Game is pointless for me with new inheritance system

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Riukus

First Lieutenant
120 Badges
Jan 23, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
I played 20h for now with different starts and it always same. I give up. You stuck with one county for 400 years before normal succession laws opened. And it true if your cultural head do stuff. If not, well good luck with gavelkind for rest of the game. Why I need to conquer land or make intrigues if I lost all those land anyway? Why play the game?

Also succession weird a lot. Few examples.
1. Have two duches, but create only one. I give all land exept capital to knights and in succession 0 years toddler REPLASE one of knight, get duchy title and broke free.
2. Have one of those small 1-2 duchies kingdom land. Like Brittany or Sardinia. Create only duchy title (not a kingdom) swear fealty to one of my neighbor. And on their succession they will have new kingdom and their realm will divide. Like 100%.
3. Character have three sons. Main heir get capital and other get two county each. Instant civil war. It will be more realistic to give three duchies to main heir and one for each of other sons. No ruler in real medieval era would divide their realm like in game.

UPD. And I found another wierd thing. You can't chose your granchildren in elective. It is what I usually do in CK2. Skipping one generation for better and younger heir.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
You'll want to look over the description of how each succession type works. The lowest one (confederate partition) will create titles for your younger children when possible. If you change to the next level, that won't happen. Each of the 3 partition types have different rules for how they work. You also have options depending on where you are to use special election succession types (such as Tanistry or Scandinavian election). Those can be used to help hold your realm together, though they also have special rules that you'll want to carefully read so you know how to properly use them.

Generally speaking, if you're going to stick to partition until you get to primogeniture, then you want to hold only one higher tier title (king is a good option - independent king is even better) so you at least hold your realm together even if you lose some of your counties/duchies.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I played 20h for now with different starts and it always same. I give up. You stuck with one county for 400 years before normal succession laws opened. And it true if your cultural head do stuff. If not, well good luck with gavelkind for rest of the game. Why I need to conquer land or make intrigues if I lost all those land anyway? Why play the game?
Because the Crusader Kings series has always been about characters, not countries or kingdoms. If you want a game about only blobbing, play EUIV or something. Historically succession was a lot more like how you dislike it in-game, compared to how you want it to be.

• 31Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Partition also means that more people of your dynasty have titles, which translate into monthly Renown for your House.

• 12Like
Reactions:
Because the Crusader Kings series has always been about characters, not countries or kingdoms. If you want a game about only blobbing, play EUIV or something. Historically succession was a lot more like how you dislike it in-game, compared to how you want it to be.

I want my whole duchy and then develop characters. Like Sardinia or Brittany you know.

Reactions:
If this game was solely about characters and not countries and kingdoms, there wouldn't be a need for a map. The map is the centerpiece of this franchise and painting it with your color is the primary objective for many players. This doesn't mean Paradox should just give us easy succession laws because, but it also doesn't mean that what was historically is of any significance when it comes to enjoyment and gameplay.

Just look at the number of mods that alter history or completely change the mechanics to suit their needs.

Which is really the ideal solution, get a mod that enables primogeniture succession early. As for the rest, stop gatekeeping fun.

• 6Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
The new system is so much better, the ease og getting primogeniture in CK2 made succession both boring and a non-issue. Seeing as succession was a big deal in the medival world that always was a crisis point for a family, this should be a big deal in the game as well.

• 19Like
Reactions:

"If you don't like it, go play something else!" Is such a weak arguement. I don't care for the new succession settings either, I have 2000+ hours in ck2, I like to rp with characters, but it's so dumb you have to kill your brother's all the time. The option to switch should always be there, it should be up to the player to decide how they rule their kingdom. even with primogeniture I never snowball the map.. if you can't make it fun for yourself with certain settings available it's a you problem. in my opinion though this is just limiting the amount of fun/freedom you allow players to have.

• 3Like
Reactions:
3. Character have three sons. Main heir get capital and other get two county each. Instant civil war. It will be more realistic to give three duchies to main heir and one for each of other sons. No ruler in real medieval era would divide their realm like in game.

High partition works exactly like that. Then main heir gets the top title plus half the counties and the remaining heirs get what is left. This should be available to you by 1050, so if you start in 1066 you can reliably get it from the start and have the realm divide how you seem to want it to.

867 start is supposed to be a time of fractured realms and dynastic struggle, like it was in history. Only later can you consolidate into stable realms with a lot of power concentrated at the top.

You can also just play Byzantium and start out with primogeniture...

"If you don't like it, go play something else!" Is such a weak arguement. I don't care for the new succession settings either, I have 2000+ hours in ck2, I like to rp with characters, but it's so dumb you have to kill your brother's all the time. The option to switch should always be there, it should be up to the player to decide how they rule their kingdom. even with primogeniture I never snowball the map.. if you can't make it fun for yourself with certain settings available it's a you problem. in my opinion though this is just limiting the amount of fun/freedom you allow players to have.

Cool. I would really like to start the game with gunpowder available for research. I mean, it should be up to the player, right?

• 8Like
Reactions:
The new system is so much better, the ease og getting primogeniture in CK2 made succession both boring and a non-issue. Seeing as succession was a big deal in the medival world that always was a crisis point for a family, this should be a big deal in the game as well.
Yeah. In CK2, you got primogeniture so easily and quickly that there might as well not have been any other options. Most players, once they understood succession laws, would switch to that right away and then never bother with succession again. Now succession laws actually mean something and you have to work with them to get what you want. I prefer this even though I did like the ease of just having primogeniture.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I agree. The instant I got primo the game was basically over.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Have you tried playing in India? They have different succession types there. In CK2, you could simply choose your heir as a Buddhist ruler, for example. It's probably very similar in CK3.

Reactions:
I love the way Partition works! At lowest level, it creates top tier titles where it can. Real realm splits, both for player and AI alike! Upgrade it to get CK2 gavelkind, where only created titles divide.

Succession is a major part of this game. Now Charlemagne/Karloman divition of an empire can actually almost happen!

With some smart planning and a long life, you can handle succession quite well. Give your kids parts of their inheritance before you die and watch the inheritance change before your eyes. And conquest is the key, actually. All your heirs needs land! :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well to be honest I prefer elective in CK2. If you have no or a little electors it is best option. Espesialy if you breed your heirs well. And now it realy not an option.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well to be honest I prefer elective in CK2. If you have no or a little electors it is best option. Espesialy if you breed your heirs well. And now it realy not an option.
Why not? I never really liked Elector succession in CK2, so didn't get into it and I haven't saved up prestige to look into going into the elector succession types in CK3, but I would assume they work similarly? Maybe not exactly the same, but you have a number of elector types to choose from. Surely at least one works like it did in CK2?

Why not? I never really liked Elector succession in CK2, so didn't get into it and I haven't saved up prestige to look into going into the elector succession types in CK3, but I would assume they work similarly? Maybe not exactly the same, but you have a number of elector types to choose from. Surely at least one works like it did in CK2?

Not really. They all work more or less like HRE elective does in CK2. You get the top level title you are voting for, but none of the duchies/counties. Those follow regular inheritance. So if you elect a dynasty member, you will play as that person, but they will get none of your other titles.

• 1Like
Reactions: