Game is pointless for me with new inheritance system

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is not my experience with Tanistry, so far my electors are voting for the strongest rulers in the realm so its easier to maintain control after the sucession. I just had an election where they voted for a count because he had good traits/stats and was Inteligent.
Its only worst choice in CK3 because it is currently bugged with partition though. Or is that not your experience? Mine was that regardless of who got chosen as tanist (that's not the part that's bugged) upon succession your domain still gets split up with partition (which is not the behaviour of tanistry in CK2, no idea if it's intended for partition to still have an effect in tanistry now) but more importantly your capital goes to a direct heir of your current monarch, leaving the tanist (the guy you will be playing as after succession) with ONLY the top level kingdom title and next to no domain. I'm fairly sure that's not intended, especially since that single county tanist will be killed by a faction in the first year.

Reactions:
I guessed I'd just work to get elector succession set up on the other titles then. Not cheap but I personally like the build up to the best succession types rather than getting them so easily.

I feel like if you grant someone a "fair" amount of land then they should be disqualified from non-primary inheritances. Land is land right? Why does it matter when you get it? At least let me choose who gets what that way. So I can have a plan and be like "Okay I got 4 sons and my wife is too old to make more, I need to capture X counties and gift them to my non-primary heirs."

The way it is now feels pretty random.

This is exactly how partition works. You just have to give all your heirs enough land to satisfy what they should get in partition.
This way your chosen Heir gets what you want. You can check all your children to see what they inherit.

Its only worst choice in CK3 because it is currently bugged with partition though. Or is that not your experience? Mine was that regardless of who got chosen as tanist (that's not the part that's bugged) upon succession your domain still gets split up with partition (which is not the behaviour of tanistry in CK2, no idea if it's intended for partition to still have an effect in tanistry now) but more importantly your capital goes to a direct heir of your current monarch, leaving the tanist (the guy you will be playing as after succession) with ONLY the top level kingdom title and next to no domain. I'm fairly sure that's not intended, especially since that single county tanist will be killed by a faction in the first year.

Tanistry works for every title that has this succession law independently.
Smaller titles will only be keep on the Player Heir for the Primary Title according to Partition if the are De Jure of that Primary Title.
If you loose your Primary Title than things get divided without that De Jure Rule.

For me the election types always worked out like intended.
What I find more problematic is the House Head inheritance, there is no proper Rule for that one stated and no way to change it.

"If you don't like it, go play something else!" Is such a weak arguement. I don't care for the new succession settings either, I have 2000+ hours in ck2, I like to rp with characters, but it's so dumb you have to kill your brother's all the time. The option to switch should always be there, it should be up to the player to decide how they rule their kingdom. even with primogeniture I never snowball the map.. if you can't make it fun for yourself with certain settings available it's a you problem. in my opinion though this is just limiting the amount of fun/freedom you allow players to have.

You don't have to kill your brothers, you could just play the game without trying to min-max everything.
No you shouldn't have the option, CK3 is a game, games are defined by limitations. The changes provide a limitation that defines the main gameplay loop of the game. If you want to neuter that, that is what mods are for.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly that really broke the game for me.

I will have to wait until Modders fix it to finally be independent from High Medieval/Late Medieval.

There is no point, as you are not given a chance to play the game at all. Get the Culture lead, wait on proccs ( Fun and Engaging Gameplay... not) then you need to wait until the time has come to wait for more proccs to advance into the next era. After you procced that then, you just need to do some more proccing.

Also there is again no chance to at least play small or so. Have a well fortified and advanced core duchy your heir will completely get because that is also fucked.. You end up with a worthless Duke title and a Capital So there is no point in going more development than your capital because the moment your old character dies. They just will rise and revolt, everyone will line up with their armies waiting and fancy realms outside yours also throw in their dick for you to suck. My own uncle and my son both joined a faction to put me to abdicated to a forgeiner so I go Game-Over. That should never ever get supported, Family should have -1000 modifier to that (Likes the family to rule). In short you try to expand, finally you broken the alliances by scheming, can make a move and then you acquire more foreigners, more problems and then eventually you die and it all ignites. Sorry that is all but fun to have literarily no control over the realm.

Reactions:
Tanistry works for every title that has this succession law independently.
Smaller titles will only be keep on the Player Heir for the Primary Title according to Partition if the are De Jure of that Primary Title.
If you loose your Primary Title than things get divided without that De Jure Rule.
Except it doesn't work even when duchy titles have tanistry (counties get inherited separately from the duke level title, and you end up with empty titles without any counties in said duchy in your domain = same problem as with kingdom), and you can't declare inheritance laws per county. This is notwithstanding the fact that the kingdom level decision doesn't even inform you that you must change the duke level titles, and each duke level title costs 1500 (!) prestige to change.

Reactions:
But you want to be able to reconquer your brothers' land ASAP.
Well, you don't have to, you could also take your nation in a new direction, while leaving the other brothers to squabble amongst themselves and go in their own directions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have you guys tried if elective successions are fixed as of 1.03? This ruined my game so bad I decided to put it on hold until this is fixed.
I don't think so, I'm still having issues. My top title (Kingdom of Ireland) and a random county go to my tanist, but everything else is split up by straight up partition among my sons. I hadn't noticed this happening yesterday. Even if I set the duchies I have to tanistry as well, the counties within them get split up.

So in my case, my tanist (3rd son) gets Isle of Man, Duchy of Meath, Duchy of Connacht, and Kingdom of Ireland. Every county within Meath (my capital duchy) goes to my eldest son, and every county within Connacht goes to my 2nd son.

Edit: Just wanted to add. This can't be intended, right? If it is, elective succession is pointless. I figured elective was used to give flexibility to determine your primary heir, rather than your eldest son having that spot. Basically, I figured adding an elective law to the top title makes your realm partition effectively into elective gavelkind.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is a game about the medieval period and gavelkind was the law on who got to rule what in the Kingdom for most cultures in the early middle ages. This game tries to be accurate about the time period as it possible can so if you don't want to deal with gavelkind then maybe a historical game set in the early middle ages is not for you.

While true, there is another layer here, as one brother was usually subordinate to another in practicality, even if they were both counts. Or they were co-rulers. Technically, Charlemagne and Carloman were supposed to be co-rulers of the Francian lands as per their father's will.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I disagree OP.

like others in ck2 I went straight for the easy succession laws, now it’s far more engaged and keeps me on my toes, I plan my moves in advance and it’s so fun if you really get into it.

also disinherit kids if you can, I’ve only done it once for a valid reason because I RP my character, but basically it was discovered 20 years down the line that I was not the father of my first born. He hates my guts now, and i his, and what funny is unlike my other kids he looks nothing like me haha

• 4Like
Reactions:
For Catholics, control over your inheritance should be linked to crown authority. Make it more like a scale of 8, and half the cooldown. The higher you get the more control you have over who get what, and the more centralized it can be. Technologies and different cultures/religions can lower the requirements. Levels are lost based on the prestige of the inheritor of the title. Maybe throw in some historical related trope events that can alter how inheritance works, like a son staying at home uses his position to ignore your will, etc etc.

Maybe not even use CA, put in a new ladder. Just link it to spending resources, all four as you move up the ladder? event chain? hard to say.

Just giving everyone primo with no cost is going to put us on the road to magical adventurer mega stacks again. Which nobody should want.

Honestly it sounds like paradox should make a full blown UI page for inheritance instead of just giving us the first 4. Here's your type. Here's everyone inheriting. Here's a tool tip for each saying what they are entitled to. Let us fragment our realms instead of randomly doing it.

Hard to tell whats a bug and whats an oversight in our part.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Losing your capital duchy is as bad as losing your capital, it makes successions with gavelkind an absolute mess. If the law was implemented with any mind for history there would be entire mechanics dictating who got what similar to how nomads had to distribute land in ck2 with penalties if it wasnr abided.

Instead its arbitrary and random, why does this brother get a single county in prussia and the duchy while this one gets the other three and a different duchy? No explanation.

Karling style splits didnt produce checkerboard maps across francia, they were deliberate with clear borders. Gavelkind seldom will produce anything remotely similar.

At the risk of repeating my previous post. You can control which children get which duchies. You just have to grant them the specific duchies while you are still alive. If the amount is in accordance to what they will "get" in the succession law (use the pre-hand out status in the succession screen as the guideline of how much you should give them), the game will consider them to have inherit and they will no longer show in your realm succession screen. So you can give your non-main heir children duchies outside your dejure capital and have your main heir inherit that one.

I admit the game should make the possibility of this action clearer and make an official tooltip to help player do this.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think most people would be content with how splitting works (outside of losing control of home duchy, that didn't happen in most cases) IF we actually could negotiate with other family and vassals and act according to opinion and person character. I mean, i want to be a benevolent ruler, and treat my family well, but if upon current character death main heir get shafted and my other sons start to act outside of character (while still having positive opinion) it's not "expanding dynasty instead of personal holdings", it's inviting neighbors to roll you over. Especially because allies often don't help you in wars, and with biggest single stack wins (which, again, require consolidation).

Except it doesn't work even when duchy titles have tanistry (counties get inherited separately from the duke level title, and you end up with empty titles without any counties in said duchy in your domain = same problem as with kingdom), and you can't declare inheritance laws per county. This is notwithstanding the fact that the kingdom level decision doesn't even inform you that you must change the duke level titles, and each duke level title costs 1500 (!) prestige to change.

This. As a new player it took me hours of experiments and reading Wiki and forums to get basic grasp of this. And i still unsure how it will turn out. If anything Tutorial should include scripted ruler death and step by explanation about who gets what title and land and why. Wish someone write a guide for this with examples and all the things you can do to sway situation in your favor.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I saw that when you *start* a new game with 1.0.3, your counties go to the duchy holders even with elective.

Finally. It was maddening at some times.

In my experience the worst thing you can do is create a kingdom title.
Why? Because that way you don´t have enough same tier titles for the extra sons you have and will get all your titles split instead of each getting a duchy and the associated land. So you can have 4 duchy titles and counties only in your capital duchy and on succession up to 3 extra sons get those duchies and you get to keep your counties and capital duchy, then it is time to declare war to get back the lost duchies from your brothers, rinse and repeat.

To make it clear, if you have multiple top titles the inheritance splits those according to de jure so only the title and counties you have in it are split on inheritance.

If you create kingdom there are no equal titles so all your titles are split equally, which means you keep extra (above capital county/duchy and the kingdom) only if your other heirs all have 3 counties/duchies, which leads to the one county king experience.

Reactions: