• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Santaclausegaming

Recruit
1 Badges
Aug 18, 2021
  • Crusader Kings II
So I have Crusader kings 2 on Steam, and after playing the game for a day, every time I open it, it gets to a white screen for about 2 seconds, then closes. I feel like I've tried everything, but it still doesn't work. I am not very experienced in computer stuff, so I will need a detailed walkthrough of fixing it. Thank you in advance!

Please edit the file Documents/paradox/ck2/settings.txt to say:
fullScreen=no
borderless=yes

IF that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

The game is crashing with a Windows error c0000005 , which is often an antivirus app getting in the way. Which one do you use?

Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

What if you disable McAfee completely, temporarily as a test?

Please Install ALL these Microsoft modules - the x86 and x64 installer from each

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

THEN go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

Please let me know what happens with each of those 7 installs, any error or problem.

So that would be 7 updaters/installers you ran in total, is that right?

If so I can only come back to McAfee I'm afraid. Please uninstall it then use the free utilities Ccleaner and Revo Uninstaller to make sure it's all gone.

Then try the game again, I expect it will work now. Then you can reinstall McAfee, as most AV apps will trust apps that are already there when they are installed.

Good luck!

What happens if you exit the Steam app entirely then run ck2game.exe directly from File Explorer?

My question was, what happens? Do you see anything on the screen? Any WIndows error show?

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK2
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK2 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK2 or Documents CK2 locations, before installing again.

IF that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .