• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xixixi

Recruit
30 Badges
Oct 1, 2018
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
Hello,

sadly i´m experiencing game crashes which occure regularly in different (fresh) campaigns.
i´m not using any mods, using the newest version and the game is pretty recent re-installed.

This problem happens since forever (years) but its gotten worse and worse and since the last version its really annoying.

Just for kicks i thought i´m gonna open up a thread and post some exception logs here:

Today:
Application: Stellaris
Version: 3.6.1
Date/Time: 2023-02-28 17:27:36

Unhandled exception C0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0x0000000000000026

Stack Trace:
1 (function-name not available) (+ 0)
2 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_swapSLE64 (+ 943236)
3 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_swapSLE64 (+ 940705)
4 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_swapSLE64 (+ 19524124)
5 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_swapSLE64 (+ 19523817)
6 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_swapSLE64 (+ 19551887)
7 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_writeUBE64 (+ 4832968)
8 KERNEL32.DLL BaseThreadInitThunk (+ 29)
9 ntdll.dll RtlUserThreadStart (+ 40)
10 ntdll.dll RtlUserThreadStart (+ 40)[/CODE]

Always looks kinda like the same issue?!
Hope someone can help :)

Thx

EDIT:
Oh wow, i had to remove the other 4 log-contents because the forum wouldnt let me save (looked like spam or whatever message... really?)
I added all crash folders as files (without the minidumb due to file-size restrictions)

Attachments

• crashes.7z
    7,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Are these crashes reproducible from a save file? That is, if you load it again does it crash in the same place o you can carry on for a while?

If so please make a new thread in Bug Reports and attach it there for QA to look into.

If it's more random though; is there any particular action or event in the game that seems to trigger it?

All the folders in that attached file show as 0 bytes here ...

Oh wow, i had to remove the other 4 log-contents because the forum wouldnt let me save (looked like spam or whatever message... really?)
That should only happen to links, not file attachments.

no the crashes happen on different occasions also while doing different actions.
Its not reproductible in the typical sense. it seems they occur sporadic triggered by some background game stuff not visible to the player.

today it was like 15-20 minutes between each crash although i did start the game immediately again after each crash.
also they appeared while doing different things (fleet fight, second was event popup i guess and the other two i forgot)

i added the zip file (in the reply) again and the folders with files are definately in there..

Attachments

• crashes.7z
    7,6 KB · Views: 0
Still shows as empty, and when I try to open a folder it says I don't have permission.

There should be no problem attaching .txt or .log files here though ... ?

lol, its a common zip file bro. seems like issues on your end tbh.
but sure i can add all files as single files.
the .log files dont have any dates in it, so you wont be able to know which .log and exception.txt fit together, but well..
assuming the upload order stays the same as i attached the files, the error.log and exception.txt should allways be a pair

Attachments

• error.log
    1,3 KB · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
    999 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    2,5 KB · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
    803 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    487 bytes · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
  • error.log
    263 bytes · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
  • error.log
    88 bytes · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
I open .zip files here every day; .7z not so commonly but I don't recall having such issues before.

As you can see in those log files you're getting corrupted saved games, and other errors that I'm not seeing elsewhere. Are you 100% sure no mods are in use here?

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere, and user empire designs.txt from /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ if you have made any custom empires or races.
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris folders - In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again.
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new galaxy, NOT any existing one

Do you get the same problem now?

well yea the error.log files do have problems in it but the timestamps do not correlate with the timestamps in the exceptions.txt.
yes i´m sure i dont use any mods. i have played several thousand hours in this game, this sporadic crashes exist for a looooong time already, just getting worse and worse.

okay i´m gonna do a clean install again although my current install is just a few months old at best.
The Defender Tip is the one new thing i heard in your message, maybe this will help with the sporadic access violation exceptions.

the game crashes are very related to the campaign i play. Usually i use auto-generated empires only.
I`m pretty sure the AI does not work well with specific generated empires and produces errors by itself (in the decision-making stuff) which later then result in game crashes.
These access violation exceptions could also happen through mutlithreading in the AI, ThreadA is calculating some stuff while ThreadB is alread trying to access and use is (before the calculation and final decleration is finished)

i wi*ll d*o th*e cl*ean ins*tall and re*port back. <-- why the hell is this sentence not allowed when i hit save? (without * of course..) Thats ridicolous..
Thx 4 now!

Last edited:
I`m pretty sure the AI does not work well with specific generated empires and produces errors by itself (in the decision-making stuff) which later then result in game crashes.
These access violation exceptions could also happen through mutlithreading in the AI, ThreadA is calculating some stuff while ThreadB is alread trying to access and use is (before the calculation and final decleration is finished)
If that is the problem, then you and I will not be able to fix this for you here, it would need a game patch.

But let's see how the clean reinstall goes.