Game crashes on launch with exit code 3221226356 on a windows 11 pc

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The_Chrissyboy

Recruit
Nov 9, 2022
Game wont start with the error code.

Thus far I have

Unsubscribed and uninstalled all mods
Updated all GFX drivers Nvidea 3080 to the march 2020
Installed all C++ modules and direct x
Set in compatibility to disable fullscreen optimisations, also run as administrator but the error code changes to null
Uninstalled
Wiped paradox document folders
Clean installed
Added stellaris and the paradox launcher to exceptions for Avast ransomware shield
Disabled defender and Avast entirely
Have run in borderless fullscreen and windowed.

This is a clean windows install that has been verified with sfc /scannow command in the command prompt.
But the machine itself has run stellaris before without any issues prior to reinstalling.

No mention of stellaris.exe in that dxdiag. What happens if you run it manually from File Explorer, any Windows error show then?

Our similar game Crusader Kings 2 is free to play on Steam now, does it work or have a similar problem?

No mention of stellaris.exe in that dxdiag. What happens if you run it manually from File Explorer, any Windows error show then?

Our similar game Crusader Kings 2 is free to play on Steam now, does it work or have a similar problem?
I can run CK2 (fav game btw you guys emptied my wallet on that one) and 3 easily,

There's no play in running Stellaris directly from the file system either. The title card flashes and then nothing.

No real idea then ... what if you make a new Windows user and log into Windows with that? Do you get the same problem?

No real idea then ... what if you make a new Windows user and log into Windows with that? Do you get the same problem?
So I have been on this nearly 48 hours trawling reddit boards and looking for others with a similar problem to mine and I found some random message with no upvotes on a post from 3 or so years ago which said unplug any type of controller you have plugged in.

I have a razer Tartarus, which I unplugged and the game worked, I then plugged it back in and it didn't but posted no error reports.

I unplugged it again and the game works again.

So it seems to be some kind of driver conflict.

Either way I'm not going to be using the Tartarus to play stellaris so you can close this ticket, I just hope you can use this info to help others.

Thanks for your help up to now.

We've seen devices like joysticks and Xbox game controllers cause this, but not Razer gear up until now. All I can really suggest is to check with them for updates drivers, as most of yours seem to date from 2022 at present.

Good luck!

Error code 3221226356 translates into

Code:
0xC0000374
STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION

A heap has been corrupted.
for the purpose of diagnostic codes.

This is a serious problem, as it means that some piece of code has run amok in a piece of memory it had no business writing into.

Since you already traced the problem to a piece of hardware, it's a rather safe bet it's driver has run afoul with the game's data in memory.

We've seen devices like joysticks and Xbox game controllers cause this, but not Razer gear up until now. All I can really suggest is to check with them for updates drivers, as most of yours seem to date from 2022 at present.

Good luck!
Their app is pushier on updates than windows 10, I'll file them off a (more you know) report but they're pushing the new pro version of this particular controller and a v2 so I think support for it might have ended.

Error code 3221226356 translates into

Code:
0xC0000374
STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION

A heap has been corrupted.
for the purpose of diagnostic codes.

This is a serious problem, as it means that some piece of code has run amok in a piece of memory it had no business writing into.

Since you already traced the problem to a piece of hardware, it's a rather safe bet it's driver has run afoul with the game's data in memory.
Yeah, haven't had this issue with any other game, I do know that if I have this controller in windows will not recognize my flight stick as being plugged in at the same time when I play elite dangerous which is a shame as I bought it to use as a macro board for that game.

Its been as much use to me as a catflap on a submarine outside of that and I think I'm deluding myself to ever find a use for it that justifies its expenditure. In short its rubbish and I should have thrown it out by now...

Thanks for your help

"Vir, Vir, Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics". Londo Molari B5 S3 Ep9

I'm having the exact same problem with the same error code. I am currently using a razer deathadder essential and a razer huntsman v2. I have no other peripherals that I can use. Any idea what I can do?

Has this game ever worked on this machine?

What happens if you run stellaris.exe directly from file explorer?

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log

I have a razer Tartarus, which I unplugged and the game worked, I then plugged it back in and it didn't but posted no error reports.

I unplugged it again and the game works again.
Dude you saved my life, I tried so many things, drivers, software, game repair, tried the game in two ssds and nothing, the moment I took my Tartarus, the game worked fine, after 5 hours, one unplug made my game work, I owe you one.