Game is pointless for me with new inheritance system

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Adapt and overcome. Too many people are just trying to play CK3 like it is CK2. One of the biggest issues plaguing CK2 is the snowballing factor. Which still exists, but this mechanic helps prevent that. It also significantly increases the amount of court intrigue and instability after succession in a realm. Which was historical.

I know it "sucks", but that is because you are likely not totally understanding the mechanics and how to handle them, as well as being in the CK2 mindset of owning the entire world. You are playing your DYNASTY. Not your character. Not your country. If your family is vying for power it can be troublesome but it is still your dynasty. You are still "Winning". If the entire world is fragmented into 50 kingdoms, all of your dynasty, you own the entire world essentially. You "won". Legacies incentivise this.

Also, protip, if you have claims on a title (either inherited or fabricated), you can revoke them from your brothers without a tyranny penalty. So before you die, amass gold. After you die, get allies with powerful vassals. Hire mercs if you are weak. Get hooks if possible. Then just revoke all your brother's titles.
Do I mind Gavelkind/Partition splitting up my titles? No, I do not. Do I mind Gavelkind/Partition yoinking my realm capital away from my heir, when the in-game text describing how Partition works explicitly states that it will not do that? Yes, that I absolutely do mind.

Edit:
I can confirm that this was not fixed by 1.0.3.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Do I mind Gavelkind/Partition splitting up my titles? No, I do not. Do I mind Gavelkind/Partition yoinking my realm capital away from my heir, when the in-game text describing how Partition works explicitly states that it will not do that? Yes, that I absolutely do mind.

For the 3rd time. This is a bug. And it "might" have been fixed with this new patch. But I have yet to see verification.

Reactions:
Gavelkind also makes family- and dynasty-focused lifestyles and legacies more valuable, because with them you can mold a family who's actually loyal and support each other, instead of everyone looking out for their own benefit only. When bringing up your sons, just make sure they become friends and get positive traits instead of backstabby, ambitious ones, and you'll have a powerful family nobody will want to mess with.

But you want to be able to reconquer your brothers' land ASAP.

It isn't "Artificial difficulty for people who dont know better. " It is literally how inheritance worked in that period for a large number of regions. And clearly is it impacting people, not just "noobs". A large portion of the chaos of that period was siblings vying for power and land due to partitioning after death.

You can conquer all of france as haestien in the first year of the game, you can found lunatic sex cults that call themselves christian, you can reliably imprison and torture your own children to death reliably and switch to any world religion if your pious enough instantly, the game isnt historical, it has historical paint.

And again you dont ever get to that point with gavelkind, you murder your kids before you die after you see which one turned out best. The instability on succession doesnt happen becuase any player will take the tyranny and bad boy at the height of thier power instead of the low periods of it.

Reactions:
For the 3rd time. This is a bug. And it "might" have been fixed with this new patch. But I have yet to see verification.
I hadn't seen your post while typing up mine, sorry. And I can confirm that this has not been fixed in 1.0.3.

It does not make the game harder, anyone with any experience knows how to ignore gavelkind, its just a noob trap for people who play on release of a new patch or in this case game and then move onto other things. Artificial difficulty for people who dont know better.

If it's easy, what's the problem? Bringing back primo will not make the game harder...

Its one thing to lose extra kingdoms or supurlulous lands, but gavelkind attacks capitals which just makes every succession groan inducing for the people who arent trying to swallow half the map. Since it either means an ottoman style battle royale or taking an axe to all your own children while you still have all your power before you die.

Don't understand most of this sentence, but probably because I'm not a native english speaker, but about capital it's obviously a bug. Never had my capital given to another guy than my heir in any of my 8 games.

Reactions:
1. Goodbye renoun.
2. It is true, but if you have a few childs only.
3. Same.
4. Well tanistry is worst thing ever in CK3. With vote strenght even small realms will vote fore some imbisile uncle from your neighbor.

Also yes it easy with intrigue focus and game forse you to go their what I don't like too.

That is not my experience with Tanistry, so far my electors are voting for the strongest rulers in the realm so its easier to maintain control after the sucession. I just had an election where they voted for a count because he had good traits/stats and was Inteligent.

is a bug, because the in-game text says it doesn't, so if it does, something is broken and Paradox need to fix it.

The problem this forum has with people who come in complaining about partible inheritance rules is that a lot of the time, they're complaining about things that are working exactly as designed and intended.

"I don't like partible inheritance" is a different thing to "partible inheritance is not working as described, designed, or intended", and Paradox have confirmed explicitly in the patch 1.0.3 discussion thread that any time Partition Inheritance results in your primary heir not getting your realm capital, that's a bug.

Losing your capital duchy is as bad as losing your capital, it makes successions with gavelkind an absolute mess. If the law was implemented with any mind for history there would be entire mechanics dictating who got what similar to how nomads had to distribute land in ck2 with penalties if it wasnr abided.

Instead its arbitrary and random, why does this brother get a single county in prussia and the duchy while this one gets the other three and a different duchy? No explanation.

Karling style splits didnt produce checkerboard maps across francia, they were deliberate with clear borders. Gavelkind seldom will produce anything remotely similar.

Reactions:
But you want to be able to reconquer your brothers' land ASAP.
Do you? I don't think you always need to do that now. Having loyal vassals and more landed characters of your dynasty to build renown is a good way to play.

Reactions:
Do you? I don't think you always need to do that now. Having loyal vassals and more landed characters of your dynasty to build renown is a good way to play.

You get bonuses to tax and levies for controlling land inside your dejure capital duchy, even if it doesn't steal your capital it will almost always steal land from within it and thus getting that land back is far more important than taking land elsewhere. Its like a 30% bonus its not insignificant.

Nevermind that it looks nicer to actually own your capital duchy, id say it makes your capital more defensible as well but the new granular nature of the provinces and quick sea travel erodes that somewhat.

If it's easy, what's the problem? Bringing back primo will not make the game harder...

The problem is that right now the game is more a family planning sim than a grand strategy game. I simply do not want to micro manage this at a level where I could just as well be at work. Constantly conquering new stuff, revoking titles and murdering children just because of gavelkind _is not fun_.

I know how to get my capital duchy back after succession. But it feels like a chore, not like a game I play to relax. As it stands right now, I don't have the option to play tall unless I constantly murder my family and become a tyrant. Which is, frankly speaking, bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"If you don't like it, go play something else!" Is such a weak arguement. I don't care for the new succession settings either, I have 2000+ hours in ck2, I like to rp with characters, but it's so dumb you have to kill your brother's all the time. The option to switch should always be there, it should be up to the player to decide how they rule their kingdom. even with primogeniture I never snowball the map.. if you can't make it fun for yourself with certain settings available it's a you problem. in my opinion though this is just limiting the amount of fun/freedom you allow players to have.
Get Partition or High Partition. Set your main title as Feudal Elective. No problems.

Reactions:
You get bonuses to tax and levies for controlling land inside your dejure capital duchy, even if it doesn't steal your capital it will almost always steal land from within it and thus getting that land back is far more important than taking land elsewhere. Its like a 30% bonus its not insignificant.

Nevermind that it looks nicer to actually own your capital duchy, id say it makes your capital more defensible as well but the new granular nature of the provinces and quick sea travel erodes that somewhat.

If allies within your realm could join your wars that would make having your brothers keep their land much more viable, but alas.

In addition to all the reasons others gave for why the "historical" argument for gavelkind is nonsene, universal gavelkind is not actually historical. Some places practiced it. Others didn't. Some places switched back and forth between gavelkind and other succession laws (such as primogeniture) based on the feelings of the ruler and how much they wanted to consolidate the realm vs. ensure all of their kids received an inheritance. Locking primogeniture behind the year 1200 is not in fact historical.

Reactions:
Just spend your gold on upgrades for your capital holdings and after each character death spend a couple hundred gold to fabricate claims on your brothers’ lands and jail them if they refuse.

Or just kill all your children you don’t want to inherit...

No need to fabricate claims. You should already have claims, no?

If it’s part of your de Jure land and you have a claim, you should be able to revoke the county title without tyranny. Will piss off your brother, but oh well.

Reactions:
Option 1. Just get your stuff back after succession in a war.
Option 2. Control the amount of children you have that can inherit, or reduce them via Intrigue, disinherit them etc.
Option 2.1 For voting type succession just manage your votes, get hooks, sway people etc.
Option 3 Use the console or mods, it's really not a problem, if you want easy mode get it.
Option 4 Play Byzantines.
Option 5 Start in 1066, hold out until you unlock primogeniture.

The game is brand new, and there is so many new ways to do stuff, once you gain your mastery back, it won't be an issue anymore

And you can still snowball.
I managed to create the first Empire "Hispania" with Vikings in just 100 year starting at the early date in Ironman (to be fair, Vikings are really strong with Scandanavian Elective; Raiding etc.)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I feel like if you grant someone a "fair" amount of land then they should be disqualified from non-primary inheritances. Land is land right? Why does it matter when you get it? At least let me choose who gets what that way. So I can have a plan and be like "Okay I got 4 sons and my wife is too old to make more, I need to capture X counties and gift them to my non-primary heirs."

The way it is now feels pretty random.

Reactions:
And you can still snowball.
I managed to create the first Empire "Hispania" with Vikings in just 100 year starting at the early date in Ironman (to be fair, Vikings are really strong with Scandanavian Elective; Raiding etc.)

And their event troops. Yes it too easy. I get almost full GB exept ally land before my inheritance crisis launch.

I feel like if you grant someone a "fair" amount of land then they should be disqualified from non-primary inheritances. Land is land right? Why does it matter when you get it? At least let me choose who gets what that way. So I can have a plan and be like "Okay I got 4 sons and my wife is too old to make more, I need to capture X counties and gift them to my non-primary heirs."

The way it is now feels pretty random.
Can't you do just that by granting your sons counties and then disinheriting them?