Game is visible in Taskmanager but launcher won't start (XBOX Game Pass)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nemopuk

Recruit
19 Badges
Mar 16, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi,

see title. I've reinstalled it now several times on different hard drives. Disabling Windows Defender had no effect.
The last time I was able to start it was on february 27th. Since the update yesterday game won't start. I also deleted the
paradox interactive folders in documents and the wgs folder for a clean reinstall.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you. :)

Just not to open another thread, I'll add that I'm experiencing exaclty the same, working fine till yesterday's update. Tried everything posted in the pinned post, also a full clean reinstall. I see 4 processes active but no laucher is launched.

Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I have tried everything in my ability to resolve this from antivirus to clearing every possible cache on my computer to reinstalling multiple times, updating windows, launching as admin etc, nothing seems to work.

You ALL use the Gamepass edition, is that right?

Try deleting the contents of the Documents/paradox/ck3/ folder, EXCEPT any saved games there move out to somewhere else.

If you still get this problem then, DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log

Having the same issue after this patch on the game pass version.
I tried removing the folder but it didn't change anything.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    80,6 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    863 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    39,7 KB · Views: 0
  • image_2021-03-18_061647.png
    image_2021-03-18_061647.png
    65,1 KB · Views: 0
You ALL use the Gamepass edition, is that right?

Try deleting the contents of the Documents/paradox/ck3/ folder, EXCEPT any saved games there move out to somewhere else.

If you still get this problem then, DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log
Yes, the issue is happening on Game Pass and I tried deleting the folder yesterday but it didn't have any effect. Here is my dxdiag. My task manager looks the same as the person above, process shows up but dont get any icon on my task bar or any other indication of even the launcher starting.

Dont have the other files you asked for since I already deleted everything in that folder yesterday.

I have been able to play the game before the patch just fine and also all the other games on Game Pass are working just fine right now.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    94,7 KB · Views: 0
I see nothing in common in those three dxdiag files, unfortunately. One of you was able to recreate the log files after deletion, the other two not. One has no errors at the end of dxdiag, the other two do but quite different ones. One AMD video system, two different nVidia ones.

Let's check th ebasics are in place; Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

THEN go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

Let me know what happens with all 6 installers please.

Ran all 6 installers and the problem still persists. Also updated my GPU drivers but didn't help either.

I was actually able to salvage the log files from my recycle bin since I hadn't permanently deleted the folder, so here they are:

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • error.log
    173,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    871 bytes · Views: 0
I see nothing in common in those three dxdiag files, unfortunately. One of you was able to recreate the log files after deletion, the other two not. One has no errors at the end of dxdiag, the other two do but quite different ones. One AMD video system, two different nVidia ones.

Let's check th ebasics are in place; Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

The game launched BEFORE the last patch for all of us I think.

One of you was able to recreate the log files after deletion, the other two not.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that my file was not being recreated either. After deleting my folder, it would not come back after starting ck3 up again. I also tried reinstalling the game, but that did not create the folder either.

Let me know what happens with all 6 installers please.
I ran all installers with no issues found.

The game launched BEFORE the last patch for all of us I think.
Yea, I was playing a few hours before the patch went live with no issues. I can't say I've had any since day one.

Something else that I noticed. I did not close ck3 in my task manager and left it attempting to run all night. This morning my computer was sluggish, and the task manager showed the paradox launcher as using a steady 10k MB.

Just wanted to toss in, I am having the same issue as well. Tried all of the above with no success. I actually had the same problem when the game first launched. I gave it overnight and didnt have issues again until this latest patch. For some additional troubleshooting, I installed the steam version since its free this weekend, and I had no problems launching or playing the game. Its looking like an issue specifically tied to GamePass and not to the host running the game.

Having the same issue as the others, and using Xbox Game Pass as well.

1616263384989.png

Attachments

• error.log
    948,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    867 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • DxDiag.txt
    104,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is clearly not an isolated case. Just in this thread there are seven different people with the same issue, and reinstalling the OS is certainly not an option.
Opening a support ticket would accomplish something different than posting here? AndrewT gives basic help or passes the issue on to the developers?

Opening a support ticket on a weekend gets me too, I'm afraid :(

I will raise this with Paradox on Monday.

Meantime, is anyone in a position to try a Windows reinstall, which helped @FalseArc1 above? Because that would imply this is an Xbox app or MS Store problem.

Opening a support ticket on a weekend gets me too, I'm afraid :(

I will raise this with Paradox on Monday.

Meantime, is anyone in a position to try a Windows reinstall, which helped @FalseArc1 above? Because that would imply this is an Xbox app or MS Store problem.
Ofcourse it is in some way an Xbox App or MS Store problem because it doesn't seem to be occuring on Steam at all. But every other game on my game pass seems to work so It's still CK3 specific. I have also tried resetting and deleting the Xbox app and then reinstalling it but it didn't help.

We're investigating this now but having a hard time replicating it. Could we please get the cpatch.log to check if we can spot the issue? It should be located in:
C:\Users\{User}\AppData\Local\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2