• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Am I the only one who doesn't think the Vicky series is all that well suited for more tribal-like societies being playable?

Lake Victoria kingdoms dealing with debt would be odd.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ok, lets split this up.
Major DLC
1.) Decentralized Nations DLC (Actually working societies not based around classical statehood, with differing mechanics)
2.) Great War DLC (Militaries improvments for the lategame)
3.) International Organisations DLC (should be self-explaining, shouldn`t it)
4.) Peacetime Lategame Enhancement DLC (Improved development of lategame ideologies, start of an battle of the big ideologies communism/facism/liberal capitalism)
5.) Non-State-Actors DLC (Addition of large companies, possible religious actors)

Minor DLC
1.) German Confederation DLC
2.) US Civil War Enhancement
3.) Colonial Enhancement

Region Packs
1.) Central and western Europe
2.) North America
3.) East Asia
4.) Eastern Europe
5.) Africa
6.) Middle East
7.) South America

• 9Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
National flavor expansions seem to definitely be coming. When they expand the wargame side, they’ll probably add an 1860 starting date, perhaps one starting somewhere between 1908 and 1911 when any of several crises could start a Great War, and one might even go back to Napoleon. In a game that’s supposed to be an economic sim and not a wargame, it might even make more sense to offer starting dates after each major war, focusing more on Reconstruction than a Civil War that many other games will simulate in much closer detail. This will be a good chance to introduce historical figures from different time periods who’d otherwise probably never all appear. But, most players will probably continue to just pick the earliest start date.

Last edited:
Reactions:
National flavor expansions seem to definitely be coming. When they expand the wargame side, they’ll probably add an 1860 starting date, perhaps one starting somewhere between 1908 and 1911 when any of several crises could start a Great War, and one might even go back to Napoleon. In a game that’s supposed to be an economic sim and not a wargame, it might even make more sense to offer starting dates after each major war, focusing more on Reconstruction than a Civil War that many other games will simulate in much closer detail. This will be a good chance to introduce historical figures from different time periods who’d otherwise probably never all appear. But, most players will probably continue to just pick the earliest start date.
Other start years are very unlikely

Last edited:
Reactions:
It is too early to determine what I think Victoria 3 will need for DLC, but I am most concerned about banking and agricultural depth.

While this is more of an EU period thing (at least for Europe), changing agricultural systems from open field communal structures to closed field individual farming was not like flicking a switch or spending a few bucks. There was a societal/cultural barrier that gave some momentum to the system that was in place. Again, maybe more EU period (for Europe), but I think the same thing was true of early industrialization (I vaguely recall that early machines would be targeted and damaged). At least thus far, changing production methods has appeared to be mainly a financial thing. Adding social factors to modernization might be a good topic for a DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know there's still a long way until release. But I would be interested to know what DLC could come for Victoria 3 in the future - apart from flavor packs? Do you have a rough idea or wishes?

1st cycle:
VIcky3: Scramble for Africa; Mechanics for African nations, the Suez channel and international meetings; mostly international-related and fighting tribal nations
Cosmetic unit packs for Africa and colonizers
Music packs for Africa
Famous characters pack
Minor regional DLCs

2nd cycle:
VIcky3: Internal Conflicts. An overhaul of the internal mechanics with the introduction of civil wars; a new start date allowing players to jump in into the historical Civil War
Cosmetic unit packs for America
Music packs for America
Minor DLCs for Latin American nations

3rd cycle
Concentrating on Asia, a DLC specifically related to China and one perhaps for Japan (or both) which includes also as FLC a major overhaul of all uncivilized nations and how they work
Cosmetic unit packs for America
Music packs for America
India mini DLC

4th cycle
THE GREAT WAR. Later start date perhaps, but specifically a major overhaul of the Crisis system; largely warfare-related (could be two separate DLCs, one related to diplo and another just to warfare)
WW1-related songs
WW1-related unit packs
Famous characters from WW1 era pack
The Empire In Which The Sun Never Sets UK-specifically related DLCs that vastly improves Dominion mechanics and other forms of limited sovereignty of dependencies; possibly a minor colonial rework following along as a FLC.

Minor packs along the road: "The Great Discoveries" DLC mostly related to archeology, tech boosts, research and related events. Also the one that introduces a culture-specific Daily Chronicle.

Maybe along the way a "Famous Inventors" mini DLC, perhaps FLC.

Reactions:
An alt-history DLC, where a Napoleonic French Empire dominates Europe to large extent, while Britain is still the most powerful country on the seas. This would allow certain "new" countries to be in-game in a rather interesting situation, such as a Poland in one form or another, or a proto-Yugoslavia Illyria.

With Prussia being greatly diminished, a Rhenish Republic would switch the focus of the German Lands westwards, potentially competing with an enlarged Bavaria.

As overarching themes, a system of collapsing French hegemony and vassals / allies trying to break free, with the French trying to solidify their grasp on Europe and return the old glory of the Empire.

If we want even more global changes, at perhaps the cost of some historical credibility, an India mostly free of British rule and governed by a few larger states could add some spice to the part of the world (I found India remarkably dull in VicII). I could also imagine some maréchal or Buonaparte on the Spanish throne wrestling with rebels in the Americas being interesting.

Reactions:
If we want even more global changes, at perhaps the cost of some historical credibility
"The East India Company's sponsored pretender in Bengal in the 1750s lost his war for the throne and caused a political hellstorm in London" is a perfectly reasonable scenario :)

Prussian Horse Armour Pack - 20 EUR/20 USD/20 GBP

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I just want a full blown "Museums DLC".

I want Archeological expeditions to enrich your Imperial Museums, exquisite Natural History Museum, Botanical gardens and Zoos for the plants and animals from around the Empire, and of course Fine Art Galleries, where your artists can exhibit their talent and ridicule the poor taste of your neighbors.

• 5Like
Reactions:
An alt-history DLC, where a Napoleonic French Empire dominates Europe to large extent, while Britain is still the most powerful country on the seas. This would allow certain "new" countries to be in-game in a rather interesting situation, such as a Poland in one form or another, or a proto-Yugoslavia Illyria.
What I think would be even better for a DLC is to add an earlier start for Napoleon and add whatever ahistorical tags make sense. Then you could play as the First Empire, win, set up the peace however you like, save the game, and switch nations.

An alt-history mod should have good lore and flavor. An alt-history DLC should have new assets and mechanics that you wouldn’t expect the community to make on their own. (Although they do so often go above and beyond!)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Here’s hoping that there aren’t any regional flavor packs (or at least hoping they are limited in number). Flavor packs so far in other Paradox games have essentially just consisted of a few events, cosmetics, and decisions sold at $8. It’s the most surface level of surface level stuff, half of what you pay for is just flavor text. If you’re going to do Flavor packs, I’m hoping for at least one new actual mechanic that gets added. But overall, I think making more wide and mechanic focused DLC (which I’d be fine paying more for if it comes out less often) would be the way this one should go.
It depends how they're handled. Flavor packs are fine in HoI4 and bad in EU4.

In EU4's case, mission trees have never worked very well and the other mechanical changes were so weak that they basically didn't exist. Innovativeness is one example of a flavor pack mechanic that was shockingly weak. It was so bad that it was recently buffed so you gain it at double the rate, and it's *still* not worthwhile in most instances.

In HoI4's case, though, country packs like Battle for the Bosporus and Death or Dishonor were quite good, as they gave a sizeable boost to nations that otherwise sat around doing nothing. Part of this is from how bad the default focus tree and guarantee mechanics are in HoI4, but the DLCs are good nonetheless.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This may be controversial &/or not feasible, but I was thinking of a small expansion which allows you to create a custom country.(If not in a free patch or something...) Sort of like the nation designer we got in EU4's El Dorado expansion.

Reactions:
My bet for the firat DLC would be something called "Manifest Destiny", some of the free features it would include is the ability to claim land and define borders in territories you dont own yet, to simulate borders in colonial territories, a parlament/senate/house of representarive system is also i expect to be available for free

The paid features would be mostly centered in the USA, it would add the ability to draw statea from the wester territory, more flavour for ots political party and the situation of slavery, on top of making the Amerindians playable, hopefully it will also include mormonism and other religious movements that appeared at the time in the US

Reactions:
Possibly, but what makes you say this?
They've repeatedly said that very few players play alternate starts, and that they are extremely time-intensive to make and research, meaning that they are a poor investment of dev time and effort.

That's why they've generally moved away from multiple start dates in more recent releases.

Reactions: