Further DH development proposal: Reserve divisions, brigades, and regiments mechanics

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

filmaty98

Sergeant
42 Badges
Oct 18, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
Greetings everyone.

I'd like to present you here my proposal of implementation of "reserve divisions system" for Darkest Hour, which would allow also creation of smaller units, like brigades and regiments. As far as I'm concerned, this system would use already exsisting in game commands, such as "strength" and "max_strength" which are used while defining ordre de batallie of countries in scenarios files. However, it still requires some hard-coding work from developers, because it requires creation of part of UI of division builder UI, sooo... I hope you'll like it guys, so much that you'd like to implement it at some point into the game.
uuuuu_antyeskimosizm.png

And here it is, how do I see it work:
  1. The top vertical slider would set the "max_strength" value for the unit player's going to order
  2. The down vertical slider would set the "strength" value
  3. Both of these sliders would work only "step-by-step" (just like policy sliders), for given values (these values above are only representation of course, they can be as well for ex. 100 - 66 - 33, 100 - 60 - 40 etc.), and would not allow player to set absolutely random both strength and max_strength
Honestly, such system would ideally reqiure also some "mobilisation system" adjustments, like:
  1. adding somewhere in the diplomacy UI "mobilisation" buttons, not to do it via event, ideally which would allow a few steps of mobilisation, where each one would take a bit time, (a bit like it works in HoI3, but better based on transport capacity instead of IC, and like I've mentioned - step by step)
  2. a new in game engine command which would allow the game to distinguish reserve division from operational, full strength division, in case of demobilisation, not to demobilise absolutely every single division like it works now
  3. (this one is extremely idealistic) a new in game engine command which would distinguish soldiers and horses, which are mobilised from division equipment, which can be storaged (ideally for example, such deep-reserve division would have during peace time 10% of its manpower and horses, and 100% of its equipment, and would be immobilised in province where it stations, just like garrison divisions currently, which would represent fact, that this division does not have capability to move because it is in its peace time garrisons)
BUT. But implementation of proposed by me system de facto does not requires to immediatelly implement also these work-consuming changes, since for now in game there are already both reserve units and understrength units. And my proposal would allow player simply to create them, instead of only seeing them at the start of the game. The last three points are rather somewhat idealistic signposts, and if you - developers would be interested about some more in depth details, how do I see them, I can explain them wider later. And if not, I understand.

I hope you guys will like my proposal, and consider its implementation. I highly encourage everyone to discussion.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Such improvement of game mechanics, that allows to build divisions according to the peacetime staff of 5-10-20-30% instead of building 100% divisions would be really a great step towards Realism and Historicity. (damn, why here isn't a thumb icon)
This will help to save supplies and oil in peacetime, so it is not only realistically but also is useful for gameplay.

But obviously, final cost of such division in any case should not be cheaper than building of 100% division.
That is, it is necessary to take into account all many difficult nuances, such as that "repairing" of Unit is cheaper than "building", cheating free mobilization system in vanilla DH, etc.

Also organization of such reduced division should also be somewhat automatically and proportionally lower than of a full-fledged division. (the number of Organization should be directly proportional to the number of fighters in the regiments. Obviously, 9000 (4500 + 4500) fighters must withstand a battle with the enemy twice as long as only 4500 fighters, i.e. 4500 fighters must have 40%-50% organization less than 9000 fighters (that is, two semi-units should be equivalent in the sum of their hard/soft Attack and Organization to a full unit. The mechanics of the game reduce the Attack proportionally to HP, but does not reduce the Organization proportionally to HP, so additional mechanics changes are needed here, if we want to introduce low-HP units.)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: