• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ehi! don't forget my last chronology!

Chronology: 1700-1819, the "long century"
1700 --- Carlos II Hapsburg dies: Pedro II designates Felipe of Bourbon as new King of Spain. European tensions against France result in a series of conflicts against Louis XIV. In 1704 the Danes occupy Rome and take the Pope imprisoned

1706 --- Joao V succeeds his father Pedro II as King of Portugal

1705-17 --- The great leap through Pacific Ocean: Sampaio's expedition to Hawaii is the beginning of the colonisation of California

1715 --- Joao V outlaws the reactionary Order of Obscurantites. Time has come for the final fight between Repression and Freedom, Past and Future. Embryos of political parties emerge for the first time

1722-28 --- Civil war erupts! Recovery from disorders and seditions takes almost six long years and a profusion of battles

1733 --- The (supposed) dawn of Industrialisation: Joao V institutes Governatorates for an enhanced administration of an immense Empire and multiplies royal trading monopolies

1738-42 --- War against Palembang: Sultan Badarruddin's arrogance is punished halving his possessions in the island of Sumatra

1743-44 --- Joao V liberates Rome from Netherlands and restores the authority of the Pope over the Holy See. Four years later, with a Bull Benedictus XIV proclaims him "the Most Faithful King"

1748 --- A naval equipment manufactory that resembles the ancient "Prince Enrique's School of Navigation" is established in Riau

1750 --- Jose I succeeds his father. He endorses full powers to the Marquis de Pombal, who practically reigns over the Empire until his death in 1782, running an overall reformation of society, economy and culture

1755-1765 --- Catastrophe hits Lisbon: an earthquake followed by floods and fires claims 30.000 souls. The energetic Marquis de Pombal directs the reconstruction of the city, which ten years after the disaster has even its Fine Arts Academy

1759 --- Revolution and collapse of the Kingdom of France: Britanny, Provence, Koln and Palatinate become independent countries

1756-64 --- As a reaction to the annexation of Modena, Jose I attacks Sweden and allies. This first war brings minor territorial changes: Denmark gives up the centre of trade in Mosquito to the Portuguese Empire

1769-72 --- Rosas explores Amazon rainforest and visits Inca Empire

1777 --- After King Jose's death, Mary is the first Queen of Portugal. She retains Pombal's precious service until his death in 1782

1779-83 --- Second war against Nordic powers: Denmark is forced to abandon a post in Everglades, after the occupation of Oslo (1780) and Stockholm (1782) Gustaf III of Sweden leaves his grip over Norway, which becomes for a while a Portuguese protectorate under Sigurd VII

1789-93 --- Portuguese imperialism strikes Morocco, which is reduced to a protectorate in four years

1795 --- Incorporation of San Francis S.A. the industrial winery in Oporto

1799 --- Provence accepts the rule of the Portuguese Empire and pledges allegiance to Queen Maria. In the same year Joao VI becomes Regent

1803-19 --- "Industrial rush": new manufactories are opened in Algarve (Portugal), Para and Minas Geiras (Brazil), Roanoke (North America)

1804 --- Treaty of Sofia: Ottoman Empire yields almost all his territories in Europe to a triumphant Austria, a huge Empire emerges in the central-eastern Europe

1810-12 --- In reaction to Russian aggressiveness in Central Asia, the campaign of Russia is launched. Brilliantly conducted by Field Marshal De Andrade, it ends with the SUBJUGATION OF RUSSIA

1812-16 --- Liberal movement spreads all over the country; with the peaceful revolution (January – March 1816) and the approval of a Constitution, Joao VI officially becomes King of Portugal

1817 --- Incorporation of "Martin de Sousa Cigarettes Manufactory S.A." in Nova Lagos

Best characters
Best King: Pedro II (vassalisation of Spain, economic reforms, stability)
General: De Andrade (vassalisation of Russia, liberalism)
Conquistador: Afonso de Albuquerque (exploration and conquest of Indian Ocean)
Explorer: De Queros (first trip around the World)
Administrator: Marquis de Pombal

Final screenie
Green is Portugal and colonies, orange borders are used for vassals (Spain, Russia, Morocco, Egypt and others). Scroll right the picture (perhaps too big?)to see Europe and Asia. Please note a "big fat Gujarat" (or Rajput?)

1819world0le.jpg

Sirs, thanks for your kind support to this AAR! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. For any question, comment, feedback, here I am

Last edited:
Alright Hastu,

Congratulations and thankyou very much for sharing it with us.

You have to tell me what program you use for your balls graph. The best representation of national power that I have seen.

Thank you for this beautiful masterpiece.
I don't follow many AARs (mainly because day has only 24 hours...) but this one was definitely worth it :)

kudos Hastu

Fodoron, Deus, Van Engel, Lord Ederon: thanks. For the "Nations' power graph" I simply use a MS Excel bubble graph. This isn't the right place, but I'm just considering my next steps.

It will be a completely different project, but it's postponed for some months, until I finish to write a small (paper)book about "historical/gastronomical curiosities": things like "How tea arrived in London through a Portuguese princess (Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II)?" or "Is it true that coffee and coffee houses arrived in Wien through the besieging Ottoman Turks?"...

Last edited:
Ok, I joked you, that one wasn't the end!

1B6.jpeg

Epilogue: "A century quickly flies…"

One hundred years have passed and a man fallen asleep in 1819 and awaken now wouldn't recognise nothing of his own life; Industrialisation and Ideology have completely redesigned the world bringing railroads, telegraphs, democracy but also chemical weapons, imperialism and totalitarism. World map has been reshaped by colonialism and nationalistic wars and two great alliances cruelly face each other during a 1919, which promises to be the last happy year before the storm.

Empire of Portugal is still there, leader of all other nations. But changes have touched it as many other countries. It is no more a Kingdom: democracy brought general suffrage and thus a referendum in 1910 sanctioned the end of the House of Braganca and the institution of a Republic. Industrialisation was born here and here has produced the very first social effects: family, education, religion, work organisation, leisure and urbanity have been completely modified by these new ways of production. Old concepts like nobility, royal monopolies, colonisation, missionaries fade and leave room to emerging ones like entrepreneurship, mass parties, consumption and neo-colonialism.

Great developments and dramatic defections have not skipped: immense lands in Africa have been colonised when vaccines against malaria and other tropical disease have become quite common. But only 30 years ago the most beloved and industrialised colony, Brazil, pursued a policy of self-government and declared itself an independent Republic. Notwithstanding its formal membership to the "Portuguese Union" (the term that now designates the Empire) together with other Dominions – North America & California, La Plata, Australia, etc. – the Republic of Brazil is gaining ground in many industries and sciences and sometimes directly competes with the former mainland with its own "geopolitics". La Plata, Caribbean and West African citizens occasionally seem to get a better feeling with Brazilians rather than their leaders in Lisbon…

European maps have changed as well: the Hapsburgs have renounced to the old-fashioned title of Roman Emperors and now they are only Emperors of Austria. Anyway, Austrian Empire is a big reactionary country, which has recently started to develop a strong industrial basis. Despite being cut off the colonial race, in the last century Austria managed to expand its influence over Southern Italy (supported during its war of independence from Aragon) and Northern German and now is targeting Poland.

The Kingdom of Scandinavia results from the dynastic union of Sweden and Denmark, sanctioned in 1863. It has extended its possessions in North America and is set to become an alarming industrial and naval competitor, characterized by a significant demographic boom and more open-minded leaders.

The Kingdom of Netherlands, despite the loss of a big part of its colonies after the "Five Years War" (1830-1835) against Portugal and Spain, has rebuilt a considerable colonial empire, comprising regions of North America, Caribbean Sea, Guyana and Chile.

The Kingdom of Spain, the long-established and loyal vassal of the Portuguese Union, has pursued a modest policy of economic and social modernisation. Some industrialisation has occurred in the mainland, whereas the North American pampas have remained a traditional farming powerhouse.

The Czardom of Russia, which has gradually and reluctantly recognized the Portuguese supremacy after the terrible defeat of 1812, has not shown many signs of modernisation (slavery was abolished only in 1861) but has terribly grown in size with the gradual russification of the Siberian steppes.

Finally, France, United Kingdom, Poland are the second ranking powers, sizeable but less strong than the other countries combined into the Pact of Lisbon (Portugal, Spain, Russia) and the Central League (Austria, Scandinavia, Netherlands).

In 1919 the tension among these coalitions comes to a climax. Naval rearm opposes Portugal to Netherlands; border disputes in Americas oppose Spain to Netherlands and Scandinavia; control over Poland opposes Austria to Russia. After the ultimatum sent by the Austrian Empire to Poland for the cession of Krakow (ending on 1° October 1919), these two coalitions are very close to the Great War…

world19190fv.jpg

Now, this is THE END. See you at the next AAR!

Last edited:
Ha ha, cool.
But your extrapolation is ignoring that someone blue colonized Siberia and Kamchatka, probably Sweden. England did awful.

Thanks and see you there ;)

Cool!!!1 I've never seen an extrapolation before for an AAR, totally original and totally gonna be copied for my next AAR. :D

*applauding*