• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veniathan

First Lieutenant
43 Badges
Jun 16, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
Hello people, recently I encountered a problem in CK2. Pretty gamebreaking.

For every single day that changes in the game, the date that is. The game freezes for a second or so. Regardless the settings I have, what save it is, if anything is going on or not. I know when you speed up the time to the max, it usually starts lagging a bit. That's fine, that's not the problem. The problem is, every time the day changes my game freezes for a whole second. Which is literally unplayable.

I don't even know why, I started a new game, same problem. I tried changing from Windowed to Full Screen, nothing helps. I play in Windowed, so I can use other programs. And it's worked for the past year or so. So why is there a problem now? I haven't changed anything ..

Please try a full clean re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "delete local content" in Steam-CK2
- manually delete all files and folders left under Steam/CK2 AND Documents/Paradox/CK2
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.

If that doesn't help: Please post a dxdiag.txt (you can delete everything after the end of the "Sound devices" section for brevity) and your Documents/CK2/settings.txt. Zip up your whole Documents/Paradox/CK2/logs/ directory and attach or link that here too please.

Please try a full clean re-install:

- manually delete all files and folders left under Steam/CK2 AND Documents/Paradox/CK2

If that doesn't help: Please post a dxdiag.txt (you can delete everything after the end of the "Sound devices" section for brevity) and your Documents/CK2/settings.txt. Zip up your whole Documents/Paradox/CK2/logs/ directory and attach or link that here too please.

Verified files, still continued. Reinstalled the entire game with a clean save. And same problem. It doesn't work. And I don't see why it would, because it started out of nowhere. Like literaly out of no-where. I was just playing and it started freezing. When I pause the game it's smooth as butter. As soon as it starts rolling, unplayable. I throught it was an issue with my computer, it seems it is not. Because I play about 10 different videogames. And I don't have any problems. Even in EUIV, no problems.

The CK2 logs: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ip586xub3inubif/logs.rar
The DxDiag: http://www.mediafire.com/download/pkw766uybec7qy8/DxDiag.txt

Additional information: I am running Historical Immersion Project. Enabling the SWMH, NBRT, Project Balance and Project Realignment Pack (made the mods compatible with culture files). And starting new game doesn't help. Also I'm playing in windowed mode. So I can chat and play, using Skype or whatever the fuck.

I installed CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Speccy. Ran the game, played with this issue. Measured temperatures

Motherboard Average: 51c
CPU Average: 44c
GPU Average: 49C

All seem completely fine to me. So heat should not be a problem

Is this only happening when using that mod? Load the game with no mods active, what checksum do you see now?

Is this only happening when using that mod? Load the game with no mods active, what checksum do you see now?

I tried without mods, the same problem persists. Why would the checksum matter?

Edit: I reinstall CK2 all over again, including Steam. Nothing helped. I'll try updating Nvidia driver or something .. I dont know anymore
Edit 2: New driver didnt help

Last edited:
Load the game with no mods active, what checksum do you see now?

OK good, that confirms the game installation is fundamentally sound. I can see no more problems in those files at all.

The clean reinstall has ensured the game is exactly like it was before this problem started, so something obviously happened in your computer or Windows at that time to trigger this ...

What anti-virus do you have? If you disable it as a test, does this still happen?

What if you exit Steam and manually run ck2game.exe , does it still happen? If so, while it's running switch to the desktop and run Task Manager. In there set the priority for ck2game.exe to High, and set its Affinity to just 1 or maybe 2 CPUs - any different?

OK good, that confirms the game installation is fundamentally sound. I can see no more problems in those files at all.

The clean reinstall has ensured the game is exactly like it was before this problem started, so something obviously happened in your computer or Windows at that time to trigger this ...

What anti-virus do you have? If you disable it as a test, does this still happen?

What if you exit Steam and manually run ck2game.exe , does it still happen? If so, while it's running switch to the desktop and run Task Manager. In there set the priority for ck2game.exe to High, and set its Affinity to just 1 or maybe 2 CPUs - any different?

I use Malwarebytes, PRO edition. Bought it some time ago. It can't be an issue because the Anti-Virus isn't even running, when I play videogames I don't turn on my Anti Virus at all. I also excluded the entire SteamApps folder from being scanned and searched by the Anti Virus. I scan it manually instead but, it's not like viruses ever go there anyway.

Regardless. I have the CPU Priority of CK2 on High, and that's my decision, because it gives me higher FPS, better performance, response. It's never been a problem before, since I bought the game it's been like this. Lowering it does not do anything. Just lowers my overall performance and keeps freezing the game anyway. Ordering how many CPU's it should to use, or rather. Lowering it from "All CPU's" just lowers the performance, continues freezing per day and skips music. So it's just worse. Nothing seems to matter regarding it.

Another thing, this freezing only seems to happen when I'm actually moving around. The screen that is, going left, right, up or down anywhere in the world. It freezes. But if it's still, and I'm just playing, doing whatever, moving troops or diplomacy it doesn't matter. It doesn't freeze at all and it's running at about 60fps..

I wasn't suggesting lowering the priority of ck2game.exe, but raising it. But as you already have it on High, never mind.

I'm basically out of ideas as to what has happened to your machine or Windows to cause this. And why only CK2?

Is Task Manager, applications, completely blank before you start the game?

Have you done any overclocking of CPU or GPU? Changed any settings in the nVidia Control centre? (Yes, I'm getting desperate :)

I wasn't suggesting lowering the priority of ck2game.exe, but raising it. But as you already have it on High, never mind.

I'm basically out of ideas as to what has happened to your machine or Windows to cause this. And why only CK2?

Is Task Manager, applications, completely blank before you start the game?

Have you done any overclocking of CPU or GPU? Changed any settings in the nVidia Control centre? (Yes, I'm getting desperate :)

I have lots of other processes in the background, drivers and things. Most are pretty necessary, but it's never ever been a problem. And I've even played this with a dualcore CPU back in 2012 without any issues. So I'm as desperate as you are. I played EU IV, no problems strangely.

I have not overclocked my CPU or GPU ever. Nor do I plan to. I did change settings in the nVidia Control Center. I forced Vsync off, and for it to use maximum power of my GPU. Turning this off, does not fix problem at all.

I wasn't talking about background stuff that you see in the Processes tab, I was talking about the Applications tab - that's empty before you run the game?

But now you bring it up, have you installed any new utilities that appear in there?

Also you mentioned Malwarebytes, which is excellent - have you run a deep scan recently? You might also try a second unrelated app, such as Spybot, as well.

Hi, I got exacly same problem, few days ago i lunch CK2 and everything is like Veniathan say.
Well, the game itself has not changed since July. What has triggered this for him I do not know. But I suggest you carefully go through this entire thread and try everything I've suggested; just because you have the same symptom doesn't mean you have the same cause.

Well, the game itself has not changed since July. What has triggered this for him I do not know. But I suggest you carefully go through this entire thread and try everything I've suggested; just because you have the same symptom doesn't mean you have the same cause.

Yeah I suppose, it's not thaaat annoying .. I can still play, it's decreased a little. So yeah, maybe it will disappear. I hope so, I don't know what caused it. I aint reinstalling my whole PC for this.

I'm very sorry we haven't found the cause of this for you. But I'm confident it is outside the game. Did you try running deep scans with 2 or 3 different malware apps , as I suggested above?

I decide to bump this thread in hope that maybe I can fix it. I uploaded a video to demonstrate the bug, you can see when I play unpaused it goes crazy.

[video=youtube;j8NJnAAMr8s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NJnAAMr8s[/video]

Since this thread started there have been updates, so let's throw them at the problem.

Video: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/78873
CK2: opt into the 2.2.0.4 beta in the Steam-ck2-properties-beta tab.

Now do a full clean re-install of CK2 to make sure everything's new:

If no change, let's get a new set of files please, including settings.txt this time, as per post #2 above.

Sorry this is taking so long!

Status
Not open for further replies.