• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pirate Z - I will cover the three great men each in a shorter update like this one. Does this help?

comagoosie - Surely you need a De Luisignan for that? My Elegemitoi tried again and again and no lasting luck :p

balkanite - Aye. I want them to give a bloody nose to the Poles and the Turks and the Bulgars but we'll see.

Deamon - I'd sell it for good readAARs, so it all works out.

HKslan - Heh! CK produces interesting results. I don't know what to expect them to achieve though, they're in a really tough spot.

Enewald - Indeed!

Tskb18 - technical answer: in a manual fashion. If I had odd situations (eg. Crusader states, distant vassals, etc) I would just make up a whole new country tag for EU3. Once you know how to do it it's really quick and easy.

Croatia - I know, right? Glagolithic! Take that, everyone!

ComradeOm - :D :D Here's hoping, yes indeed.

I'm working on my graphic skills right now, and I have a lot of good turkish graphics. They'd better do somewhat well, otherwise I'd have wasted my time:D :D

Devin Perry - thank you! Great to see you here!

EDIT: San Marino, eh? You got me.

How about "the oldest state that's actually on the map"?

-------

I'm trying a few new things with graphics, by the way, because it really is time to advance into the post-2008 era of AARland. Everyone has better maps than me, and believe it or not I was once on the cuttin' edge.

Or thereabouts ;)

An amazing set of chapters :D loved the Dante opener XD so appropriate XD Well done at the overviews ; as always your historical pen matches the decorum of each situation and the pictures themselves were quite nice to look at :D

Great to see you posting here!:) And wow, your Balkans and Anatolia sure are messy.

Good luck finishing the conversion, it certainly can be a very frustrating process.:eek:o

Really neat update, and yes, this'll do just great to give us some background on the rise of the Osmans (Osmanids?). Thanks! And I really like the new map graphics.

Smashing update. Both in terms of temporary restoration of the Seljuk fortunes and authAARship. Looking forward to word on this Hassan chap.

So, without any substantive suggestion on the material itself, i'll offer a constructive meta-criticism...

Maybe put responses at the bottom of the page and the new updates on the top?

Don't forget! You can vote in the CHALICE!, and this AAR is one of several competing. Check it out, and do your duty to that booty. fo' real!

The mad genius that is phargle was kind enough to post that in the first part of this AAR - A Year's Education. Which is in my opinion primus inter some very great pares in the CK equivalent of the OscAARs.

High quality reading all-round among the entrants... and a polite reason to provide bumpage for this thread to boot.

Hi everyone!

The predecessor to this one (A Year's Education) is in the running for the Crusader Chalice!

If you feel like it was a good AAR and worthy of a major award please go VOTE for me!

Thanks!

--------

Other than that, updates are coming soon. Stay tuned.

canonized - thank you! Always nice to have you comment here!

VILenin - yes, they're messy, and they stay messy in the game a while longer too.

Speaking of the conversion, I'm happy to say definite progress has been made. The map (Indonesia and China included) is relatively stable now and I've actually added Judaism successfully. Expect the first downloadable version somewhere next month?

Pirate Z - thanks! I'm glad you like the maps.

Here's the man that prompted the request for you, by the way.

Tskb18 - well, Hassan himself was somewhat insignificant, but his son certainly was one of a kind.

And as per your request, comments precede the update.

vanin - I hope it proves interesting!

aldriq - I'd imagine so. There's that whole lost Empire to recreate.

comagoosie - seems that the Byz Empire is the perennial underachiever. But it sure is persistent.

Tskb18 - thank you and everyone who voted for me. We did very, very well by the way.

CSK - well, I'm working on both my conversion and the quality of my updates. Thanks for the interest!

------

And now, UPDATE! Yes, it's more of a preview, and there's a few more to follow it, but we'll be moving to the story proper some time soon. Maybe even this year :rofl::p

The World in 1393 and How it Got There

Men of the Sword and the Book

II

Yamin ad-Dawlah ‘abd al-Malik Sulayman ibn Hassan ibn Mohammed
(1337-1370, reign 1359-1370)

MalikSulayman.png

There is no shortage of legends and histories about this man in the Muslim world, and at one point he was the quintessential Noble Heathen even among European sources. Today, however, he may not be as well-known as previously, and so perhaps it is time to examine his life from a more factual standpoint.​

The date of his sudden death of what were perhaps natural causes is known; legend has it he was only thirty-three, a romantic age for a world-changing figure to die at, reminiscent of Alexander the Great or the prophet Issa. He was the fourth son of his father Hassan, who emerged as the heir in Baghdad after Adil Mohammed’s Empire fell apart. Hassan’s succession was not a smooth affair, but somewhere between 1358 and 1360 Sulayman became the uncontested power in Baghdad, and set about implementing his dramatic and ambitious vision into life.​

SulaymanStart.png

He was committed to an ideal of a universal Muslim Empire, that would be able to overcome factionalism and tribal division, and he was convinced about the necessity of removing the power of the Christians as far away as possible from the centers of Islam. He also was the first in a long time to set Constantinople as a real goal for the future. The expansion against Christian states is of course what he is most famous for, and what won him the loyalty of many factions that would not obey his father. Nonetheless, he was far more in both reality and myth than a simple conqueror​

Whether by luck or design, he had good teachers in his youth, and acquired a deep appreciation for the intellectual underpinnings of Empire building. Rather than simply pursuing a return to power like his father, he put a great effort into surrounding himself with the foremost minds of his era, writers and lawyers and historians who would define the goals for many future sultans and above all, recorded meticulously his every deed. Sulayman certainly was very apt in using this advantage, and had a pronounced sense of the dramatic moment. There’s any amount of anecdotes about his noble deeds, gallantry, or witty sayings, most of which we shall omit. In short, he was a legend within his lifetime.​

The new Muslim Empire was contingent, however, on a few pragmatic goals being met first. The foremost was a necessary détente with the Timurids and with Ahmed Baghadur. The former was indeed accomplished, while in the case of Egypt Sulayman went much further, impressing the wily warlord so much that an official alliance was signed and pursued through the duration of his reign against defiant Jerusalem, the bothersome Knights of St.John and the tenacious Fatimids. The second was a need to deal with the threat of Mongol retaliation for northward expansion. His timing was perfect and two defeats in Anatolia convinced the Blue Horde to not only leave Baghdad in peace but actually retreat north of the Caucasus, leaving their clients in Kartli and Tabriz isolated. Victory over the Mongols brought him the allegiance of the Turkmen tribes in southern Caucasus, which allowed the conquest of the rival branches of the Seljuk royal house in Persia.​

It was after such consolidation that he finally set out to remove the Christians from the Levant. For over a century, an alliance of Armenian Cilicia, Ilkhan Damascus and Knytling Tripoli held the Muslims at bay. This time, however, history was not on their side. After crushing them in the field, he expelled all three ruling houses and took the cities. For most part, his reputation for mercy was already widespread, and most towns – including the legendarily stubborn Baalbek – opened their gates without resistance. Within three years he was in control of the entire territory. With the northern flank secured, his armies headed south, to Jerusalem. Coordinating with the Egyptians, he overwhelmed the Christian armies. Fighting alongside the Greek kingdom were the Knights of St.John, and volunteers from various Christian states of Europe. The former’s stronghold at Damietta was taken by Ahmed Bahadur by storm even as Jerusalem itself fell, and together with the Monomachs, the Knights fled to Ascalon.​

SulaymanDeath.png

The advantage of Christian navies (with Cyprus a convenient naval base) over what the Muslims currently had became obvious as the siege of Ascalon dragged on. Likewise, Alexandria held out against Egypt. The two rulers agreed to sign a peace with the remaining Christians until enough naval power would be obtained. How committed Ahmed Baghadur was remains unknown, but Sulayman started a shipbuilding program in Syria and tried to get the one Turkish power with naval experience – the Osmanoglu – on board. They refused, proving themselves a potential rival. In addition to preparing the ships, Sulayman also started planning a future confrontation with the Anatolian beyliks. It was in the middle of that endeavour that he died.​

In Syria and elsewhere, his behaviour with the population was exemplary, even better than what the Emperor Alexander did (which was in itself fairly mild for the time). Because so little resistance was offered, the Christians and the Mongols were largely left alone. In Jerusalem, however, the subsequent Monomachs were very stridently Orthodox and treated their Muslim subjects far more harshly than the other population, and resisted formidably. For that, the larger part of the Christians were expelled from the larger cities and allowed to go to Ascalon, while the remainder often paid heavy tax to avoid retribution. This perhaps was to be the pattern for future conquests, had he lived longer. As he died, however, it left a much-reduced Greek state in Ascalon with a sufficient population to attempt reconquest. The opportunity to do so came very quickly.​

SulaymanSuccession.png

Sulayman only had one surviving son (Hassan), who was many years away from his majority. Sulayman’s nephews immediately fell into fighting for regency. This was combined with a fundamental falling out between the core of the empire and its periphery; although the Turkmen confederations (the Black and White Sheep) were loyal to Sulayman’s glory and genius, they were not really loyal to his universalist ideals. The traditionalist nomads rebelled almost immediately, asserting their old autonomy in the East. The crisis in Baghdad prompted Ahmed Baghadur to intervene. An Egyptian army marched into the city and after some deliberation, the Abbasid Caliphs who had long survived as figureheads in the Seljuk court were installed as rulers of Iraq, with the remainder of the Hassanid state subservient to Egypt. The spectacular reversal of fortune, however, only served to strengthen the myth of ‘abd al-Malik Sulayman – like Alexander the Great deep in antiquity, he left the survivors wondering: what if he had only lived a little longer?​

Meanwhile, in Egypt, the era of another great, but controversial man was just coming to a close…​

Last edited:
w00t! An update!

Once again, the loving detail you pour into fleshing out the radically different world comes through. I especially dig the graphic, as well as the map. How did you get the subtle crinkle effect?

Great to see this up and running again. I kinda missed it, and it's great to find out who Abd al-Malik Sulayman was at last.

This is a man I could have enjoyed reading about in book form.:)

Thrilling stuff as always. :)

I know they won't get a full length profile, but I have to admit I am most fascinated by the Latin Empire. When it comes Constantinople I'm rooting for the Poles.

Excellent update, very enjoyable to read as always =)

This great man could that be Sa'im al-Dahr?

^^

But to be serious, it is great to find this gem updated again.