• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is the final patch (I mean that one which had a popular voting thread) still being developed? How is it going, @MichaelM ?
I don't really want to impose or pressure anybody, I know that you are the only developer left so it must be a tough work. Just asking though :p

Is the final patch (I mean that one which had a popular voting thread) still being developed? How is it going, @MichaelM ?
I don't really want to impose or pressure anybody, I know that you are the only developer left so it must be a tough work. Just asking though :p
There is non-zero progress since December, hopefully another beta soon. But I have to admit that seeing how few people remain has made me rethink how much time I was planning to spend on FTG.

Bless your heart kind sir, bless your heart.

There is non-zero progress since December, hopefully another beta soon. But I have to admit that seeing how few people remain has made me rethink how much time I was planning to spend on FTG.

Please don't forget to add "Monthly troop maintenance / troop cost" to defines.txt
according to this thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-change-some-things.1089594/
I'll be glad if you can also add option to avoid city sprites change on the map when we build next lvl of fort and when pop in prov grow up (4999-5k, 9999-10k etc.).
BTW: editable cost (via defines.txt) for "sending missionary" will be also good idea.

Last edited:
Another fan that waited patiently for the beta and hoping for still more to come. Thank you for all that you're doing to keep improving what I consider the best strategy game ever.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
Maybe you can release a final 1.3 patch for the remaining players with several bug fix if you do not have enough time to work on this project. At least get 1.3 out of the BETA condition:)

In my current game as England using the 2017 1.3 beta patch I noticed that the name of the ottoman Sultan is
Meh.med
and when then looking up the turkish monarch file ALL Mehmed´s are Meh.med, Mah.mud, Abdül-H.amîd and even Ahmed is Ah.med and the best I saw is Mus.t.afâ I having two points in his name.
Is that the result of some weird search&replace bug?
The last change of the file is listed as
"Sonntag, 20. September 2009, 23:33:58" in the files settings

Edit: I took a look at the 2017 patches zipped files and that did not contain the file monarchs_tur.txt at all and the 2013 Decembre, 29th patch did not either. So either the ottoman monarchs are pointy for a longer time already or I somehow screwed up my games installation.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-2_13-2-40.png
    upload_2018-11-2_13-2-40.png
    441,9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
In my current game as England using the 2017 1.3 beta patch I noticed that the name of the ottoman Sultan is
Meh.med
and when then looking up the turkish monarch file ALL Mehmed´s are Meh.med, Mah.mud, Abdül-H.amîd and even Ahmed is Ah.med and the best I saw is Mus.t.afâ I having two points in his name.
Is that the result of some weird search&replace bug?
The last change of the file is listed as
"Sonntag, 20. September 2009, 23:33:58" in the files settings

Edit: I took a look at the 2017 patches zipped files and that did not contain the file monarchs_tur.txt at all and the 2013 Decembre, 29th patch did not either. So either the ottoman monarchs are pointy for a longer time already or I somehow screwed up my games installation.
That's how they appear in my version of the monarchs file. The Turkish monarchs haven't changed in a very long time. If FTG changed them at all, it happened before we began using source control for the game files, long before release.

That's how they appear in my version of the monarchs file. The Turkish monarchs haven't changed in a very long time. If FTG changed them at all, it happened before we began using source control for the game files, long before release.

You´re right. I just checked the files of my old EU2 1.09 installation and there the turkish/ottoman monarchs are beset by points already too. Do those points have any useful meaning? Are they supposed to appear within the game in the names? And why do only the turkish/ottomans have those? KARamans Mustafa or Mahmud do not have points in their names.

Edit: I just looked at the monarchs file for mods and "Age of Timur" does have the same Ah.med etc. names but other mods (e.g. AGCEEP) do not.

Last edited:
Here's a complete conjecture: When transliterating from Arabic (not Turkish, but maybe it's the same?) to English, one of the traditions/rules/whatever is to write an h with a dot underneath to represent a sound that's similar, but not identical, to the English h. Maybe it's that same sound (and letter, because Ottoman Turkish used the Arabic script)?

EDIT: Example from the wiki article on Mehmed II
‎محمد , Meḥmed

The letter in question is the second one from the right

Last edited:
Here's a complete conjecture: When transliterating from Arabic (not Turkish, but maybe it's the same?) to English, one of the traditions/rules/whatever is to write an h with a dot underneath to represent a sound that's similar, but not identical, to the English h. Maybe it's that same sound (and letter, because Ottoman Turkish used the Arabic script)?

EDIT: Example from the wiki article on Mehmed II
‎محمد , Meḥmed

The letter in question is the second one from the right

If that is a thing in english then why
- is that . between characters and not part of the character as a special sign like in your WIKI example or an accent like á?
- is that only for the ottoman turkish the case but not for the other turkish beyliks e.g. Karaman?
- is that not only for the h but in case of Mustafa for the t as in Mus.t.afâ?
- if that really is, like the WIKI article says, the way the ottoman turkish name would be written then why do we use it? I thought FtG uses only latin alphabets?

If that is a thing in english then why
- is that . between characters and not part of the character as a special sign like in your WIKI example or an accent like á?
- is that only for the ottoman turkish the case but not for the other turkish beyliks e.g. Karaman?
- is that not only for the h but in case of Mustafa for the t as in Mus.t.afâ?
- if that really is, like the WIKI article says, the way the ottoman turkish name would be written then why do we use it? I thought FtG uses only latin alphabets?

I can only answer the third question: The same dot is also used to represent the letter ط (below the t) which whose relation with the sound of t is similar to that of ḥ and h

I think I speak for others too when I say that I still enjoy the game very much. Is it maybe possible to just realese what is currently done for the final realese or is it still too unfinished or bugged? Either way, thanks for having actually updated this game so long.

Thanks very much for your work on an old title with a small but dedicated following. I only found FtG fairly recently, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far! Finding that it was still receiving bugfixes was incredible to see!

I have a question which may be obvious to some - are saves compatible between v1.2 and v1.3?

I'm in the middle of a game, and would love to try out v1.3. I've installed a second copy and patched it to v1.3, but when my v1.2 save loads I get a litany of errors about the "anglosaxon" culture not being found. I can ignore all of these critical errors, however, and the game loads fine. I'm playing as England, and all the "anglosaxon" provinces show as "english" (as per the Changelog states it should). Saving the game after loading, and reloading that save, results in no errors.

Ultimately I'm just wondering if continuous this game in v1.3 is likely to end in tears...