority were undermined. I hadn't to allow that the villages would mind that they can rebel without punishment."
"Rebels from this village were already punished by us. Destroying of this village was unnecessary." said captain watching on the fire.
"This is the difference between us. You don't see in the politics. I used Tršnice as a deterrent case for all others. They will think twice if the will or won't rebel. Here we showed our power and they can see that they would haven't chance against us."
"And, how You exactly, get to know that the village wasn't burned?"
"Luckily, some commanders have still some sence for duties and loyalty." answered Vilém and next to captain arrived second horse. Its rider were the seccond commander from yesterday.
"You?" captain asked.
Instead the commander answered Vilém: "Yes, he. When you returned to Cheb, he didn't know what to do, but in the end he decided to tell me about your unsuccessful march. You know, I can't rely on soldiers that aren't obeying my commands. You should go before the military judge for disobedience of command, but ... I can't overlook all those years you loyally serviced me or my father. So I'll forget on it but I can't keep you any more in my services."
Captain looked on Vilém.
"You're fired."

Then Vilém and the commander turned their horses and left him there alone. Captain were for a long time watching on the burning village. The fire was consuming roof by roof, house by house and the dark smoke was raising to the sky. Last screams already died away and captain felt his helplessness and inconsequentiality.

next ->​

Last edited:
Glad to see the story continue! :D

That Vilém is a nasty fellow. I really liked the captain, though. He's a good man. Maybe he will join the Hussites now that he knows what kind of man Vilém is?

Great update. Its nice to see some chapters that focus on other people besides the main characters. Its adds more flavour to the story, and helps it to feel more real. :cool: