• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is starting to happen again playing as Rome. I am at 998AUC.
It's 573AUC at me, as Sparta. I let cool down the PC (Windows) but it doesn't work
Can I please get what actual CPU and GPU temperatures you both see in the main game menu, then again after say 10 minutes' play. Thank you!

Those temps are fine so the issue is elsewhere.

Do you have a save game that duplicates the problem?

I have the same problem. It seems to happen right after I win a war and take a large amount of land (~80 ae+). After a while (typically 6 months to a year) the game gets back to its normal speed. I don't get the problem again until I annex a large amount of land and the process starts over again.

Hi. I also started seeing this problem. It started late in the game (~100h) and the first time I saw this was after a war where a large amount of land was granted, just like TeD E mentioned above. I lowered by graphic setting to the lowest I could. I have additional memory now so that's not it. I have a saved game that when I start it, it freezes 3d later. I would upload the game file but I don't know where they are saved.

This PC/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator/save games

By about the year 800 I had nearly 250000 characters in my save game and I found that deleting a large portion of the dead ones temporarily fixed the problem. I was able to play for about 100 more in game years before the problem came back. The best solution I can come up with is that Paradox could make the game "ignore" characters after they have been dead for maybe 50 years? The characters that I deleted took up nearly 5000000 lines in the save file so I assume that taking massive amounts of land must also add/take up enormous sizes in the save file.

I tried to replicate this in early game by adding an enormous amount of pops and characters and then annexing many large countries. The game started freezing ~20 years after the start date so I would say that this problem definitely has something to do with large numbers of pops and characters and large land transfers.

Now I played it again as Sparta, from the beginning, until 583 and in the end of the war with Phrygia, the game stopped and didn't go on. The temperatures of the CPU etc. are all in the normal range. It's really annoying because I'm about to win the war.

By about the year 800 I had nearly 250000 characters in my save game and I found that deleting a large portion of the dead ones temporarily fixed the problem. I was able to play for about 100 more in game years before the problem came back. The best solution I can come up with is that Paradox could make the game "ignore" characters after they have been dead for maybe 50 years? The characters that I deleted took up nearly 5000000 lines in the save file so I assume that taking massive amounts of land must also add/take up enormous sizes in the save file.

I tried to replicate this in early game by adding an enormous amount of pops and characters and then annexing many large countries. The game started freezing ~20 years after the start date so I would say that this problem definitely has something to do with large numbers of pops and characters and large land transfers.
This is a great observation and I agree could well be the cause of this, in many or even most of the reported cases here.

On the basis of this you should make a new thread in Bug Reports with these findings, and sample save games showing it.

Well done!

Someone know if this has been fixed? I had the same problem with my last playthrough and I had to quit the campaign because of that. Maybe I can play the game now?
If you get it due to an accumulation of dead characters after the designed game end in 727 AUC, then no it has not been fixed. If you get it before then, that is a problem and if my suggestion above of it being reported in Bug Reports has not happened yet, please go ahead with that!