• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Omitier

Private
64 Badges
Feb 21, 2016
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
I know there's still a long way until release. But I would be interested to know what DLC could come for Victoria 3 in the future - apart from flavor packs? Do you have a rough idea or wishes?

• 5Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I hope they're resonably priced and with interesting content. I didn't buy a DLC on day one since a long time.
As for what they'll be, there are still so many things we don't know about the game that it's very early to say.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I just hope for a steampunk DLC.

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
War of the Worlds for the last one.

• 13Like
Reactions:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
I've been thinking about this for some time. It's hard to see what DLC they'd add. They can't extend the timeline (in either direction and not in any meaningful way without staying true to the time period/branching into a different time period) and the whole world is unlocked from the start (compared to say CK where they could add China in a DLC for example).

In saying that, they have DLC for HoI4 and that had a lot of the same key elements as Vicy has (specific time period, whole world). So my guess is the DLC will flesh out large areas of the game such as naval combat or colonization or whatever. Maybe some specific country changes. That sort of thing.

• 6Like
Reactions:
the whole world is unlocked from the start
I seem to recall Paradox have explicitly stated that the Unorganized Countries (places where people live, but there is nothing recognizable as a "country") will not be playable in the base game at release.

So there's one DLC-unlockable right there.

• 5Like
Reactions:
nothing recognizable as a "country"
Tiny nitpick, but even for most of the regions defined as "decentralised" (the Victoria 3 term, not Unorganized) there were definitely countries, just ones either very decentralised where there was a very high level of autonomy for the individual towns/villages (the tourage confederacies, Mossi Empire, Kingdom of Nri, Central African kingdoms etc), or where the region was more a collection of decently centralized city states but not big enough to be feasibly modeled (most of the West African coast for example).

Either way, there's definitely DLC possibility there (in fact I'd pretty much guarantee it'll come at some point), though the differences between different decentralised areas would be difficult to model.

They can't extend the timeline (in either direction and not in any meaningful way without staying true to the time period/branching into a different time period)
They've actually said they have been thinking about maybe adding an 1821 start date at some point, which is far back enough to add quite a lot of content without creating too big of a butterfly effect, like a Napoleonic or French Revolution start date would.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I think each dlc will flesh different aspects of the game, while adding more details to areas; it'll be similar to the dlc policy in other Paradox games (but I hope it is way more planned out)

Tiny nitpick, but even for most of the regions defined as "decentralised" (the Victoria 3 term, not Unorganized) there were definitely countries, just ones either very decentralised where there was a very high level of autonomy for the individual towns/villages (the tourage confederacies, Mossi Empire, Kingdom of Nri, Central African kingdoms etc), or where the region was more a collection of decently unified city states but not big enough to be feasibly modeled (most of the West African coast for example).
According to the in legal and political studies widely accepted General Theory of the State by Jellinek a state has to be all of the following: 1. a piece of land, 2. a population living on it, and 3. a functional government ruling over it. If one or more are missing, the entity in question is not a state, thus you could also say “unorganised” nature.

I know there's still a long way until release. But I would be interested to know what DLC could come for Victoria 3 in the future - apart from flavor packs? Do you have a rough idea or wishes?
Here’s hoping that there aren’t any regional flavor packs (or at least hoping they are limited in number). Flavor packs so far in other Paradox games have essentially just consisted of a few events, cosmetics, and decisions sold at $8. It’s the most surface level of surface level stuff, half of what you pay for is just flavor text. If you’re going to do Flavor packs, I’m hoping for at least one new actual mechanic that gets added. But overall, I think making more wide and mechanic focused DLC (which I’d be fine paying more for if it comes out less often) would be the way this one should go.

Reactions:
Beyond making unrecognised countries playable, I think it's too early to say. I guess the DLC required will become apparent as we play through the game and understand where more depth is needed.

They've actually said they have been thinking about maybe adding an 1821 start date at some point, which is far back enough to add quite a lot of content without creating too big of a butterfly effect, like a Napoleonic or French Revolution start date would.
Can someone point to where this was stated? I seemed to have missed it.

• 4Like
Reactions:
According to the in legal and political studies widely accepted General Theory of the State by Jellinek a state has to be all of the following: 1. a piece of land, 2. a population living on it, and 3. a functional government ruling over it. If one or more are missing, the entity in question is not a state, thus you could also say “unorganised” nature.
Well, under those definitions then they are definitely states/collections of states. Weak states/small states mind you, but still states.

Can someone point to where this was stated? I seemed to have missed it.
It seems they've been more vague than the way I phrased it/remembered it(unless I read something else I just can't find atm.).
We actually did debate the start date internally but chose 1836 because there is a lot of things important to the era (South America, Belgium, etc) that just aren't in place in 1821.
I will say this: If we were to ever add any more start dates to the game at some point, I think 1821 would be the strongest candidate - but for release at least we want to focus on the 'core century' 1836-1936.
So, they seem to have thought about it, and if they were to add additional start dates it would be 1821, but I don't get the feeling it's something that's planned at the moment even for DLC any time soon.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can imagine an internal politics Patch+DLC with bringing Parties and their Politicians for a cabinet government (made here some suggestions) as well as more options for a constitution, maybe a real constitution builder - the 19th century was the time of constitution creating with many interesting compositions!

• 2Like
Reactions: