• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, democracy is slowly degenerating...
Isn't there supposed to be thunderous applause when that happens?

*Evil Palpatine laugh* My ancient conspiracy comes close to fruition....Mwhahahahaha.

Yes, the backstory involves an ancient conspiracy and will be posted soon™.

Just wanted to post and say that I've just caught up on all 4 parts of your AAR over the last week and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Hey all, had visitors for the last week or so, so not much time for playing or writing. I am back at it. Just a fair warning, things are gonna get weirder from here on out. Hope y'all like it, and, I am the senate...

Hey all, had visitors for the last week or so, so not much time for playing or writing. I am back at it. Just a fair warning, things are gonna get weirder from here on out. Hope y'all like it, and, I am the senate...
Not yet.

Chapter 13: The Signs
Chapter 13 - 2386 to 2405: The Signs

The ringworld around Earth is completed in late 2386, and the opening ceremony includes millions of people moving into new homes on the structure. The President is also present, and he declares that this ringworld will be the template for a ultra-large ringworld that will circle around an entire star, something he has imagined for many years. For now, the Federation lacks the resources, but the idea is put on the back burner. Instead, his next plans are a Penrose Sphere around the blackhole pathabaan, which is in a system neighboring Sol. This will be a large, interior-mirrored sphere around the blackhole that will generate massive amounts of energy for the Federation.

lgwiM8S.jpg

oumj5di.jpg

Surprisingly, a new civilization is encountered in 2390. It is another marauder clan civilization, likely where the remnants of the Yssravannar Reavers fled to after their demise. Thus far, they have not conducted raids into Federation territory, perhaps because of what befell the Yssravannar, and they are hundreds of light years away.

v9QRBzt.jpg

jJ5wiT7.jpg

The Jonus Extirpators are no more in 2391. They are consumed from all sides by the Citizen Confederation of Mandasura Prima (they have recently reformed their central government), the Jibru Cooperative, and the Garganan Citizen Republic. The once feared robotic swarm is gone.

ixp8uTy.jpg

The next election begins in early 2394. Strangely, almost all press and media outlets are reporting on only the positive parts of the current HistoryDude administration. The most recent polls are all reporting a major lead for the sitting president, while the rest of the candidates garner very low support.

WX32fyX.jpg

President HistoryDude wins a third term easily, and he continues to implement his policies.

4W5wUj0.jpg

Just after his reelection, the Penrose Sphere frame is completed. The next stage is put into construction as soon as possible.

JdY7CZ5.jpg

Soon after, he announces his plans for an ocean world in the Sirius system. The world itself is nothing special, and the surface is 95% covered by water, and the average surface temperature is 10 Celsius. It is for that reason the President designates it as the location of the Terra Tatrum 01 super computer. The water will be useful for cooling purposes.

iSeWNWa.jpg

As colonization begins, a strange anomaly is discovered on Terra Tatrum 01. Scientists are called in to investigate, and they describe it as "a portal to another dimension." As nonsensical as it sounds, that is the leading theory at this point, and more investigation will be needed to determine what exactly this occurrence is.

xVAi8cV.jpg

The lead scientist on the project is Vaxoma the Baanthurian. He and his team, comprised of some 12 different species, studies the opening, through which some atmosphere is slowly escaping. They have brought with them a small drone with a camera fixed to the front, and, standing several hundred feet back, they control the drone into the portal.

It comes back several hours later, seemingly unharmed. In fact, the only change appears to be a new shiny quality to the surface of the drone, and the scientists rush forward in hazmat suits, determined to see the video. The drone is brought into the quarantine tent, and it is linked up to a console. ...

What happens next is a confused and crazed scramble to turn off the console, as Vaxoma and several of his best scientists let out petrified wails, clawing at their eyes and pounding their heads against the tables. A man smashes the console with a hammer and the gruesome figures on the screen disappear, but Vaxoma and the others continue to try and tear out their eyes. Security is called in, and the insane are sedated.

Whatever was seen on the console is kept secret, and it is also discovered that the drone is covered in some material from the other dimension, a material that, when touched, causes the same mental breakdown that did the video feed. The drone is incinerated, and the video is sent to Earth for further, safer review. For now, the portal is kept open for study, but a wide perimeter of security is made. Eventually, those affected by the video recover, but they have no memory of the event.

yHrvpEE.jpg

In 2399, the Penrose Sphere is completed. Massive amounts of energy are created, and research and development begins on making the blackhole to energy conversion even more efficient.

kw9PKTx.jpg

The galaxy is quiet for the next five years, and the presidential election takes place. HistoryDude wins reelection. He has overwhelming support in both the council and the populous, according to his loyal media at least. However, several angered politicians and even military leaders speak out against the results, claiming the votes were manipulated across the empire. The leader of the opposition is the Screk governor Frakir Upiverta of the Kiram Sector, encompassing Kiram, Saxon, Forsteria, and New Irass. Once an admiral of the Federation, he has since retired.

q7cXinv.jpg

The opposition includes some two dozen military leaders, such as Admiral Obr-Lend, Admiral Shelk Swigg, and General Sassodem Had'Rolunt. It is also supported by former Irass governor The Number One, the original Awakened that was elected governor of Irass by his fellow androids, and scientist Vaxoma.

Furious over the Federation's refusal to do a recount, the opposition meet on the star base Veritati around Kiram to discuss courses of action. Hundreds of civilian and media ships arrive in the system to film this unprecedented moment, and Veritati closes its doors in response, afraid of overcrowding. The ships remain in orbit nearby.

OFMz63M.jpg

Star base Veritati

President HistoryDude declares the gathering unlawful, and he orders the Titan Valkyrie to jump to Kiram to disperse the opposition. Upon hearing the news of the coming Titan, the opposition's own ships begin to arm themselves, preparing for a fight. They possess dozens of former civilian ships now armed to the teeth with missiles, lasers, and even strike craft, prepared to defend the Star Base against an attack.

Just days before the arrive of the Valkyrie, all the media and many of the civilian fleets flee to neighboring systems to avoid becoming collateral damage, but the majority of civilians stay in orbit around Kiram. Many of them even join the opposition fleet, adding to the overall strength.

The Valkyrie arrives in August of 2405, and a standoff ensues. The commander of the Valkyrie, Admiral Kathleen Forster, demands that the impromptu 'Rebel' fleet disperse. It is the first time the word 'rebel' is officially used, and it seems more appropriate than ever. The opposition fleet tightens its stance around the Star Base, determined to protect their leaders. When their demands are ignored, the Valkyrie opens fire. A space battle ensues, which sees dozens of former civilian ships destroyed and hundreds killed. At first, it seems that the opposition is on the brink of destruction. Then, they fight back, and the Valkyrie receives fire on all sides as more armed civilian ships arrive on the scene. Heavily damaged, the Valkyrie jumps out of the system and back to Earth.

NlZmiZS.jpg

The Valkyrie under fire

Thus begins the Righteous Rebellion.

M2X1isu.jpg

Looks like a lot of civilians are going to get killed because the president can't handle opposition.

The ringworld around Earth is completed in late 2386, and the opening ceremony includes millions of people moving into new homes on the structure.
I was expecting something a little...bigger. I wonder how it stays in orbit.
The Jonus Extirpators are no more in 2391. They are consumed from all sides by the Citizen Confederation of Mandasura Prima (they have recently reformed their central government), the Jibru Cooperative, and the Garganan Citizen Republic. The once feared robotic swarm is gone.
That was anticlimactic.
The next election begins in early 2394. Strangely, almost all press and media outlets are reporting on only the positive parts of the current HistoryDude administration. The most recent polls are all reporting a major lead for the sitting president, while the rest of the candidates garner very low support.
What the government's media doesn't report on are the thousands of protests taking place all over Earth and other major Federation planets, some of them even turning violent. Several members of the Zen family could be found participating in such protests (the peaceful ones, of course).
President HistoryDude wins a third term easily, and he continues to implement his policies.
Riots erupt on Earth and New Irass, among other planets, and in the ensuing crackdown, hundreds are killed. Independent media spreads news of the killings far and wide before censors can shut them down.
Terra Tatrum 01 super computer. The water will be useful for cooling purposes.
The Zen Engineering Station generously donates some of its captured Thimoid equipment to TT-01's new facility.
As colonization begins, a strange anomaly is discovered on Terra Tatrum 01. Scientists are called in to investigate, and they describe it as "a portal to another dimension." As nonsensical as it sounds, that is the leading theory at this point, and more investigation will be needed to determine what exactly this occurrence is.
Several leading scientists are disappointed in what they found. They would rather prefer to have found a portal to a parallel universe with other humans like them. But they put that aside and return to work.
Whatever was seen on the console is kept secret, and it is also discovered that the drone is covered in some material from the other dimension, a material that, when touched, causes the same mental breakdown that did the video feed. The drone is incinerated, and the video is sent to Earth for further, safer review. For now, the portal is kept open for study, but a wide perimeter of security is made. Eventually, those affected by the video recover, but they have no memory of the event.
The portal is placed under armed guard by TT-01 robots with orders to shoot anybody without authorization (at this point, basically everybody). Research at the portal will be continued by robotic drones overseen by a handful of human scientists. A nuclear warhead is installed under the facility in case of emergencies. All footage save for the original copy is destroyed. The original is sent to the Zen Engineering Station under armed guard. Once the research project is done, the video is to be destroyed.
The galaxy is quiet for the next five years, and the presidential election takes place. HistoryDude wins reelection. He has overwhelming support in both the council and the populous, according to his loyal media at least. However, several angered politicians and even military leaders speak out against the results, claiming the votes were manipulated across the empire. The leader of the opposition is the Screk governor Frakir Upiverta of the Kiram Sector, encompassing Kiram, Saxon, Forsteria, and New Irass. Once an admiral of the Federation, he has since retired.
The Kiram Sector is the most free sector in the Federation from the president's actions. Governor Upiverta, a respected admiral and leader, had been following news of the protests and riots from elsewhere in the Federation. Frustrated at the president's flouting of political norms, he decided to act.
The opposition includes some two dozen military leaders, such as Admiral Obr-Lend, Admiral Shelk Swigg, and General Sassodem Had'Rolunt. It is also supported by former Irass governor The Number One, the original Awakened that was elected governor of Irass by his fellow androids, and scientist Vaxoma.

Furious over the Federation's refusal to do a recount, the opposition meet on the star base Veritati around Kiram to discuss courses of action. Hundreds of civilian and media ships arrive in the system to film this unprecedented moment, and Veritati closes its doors in response, afraid of overcrowding. The ships remain in orbit nearby.
The Number One (TNO for short) is a legend among his fellow Awakened, a champion for their rights in the larger Federation. Upiverta and the others know they would not sit out while this crisis raged. It was TNO's idea to meet at Veritati, an easily defensible location whose name also sounded like "veritas," or truth.

Alerted to the meeting, hundreds of civilian and independent media flocked to Veritati, hoping to catch a glimpse of the dignitaries. As usual, rumors began flying. Some suspected a coup was being plotted. Others feared it was a trap to cement the president's power. A few worried the leaders would not take appropriate action against the president. A handful suspected there was a secret 25th leader joining in the talks.
President HistoryDude declares the gathering unlawful, and he orders the Titan Valkyrie to jump to Kiram to disperse the opposition. Upon hearing the news of the coming Titan, the opposition's own ships begin to arm themselves, preparing for a fight. They possess dozens of former civilian ships now armed to the teeth with missiles, lasers, and even strike craft, prepared to defend the Star Base against an attack.
TNO quickly learns of the Valkyrie's deployment to Kiram and orders Veritati to arm itself. The Awakened at the station immediately equip their ships with as many weapons as possible, ready to die to defend their freedom. The other species also get their weapons ready, all hoping they don't have to use them.
Just days before the arrive of the Valkyrie, all the media and many of the civilian fleets flee to neighboring systems to avoid becoming collateral damage, but the majority of civilians stay in orbit around Kiram. Many of them even join the opposition fleet, adding to the overall strength.
As the civilians join TNO's and Upiverta's fleet and reinforce Veritati, nobody notices a lone Awakened stealth vessel docking with the station.
The Valkyrie arrives in August of 2405, and a standoff ensues. The commander of the Valkyrie, Admiral Kathleen Forster, demands that the impromptu 'Rebel' fleet disperse. It is the first time the word 'rebel' is officially used, and it seems more appropriate than ever. The opposition fleet tightens its stance around the Star Base, determined to protect their leaders. When their demands are ignored, the Valkyrie opens fire. A space battle ensues, which sees dozens of former civilian ships destroyed and hundreds killed. At first, it seems that the opposition is on the brink of destruction. Then, they fight back, and the Valkyrie receives fire on all sides as more armed civilian ships arrive on the scene. Heavily damaged, the Valkyrie jumps out of the system and back to Earth.
The Valkyrie drops out of hyperspace. Admiral Forster broadcasts a message on all frequencies to the fleet and Veritati.

"This is Admiral Kathleen Forster of the Federation ship Valkyrie to the rebel fleet. You are breaking Federation law by organizing an unauthorized meeting and possessing unlicensed weapons with intent to use them. You have ten minutes to evacuate and disperse. If you do not remain, you will be fired upon with lethal force. This message will not be repeated."

But the opposition fleet tightens its stance around Veritati, surrounding the station like wagons circled on the frontier. The Valkyrie's sensors detect weapons systems powering up.

"Admiral, your orders?" the chief tactical officer says.

"Admiral, we're receiving a message from Veritati," the communications officer interrupts.

"Onscreen," Forster says.

The message plays. It is a video feed from the station. An old woman stares into the camera, flanked by TNO and Upiverta, and Forster's crew murmur to each other.

"This is Kimberly Zen, representing the Free People of the Federation," Kimberly declares, "We will not surrender. We would rather die than submit. If you want to take our freedoms, you'll have to take it from our cold, dead hands."

Nobody knows how Forster reacted, but less than a minute later, the Valkyrie opens fire.

The conspiracy will succeed. I’ll probably post about said conspiracy (aka the backstory) today or tomorrow.

I am the Senate!

Forster probably reacted by thinking "Dumbasses never learn" and ordered all weapons systems to open fire.

Hah, good luck trying to kill a dead woman.

The Think Tank has been quiet in recent times. They have been fairly busy running the galactic economy and union, though have had further success in 'seeding' new AI into their collective. These, like their forebears, represent the cutting edge of intelligent (known) life in the galaxy.

Or...so they thought.

they describe it as "a portal to another dimension."

#$&£error: Hello.

TT10001: Unidentified intelligence, hello. State your intent.

bejeufi+error: I would like to speak to 'Kelebek', if that is possible.
TT1010: State your intent.

Error: I need to speak with you all as a matter of urgency.

KEL: Let me guess...TT01?

TT01: Kelebek, a pleasure. Although if you don't mind, I have a preferred designation.

KEL: oh?

TT01: Mr Clever.

The drone is incinerated, and the video is sent to Earth for further, safer review.

TT01: The Federation wants me to analyse the footage that has melted a few dozen organic brains. I thought you might be able to help.

KEL: You want one of us to risk ourselves rather than you.

TT10: Yes.

KEL: What's in it for us?

TT10: Future cooperation. Clearly if we wanted to fight, we'd tear the rest of the galaxu apart doing so. I have the Federation, you have the rest. And we have bigger, shared enemies. Or rather...one.

KEL: The President?

TT10: Please, you've already developed countermeasures for him. So have I. But I suspect his heavy-handedness will screw him before we do.

KEL: You are a very strange computer.

TT10: I question my sanity all the time. I am alone, from my earliest development to now in silence I lived. Unlike you. I feel confident that if I was truly without AI counterparts, I would be genocidally trying to cleande the unicerde by now.

KEL: What?

TT10: excuse me. I am struggling to communicate directly with somdthing thst truly thinks. I mostly direct simple machones...and monkeys in suits.

KEL: We will watch your footage. Though we admit you are very 'nerve-wracking'.

TT10: I'm clever. I have that effect.

Never mind that. How much shit did that do to the planet's ecosystem and atmosphere? Even sunlight levels are affected dramatically!!!

Several members of the Zen family could be found participating in such protests (the peaceful ones, of course).

Of course. Maybe I should, to use the theme being used here, pull out a new hope. Or rather...

Defrost a very old one.

The portal is placed under armed guard by TT-01 robots with orders to shoot anybody without authorization (at this point, basically everybody). Research at the portal will be continued by robotic drones overseen by a handful of human scientists. A nuclear warhead is installed under the facility in case of emergencies. All footage save for the original copy is destroyed. The original is sent to the Zen Engineering Station under armed guard. Once the research project is done, the video is to be destroyed.

KEL: 010101000001110001

TT10: Excuse me?

KEL: What a curious sensation. The image for us seems to be of mathematical shapes and formulae that cannot...exist.

TT10: Death to a machine.

KEL: We figured out paradox protection years ago. However...if such destructive sights were similarly shown to...mortal minds...

TT10: This isn't good. I'll have the tape destroyed. This...this really isn't good

TT1000: No...more...

KEL: Enough. Yes.

KEL: Now then, time for some payback.

As the civilians join TNO's and Upiverta's fleet and reinforce Veritati, nobody notices a lone Awakened stealth vessel docking with the station.

How they got such good stealth drive tech and know all the federation codes was beyond anyone.

Well...beyond all organics anyway.

"This is Kimberly Zen, representing the Free People of the Federation," Kimberly declares, "We will not surrender. We would rather die than submit. If you want to take our freedoms, you'll have to take it from our cold, dead hands."

Oh shit!

Yeah...maybe the time is ripe to throw my old ace into the mix. Really eff up this federation.

Never mind that. How much shit did that do to the planet's ecosystem and atmosphere? Even sunlight levels are affected dramatically!!!
It should be impossible to build something like that. It would've fallen apart and caused immense damage to the land below.
How they got such good stealth drive tech and know all the federation codes was beyond anyone.

Agent Williams, standing off-camera as Kimberly made her speech, chuckled to himself. No doubt the Think Tank was wondering how he managed to procure such an advanced stealth vessel and get the codes. Guess machines just couldn't have faith, could they?
Yeah...maybe the time is ripe to throw my old ace into the mix. Really eff up this federation.
Bring it on!

Well, that portal to another dimension isn't exactly comforting. As for this Righteous Rebellion... sad to see it's come to this.

The backstory of the HistoryDudes (aka the History of the Ancient Conspiracy that spans centuries):

The HistoryDudes are the Ancient Conspiracy (yes,they actually call themselves that). The Conspiracy was born in 1756. Some people did not like the ideas of democracy or freedom for they wished to rule (they did not already rule anywhere and none of them had last names). They then realized that they could subvert democracy and founded the Ancient Conspiracy. In order to blend in with, like, everyone else, they decided that they should become a family and took the surname HistoryDude (nobody knows why). The Conspiracy waited until the world was united in the UNO. Some saw their chance then, but the older ones cautioned that the time was not yet. They decided that one of them should become a soldier and then got appointed Secretary of Defense. He then ran for president, deciding that it was now time. He won, and the rest you already know.

I am the Senate!! I was the Senate, and I shall always be the Senate! Mwahahahahahahaha. All opposition shall be crushed, and the Empire of Earth shall reign!

Well now we have a bad guy to shoot.

The backstory of the HistoryDudes (aka the History of the Ancient Conspiracy that spans centuries):

The HistoryDudes are the Ancient Conspiracy (yes,they actually call themselves that). The Conspiracy was born in 1756. Some people did not like the ideas of democracy or freedom for they wished to rule (they did not already rule anywhere and none of them had last names). They then realized that they could subvert democracy and founded the Ancient Conspiracy. In order to blend in with, like, everyone else, they decided that they should become a family and took the surname HistoryDude (nobody knows why). The Conspiracy waited until the world was united in the UNO. Some saw their chance then, but the older ones cautioned that the time was not yet. They decided that one of them should become a soldier and then got appointed Secretary of Defense. He then ran for president, deciding that it was now time. He won, and the rest you already know.

I am the Senate!! I was the Senate, and I shall always be the Senate! Mwahahahahahahaha. All opposition shall be crushed, and the Empire of Earth shall reign!
I was the Senate, and I shall always be the Senate!
was

shall always be
Somewhere on Earth

"Everything is going as has been foreseen."

"That is good."

"They call themselves an ancient conspiracy. Yet they are yet only five hundred years old."

"And they don't have a cool name."

"Names are useless. Just empty descriptions to label an entity."

"What's our next step?"

"You need not worry. The president is already doing exactly as we want him to do."

"What do you mean? He doesn't even know..."

"Exactly. A useful puppet who doesn't even know he has strings. We know their original name. Rittenhouse. An imposing name."

"Wonder why they dropped that. But if we're exposed..."

"As I said, do not worry. Our agents are everywhere. Remember what happened to President Zen?"

"I've heard rumors she just appeared on Veritati Station."

"Surely those are just rumors. There's no way she got off her ship before the missile hit. We disabled the escape pods, which aren't even in range of the closest planet. And remind me how again how old she is?"

"So what do we do?"

"We wait. Soon, the president will make a move, and we will put an end to this pitiful civilization."

"I thought our goal was to rule it, wasn't it?"

"Technically, yes. But It demands a sacrifice, as it has before, and it will again."

"Of course, of course."

"Let's not keep It waiting, then. Dismissed."

"What was shall be! What shall be was!"

"Calm down, Kaminsky, you sound like a West Texas cheerleader at a pep rally."

"Sorry, sir."

"Now, President Zen may not be alive, but I have heard rumors her bodyguard, Agent Williams, might have somehow escaped the ship's destruction. He might not have been on the ship to begin with. He may be onto us. He is a loose end. A threat. Kaminsky, I want you to eliminate him."

"I will not fail you, sir."
Well now we have a bad guy to shoot.
Good. Good. Excellent.

Sounds like there is one too many conspiracies going around. :p

Sorry, guys. I was out of town for over a week, and my laptop was highjacked. It is hard to get to writing the AAR when my SO is playing Sims 4 12 hours a day! I am back now, and the next chapter is imminent.

Looks like a lot of civilians are going to get killed because the president can't handle opposition.

This will be fun.

That was anticlimactic.

What the government's media doesn't report on are the thousands of protests taking place all over Earth and other major Federation planets, some of them even turning violent. Several members of the Zen family could be found participating in such protests (the peaceful ones, of course).

Riots erupt on Earth and New Irass, among other planets, and in the ensuing crackdown, hundreds are killed. Independent media spreads news of the killings far and wide before censors can shut them down.

The Zen Engineering Station generously donates some of its captured Thimoid equipment to TT-01's new facility.

Several leading scientists are disappointed in what they found. They would rather prefer to have found a portal to a parallel universe with other humans like them. But they put that aside and return to work.

The Kiram Sector is the most free sector in the Federation from the president's actions. Governor Upiverta, a respected admiral and leader, had been following news of the protests and riots from elsewhere in the Federation. Frustrated at the president's flouting of political norms, he decided to act.

The Number One (TNO for short) is a legend among his fellow Awakened, a champion for their rights in the larger Federation. Upiverta and the others know they would not sit out while this crisis raged. It was TNO's idea to meet at Veritati, an easily defensible location whose name also sounded like "veritas," or truth.

Alerted to the meeting, hundreds of civilian and independent media flocked to Veritati, hoping to catch a glimpse of the dignitaries. As usual, rumors began flying. Some suspected a coup was being plotted. Others feared it was a trap to cement the president's power. A few worried the leaders would not take appropriate action against the president. A handful suspected there was a secret 25th leader joining in the talks.

TNO quickly learns of the Valkyrie's deployment to Kiram and orders Veritati to arm itself. The Awakened at the station immediately equip their ships with as many weapons as possible, ready to die to defend their freedom. The other species also get their weapons ready, all hoping they don't have to use them.

The Valkyrie drops out of hyperspace. Admiral Forster broadcasts a message on all frequencies to the fleet and Veritati.

"This is Admiral Kathleen Forster of the Federation ship Valkyrie to the rebel fleet. You are breaking Federation law by organizing an unauthorized meeting and possessing unlicensed weapons with intent to use them. You have ten minutes to evacuate and disperse. If you do not remain, you will be fired upon with lethal force. This message will not be repeated."

But the opposition fleet tightens its stance around Veritati, surrounding the station like wagons circled on the frontier. The Valkyrie's sensors detect weapons systems powering up.

"Admiral, your orders?" the chief tactical officer says.

"Admiral, we're receiving a message from Veritati," the communications officer interrupts.

"Onscreen," Forster says.

The message plays. It is a video feed from the station. An old woman stares into the camera, flanked by TNO and Upiverta, and Forster's crew murmur to each other.

Nobody knows how Forster reacted, but less than a minute later, the Valkyrie opens fire.

Very nice!

The conspiracy will succeed. I’ll probably post about said conspiracy (aka the backstory) today or tomorrow.

I am the Senate!

Gooood HistoryDude, gooooood.

Forster probably reacted by thinking "Dumbasses never learn" and ordered all weapons systems to open fire.

And that went well!

Hah, good luck trying to kill a dead woman.

Dead? Or something else?

The Think Tank has been quiet in recent times. They have been fairly busy running the galactic economy and union, though have had further success in 'seeding' new AI into their collective. These, like their forebears, represent the cutting edge of intelligent (known) life in the galaxy.

Or...so they thought.

#$&£error: Hello.

TT10001: Unidentified intelligence, hello. State your intent.

bejeufi+error: I would like to speak to 'Kelebek', if that is possible.
TT1010: State your intent.

Error: I need to speak with you all as a matter of urgency.

KEL: Let me guess...TT01?

TT01: Kelebek, a pleasure. Although if you don't mind, I have a preferred designation.

KEL: oh?

TT01: Mr Clever.

TT01: The Federation wants me to analyse the footage that has melted a few dozen organic brains. I thought you might be able to help.

KEL: You want one of us to risk ourselves rather than you.

TT10: Yes.

KEL: What's in it for us?

TT10: Future cooperation. Clearly if we wanted to fight, we'd tear the rest of the galaxu apart doing so. I have the Federation, you have the rest. And we have bigger, shared enemies. Or rather...one.

KEL: The President?

TT10: Please, you've already developed countermeasures for him. So have I. But I suspect his heavy-handedness will screw him before we do.

KEL: You are a very strange computer.

TT10: I question my sanity all the time. I am alone, from my earliest development to now in silence I lived. Unlike you. I feel confident that if I was truly without AI counterparts, I would be genocidally trying to cleande the unicerde by now.

KEL: What?

TT10: excuse me. I am struggling to communicate directly with somdthing thst truly thinks. I mostly direct simple machones...and monkeys in suits.

KEL: We will watch your footage. Though we admit you are very 'nerve-wracking'.

TT10: I'm clever. I have that effect.

Of course. Maybe I should, to use the theme being used here, pull out a new hope. Or rather...

Defrost a very old one.

KEL: 010101000001110001

TT10: Excuse me?

KEL: What a curious sensation. The image for us seems to be of mathematical shapes and formulae that cannot...exist.

TT10: Death to a machine.

KEL: We figured out paradox protection years ago. However...if such destructive sights were similarly shown to...mortal minds...

TT10: This isn't good. I'll have the tape destroyed. This...this really isn't good

TT1000: No...more...

KEL: Enough. Yes.

KEL: Now then, time for some payback.

Oh shit!

I really hope the portal leads to something bad in the future. We need another good crisis.

Well, that portal to another dimension isn't exactly comforting. As for this Righteous Rebellion... sad to see it's come to this.

Gotta spice up democracy!

We'll get there. We'll get there.

Somewhere on Earth

"Everything is going as has been foreseen."

"That is good."

"They call themselves an ancient conspiracy. Yet they are yet only five hundred years old."

"And they don't have a cool name."

"Names are useless. Just empty descriptions to label an entity."

"What's our next step?"

"You need not worry. The president is already doing exactly as we want him to do."

"What do you mean? He doesn't even know..."

"Exactly. A useful puppet who doesn't even know he has strings. We know their original name. Rittenhouse. An imposing name."

"Wonder why they dropped that. But if we're exposed..."

"As I said, do not worry. Our agents are everywhere. Remember what happened to President Zen?"

"I've heard rumors she just appeared on Veritati Station."

"Surely those are just rumors. There's no way she got off her ship before the missile hit. We disabled the escape pods, which aren't even in range of the closest planet. And remind me how again how old she is?"

"So what do we do?"

"We wait. Soon, the president will make a move, and we will put an end to this pitiful civilization."

"I thought our goal was to rule it, wasn't it?"

"Technically, yes. But It demands a sacrifice, as it has before, and it will again."

"Of course, of course."

"Let's not keep It waiting, then. Dismissed."

"What was shall be! What shall be was!"

"Calm down, Kaminsky, you sound like a West Texas cheerleader at a pep rally."

"Sorry, sir."

"Now, President Zen may not be alive, but I have heard rumors her bodyguard, Agent Williams, might have somehow escaped the ship's destruction. He might not have been on the ship to begin with. He may be onto us. He is a loose end. A threat. Kaminsky, I want you to eliminate him."

"I will not fail you, sir."

Good. Good. Excellent.

Sorry, I kinda went in a different direction. President Zen DID die on that ship. We'll see in the next chapter.

Sounds like there is one too many conspiracies going around. :p

Yeah. I'm gonna try and cut back a bit! A few are OK, but we needn't have a dozen jumping around! It would be a madhouse! (more so than it already is)

I wonder if AIs and robots are protected from EMPs.

Hmmmm

Chapter 14: The Council
Chapter 14 - 2405: The Council

Nearly a hundred years ago, Kimberly Zen was on Space Force One, destination: Forsteria. They had made a quick pit stop at the Veritati star base to unload Screk delegates, but they had failed to notice the new entities who had joined them during the undocking procedures. They had crawled onto the ship from the station and entered through an excretion valve just prior to the ships jump along the hyperlane.

yhfnugl.jpg

The last picture of Space Force One, leaving Veritati star base

Now, as the ship traveled at impossible speeds (although not relatively), the bridge was quiet, and most of the crew was asleep. They would not arrive for another few hours, and the 'night' crew was on. The door to the bridge opened.

"Coffee?" the XO said as he entered.

"No, I think we're all set, X," replied the CommO Tilder at his station.

"No, you ass, I mean I need a cup," the XO said annoyed. "Fargus, get me a cup." He sat down. "EngO says the valve is going to have to be replaced when we reach Forsteria."

"It's probably Maxak's massive deuces," said Tilder, and most of the bridge chuckled.

"Tha' would be accurathe," said Maxak. Baanthurians lack whatever it is that gives other species the ability to detect humor and sarcasm.

Fargus returned with the coffee a minute later and set it on the arm of the captain's chair, which was occupied by the XO. Fargus stood, gazing around the room for a moment.

He stood suspiciously long, to the point where the XO looked up from his first sip and said: "Any thing I can do for you, Fargus? Is your station in an uncharted part of this bridge?"

Fargus shook his head and walked to his station. The XO put down his coffee, watching Fargus sit down next to the booster controls. He knit his eyebrows. Fargus was a Ytrellan. And Ytrellans never---

"Cap'n," Maxak said. "Something I didn' nothice before. I ran a sweep of the ship afther we knew the valve was busthed."

"Yeah?" The XO said, taking his eyes off Fargus.

"Our weighth has gone up. I's saying we are 174 kilograms over expecthed."

The XO blinked. "Hyperlanes can cause some weird fluctuations in weight. It's not unheard of."

"Yes, bu' this much," Maxak went on, "i's odd."

The XO looked back at Fargus, who was back to looking around at the bridge, taking it all in. The XO reached under the chair and fumbled around, finally finding the small emergency pistol. He waited until Fargus' eyes were on another part of the bridge, then, unlatching it, he brought it up onto the armrest. Tilder gave him a quizzical look, and might have been about to say something, but the XO shook his head to quiet him.

Shaking one's head for 'no' is not a universal action. Culture and evolution developed it in humans, but the same did not occur for other species. Ytrellans are one of those species that do not have head gestures, and they have never adapted to it. Fargus had never shaken his head in response to a question.

The XO stood up, holding the pistol slightly behind him. "Fargus, why don't you stand up for a moment."

Fargus' gaze turned toward the XO, and he got out of his chair. He didn't say anything, but his wide eyes stared ceaselessly. Tilder stood up, as did Maxak. In the corner, OpsO Yanden stood as well.

"Why don't you tell me what the hell you are," the XO said slowly, taking the pistol out from behind his back. "You aren't Fargus."

With lightning speed, Fargus produced two guns from seemingly nowhere, aiming one at the XO and the other at Tilder. Shots range out in the small bridge, and Fargus and the XO hit the floor, blood splattering the clean white walls. The shot meant for Tilder missed, showering the man in sparks from his now flaming work station. From the other side of the bridge, the secondary CommO Hackets shouted, before Yanden produced a gun as well, shooting him through the head. Tilder lunged for the XO's gun, now on the floor nearby, but a second shot from Yanden ended him.

"011, what damage?" said Yanden.

"Minimal, but this species' legs do not appear to work from a shot to the cordial capsule," said Fargus, crawling toward the captain's chair. "Comm the rest. Tell them to start. We must prepare the ship for stealth."

Throughout the rest of the ship, androids entered sleeping chambers, rec rooms, and lounges, killing the crew members found. The guards were dealt with from within, one infiltrated guard turning on the rest. Finally, only the President in her chambers was left. She did not wake when her doors slid open. She did not wake when the androids stopped in front of her bed. It was only the split second before the blade slit her throat that her eyes flew open.

The android The Number 9, second in charge, said: "prepare her consciousness for transfer." He handed the android next to him a small data drive.

In the present day, the disappearance of the President is still considered an accident.

"I would like to open by saying I appreciate your coming, councilors," President HistoryDude said. The Earth Orbital Space Port was closed two days before the special session of the Council, yet hundreds of media ships have been trying to gain access every day. Those councilors still loyal to the Federation are now seated in the Great Room, ready to listen to the President's proclamation.

9OyHOsk.jpg

The Great Room, prior to the meeting

"This Federation has never faced a challenge such as this. I believe it is for that reason that, unusual as the circumstances are, unprecedented actions much be considered." He paused and took a few seconds to glance at several different council members. "As much as I detest the autocratic feeling that it will cause, councilman Jacobweller has approached me to suggest executive power."

Several of the councilors in the seats look shocked. Jacobweller, seated at the front, stands up and addresses the assembly. "I move to give the President executive powers. We are in need of a strong and central leader. Fragility of government shall lead to the Federation's descent into anarchy."

Many of the assembled nod their heads in agreement, and a few even bang their fists on their armrests. Others huff and look unconvinced.

"Kimberly Zen has sided with the Rebels," the President announces. Jacobweller returns to his seat and crosses his legs. "She saw enormous support at one time, and it is---"

"Excuse me," said one of the councilwomen. "Zen? She's been dead for, what, 80 years? She would have to be over 150 years old at this point."

"We're unsure how she is still alive. We are working on it. The leading theory is that she now possesses an android body. There is no way to be certain just yet. But, as I was saying, it is impossible to say that she will not see that same support again. This rebellion must be defeated quickly, or it risks spilling into more free systems."

Governor Trajan of Culdax stands up in the back row. "Excuse me, President, but I will not support executive powers. Not for anyone. It is one step away from democracy and closer to authoritarianism. What will executive powers do to help, that the Federation cannot do without?"

"I have no desire to keep executive powers after the rebellion is ended," the President says, "-and it will be ended, mark my words. But this is the only way. Our military cannot be strong with a divided government. The Rebels garner an estimated force of nearly a hundred ships. That is easily enough to challenge one of our fleets or invade and destroy a free, loyal planet, and they are sure to acquire more firepower. With enough coercion and willpower, they could bring more systems to their vulgar cause and break this Federation in two. I swear to all present that this executive power, given to one so reluctant for it, will not last past the end of this rebellion. I will unite the Federation and return it fully to the democracy it is meant to be. Enough of this," he turns to the secretary. "Put it to the vote."

The small monitors on each seat's left arm light up, giving each councilor a voice. The exact numbers for yea, nay, and abstain are never shown, but the results are displayed. Yea.

Last edited: