Game crash 2020 MacBook Air when assigning frontline

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lofty_Penguin

Recruit
18 Badges
Apr 12, 2009
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
I have tried to play the game with or without any of the DLCs. The game works fine on my 2017 MacBook Air but it crashes every time I try to assign frontline when playing with any of the countries. I am using the 2020 MacBook Air. No messages after the crash, just crashes to desktop.

Submit a bug report here. I am not sure if Paradox has customer support.

Does your MacBook Air have a GPU? Not having one can be an issue. Limited RAM can also be an issue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Lofty_Penguin ,

You might also consider these options:
  • Keeping as few apps open as necessary.
  • Increase your virtual memory size. Reference what is virtual memory on the Mac.
  • Lower the graphics settings for the game.
    • Launch the game.
    • Click the "OPTIONS" button.
    • Click the "Video" tab.
    • Experiment with the video settings. Only change one at a time and run the game to see the affects.
      • Change the Texture Quality from "High" to "Medium".
      • Change the Texture Quality from "Medium" to "Low".
      • Uncheck one of the boxes such as "Reflections".

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks, I will do that. The MacBook has the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
That actually is not an independent GPU. It uses the CPU for graphic processing and it uses RAM for graphic memory. Limited RAM may indeed be the reason you can't start the game. You can try increasing the allowance for memory paging on harddrive as @Mister Analyst has suggested. But honestly, I am expecting that the game runs unbearable slow with the integrated graphic.

I ran HOI4 on a Windows Surface Pro once and for whatever odd reason it wouldn't run on the discrete graphic but instead uses the CPU for graphic (Surface can do both). 5 speed was the same as 3 or 2 speed. There was no way to sync in MP games. etc. And it was the highest spec available among Surface Pro at the time. Just a 2 years ago I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The weird thing is that the game boots up and runs quite fast. I can control the units and let them move around and the speed isn't an issue. However, the game crashes when I assign a front line for these units. The brush comes up for assigning the frontline and then the game crashes. It's as if a specific graphic detail is somehow different in the newer version of Macbooks.

The weird thing is that the game boots up and runs quite fast. I can control the units and let them move around and the speed isn't an issue. However, the game crashes when I assign a front line for these units. The brush comes up for assigning the frontline and then the game crashes. It's as if a specific graphic detail is somehow different in the newer version of Macbooks.
Have you updated your video driver? Have you tried rolling back your video driver to the one that worked before? You might also try to isolate the video feature that is causing the crash by changing the game video settings as explained above, i.e., "Experiment with the video settings. Only change one at a time and run the game to see the affects. " If all of that fails, then post a bug report with the makers of the Mac in addition to contacting HOI4 Tech Support.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Besides what Mister Analyst said, have you tried re-installing the game (after clearing all residue files, etc)? Also make sure graphics and sound drivers are up to date. Make sure the correct video library is installed. (Probably some DirectX package.) That'll be a good start as you wait for your tech support post to be answered.

Last edited:
Have you tried not playing on Mac? It might fix the problem.

Have you tried not playing on Mac? It might fix the problem.

That won't "fix" anything because the problem is with the mac version, evidently.

It may all soon be a moot point since Apple has announced they are transitioning to so-called "Apple Silicon", AKA, ARM processors. Will Paradox port their games? Kinda skeptical.