• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Junta

Recruit
68 Badges
Feb 10, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
I used to play EU4 with the same device and it has never been this so slow. To be specific this lag only happens when I selected an army of mine. But god it drops to 2 fps and passes a day in every 5-6 seconds. But again it only happens when I selected a single army. Is anyone encountered this problem before?

This happens to me, especially when I select army outside Europe. It stutters, freezes and only becomes playable when army is moving. Similar effect is now happening during big wars. That almost cancels late game for me.

This has helped at least one affected user. Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

Reactions:
This has helped at least one affected user. Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.
I tried this at least twice, however it didn't help. Anything else I could do? Thanks

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log .

I am experience the same issue, only my problem are my armies in Europe. On my Ottomans run, I'm dealing with a huge coalition on the late 1500s and when I select an army in Europe the whole game goes bananas, slows down extremely and is unplayable but if I select another tab or an army in Anatolia the game runs smoothly.

I'm having very similar problems with my game. To answer the inevitable question of "Well is it a late-game with lots of units?" I say I've been experiencing this from 1.31.1 all the way to 1.31.3 where the fps drops to ridiculously low numbers. Normally my game runs 60 fps or higher, but after the new updates, I'm usually running somewhere below 40 for a "good" experience. When it gets really bad it hits 10fps or even lower and just stays there. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, If I scroll out all the way, stop moving a unit, or anything. I turned some graphics settings off and it continued. I also have tried restarting many times, which occasionally will give me a temporary fix where it goes back to 40 or so which is bearable.
However, I'm extremely displeased with how the game is running recently and I can't even really get a good game in whether it be single-player or multiplayer. I'd really appreciate some performance changes, but I doubt it will happen on PDX's end. They barely fix bugs for years and even said it themselves the plan was to push out content and then fix bugs later. This is a poor game design model on top of the need for a newer engine on their newer games. I just hope at this point eu4 gets a bit more of a performance, bugs, stability, and multiplayer update rather than another DLC because that is what it needs.
If anyone does have even a slight solution to the fps problems I would appreciate that a lot.
I responded to a similar post so I'll quote that here. The gist is that I too am having horrible frame rate issues. It's making the game a pain in the ass to play.

I am experience the same issue, only my problem are my armies in Europe. On my Ottomans run, I'm dealing with a huge coalition on the late 1500s and when I select an army in Europe the whole game goes bananas, slows down extremely and is unplayable but if I select another tab or an army in Anatolia the game runs smoothly.
I have also experienced this where my game drops to literally 1 fps upon clicking onto a specific army. I have no idea what could cause that, but I also get horrible lag occasionally that isn't with just one stack so I think there might just be an overall graphics glitch for unit models and the ui or something because I've never experienced any of these things prior to 1.31

having same issue
(2000 hour + player on EUIV since version 1.0)
I am playing on the same computer I used earlier this year to go to the late 1700s but now lag has stalled me in 1600
the game is NOT playable like this
I find the momuments etc interesting (I have all the updates) but I won't get any more DLCs for an unplayable game
and yes, I've done the disable blue flag thing and I have uninstalled/reinstalled on steam w no fix to the lag