• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pooper219

Recruit
43 Badges
Dec 31, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Empire of Sin
  • Empire of Sin - Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
When I click play in the launcher it waits a second flashes the screen and then fails. I found a fix that seems to be helping people although when I get to step 2 the option is greyed out on my pc. Can someone help???? I will attach screen shots.
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png

I assume if you run eu4.exe directly, bypassing the launcher, it also fails? If so the issue is with the game not the launcher.

Has the game ever run OK on this computer? Or never?

IF NEVER:
Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=8328
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=13523
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF IT USED TO WORK:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF NEITHER OF THOSE HELP:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

I also ran DXDIAG and here are the other files

Attachments

• settings.txt
    1,7 KB · Views: 15
  • pdx_settings.txt
    259 bytes · Views: 8
  • system.log
    1,9 KB · Views: 11
  • DxDiag.txt
    81,5 KB · Views: 33
They both work fine for me ... one is Visual C++ 2015, the other DirectX 9.0c

You can also get them in the steam/steamapps/common/steamworks shared/ folders.

Looking at that dxdiag again, this is the problem we’re now seeing with the recent AMD video drivers. Please revert to older ones, say 19.2.x , that should fix it.

If this is a problem with the new radeon driver, it may help to exclude eu4 from the anti-lag feature in the new driver:
  • Right Click on desktop, select AMD Radeon Software
  • Select the Gaming tab and then Europa Universalis IV
  • Disable Radeon Anti-Lag
Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

EU4 Used to Work fine until very recetly. I tried the fix, but it still does not work. Here are my files:

After a test in windowed mode the game loading screen poped up for a second, disappeared and the error continues.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    97,7 KB · Views: 50
  • pdx_settings.txt
    238 bytes · Views: 5
  • system.log
    2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Try selecting borderless in the game launcher.

After a test in windowed mode the game loading screen poped up for a second, disappeared and the error continues.
What was the last thing that the game displayed? Was it the loading screen with a portrait, but without text? That is usually caused by a broken save game.
In that case, try to move all your save games to a different folder and test if the game starts then. If it does, you can move your important saves back one by one to see which one crashes the game. Often an autosave or _Backup save is still OK even if your main save is corrupted.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

This is the sreen i`m getting.
I also did another full clean reinstall. There should not be any old file left in any eu4 folder.
At this point im completely clueless what caused the game to run flawlessly 2 weeks ago and is now causing it to not load. Maybe i have to wait for the next eu4 and/ or graphic driver update.
Anyway thak you all for your time and effort trying to help me.

Attachments

• EU4Loading.png
    EU4Loading.png
    1,5 MB · Views: 22
It is uncommon that the game crashes at this point. Can you post your error.log file and any other file in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\logs\ that is not empty? That might give a clue to what when wrong.

Finally found it! The last Antivirus Update added the Documents/ Paradox folder to ransomware protection and didn`t allow EU4 to access the pdx_settings file without telling me. That caused the game to crash.
Again thank you for your help!

Try downloading vcruntime140_1.dll and extract it to the folder where eu4.exe is (..\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV). This worked just fine with me.
This thread is from 2019/early 2020. The versions of eu4 from that time didn't need vcruntime140_1.dll. And I would not recommend downloading vcruntime140_1.dll from some shady website(AFAIK there is no official download for just that one file), because that file might be broken, contain a virus or stop working if a newer version of eu4 needs a newer version of that DLL. If you have the problem of the missing vcruntime140_1.dll (you can see that by starting eu4.exe directly), I would recommend installing the X64 version of the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015, 2017, 2019,2022 from the official download page at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist
That installer installs vcruntime140_1.dll along with the current version of other DLL files which are needed by eu4 and many other programs.

Yes, please do NOT re-open old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.