• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my experience an alliance with England early on only leads to a series of wars against Ireland costing stability and bringing little profit. They are not that great of an ally against France, but may provide a valuable assistance if you are fighting someone overseas. Once you establish your colonial empire they become more useful.

Capibara said:
Always nice to see Netherlands AARs, you're doing great, I'll be following

comagoosie said:
Nicely done, your a warmonger and a trader!

Thanks

nalivayko said:
In my experience an alliance with England early on only leads to a series of wars against Ireland costing stability and bringing little profit. They are not that great of an ally against France, but may provide a valuable assistance if you are fighting someone overseas. Once you establish your colonial empire they become more useful.

I wouldn't worry too much. I plan on taking Ireland myself when the time is right.

Last edited:
Nice AAR. Looking forward to see how you manage.

Regarding your earlier question, my answer would have been to change the tag, so that the current Netherlands becomes Holland. By whatever, crush'em and raise yourself the flag of Netherlands :D

Nitrousoxide said:
Alas, they were also at war with Burgandy and soon thereafter Burgandy launched an attack upon Koln. Somehow they managed to pull them away as my vassal, how exactly, I’m not sure as I thought one was unable to sign any peace treaty with a vassal.
This is, if i recall correctely, because Köln was already at war before accepting to become your vassal. As such, the "vassal-can-not-sign-seperate-peace"-thing doesn't apply, until it's completely at peace.

You can also let Burgundy stay to act like a buffer-state between you and France..

I don't know why but france is ussualy not expanding to north in mine games (sometimes it expand in east) BUT i think that giving them chance to get burgundy lands is not smart as they will become more powerful cause this... (i mean those - nothern lands) Of course if burgundy will become weak it is obvius that they will be annexed...

Also, in MMG, if they invade the north, then they'll come into to conflict with the HRE, which actually matters in MMG. The best thing to do is be friends with france and kick the rest of the HRE's ass so it's opinion isn't worth much.

I've been meaning to read this for a while, and now I have. It looks good.

Have you been thinking about the espionage idea? It would really be helpful in fabricating the claims you will need if you want to diploannex those vassals without massive badboy or wars with others. It might not turn out well if you have to add them to the imperial dimense. Speaking of ideas, what NIs do you have?

Iwanow said:
I think best thing is to attack burgundy now, i think they are weakned, so you could get some their land...

That's not a bad idea really. It's not like I'm really going to be annexing any of my vassals now, and I've got a wealth of manpower from being HRE.

Maybe I should get Burgundy to give up some land as sovereign states instead though, so I can have smaller states to deal with that can't really challenge me.

aHuman(oid) said:
I've been meaning to read this for a while, and now I have. It looks good.

Have you been thinking about the espionage idea? It would really be helpful in fabricating the claims you will need if you want to diploannex those vassals without massive badboy or wars with others. It might not turn out well if you have to add them to the imperial dimense. Speaking of ideas, what NIs do you have?

I would use espionage, but MMG has horrible chances for success in fabricating claims. It costs like 100 gold for a 5% chance of success. Clearly not worth my while EVER.

As to my National Ideas.
Merchant Adventures
National Conscripts
Bureaucracy
National Trade Policy

So I took out a loan to enable me to build up a nice army for my next target.
eu31gz6.jpg

eu32rz8.jpg

Denmark and Norway. I’d happened on a nice core event earlier in the game and Denmark was sitting on it. I took this opportunity to try and get some nice tasty territory.
eu33qh7.jpg

Both offered pitiful resistance and were not in the HRE, making it possible for me to actually ask for territory in the peace settlements. I left Oldenburg in their possession to make a later war easier and less costly in terms of stability points. All in all, I got 6 new territories, quadrupling the size of my empire.
eu34wl6.jpg

eu36pp8.jpg

eu37eh0.jpg

I also got a new ruler who was crappy at foreign affairs.
eu35il4.jpg

I forgot to take a pic here but my BB is super high, so it’s time for a long stint of peace before I go out and do anything else. I’ll probably focus on consolidating my Dutch areas next.

comagoosie said:
You national Ideas vary. It does seem though that they focus on mostly trading. So I would stick with that and put your merchants to use!

Yep, I'm focusing on trading as you can see from my most recent post.

oddman said:
Due to no small amount of chauvinism, I am inordinately interested in this AAR. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Lord Blekinge said:
Nice to see Gelre rising in the world, I say build a strong kingdom in the low countries and then become a colonial power.

I would, but MMG really makes that difficult what with the stronger Holy Roman Empire. I'm tending to find other ways to expand outside of those territories.