• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(22026)

Private
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
I play Japan scenario 1936. Untill august 1940 i had no problems at all. But suddenly in august 1940 the game freezes. I also cant load resent savegames (normal or autosave doesnt make a difference). So I did go back a few savegames and 1 of them worked. HoI runs fine again, but freezes exactly 1 month of playing after loading the savegame.
Example: I load a savegame of august 15; 1 am. The game will freeze again at september 15 1 am.
I have no clue what might cause this. I have no programs running in the background.

Upvote 0
Update

I have run 2 additional separate games (US & USSR) with the same lock up after a re-puppet of Vichy.
*I had made a saved game before GERMANY installs Vichy in both games.
*I went ahead and entered the games as Germany before the Vichy event and forced them to continue the conquest of France.
*Did not have a lock up in either game after doing this.

It was a tedious "work around" but it helped determine that the event does cause the hang up. Hope this helps.

morgand said:
This happened in my game too. Vichy'd France in Fall 41. France beats up on them awhile, then puppets them in Dec 41. Game hangs right in the middle of the 1/1/42 autosave.

Restoring the autosave file causes the game to hang after loading.

I thought it was just a problem with my game, but it sounds very similar to the problems noted by others here.

Fresh install of HOI 1.0, patched to 1.06. No mods.

This sounds very close to my problem . . . however it hangs in SEP42 for me.

See my thread in the support forum page.

I have experienced the same problem mentioned here. I'd like to add that a hardware problem seems very unlikely to me, because my system doesn't freeze. It is only HoI which doesn't react to mouse or keyboard inputs. I still can press crtl-alt-del to bring up the task manager in order to stop the HoI-process.

By the way, I'm playing with a clean install of Hoi patched to version 1.6.

Happened again with Argentina.

The entire vichy-business is annoying - occasionally (happened at least three times for me in separate games) when Vichy is created, a massive number of french divisions remain in the Vichy area, and keep on fighting - diverting axis resources a lot, and in the worst case puppeting vichy in an instant if they happen to occupy the victory hexes. Result: the game crashes.

I deeply love this game, and humbly hope this problem could be fixed.

Perhaps it is just my paranoid nature, but I am left wondering if this will be left until Version 2 of the game comes out.

Needless to say, I for one will be waiting for a heap of positive crash-free feedback before I invest any time and money in it.

On a side-note, I am thoroughly enjoying EU2, so thankfully I have plenty to occupy my mind with in the mean time. :D

I actually registered over this bug, wow. I would just like to join the list of people who have experienced the "clock stop" bug. Everything works fine and nothing freezes up, except that time stops in the game. Playing with the pause key and speed settings does nothing. And yes, reloading is of no avail, the game just stops again at virtually the same date and time, no matter how far back the reload, autosaves or manual saves alike. I have never noticed it tied to any event, France wasn't up to anything to my knowledge when it occurred. I also noticed it was occurring a little later than when you guys were experiencing it, I could've sworn it was sometime around 1943 (playing from a 1936 game). It happened to me no matter what country I played too, I played virtually all the big countries. I have no saves to send you, I basically stopped playing the game, because with a limited deadline like this bug imposed, games weren't much fun anymore. So I've since deleted most of my HOI stuff. I'd love to be able to play again, but why bother 'till this is fixed. This seems like a pretty serious bug, I never got one game past this glitch!

So, any word on this bug?

It just happened to me...same thing...France takes over Vichy France. A month later game and computer freezes. Can't Alt-Tab out or anything. No point in playing HoI any longer. :(

By the way, how sure are you that your systems are actually incurably freezing?

I've had the same problem with the "freezing", and had been doing hard resets with the power button.

But one time I hit cntr-alt-del, and walked away from the computer to get a beer. I came back several minutes later and the Task Manager was on the screen, and I was able to end the application manually.

I have also had these 'freeze' problems in the past. This will happen towards the end of the game and they don't seem to be predictable. what is interesting is I get the same issue on two different computer systems (same savegame).

In both games I had this there was a lot of activity going on in Europe, 44-45 if I remember correctly. Fierce Eastern front, Allied landings etc..

I think many people who get this will think it is a total lockup of their computer, that is what I thought at first. However, if you give it time and try hard enough (using CtrlAltDel and/or windows key) you can usually get task manager up over the top of the frozen HOI and kill it. It is like some high priority thread has got itself in a loop.

Jon.

I've had a similar thing happen (the game stops working on the same date, over and over again), but it doesn't freeze - it just crashes to the desktop and the program quits. I know it's not related to the 30-day thing mentioned earlier in this thread, because I've saved the game on Nov. 1 and Nov. 7, and the crash is on Nov. 8, every time. It's also not related to Vichy, because I chose not to create Vichy France in this particular game. I've looked around at my own events that are set to occur on Nov. 8, but aside from some techs finishing their "research time", nothing else is going on.

Could this be similar to what others have mentioned earlier in this thread - specific events trigger bugs that cause the program to crash? But why would this happen now? I've researched multirole fighters before without any problem.

well in my case the game freezes in the "Initializing Globals" part of the loading, then after 10 min or so it continues to load then when i wanna start playing it freezes again when i´ve picked scenario or savegame and pressed the "start game" button.
I still can shutdown HoI from the task manager however so it isnt a complete computer lockup.
The same thing happend in 1.00 and 1.06.

See France Puppets Vichy Freeze for Workaround

Narva said:
This freeze bug happen to me too :-( I installed Vichy, the free french libarated Vichy and puppet them. A month after the game freezes. Is there a solution yet?

Moderator split the post - See 'France Puppets Vichy Freeze' - Cid Yama for workaround