• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EtzelHoveri

Lt. General
53 Badges
Dec 16, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
Hello again friends I am writing yet another AGOT mod. My most recent one was 'The White Book' which followed the Lord Commanders of the Kingsguard from the days of it's founding by Aegon the Conqueror until the game was updated and my story was lost. This time I will be following my own created House, Badics of Moonsgrey. They are a minor House just north of the Eyrie under the leadership of the High Lords of Strongsong. This AAR will be one of many which is being written to be a part of the newest of the AGOT mod competition. For more information about that please see here.

I have not decided on how I will be writing this AAR yet, however, I have already started playing it. I'm starting this version in The Crowned Stag scenario, so that means the Targaryens are dead and only Viserys and Daenerys are still alive across the Sea. Robert Baratheon sits on the throne with Cersei Lannister as his Queen. From here the story quickly spirals out of control from what it was like in the books. Once I begin the story I hope you enjoy it.

Table of Contents
Book 1 - The Crowned Stag
A Maester's Path
The Crone's Lantern
A Session in the Yard
At The Crown
Trip through the Castle
A Hunt
Messages from the Ravens
Tourney of Strongsong
Teaching those that come
Why are you not happy?
A melee to honor a wedding
Ride back to Moonsgrey
Sagging Teats
Knights of the Vale
A Ser and his Castle
A Lion's Honor

Book 2 - Three Fawns
Kingslayer
Meeting of the Powerful
Saving an Enemy
Freedom?
I will be Queen
Talk with Son
Play the Game
Shadows
What big hands you have
Questioning a Prisoner
Snow and Stone
A gutted fish
A Union
Coming to the End
A New Beginning

Book 3 - War of the North and Trident
Called to War
Just a Pawn
A Fish not a Ser?
Two Goodbyes
An uneaten meal
King of the Trident
Alive
In His Tower
All the King's Men
An offer he can't refuse
A Visitor
King's Judgment
More Northern Traitors
Lord's Pain
Finding Peace
Riding with his Prisoner
An Empty Seat

Book 4 - Rockslides and Rapids
Still as Death
Gwayne's Celebration
Leaving the Vale
Murder
Meeting of the Small Council
A Giant's Fall
Guests at a Feast
Changes in the Vale
New Maester
Shorter by a Head
Deja Vu
To the Wall
Two men drown
Return to Riverrun
Trip through the Moon Door
What a Bastard deserves
A Welcome
Fishes on the Wall
Saving Tristan Again
To Port

Book 5 - Sands of Time
Prove Yourself
Proven in Battle
The Time is Near
A Letter
The Shadow Strikes Again
Return to the Vale
A Speech
A Burning Sensation
Landfall
Making an Escape
Battle Between Brothers
Brotherly Love
To The Victor
Go the Spoils

Book 6 - Kings of the Iron Throne
The Rose has its Thorns
Child Lord
The Great Lord
For My Queen
Everything Part-1
Everything Part-2
King Badics?
Domestic Dispute
An End
Epilogue

Last edited:
I'm playing House Badics of the Vale. My created house after taking second in the last AAR competition.

I hope you enjoy it cc and I'm glad you enjoyed the white book. This game has quite a few twists and turns. I think it will be an enjoyable read. My plan is to write it kind of like the book series. Different books with each chapter having a different character perspective.

I will have my first post up Monday. It got postponed because my first baby was born today. Been in the hospital the last two days.

The Crowned Stag

A Maester's Path

Eustace of Menaskham
(June 284)

b3b352ce-3815-4809-97ee-367a35537968_zps1a4811c2.jpg

It was going on twenty years now since he had left his home of Menaskham. Since he was a boy of fourteen he has lived his life in the halls of the Citadel where he spent tireless days training to become a Maester. Those days were easier to remember then even what his own parents had looked like before their deaths. His days of training and remembering did not come easy however. Each of his links except two came with little difficulty. Touching the Pewter and Pale Steel links he remembered those two had been his first. Those were the two which brought him from a mere novice to that of an acolyte and a true member of the Citadel and his future position as a Maester of Westeros.

Growing up on a farm with no brothers and your father levied to fight during the War of the Ninepenny Kings you quickly had to learn the way of the land. To plow and plant and water, sheer and fertilize the land. When it was time to cut, what weeds would help in the growing and which would hinder. Most importantly though you needed to know the signs of the coming winter and how to store the extra crops so you and your family would not starve during the cold.

Though he had been doing this for years it was the Pale Steel he had earned first. He knew how to grow things along the mountains, but they had to still teach him about growing in the desert, in the swamps, and the different plants of other lands. A forge and hammer though was the same wherever you went. Having only a few coppers except after a good harvest you had to learn to reshoe your own horse, fix a dented plow after ramming it into a buried rock which happened way to frequently for him and to sharpen the blades for cutting.

He was not the best trained Maester he knew, but he was still competent. Running his fingers along the chain he could now tell what each one was just by the feel of them. Copper, Tin, Steel, Black Iron, Pewter, Yellow Gold, Silver, Pale Steel, Bronze, and Copper again. He had mastered the arts of Smithing, Agriculture, Economics, and Engineering in his first three years. Medical and Ravenry came the next two years. It took him three more to learn the stars and four to learn the history of these lands.

Tin, Heraldry, his last link in the chain which he recieved was by far the hardest to earn. They all seemed to blend together one with the other. To learn what each color meant, which house had which sigils and what the slightly altered ones meant. The only four he had known before coming to the Citadel was the Three-headed dragon of the Targaryen Kings that took his father from him, the moon and falcon of House Arryn, the nine bells of the Belmore's of Strongsong that would buy his crops and finally the black horse under a red chevron on a field of gold.

This was the first he had learned. The House that ruled over the lands he lived on, House Badics. They were an old house though they had never really accounted for much. House Badics was founded eight thousand years ago during the Andal invasion where a peasant turned General named Badics became Commander of King Artys Arryn's entire cavalry. In recognition for his services his son was given the lands of Moonsgrey after his father died. Bryton took his father's name as his family name and his Coat of Arms became his father's horse running across a field of gold. It would not be until the arrival of the dragon riders when the red chevron would be added. Lord Calleb Badics or Calleb the Castle Forger took part in the engineering of what is still today House Badics seat of power. In six months the entire project was complete, but in the end it was not even needed. Visenya Targaryen simply flew her dragon up to the Eyrie and the war was over.

896c0402-217a-45bd-8e0f-e9e427d4db67_zps14380f31.jpg

fbc41a49-8044-4be8-ad2a-4a8b372e06fb_zps344582b0.jpg

Today though the dragons were dead and the Stag ruled in its place. Robert Baratheon had won his war and took his place upon the Iron Throne of Westeros.

ea9423bc-1e2f-4f2e-bc68-8f2bae08fb86_zpsf0b88516.jpg

With the war won Eustace found himself making the trip along the Mountains of the Moon to return to his home. He was now Maester to the Lord of Moonsgrey, Lord Paul Badics. He would advise him in all matters as well as his wife Hilary, a woman he had known during his own youth. The thing he most looked forward to though was the raising of his Lord's two children. Bryton and Caleigh were twins of golden hair much like their mother. He loved children and now he would get to be the teacher.

Coming over the last hill Eustace finally came within sight of his new home. Castle Renwick was a beautiful castle built into the side of the Mountains of the Moon. This would be his home just as it had been before, only now he would be a man. Not just any man, he would be the person that his Lord turned to for all discussions and planning instead of the boy with no family. Wrapping the cloth around his hands a little tighter he started the last few steps down the path that would consume the rest of his life. The cloth helped remove the pain from the cut he received during his last vigil. It was this cut and vigil which had named him ready to take his first steps down the path of being a Maester.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally have the first chapter up. I hope you enjoy it. I'm sorry it took so long, but as I mentioned before I just recently had a baby girl. As you can also tell I decided to split this AAR up into seperate books and each chapter will follow a different character's perspective. Just like in the actual ASOIAF series each chapter will be a different person. There are a few things I still have to edit into the story. Photobucket is extremely slow and so I'm waiting on two pics to add to the story. Then there is the fact that at the top it simply says 'Book 1'. This will eventually change, it's just I have not decided on the books name yet nor have I decided on where the first book will end in this story. Hopefully, I will have these two things updated by tonight though I doubt that the book title will come to me any time soon.

Feel free to critize as much as you want. I would love any input on my story either through comments or PM. Once again I hoped you enjoyed the story and will most likely have the next chapter up Wednesday.

Last edited:
I edited in the pics for the first chapter. The second chapter was delayed because of exams on Wednesday. I should have the next chapter up today sometime.

The Crowned Stag

The Crone's Lantern

Paul Badics
(November 286)​

Smiling to the artist Paul said, "This is a truly wonderful painting. What do you say Septon Nestor?" The man did not say anything at first, he simply stared at the painting from different angles. The painting was well done though and rather symbolic in his opinion. When the artist had come to him a month ago the man had offered to redo the Warrior in honor of the Lord of Moonsgrey who fought so brilliantly at King Robert's side at the Battle of the Bells, the Trident and even helped him escape from the defeat at Ashford.

8e03bb05-0714-4630-84ea-1dc8457e6f27_zps282cd82b.jpg

In the end though Paul had the artist redo the Crone in honor of his new Septon. He could stil remember the day a year after the Battle at the Trident when Septon Nestor arrived at his doorsteps. He had just put down Bryton and Caleigh for the night when Maester Eustace approached him. "Lord Paul, I know you said you were going to be turning in for the night, but there is a man here to speak with you. He says his name is Nestor and is a Servant of the Seven. I offered to put him in one of the guest towers for the night, but he said he would like to see you now."

"Very well send him to my solar."

"Well my Lord, you see," was all that the Maester said before it was obvious he was uncomfortable.

"What is it Maester Eustace?"

"He says for you to meet him at the Septy outside the walls."

Unable to help himself Paul started to glare at his Maester. This man would dare come to his home and then set the conditions to their meeting? When the Maester had arrived last year he had come before him and took up his position with courtesy and obedience. Then again to be a Maester was to serve while a Septon was a man of Faith.

In the end he had come to meet with the man. At that time the Septy was empty because of the hour and since the Septy hadn't had a Septon since his father's rule. The only person within was a single man who sat at a table in the middle of the Septy. The place was completely dark as well save for a single lantern which rested on the table before the man. It was a rather eerie sight since the only thing he could see was the table, an empty chair, and the flickering of the light across the man's face and beard.

9e6b2c23-3d11-4bd9-9efe-60f55a67a444_zpsb36a03a2.jpg

Sitting across from the man the two had spent the entire night talking back and forth about himself, about his father, his family history, his marriage to Hilary was the hardest part though. With his father's death he found solice in the arms of one of the maids. When she grew large with child he knew he had to marry her, but this marriage made him look a fool in the eyes of the Vale. Hilary was beautiful, but she was no maiden when he had her. She had been sleeping with his father's soldiers and servants for years now. He was the first to give her a child and she was now his wife.

From there they talked of his part of the Rebellion. How he was sent by Jon Arryn to help ensure that Robert Baratheon made it to his home in Storm's End. He fought with Robert at Gulltown where Yohn Royce had offered to knight him in place of his father. He had refused since he did not believe himself worthy of being a knight. He was a fighter, but he was running away from his family and that was not knightly in his eyes. Then at the Battle of Summerhall he was in charge of the supplies. Following that victory he fought blade to blade against the mighty Heartsbane and it's wielder Lord Randyll Tarly to a draw while Robert escaped at Ashford. Later at the Battle of the Bells after learning of Denys Arryn's death Paul and Robert came forth to do battle which they won and put the King's Hand to rout.

This brought the two opposing armies of Robert's coalition and the Iron Throne to meet at the Trident. It was here that Paul found himself once again fighting alongside the men of the Vale. He killed no notable men here, but he did take part in the charge by Ser Lyn Corbray when they broke the Dornish troops. With this final victory Robert gave him leave to return to his home and his family. He had found in war that he loved his family and missed them dearly. Robert fought and killed to return his wife to his side while he fought to stay away from his own.

It was then that the Septon asked him what he wanted of himself and his children. He had sworn to tell the man the truth and he could still remember what he had said even though it was nearing two years ago. "I want to make my family men and women of importance. The first of the us who came to these lands was a pickpocket orphan who became General Badics of King Artys Arryn the Winged Knight cavalry. I want to make an impact on these lands and I want my children and their children to wish for nothing. I want to see my son married to a nobale woman and my daughter to marry a great knight. One day I hope to see the Badics become Kings and Queens, Lords of the land, great Maesters of learning, protectors of the Wall, men of the Seven, women of Silence and guardians of the King. That sir is what I want."

As the sun rose the next morning the Septon made him a knight and decided to stay at Moonsgrey. That was two years now and he had still done nothing yet. He had told the Septon what he wanted to see done, but it appeared he could not achieve such things.

22aa2b6d-62a5-4548-a0bb-8b0057577bcb_zps6af15d5d.jpg

"Lord Paul, I have to agree that it is a wonderful painting." The Septon smiled as he said this and kept smiling as he lit the lantern next to the painting. The same one he had when he met with him all those years back. "I just prey that the Crone lights the way during these troubling times. The King and Lord Eddard were so close during their youths. It's truly said to see them at war over something that can not be changed."

Last edited:
I've finally decided that the first book will be called 'The Crowned Stag'. It consists of 16 chapters between eight character from the year 284-297.

For a little preview there are two posts that are made in this book which consists of characters outside of the lands of Badics. One of those is the 'Giant of Lannister'.

Great read so far EtzelHoveri, once again another AAR of yours I enjoy reading :)

Anyway also stopping by to let you know I am passing the torch of Best Character Writer of the Week 2/23/13 onto you for this work. I know its just starting out but I think you definitely deserve the honor!

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement. Also thank you very much tnick for naming me the 'Best Character Writer of the Week'. That means a lot.

Though I am just curious what does OP stand for Rabid?