• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, I tried downgrading the video driver but experienced the same problem. As a test I started the game again and chose king of Scotland. I clicked play and it zoomed in and everything was working fine. I was scrolling the map around and went over Iberia in the zoomed in view and the crash occurred. It seems something on the zoomed in view of this part of the map is causing the crash.

OK, one more thing. Uninstall the game through Steam again, but this time go in and manually delete all the files Steam leaves behind in its directory, and under the MyDocuments directory, before reinstalling.

If that doesn't help, all I can think of is seeing if you can borrow a different video card from somewhere, as a test; conceivably yours is faulty.

Greetings. I had this black screen today after about 2 hours of playing. Yesterday i've updated my video drivers to the latest beta from 285 wqhl. Before the update I didn't have any issue with the game.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    39 KB · Views: 3
Given that, wouldn't you revert back to the non-beta driver?

Greetings. I had this black screen today after about 2 hours of playing. Yesterday i've updated my video drivers to the latest beta from 285 wqhl. Before the update I didn't have any issue with the game.

If you have bugs with Nvidias beta drivers, you need to contact them, not us.

I have never implied that the problem is the drivers. I've played with them yesterday about 4 hours in row without any issue.
Erm, yes you did:
I had this black screen today after about 2 hours of playing. Yesterday i've updated my video drivers to the latest beta from 285 wqhl. Before the update I didn't have any issue with the game.

You were playing the game fine, you then updated your video drivers to a beta version on one day (not sure why), and then got the crash the following day. Why would you not then revert to the pre-beta drivers? I just don't follow your reasoning, sorry.

Do you have Dx9 installed ? Another point, do you have the notebook driver versions installed or by accident the one for desktop ?
Anyway, i looked at Nvidia and this is the latest driver that may fit your card, but i dont know for sure.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-295.73-whql-driver.html

Edit: You use a widescreen, so i guess you connect your notebook with a TV/HDMI ?
Others had problems with this as well. Maybe it has something to do with that. The Mod/Dev may know.

Edit2: Was just wondering, maybe it has to do with triple buffering and/or Anti-Aliasing being a problem for a notebook.

Edit3: Try playing around with your Display settings of your OS first, like 1024x768 and then start the game and change resolution to the same setting as well. Hmmmm..... methinks i'm toooo curious.

Last edited:
I get the same thing with my Radeon 4350 occasionally.... but it also happens in VEVO and ESPN3 to me... which tells me its not a Paradox issue its a video driver issue. I'm not worried about it on my end as it happens maybe once in 12 hours. I'll keep tabs on this and if I discover a solution I'll post it, but the question is does it ever crash outside the game?

Found an interesting post here:
go to: forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/27379-nvidia-quadro-fx-3700m-huge-problem

i havent posted a direct link, as its not allowed by forum rules.
Seems to be a common problem of the hardware.

Found an interesting post here:
go to: forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/27379-nvidia-quadro-fx-3700m-huge-problem

i havent posted a direct link, as its not allowed by forum rules.
Seems to be a common problem of the hardware.

Well this is very interesting. It sounds like the exact problem I am having here. It sounds like a problem with the PSU not providing a high enough power output. I am going to try underclocking the graphics card as described in the thread and see if that fixes my problem. Thank you very much for the link.

I read another post regarding the same graphics card in a Lenovo notebook, but there it was solved simply by a new Lenovo driver which worked, while the nvidia drivers didnt. So i'd say first try several drivers. If this doesnt work try to delete them first through going to software in Windows before installing the new ones. I know they say its not necessary anymore, but for some this helped. Who knows, its a hardware issue..

Finally solved the problem. It was indeed a hardware issue. Apparently the power supply unit I have is not capable of powering the graphics card at the factory clock speeds. This seems to be an engineering oversight on the part of Dell. I under-clocked the graphics card to the specifications in the thread linked to by Aardvark Bellay and the game seems to run fine. Thank you all for your help with this issue.

Brilliant! Very glad to hear this, as I was sure it couldn't be a game issue.

I have had a similar experience on a desktop. I have 2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 in SLI, which I am running at factory settings (not overclocked). I have been getting random black screen hard crashes, which subsequently seem to destabilize the system overall. The GPU temp gets up to 60º C, tops, which is lower than other graphics intensive games. However, BlueScreenView pulls 0x00000116 from the minidumps, so it is definitely a video-related problem.

Reverting to Nvidia's 285.62 WHQL driver improved stability some, but I still have gotten crashes.

I do think that this is a power issue (even though I have a 1250W PSU :sad:). I have tried the experiment of upping IOH PCIE voltage and ICH PCIE voltage in BIOS. So far, I have had a two-hour session without crashing. I will keep you updated.