• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
PhilipIIISpain.jpg

King Felipe II (III of Spain)

Chapter 21: "Italic Wars I & II and Felipe II's bad government" (1599-1618)

A flashback of Portuguese-Italian relations:
Historians denote with the term of Italic Wars a long period of warfare covering about thirty years, with sometimes cold and – more often – hot conflicts among Portugal and allies against the Savoyard King of Italy, Charles Emmanuel I and then his successors. The relationship between the House of Avis and the first Royal House of Italy, the Milanese Viscontis, had always been friendly. In the following decades, however, some misunderstandings happened with the new Royal House of Savoy, that deposed the Viscontis during the crisis following the terrible Italian defeat against the Republic of Venice in the mid of 1530s. At the times of the last King of the House of Avis, Henrique o Cardeal-Rei, the old alliance among Portugal and Italy had already ended. The situation irremediably worsened after the aggression of Charles Emmanuel I – supported by his fellow allies, the Knights and the Tyrolese – against the Pope. In August 1594, an aging Felipe I (supported by Aragon, Netherlands and Cyprus) declared war upon Italy to defend the honour and life of the Pope, and thus started the First Italic War. The first war lasted until Felipe I's death in 1498 with alternate fortunes: the first part of the conflict was favourable to the Portuguese army, which managed to capture both Bologna and Milan in 1595. The problem was the long distance from Lisbon, which stretched the re-supply lines for Felipe I's soldiers, facilitating a quick rebound of the Italians, heavily supported by the strong Tyrolese infantry. By 1597, all the provinces were lost again to the enemy and nothing changed until the ascension to the throne of
Felipe II.
The new King immediately faces a big challenge and decides to accelerate the events: in March 1599, during the siege of Milan, Italian capital, he looks the chance of concluding a rapid victory and orders to assault the city. Just when the encircled garrison his falling (9 valiant soldiers left), a Tyrolese army arrives in Lombardia and breaks the siege. After few other months of ineffective battles, on 18 July 1599 Felipe II, sick and tired for the evolution of the campaign, offers a peace treaty to Charles Emmanuel I, taking Florence and giving the Italian city to Ferdinando I Medici, the heir of the ancient ruling dynasty of the glorious Medieval lordship, establishing a Portuguese vassal in the peninsula. Felipe II wrongly supposes that the Italian situation is going to become quiet with such arrangement: actually, after exactly 13 months Charles Emmanuel I claims again the possession of Florence and attacks Ferdinand I. Aragon, Netherlands and Cyprus immediately back the city against the expansionism of the King of Italy (allied again with the Duke of Tyrol and the Knights), whereas for five long days Felipe II has to face the increasing hostility of the Portuguese to another bloody and hard conflict in the Mediterranean. Only on 21 August 1600 an envoy of the King leaves for Florence – among the protests of the people of Lisbon – making official the support of Portugal to its Italian vassal. This conflict is quick but costs a lot to the Kingdom, as it will be clear after a short disclosure of the effects on domestic policy of the bad Hapsburg government.

The breakage of the truce against Charles Emmanuel I would cause a rapid loss of stability in the Kingdom. King Felipe II takes advantage of such evolution increasing the centralisation of the government decisions in his hands and begins to ignore the promise his father made to the Portuguese in 1580: he feeds up the six members Government Council of Lisbon with loyal Spaniards, reduces local autonomies and launches in February 1601 one of the biggest recruitments in the recent history of the nation: 10.000 youngmen, for a total cost of over 200 ducats. Spanish influence, heavy conscriptions, a quick succession of wars and the reduction of local autonomies will slowly make the Portuguese detest Felipe II. The signs of disaffection begin to come into sight in the early years of the new century. A local Muslim nationalists' revolt in the gold producing province of Jennè spreads to Senegal and the rest of the West African Dominion, which will be again under control of the regular army only in 1601. Riots are spreading also among the quick-tempered North American colonists, who in the future will prove to be the toughest ones, and among the Chinese and African communities in Macao and Mombasa. For the first time in the colonial history of Portugal, a regular army need to be sent from the mainland to calm down the insurgents during the "Slaves revolt" in 1608.

The instability of the early '600s, until the final deposition of the House of Hapsburg, is also one of the principal causes of a general deterioration of Portuguese economy: science and technology do not improve as in other European countries, also because of the opposition of the King (in April 1614 I will order to execute few artisans, members of a local guild, "guilty" of showing in public their unhappiness with the restrictive economic reforms of Felipe II), merchants stop voyaging around the world to bring everywhere their products limiting their activity to the friendly marketplaces in Lisbon and Indian Ocean, and ships and regiments start lagging behind the most developed ones in Europe. Only in 1617 Felipe II shows the first sign of goodwill towards all his subjects reducing the strict control over their lives; twice he accepts the request of recovery of former aristocratic rights, showing his last confused attempt to play one class (the magnates) against the other (the ordinary people), which will definitively fail under his son Felipe III's reign. Still, Portugal is one of the world largest producers, enjoying leading positions in lots of activities, as shown in the table below:

Goods.jpg

The bad evolution of Portuguese armies and generals is under the eyes of everyone when in 1601 the newly trained expeditionary force reaches Florence to clash the Italian and Tyrolese armies: outnumbered and badly guided, it loses half of its men against 21.000 enemies. Only a rapid payment of 45 ducats by the Granduke Ferdinand of Tuscany saves the Portuguese protectorate from a quick annexation to Italy. A similar situation occurs during the unimportant Second Italic War, fought during the period 1611-1614 by the same alliances and ended with Tuscany giving military access to the Kingdom of Italy plus a tribute of 195 ducats, together with the allies Portugal, Netherlands and Cyprus. In the meantime, France regains its rightful status among European powers after the national reconciliation following the end of the Religion Wars. In 1606 Henry IV accepts the conversion to Catholicism and become the only legitimate King of France, thus resolving the civil war with Huguenots and Catholic League. As a response to the weakening French support to the cause of Counter-Reformation, Spaniards become the leader ultra-catholic European power, adhering to all the dogmas of the Council of Trento.

1606.jpg

A few comments, questions

I'm at about the same point in my scenario right now as you are, and this is when I guess it gets tough..no more explorers or conquistadors..or very few. Something that's happened to me I've found interesting is how the Treaty of Tordesillas affects things.

I created a few trading posts and colonies in parts of south and north america that were in the spanish zone. The spanish simply marched in and took over the trading posts. Then they actually attacked an army of mine in Uruguay, which I couldn't understand since no state of war existed. But apparently they can capture any province in their zone of influence, without having to declare war. But each time they do it, I receive a casus belli against them for a few years.

And thanks to that - I fought a couple wars against spain, which have resulted in me taking Leon, Estramadura and Granada from them. (Andalusia had already defected to me due to a revolt.) I've kept Aragon as an ally - and used them to squeeze Spain. And now I've added Austria and France to the alliance. My goal here has been to see if it's possible to eclipse spain and unify Iberia under a Portuguese king.

Have you noticed that your vassals will actually fight wars against one another? I had force vassalized both Algiers and Tunisia. Then I just happened to notice that they are fighting a war against one another! Apparently vassalage is strictly an economic arrangement, and you have no say in what your vassals do from a foreign policy viewpoint?

I've really enjoyed reading your AAR - very intersting how someone else has handled trying to make Lisbon the most important city in the world.

First of all, welcome to the fora! some observations from my GC:

- If I recall correctly, Uruguay is actually a Treaty of Tordesillas "zone" for both Spain and Portugal, even if it has a Portuguese shield. So they'll attack you there. I have had some problems with those evil Spaniards during '600s but I don't want to anticipate the results ;)

- Vassals give you half of their income taxes (be careful, not trade revenues and other proceeds, only income taxes) and with the most recent patches some manpower. The good think is that they cannot join alliances if not yours, so you know they won't never support your enemies (even if some scripted events create alliances for vassals too and must be carefully handled). Oh, it's quite simple to invite vassals in your alliance (it's enough a relation +0 or more) and your "relation score" will grow faster/decrease slower

Van Engel said:
Looking good. :) How much manpower do you have? I always have problems with it.

A fantastic 20/21 MP. The choice of avoiding "non culture" annexations doesn't help me. And regretfully Cape Verde, Azores and "ancient" colonies don't contribute a single point. BTW, the lack of MP has not been a terrible lack for now

Weaponry manus might help MP problem. Or am I wrong?

Just after WoW's award!

Felipe4SP.jpg

King Felipe III (IV of Spain)

Chapter 22: "Felipe III, the Usurper" (1619-1622)

Felipe II's last years have a long list of problems and priorities. In 1619 the convoluted relations between him and his vassal Cosimo II Medici, the current Granduke of Tuscany, entangle again an exasperated nation into the Third – and last – Italic War against the expansionistic intention of the old archenemy Charles Emmanuel I of Italy. The trustworthy allies Alfons VII of Aragon, the Dutch of Maurice of Nassau and the Cypriot Council of Government support again – but with even less enthusiasm – Felipe II and the Medicis. Soon the Cypriots would leave the conflict after the fall of the Council of Government during the Spring insurgencies against the conscription. In the early phase of the war, an army strong of over 30.000 Italians repeatedly tries to take the Granduchy by force, until the landing of 11.000 Portuguese slow their advance and finally stop them in the nasty battle of Florence, fought on 27 June 1619. But few days after the same victorious Portuguese soldiers cannot do anything against a successive assault of Tyrolese infantry. Over 3.000 men remain upon the battlefield, among them an heirless noble, the count of Flores – the biggest Portuguese possession in East Indies – whose last will is leaving his rich feud to the Crown. The navy providentially save the surrenders embarking them aboard. In October 1619 they are ready to repel again the enemies from Florence after their latest failed assault against the good defences of the city has undermined their morale. In May 1520 the allied front loses a valiant supporter when Alfons VII abandons the fight after the fall of Messina in the hands of the Knights, paying a tribute of over 100 ducats for the recovery of the Sicilian town. During the Winter 1621 Colonel Setubal and few thousands of men continue to defend Florence against over 50.000 Italian, Tyrolese and Knights, when Felipe II's health begins to fade. He dies in the night of 1st April 1621.

1672.jpg

Third Italic War's importance is rapidly outshined by the shocking events that hit the stability of the nation in the first months of Felipe III's reign (also Felipe II, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain). Just before his father's death, in his power of Viceroy of the Spanish America, Felipe has shown scarce interest in the good of his own Portuguese subjects. In fact, he has imposed a stringent trade restriction against the Portuguese merchants that were threatening the Spanish prominence in the rich centre of trade in Panama. This unfavourable edict has had a negative impact over national income and popular food purchasing power, but Felipe III does not show any mercy against the Portuguese people. Just after his ascension to the throne, Felipe III radically alters the traditional balance of power among Portuguese and Spanish members inside the Government Council and publicly drops the promise "One King, Two Kingdoms" of his grandfather Felipe I, aiming to a complete unification between his possessions. The consequences of this attempt are really concerning: Felipe III leaves the alliance with Netherlands, Aragon, Cyprus and Tuscany, breaks the dynastic linkages with the House of Aragon and Cyprus, but few days after his vain coup the general disappointment of all classes convinces him to partially restore the Portuguese autonomy and to forsake a reunification of the two Crowns. On 29 April 1621 he passes another discouraging edict which imposes to the whole Empire an embargo against Dutch free trade – previously enhanced by a trade agreement signed in 1607 – drastically deteriorating the relations with those loyal former allies and amplifying the already mercantilist Portuguese trade regime.

The Portuguese prestige is so low that Ferdinand II Medici (Cosimo's successor, now leader of the alliance after Felipe III's withdrawal) refuses for a while to admit again Portugal in the coalition. In these confused months every menace becomes a lethal danger: an unguided garrison stationing in Tangiers repels an attack coming from the Knights and burns the navy that transported the enemies so far from their base in Malta. In December 1621 the Council Government, the only authority that the people starts to recognise as the only legitimate power, sends other 5.000 men to guard Florence, ignoring that in few months they will be call back to defend Lisbon.

The Four Months' War, a death match among Crown and Nation​
On 6 March 1622 the ambassadors of Aragon, Tuscany, Cyprus, Netherlands and Portugal hand to the ones of Genoa and Spain a declaration of war. A secondary dispute between Aragon and Genoa over maritime questions sparks a deadly war in Iberia and the New World. The Government Council in Lisbon, even if composed by few Spanish members, take upon itself the authority to guide the war against the royalists. On 7 March 1622 the Council launches a general conscription for 17.000 men dedicated to protect the homeland against the bigger Spanish army and sends its strategic directives to the colonial armed groups: actually, this is the first time that a European war is fought overseas and the Portuguese colonists in the Caribbean Sea and Brazil will play a fundamental role in the skirmishes against Spain. The garrisons in Belém, Nova Sagres (Bahamas) and the rest of Portuguese North America embark on quick vessel to attack the nearest Spanish ports, even if the presence of privateers complicate even more the operations in those unfriendly waters.

1622a.jpg

In Europe, the main navy engages Genoese ships in the Ligurian Sea but has to withdraw before a complete defeat. The naval setback is balanced by a good news when Pope Gregorius XV decides to join the alliance in the war against Spain and Genoa and also in the forgotten Third Italic War. In May 1622 the home army is ready in Lisbon and is ordered to advance into Spanish territories of Estremadura and Andalusia. An balanced situation in Europe is not replicated in America. On 23 May 1622 the Bahaman soldiers capture the Spanish trading post in Guantanamo, in the East side of Cuba and in June the Brazilian expeditionary force takes both the town of Maracaibo and the gold mines in Yarumal. Despite the complex international situation, the Council needs to pay attention to domestic security: stability is at a minimum level and any episode of mismanagement is quickly resolved: a case of corruption in supply of weapons is eradicated in these months at an high cost that require a new loan to be fully paid.

But also the enemies are in disorder. Italy loses control over Albania in 1622 and is now reduced to only few Northern provinces in the peninsula. A naval defeat in the Straits of Gibraltar is balanced by the capture on Cartagena (July 1622), showing that the conflict in America is much more important than in Europe. Finally on 6 September 1622 the Portuguese soldiers take the centre of trade in Panama, convincing King Felipe and the royalists to seat on the peace table. Isthmus, Cartagena, Maracaibo on the continent, Guantanamo on the island of Cuba are given to the Kingdom of Portugal, whereas Antigua goes to Aragon. Few days after the last Spanish troops in Panama retake the centre of trade invoking the Treaty of Tordesillas, but the result of the Four Months' War is clear: none, even a King, will never contest the Portuguese autonomy!

Manpower

When I'd played Portugal on EU I, manpower was always a problem. I think the only way around it is continential expansion. As of the year 1700, mine is now at 54. That's mostly because of holding Leon, Estramadura, Andalusia and Granada. And suprisingly, Spain hasn't attacked me in about 70 years.

One thing I don't understand is why the colonies never develop manpower. When you have a colony that reaches 10000 people in population, as a couple have, why don't they ever add manpower to the nation? That's one aspect of the game I find to be a little at odds with historical realities.

Top Cat: I'm not sure, probably colonies don't add MP because they are not in the same continent or haven't land connection.

A consistent and well-researched semi-alternate history with an appealing layout. One of the best AARs I've ever read. Keep it coming, Hastu! :)

Chapter 23: "Unfortunately, leadership is not heritable" (1623-1631)

The fight against the Spanish royalists has moved away forces from the vital strongholds in Asia. Both Macao and Calcutta rebel against the central authority in 1623, forcing the local garrisons to surrender. In August 1623 Third Italic War finally ends with no substantial territorial changes and a tribute of 90 ducats (paid by the Granduke of Tuscany to the King of Italy) that has finally exhausted an already impoverished region. After the restoration through royal marriages of the dynastic linkages with Aragon and Cyprus – broken by Felipe III as a result of his 1621 failed coup – the allegiance of the best friends in Aragon, Tuscany, Cyprus and Albania (which is not an ally, but fully recognises the indirect Portuguese aid for its independence from Italy) is not disputable. Nevertheless, an unanticipated event breaks forever the alliance which Portugal belongs to: in May 1625 the rebel Basque communities in Navarra unite and declare their independence from King Alfons VII of Aragon: only Portugal and, after a while, the Pope and the Scottish vassals of Aragon join the war against the Navarrese insurgents. In contrast, the Dutch Republic, which has recently become quite distant from its "Latin" allies, dishonours an alliance that dates back since the first years of its independence from Spain. Aragonese army sent to recapture Navarra seems unable to retake Iruna. Pedro Teixeira, Governor of Brazil (an overview of his activity in the Dominion will follow in the next posts), the only available leader for a military campaign, receives directly from King Felipe III the order to reach the Aragonese army with a small regiment of Portuguese soldiers. On 4 September 1627 Teixeira takes over Iruna and obtains the formal acknowledgement of the Portuguese control over Navarra, along with a tribute of 150 ducats.

2533.jpg

In the meantime, after few years of respite, unrest against Felipe III policies is regenerating despite some good economic achievements. For example, in 1626 the King charters the "Hong Kong Monopoly Company" for the purpose of trading in the newly acquired Chinese territory, with a cash-in of 150 ducats. Indeed, the freedom loving rebels in Kowloon have just defected from China and joined Macao under the protective Portuguese control. Hong Kong, the most important city of the acquired region is a thriving area for chinaware production inhabited by 137.000 Han natives, definitely the biggest population in the whole Empire. But in the deteriorated mood toward the King, every move is seen suspiciously. His efforts to acknowledge popular petitions for redress, clash officials' corruption and increase centralisation, despite their good intentions, contribute to increase again instability. Even more disturbing for the Portuguese results Felipe III's acquiescence to Spanish raiders who recapture Cartagena in 1628 and Maracaibo in 1632 (the provinces gained after the 1622 Four Months' War), claiming the ancient Treaty of Tordesillas notwithstanding the resilience of the Portuguese colonists who have established there. Ironically in Africa, a less problematic area, fortifications have been improved both in Ivoria and Nembire.

2845.jpg

The third decade of the century – the last of the Hapsburgs – opens in Europe with a great turmoil: Venice annexes the old vassal of Bremen with its French possessions, whereas a rejuvenated Kingdom of France under Henry IV' son, Louis XIII, reacquires from a collapsing England the territories in the North plus two provinces in Great Britain, Wessex and Bristol. In 1630, completely alienated from the humours of the nation, Felipe III does not find nothing better than declaring an anachronistic Crusade against Sultan Ahmed Ibn Zaydan of Morocco and his ally Tlemcen. Despite the nominal support from Pope Urbano VIII, Scotland, Aragon, the war against two revived Muslim Sultanates waged with a disheartened nation will prove hard: in a quick run of raids, Moroccan troops take and burn the salt-rich post in Mdenna, capture Tangiers and destroy almost half of the home fleet. All in less than twelve months. The miserable remnants of an army strong of 16.000 men – once protecting Tangiers - has to be displaced to Lisbon after the fall of the citadel among the general desolation of the citizens, astounded by such incredible defeat. In April 1631 also the post in Tassaret, the very first Portuguese overseas possession in the early '400s, is destroyed and rebuilt only with the proceeds of an international loan. It is Sweden, which has lately joined the Crusade, to save Portugal from an ignominious defeat taking Sahara and convincing the enemies to accept in 1631 a tribute of 50 ducats. But the mark stays there: an humiliated army, an halved home fleet, an injured province and a lost trading post, in less than a couple of years.

flag12.jpg

New royal flag after the revolution (1640)

Chapter 24: "A mounting revolution" (1632-1640)

The last chapter of Felipe III's reign is a series of compulsive international actions, with the logical consequence of a popular revolution against this ineffectual King: in April 1632 Aragon attacks England and Felipe III dishonours the alliance with Aragon, Papal States, Sweden and Venice fearing a global conflict against England, Russia, Cyprus and Croatia. Instead of a huge network of international alliances, Portugal finds itself as leader of a small regional coalition with its two protectorates Tuscany and Navarra. An exemplification of King Felipe III's vain diplomacy is the colonial war against Denmark and Netherlands. On 20 December 1632 his envoy hands the declaration of war for the annexation of the Ducky of Pommern by Denmark. Beyond this clearly futile casus belli there is actually the interest for few Danish colonies in Equatorial Africa, the only ones out of the Portuguese range. Eventually the conflict will widen into the Caribbean Sea due to the presence of Dutch and Danish colonies next to the Portuguese and heavily involve the Brazilian and North American colonial regiments.

2749.jpg

Military manoeuvres begin in Winter 1633 with the successful invasions of the undefended Danish possessions in Everglades (North America), Mayumba and Lobito (Equatorial Africa). Dutch colonies prove to be a tougher bone: Caribbean Islands are too deep-rooted and garrisoned to be attacked by few thousands armed colonists, while Guyana defences are less structured. Maroni and Cuyuni are quickly occupied by the troops of the valiant Brazilian Governor Pedro Teixeira, who unfortunately dies during the Battle of Paranamaribo. However, the Brazilian soldiers manage to enter the capital of Dutch Guyana on 2 May 1633. Another small group of Portuguese take Danish Connecticut in August. Clearly, the war is not all "roses and flowers": particularly under pressure are the trading posts in West Indies where Dutch militia burn Tortuga (lately in 1633 rebuilt), Curacao, Barahona and Puerto Rico (rebuilt in 1635 but soon after taken by the Spaniards under the rules of the Treaty of Tordesillas). It is Equatorial Africa campaign to bounce back the destiny of the colonial war: the Portuguese armed groups from Austral Africa take the last Danish stronghold in Zaire and find time for settling a post in Cabinda. When the Danes refuse to give up the colonies in Zaire and Lobito and burn the Portuguese post in Ovambo, Felipe III orders them to retaliate destroying the Danish one in Mayumba and rebuilding it. After a calm Winter, the skirmishes resume in Spring 1634: Portuguese ships win a naval battle in the Coast of Angola capturing valuable maps from the Danish vessels, but – again – the enemies recoup some ground: after their successful occupation of Nova Beja (Chesapeake), time has come for an agreement: on Christmas Day 1634 Felipe III of Portugal and Christian IV of Denmark meet in Copenhagen and settle the war with the cession to Portugal of Fredericsborg, a colony inhabited by 600 Scandinavians in the province of Lobito.

The outcome of the war upsets the people: two and half years of battles, hundreds of casualties and a cluster of rich Caribbean trading posts lost for a colony! A meteor sighting in the years of war seems to foresee the advent of the revolution against Felipe III, now irremediably hated by everyone. In August 1637 he makes large concessions to a number of Spanish magnates and the first revolts break out. The Portuguese find their own national pretender to the throne in the person of Joao, Duke of Braganca, whose family is a secondary line of the extinct House of Avis. The last three years records the mounting of the revolution: in a desperate attempt to restore his control over the society, Felipe III orders to imprison some patriotic intellectuals and institutes a strict censorship over the country. He completely ignores the emerging problems for such a huge Empire, as an overly stretched bureaucracy and the incessant insurgencies in Calcutta which are halting the activities in the biggest Portuguese centre of trade. After three years of planning, Joao and his supporters come out in December 1640. Lisbon is rapidly conquered and ready for the crowning of Joao IV. Since 16 December 1640 a new ruling dynasty reigns over Portugal, the House of Braganca.

Tree1.jpg

Family trees of Portuguese Royal Houses (Kings in bold font)​

At the end of the second ruling dynasty, a brief overview of Portuguese alliances over 220 years might be useful:

• 1419-1492: "Iberian period" initially with both Castile and Aragon against the Muslim Sultanates, then with Castile alone (against Aragon) and finally with Aragon (against Castile/Spain)
  • 1495-1568: "Italian period", a faithful linkage to the Kingdom of Italy with the inclusion of minor allies (Papal States, Bavaria, Tyrol, then Cyprus), an alliance mainly directed against Spain, Italian Maritime Republics (Genoa, Venice), Ottoman Empire and Egypt
  • 1571-1630: "Dutch/Aragonese period": a previous alliance with Cyprus extended to Netherlands and Aragon against Spanish and then Italian expansionism. Alliance lately joined by Tuscany and broken after the Navarrese uprising
  • 1630-today: "Vassals' period": a regional pact with Navarra and Tuscany only, probably the least prestigious network in the recent history of the Kingdom

Another flashback about colonisation

Chapter 25: "Portuguese discoveries under the Hapsburgs" (1599-1640)

The navy seems to be the only institution vital under the last two Hapsburg Kings as it was in the glorious decades of the House of Avis. Olhao, an adventurer dispatched by Felipe II to uncover the interior part of North America, reaches the Great Lakes in the early years of the century, establishes a contact with few French trader who have settled in that remote area of the continent among resilient natives. Another adventurer, a Portuguese from Austral Africa named Cao, explores the provinces surrounding the Portuguese enclave in Ivoria, inhabited by peoples organised in embryonic states. The greatest explorers of the first half of the century are Antonio Fernandez and Goyas. From the fast-growing port in Fort Larantula (located in the island of Flores), their voyages across the South-West area of the Pacific Ocean permit to uncover some remote parts of a big but quite inaccessible island next to the East Indies that they call New Guinea. Their careers and that of Cao will incredibly come together during the period 1707-1709. Cao, who has been sent by the Government Council to Fort Larantula as Governor of the port in July 1707, goes aboard of one of Fernandez and Goyas' joint voyages aimed to a better mapping of the area, carried out in 1709. On 4 April 1609 their fleet finds a previously unknown continent, Australia.

3754.jpg

While Goyas and Fernandez go on charting the sea surrounding the new continent, Cao lands in the province of Towoonba and by January 1610 manages to map the whole Eastern coastline of Australia. A grain trading post founded in Wollongong in August 1610 develops into a small colony (Porto Solis, the first Portuguese city in the newly discovered continent) by 1612, thanks to Cao and his comrades. From Porto Solis, Cao will participate to other three important discovery adventures. In January 1614 he lands in Macquaire, and before the death takes him in "his own" town in 1617, Cao will lead to expeditions to Tahiti and Whangarei, the northernmost point of New Zealand. Antonio Fernandez, still in activity for a long time, will map a huge region in the middle of Pacific, found a spices trading post in Tahiti in 1627 and finally make contact with the Aztecs inhabiting the Western side of Mesoamerica. In October 1622 Antonio Fernandez reaches for the first time the coasts of California, uncovering hospitable provinces suitable for further colonisation.

In Brazil, Governor Pedro Teixeira reshuffles long forgotten ventures: Belém receives some improvements to attract more colonists and recover its rightful status among the Brazilian colonial cities, deriving from its old history (Belém was actually the very first Portuguese town in America, but suffered a lower attractiveness because of its tropical climate, in opposition to other settlements in more temperate zones). Pedro Teixeira enhances also to unrivalled profitability levels the tobacco plantations in Pernambuc and Iguatu and sugar plantations in Tiracambu, before leaving the warm lands in the Tropics for the temperate ones in the South. After a short appointment as Governor of the recently upgraded colonial cities in Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre, Felipe III sends him to organize the Portuguese settlements on the mouth of La Plata river. The trading post is Parana is upgraded in a small colony (Colonia do Sacramento), whereas a new one is founded in Rosario and later in Aires, bordering with a Spanish settlement in Patagonia. After his already mentioned European campaign for the subjugation of Navarra, Teixeira comes back to his beloved Argentina and founds also Porto Velho on the South side of La Plata, just in front of Montevideo.

JoaoIVPortugal.jpg

King Joao IV

Chapter 26: "The House of Braganca" (1640-1656)

Joao IV finds a country lagging behind its direct competitors in land technology, infrastructure and trade, but with a still sizable, advanced navy and the third largest economy (following Netherlands and Russia), as shown by the development of a brand new centre of trade in Porto Velho (Aires). In 1641 he has been confirmed King of Portugal by the Cortes with the target of national reconstruction thus, if not a pure constitutional monarch, he is no more an absolute despot as the Hapsburgs were. Anyway, his competence is immediately tested by the urgent necessity of reconstruction. The restoration of stability is the first issue in his agenda, aimed to a general increase in both production and traders' confidence. After decades of unease and obstacles, Portuguese merchants are able again to recover their space in the most important European and overseas centres of trade. New York's association to the Empire perfectly symbolises the restored Portuguese authority: on 1st November 1642 about 2.800 English reformed colonists in New York ask King Joao IV to become part of the North American Dominion in order to avoid any nuisance coming from their troubled motherland's civil war between Parliament and Crown. Being the nation's energies engaged in the reconstruction of the mainland, Joao IV's reign will not be recalled for any particular exploration or colonisation adventures: anyway, improvements are always in progress, like those to enlarge slaves trade in Mayumba and spices' one in Tahiti. Only one new slave trading post would be settled in Ovambo in 1647.

7040.jpg

Trade and slaves – employed in the labour intensive sugar, coffee, tobacco and cotton plantations in Brazil and North America – are the main reasons of a minor colonial war against Denmark and Netherlands. The casus belli of the conflict is the embargo declared by a Danish royal ordinance against Portuguese traders' activity in Copenaghen. Tension rapidly soars, 10.000 colonial volunteers get together in Belém (Brazil) and Nova Lagos (Roanoke) and finally on 24 June 1645 Joao's envoys hand a formal declaration of war to Danish and Dutch ambassadors. Portuguese colonial troops enjoy over two centuries of experience in the swift guerrilla fighting, whose methods are suitable for those tropical areas. In a rapid sequence of actions, Danish and Dutch trading posts in Caribbean Sea and South America are captured in few months, even if also some Portuguese posts are burnt by enemy troops and then rebuilt in peace time. After the conquest of Kongensten, a 600-inhabitants Danish colony in Zaire, on 26 October 1645 a charitable Joao IV meets with the Danish King Christian IV to settle the conflict: Zaire, the last Danish colony in Equatorial Africa, passes to Portugal and the trade embargo is removed. In the meantime, Spain gobbles a decadent Kingdom of Aragon. Its fall is quite clear after the Peace of Barcelona signed in March 1646, which assigns the provinces of Valencia, Aragon, Baleares and Gerona to Spain. Only the ancient capital and its surroundings, plus the possessions in Italy, are left to the Aragonese.

After the victorious campaign against Denmark, Joao IV can revert to his favourite employment: administrating his enormous Empire. He appoints new military governors for Macao and Hong Kong and strengthens those remote garrisons in order to face the disorders coming from the collapse of the Ming China. Insurgents would capture and lose many times those provinces during Joao IV's reign, who would never his Asian possessions calmed down. In 1647 the King establishes a bishopric in Ivoria and cedes its administration to a nobleman for 100 ducats. In February 1649 he charters an innovative commercial university in Lisbon, funding its construction with an international loan. Thus, the capital continues to attract people from all over the Empire: not only peasants and labourers but also young students who will become the future royal officers in America, Asia, Africa and Australia. Such benevolent King seldom takes harsh measures, as the imprisonment in 1651 of a distinguished and modernizer pamphleteer who has criticised his decision to wage war against the backward natives inhabiting the rich island of Ceram (East Indies). The subsequent ethnic cleansing, premise for the establishment of a spices trading post in 1556, is probably one of the darkest decisions of this Enlightened King: stability and central authority have been restored, inflation slightly reduced, infrastructures repaired and innovated, overseas commerce reactivated. As a consequence, Portuguese annual income is the biggest among civilised nations, as explained by the following ranking:
  • Portugal income – (base 100)
  • France – 81
  • Netherlands – 65
  • Spain and Ottoman Empire - 60
His diplomacy quietly goes on reintroducing Portugal in the context of foreign powers: in June 1648 the marriage of Pedro II (his second eldest son and future Regent and King) with the daughter of Ahed XIV of Ireland strengthen the relations with the Irish, who will join two years later the existing alliance with Tuscany and Navarra. Also the old friends in Cyprus will come back to the pact in 1655. A general (but temporary) improvement of the relationship with the weighty Spanish neighbour will bring an important amendment to the Treaty of Tordesillas in 1653, which will be practically abrogated since that year.

This is just marvellous AAR. I'd like to have it printed too ;) (as a book)

AfonsoVIPortugal.jpg

King Afonso VI

Chapter 27: "The Mad King and Florentine-Papal War" (1656-1667)

Afonso VI succeeds Joao IV in November 1656. In consideration of his minor age (he is only 10 years old when Joao IV dies), his mother becomes Regent, but the boy grows sick and mad. During six years of regency, few episodes emerge from the darkness of history. In 1657 Queen Mother Luisa launches a costly moralisation effort to bring down corruption in the colonial administration and in 1658 passes a modernising decree for the regulation of medical profession. These reforms, combined with a general prosperity, favour an exceptionally rich 1659, which brings in the Treasury over 300 ducats. The most dramatic single event of the period is the devastating fire in Sagres: on 11 January 1661 a inexplicable blaze completely destroys the naval equipment manufactory in the province of Algarve, just adjacent to the renowned School of Navigation established by Prince Enrique 250 years before. A serious economic damage, without taking in consideration the affection of an entire nation for that facility!

A well-directed mercantile scheme promoted by North American Dominion expands the presence of Portuguese trading posts in the Great Lakes region with the development of iron mining in Shenandoah and the increasingly valuable furs trade in Irondekoit. Following the merciless pattern of the former King Joao IV, another ethnic cleansing is promoted during 1661-1662 in the African Equatorial province of Curango: 5000 highly aggressive natives killed is the heavy toll paid for the settlement of the last Portuguese trading post in Africa (completed in March 1664): with it, a continuum of Portuguese possessions or satellite states spans from Kongo to Mogadishu, entailing all Equatorial and Austral Africa.

Few months after the fire of Sagres, Catherine of Braganca (Afonso VI's sister) marries King Charles II of England in Portsmouth, bringing to London a dowry of 200 ducats. Two weeks after the royal marriage, a trade agreement with the English confirms the restored relations with them. The alleged scarce attitude of the House of Braganca towards war is disproved by the involvement of Portugal in the four years long Florentine-Papal War. The conflict, which will record the presence of a great number of Catholic powers (Portugal, Tuscany, Eire, Navarra, Cyprus against Papal States, Aragon and Austria), blasts after the forceful annexation in 1662 of the Kingdom of Italy - now a small but still celebrated country consisting of a single province, Milan - by the expansionistic Pope Alexander VII. Ferdinand II Medici, Granduke of Tuscany who has always opposed any further development in the context of Italian diplomacy, declares war on 12 June 1663 upon the Pope and calls his allies (Afonso VI, Art III of Eire, the Navarrese and the Cypriots) against Alexander VII, supported by Ferran III of Aragon and Leopold I of Austria. Von Schonberg is appointed commander in chief and embarks with 11.000 from Tangier toward Italy. Before his arrival in Italy, colonial troops take the Aragonese colony in Antigua but a fleet is crushed in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. In September Von Schonberg lands in the vicinity of Palermo and starts to siege the most important Sicilian city. A naval blockade prevents the coming of Aragonese reinforcements and weakens the resistance of the encircled forces, which surrender in June 1664. After the fall of Messina in Von Schonberg's hands (July 1665), the Pope and Ferran III of Aragon send a sequence of envoys with huge amounts of gold for a peace agreement. The conflict is radically changing the Italian context: Francesco II Este re-establishes the independence of the Duchy of Modena from the Hapsburg dominance, whereas Tuscany temporary takes from them Romagna. On July 1666 Von Schonberg takes Cagliari (Sardinia) from the Aragonese and moves to Catalonia, but in November Ferdinand II conquests Siena and arranges with the Pope a quick peace treaty, gaining the captured province and 102 ducats (which he shares with his allies).

14575.jpg

Despite the King's madness, domestic situation is still flamboyant: in 1663 Afonso VI sets by decree the institution of a new concession for spice trade in Pacific Ocean, with a 150 ducats lump advance payment to the Treasury. During last years of his reign, some significant improvements of Portuguese land defence are made: in 1666 royal governors oversee the establishment of new cantonments in the Canary Islands and in Algarve, the subsequent year a fortification effort strengthens the garrisons of Rio de Janeiro (which is becoming the biggest and most vital Brazilian town, whit a brand new tax collector appointed by Afonso VI) and Hong Kong (where a medium level fortress is erected against the incessant revolts of the natives). Imperial economy is so rich that Treasury deposits exceed 1.000 ducats when Afonso VI consents to abdicate in favour of his brother.

Ok. I'm trying to post a reasonable number of updates per week until the end of the AAR (let's say, 2-3). My game is well in the '700s at the moment (and big surprises are waiting in my blocknotes) and I've to write a story on notes covering more than 50 years. Anyway, I'm going to move to another apartment since tomorrow, so probably this will take some time for updates during this we, next days of the next week. Keep following me!

I sympathize with the AAR writing big effort.

Looks like you got shortchanged by the Fiorentines after conquering 3 provinces. Did you mind about it? It is something to be expected if you are not the war leader and you are conquering from an ally of the opposite war leader (Aragon in this case) and not directly from the war leader (Papal States). Even if Tuscany would want to give you something (rare), she can't. Independent peace is the way to go.

Peter_II_of_Portugal.jpg

King Pedro II

Chapter 28: "King Pedro II and Luis de Meneses, aka Count of Ericeira" (1667-1686)

On 24 November 1667 Afonso VI, aware of his weak intellectual conditions, consents to his abdication in favour of his younger brother Pedro II and goes in exile to the Azores. His marriage with Queen Maria Isabella of Savoy is invalidated and she remarries with Pedro II. One of the new King's first decisions is sending a missionary to convert the reformed New Yorkers. The mission, established with a cost of 430 ducats, is successfully accomplished in 7 years: in 1675 a large majority of the inhabitants has reverted to the very true Catholic faith. The early period of Pedro II's reign is characterised by economic reforms and prosperity, but also by a disproportionate royal bounteousness. A Pacific Monopoly Company for the exploitation of Australian colonies is established in December 1668 giving an initial dowry of 150 ducats. An internal trade ordinance in 1669 improves commercial situation in selected towns: Nova Lagos, Sao Romualdo and Hong Kong. A university is founded with a cost of 200 ducats financed by an international loan, contributing to further innovation, in particular in the field of civil engineering.

Because of the King's liberality, colonial enterprises receive countless funds: trading posts in Ceram and Curango, established after two bloody ethnic cleansings during his predecessors' reigns, are improved at maximum level; Kongensten, the last Danish colony – captured in 1645 – is upgraded to city 25 years after its conquest; Nova Oporto and Nova Tago (located in the wool producing Australian provinces of Nandewar and Wagga) are officially founded in 1670 and 1671, respectively. Finally. another spices trading post is settled in Manado in June 1672, simultaneously with a full upgrade of sugar plantations in Barahona (West Indies). Naval technology advancements quickly increase sight range capability at sea, permitting the discovery of the last unfamiliar coasts of New Zealand and Viti Levu.

Pedro II's liberality finds application also in foreign affairs. Gifts to the loyal Cypriot friends consent to get a full access for Portuguese navies and armies in August 1671. Pedro II sends there a small naval squadron and on 24 January 1672 a protectorate over Cyprus is officially sanctioned [note of the author: a complete list of vassals includes at the moment also Mogadishu, Malindi, Kilwa, Egypt, Tuscany and Navarra].

3706.jpg

Pedro II's open-handedness reaches its climax in July 1674 when the King borrows two more international loans (totalling 600 ducats) to build his brand new palace in the neighbourhood of Lisbon. For a while (less than a couple of years), the Treasury mints some money from the budget in order to pay interests on such debt burden, but a financial reshuffle becomes necessary: on 5 January 1676 King Pedro II appoints Count Luis de Ericeira as Head of the Treasury. He rapidly puts into action a heavily mercantilistic policy to protect Portuguese industry against foreign competitors, a measure comparable to the one developed by Colbert in France. His cabinet passes decrees to enforce sobriety at any social level, putting a reasonable limit even to royal expenses, and to reduce local intrusions in economic affairs. This severe minister commits gold only to innovative projects and does not elude to crush tax-related revolts (like those in the region of La Plata) to ensure an increasing revenues flow to the Treasury. This is a summary of Ericeira's policy:

5039.jpg

In Ericeira's program for financial restructuring, also luck plays a role: in years 1676-77 natives of Ngoyo and Teke (two former Kongolese provinces inhabited by 48.000 and 45.000 pagans, respectively) ask to join the neighbouring Portuguese Empire's possessions and are rapidly admitted to protect them against the reprisal of their despotic King Daniel.

1676b.jpg

During the Count of Ericeira's ruling period, the attention for civil rights records a significant increase despite the emergence of a tendency towards royal absolutism. With a deed of clemency signed by Pedro II, in 1678 the pamphleteer imprisoned by King Joao IV is freed after 27 years of detention. In January 1681 a trade agreement with Denmark gives back Portuguese merchants the right of travelling and trading in Copenaghen, thus ending a long-lived commercial hostility with the Nordic country. In Ericeira's great design there is some room also for local autonomies: for example, the institution of royal cantonments in Canary Islands and Oporto (1679) produces new demands for self-government from local bourgeoisie authorities, instances benevolently accepted by Ericeira when clearly limited to ordinary administrative capabilities. The results of his good administration are immediate: by 1684 all the three loans borrowed by the Treasury for erection of both a university and a royal palace would be repaid. The only black spot of Ericeira's tenure is the plague outbreak, which occurs in 1685. The global extension of traffics within the Empire makes it a large-scale pandemic stretching through the Atlantic from Lisbon to North America and Brazil. Overall, 8.000 citizens die for the disease, equally distributed between mainland and colonies.

Notwithstanding his cost cutting mania, Ericeira stimulates original colonial ventures: 100 settlers leave Montevideo and found Santa Maria in the grain producing province of Cangucu. This is just the first step toward the colonisation of a number of neighbouring lands in the area: brand new grain farms in Pampas del Norte and Pampas del Sur follow in 1677 and 1682, respectively. In October 1680 sixty merchants inhabiting the Spanish post in Copetonas join Portuguese Empire after a long dispute with their former master about commercial rights. Count Ericeria reorganizes all these possessions under the most recent Portuguese Dominion called La Plata, with capital in Porto Velho, Aires.

Captain Guarda, directly appointed by Count Ericeria as leader of a small Pacific flotilla in 1677, discovers Hawaii archipelago on 21 December 1677 and Coast of Oregon in the following year. After a brief rest in safe Portuguese harbours in the area, Guarda goes on discovering those vast sea zones laying between Asia and America. The peninsula of Kamchatka is completely uncovered in 1680; three years later, following North American coastline, Guarda reaches Alaska. On 14 May 1683 with the discovery of Aleutes Islands – laying between Asia and America in the Straits of Bering – Guarda earns the glory of being the Portuguese commander who explores the last (navigable) sea zone in the World! Only Arctic and Antarctic Oceans are left uncovered! After his glorious voyages, Captain Guarda comes back to Porto Solis (Wollongong, Australia) and make home there with his crew.

8925.jpg

Appointed Governor of Australia, Guarda spends his latest years improving and enlarging Portuguese colonies in the Pacific Ocean: after a cruel military expedition in Viti Levu against natives, a sugar trading post is established in May 1686, followed in a short while by a new settlement in Yarra. In particular, Australian provinces will prove to be very fertile and suitable for sheep farming and crop growing. Even if stretching our sight beyond the time limits of this chapter, we may follow the deeds of Guarda's successors: in the last decade of '600s they will found new colonies or trading posts on the mainland in Murumbidgee and Towoomba, settle the small island of Macquaire and put a footstep in New Zealand archipelago at Timaru and Wairoo. Given the thriving expansion of this area, a new Dominion is officially created with capital in Porto Solis. Just for completeness of information, two more trading posts are established outside Australia in the period, Tana (one more slave trade zone, next to Mombasa) and Buru (a coffee producing island in East Indies).