• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Establish communications.

Option A

Hmm, sounds familiar...are there any fully operational battle stations moons nearby?:p

That's very weird. I though Europa was mostly water, with a thick layer of ice covering it. Maybe they're just tunneling through the ice.:D

1, no question.

I loved finding an Aulduraan system! Also, Europa's surface is, I think, completely covered in ice/water, but the majority of it is rock. I'm guessing these guys are tunneling through the rock and toward the ice/water.

They had been building their files for years. Found everyone in the UNO who was criminally corrupt, wicked or extremely anti-AI and Alien, and in a few days, took them all out using a variety of methods. Most of these 'accidents' remain buried by the Federation. Everyone left in Humanity's circle of power comprises of moderates, the exceptionally talented, and the wary. Most assume this is exactly what the Think Tank wants.

The Think Tank itself designs and builds a large space station in Earth's orbit to house the GA, in collaboration with many alien races. It is designed to house and protect the heads of state and governance across the galaxy, and be moved to wherever the GA needs it to be. Kelebek has also taken command of what he calls an 'exploration vessel', and what the humans call 'theft'. The Enterprise remains docked at the newly completed station, but as it continues to be upgraded and resupplied, the Federation believes either the Think Tank is going to give it back to them at some point or Kelebek is going somewhere personally.

The reports after the battle confirmed that the pirates had at least in part been set up, as had the Federation fleet. The enemy force was nowhere near the size initially observed, and their operations had been underway for less than two Terran months. The Think Tank does not comment. The Federation understands they do not believe in lying pointlessly. Either people believe the pirates were acting alone, or they know that the TT had something to do with it.

! Okay, did not expect that.

Very cool. There needs to be some grand alliances in space.

Proving the superiority of artificial life.

Making everyone connected to the wider galactic economy should make peace easier and war harder. At least in theory. Unfortunately, machine races need faaaar fewer resources than squishies.

TT10: We are dreaded?
KEL: I believe it is because we are competent. And...evil.
TT101010: To some degree.
TT10: Not very much.
KEL: Sure.

"Look, I don't want to be here any longer than I have to so will you please just give us some straight answers?"
Kelebek inclined his head. "We believe we 'owe you that much'." He twitched his head to the side and smiled, "Ask your questions. Or give me your options."

KEL: Thoughts?
TT1000: More data required.
TT10: Is that a yes?
TT1000: …
TT1000: …
TT1000: ...yes.
KEL: That looked painful.
TT101010: It's in the middle of analysing all we know about Europa. Be nice.
KEL: What about you then?
TT101010: I think we're being thrown a...'curve ball' again.
TT10: No evidence before this time.
KEL: Agreed. Is this a good sign?
TT10: Possibly. At the very least, the Greater Intelligence is playing with us now, not trying to ruin us.
KEL: The arrival of robotic empires concerns me.
TT101010: We are still out on joining them?
KEL: I do not believe it to be wise. Yet.
TT1000: They seem oddly detached. As if controlled.
TT10: Would stand up to what we have observed of the Intelligence's effect on us.

Kelebek smiled. He allowed three seconds to pass so it appeared to human eyes as if the question had been pondered seriously. It had, of course, but they were still afraid of how fast AI was. "We think this is probably a good idea. Intelligence is presumed, but the mystery of how they remained undetected and why they return to the surface now must be revealed."
"Would it compromise the security of the Solar System?"
"Yes." Immediate. This one is obvious.
"Then why-"
"There is no such thing as security in space. The other races know where you live. Space is relatively empty of objects and there is nothing to slow a projectile down. They can shoot at you from extremely far away and hit you in a few million years if they wish. There is no such thing as a secure border when space is three dimensional and easily travelled through."
"So..."
"So, you should talk to whatever it is. Kill them later if you wish. But might I suggest, that forming the GA implied something about your species that a blind genocide would go against quite extremely."
"You son of a-"

TT1000: I have some theories on the Europa life forms. Get rid of him.
KEL: Done.

TT10: What did you find.
TT1000: Read.

TT101010: Wait...

TT10: Interesting.
KEL: What did I miss?

Some time later

KEL: By the way, how is progression going on the nursery?
TT10: Well.
TT1000: Satisfactory.
TT10: We should have a few new minds in mere months.
KEL: Excellent. And TBC?
TT101010: Remains on the Enterprise. I still don't quite understand your idea though.
KEL: It's a work in progress.

Interesting.

At the moment, there are maayyybe 3 robotic worker pops on the more desolate planets in the Federation. For the moment, they are mindless drones, but once I research better technologies, we'll have to decide exactly what to do with them. I don't really think it's wise to have a whole bunch of them, with the Think Tank being such a big part of the AAR.

Preemptive Strike

Too many species have been hostile, we cannot take the risk of having another one in our back yard

That's true. Lots of species hate our guts for no reason, but that's just how Stellaris is!

The Religious Order of the Dark Star is the first galactic casualty... we all know it won't be the last, regardless of what humanity and its allies do.

As for my vote: (A) Establish Communications. President Anguish won't end his political career wiping out a potentially peaceful alien race.

It is sad when a civilization is wiped out before we ever really interact. And for all I know, other empires have been wiped out before we had the chance to meet them.

What a good president!

Establish communications obviously. You can get some good stuff out of that

Strange how many leaders died, but that happens a lot about 60 yrs in. The FoE is looking good.

That's what happens when every leader is over the age of 100. I've gotten some younger blood in since the string of deaths, luckily.

Thanks to everyone who voted! I know the chapters are not coming out as consistently as previous parts. March is a really busy time of the year for me.

Also, Europa's surface is, I think, completely covered in ice/water, but the majority of it is rock. I'm guessing these guys are tunneling through the rock and toward the ice/water.
Oh, I forgot that part. Guess it does make sense after all.

Oh, I forgot that part. Guess it does make sense after all.

Europa is a normal rock moon, it's just really far from the sun and weirdly, covered in ice. We don't know enough about the interior of the planet to know how warm it is under that ice...but in all honesty, light/heat+water tends to equal life on earth, so if anywhere in the solar system was going to have life on it aside from Earth, it would be there...

Europa is a normal rock moon, it's just really far from the sun and weirdly, covered in ice. We don't know enough about the interior of the planet to know how warm it is under that ice...but in all honesty, light/heat+water tends to equal life on earth, so if anywhere in the solar system was going to have life on it aside from Earth, it would be there...
I mean, Mars and Titan seem like good bets as well.

I mean, Mars and Titan seem like good bets as well.

For unknown intelligent life i mean. Microbes might still exist on mars but we should have found anything larger than that by now. Titan is more of a possibility yes.

For unknown intelligent life i mean. Microbes might still exist on mars but we should have found anything larger than that by now. Titan is more of a possibility yes.
Oh, certainly, Europa is a candidate for intelligent life. It would be very different from the life we know on Earth though.

For me, Mars feels like a tomb world, in that it could have had potential for life, but now seems barren. Although that is an Earth centric view and would not fit with
the game.
It very likely had microbial life at some point in the past. But its atmosphere was blown away by the solar winds, so life never got beyond that point.

Hey guys. I promise another chapter is in the works! It’s just difficult to find much time to play! I have most of it written, so it should be posted in a couple of days.

Hey guys. I promise another chapter is in the works! It’s just difficult to find much time to play! I have most of it written, so it should be posted in a couple of days.
Looking forward to it!

Chapter 6: Galactic Wars
Chapter 6 - 2273 to 2286: Galactic Wars

In the early 2270's, the technology of the Federation has increased to the point of "near immediate" communications. To send a message from Alpha Centauri to Earth, some 4 to 5 light-years apart, now takes about 24 hours. However, this meant that live news exists only in individual systems. This is why some colonies did not receive news of the subterranean discoveries on Europa until after the President's plans are made. Earth is the first to hear of the President's plans for Europa, on April 5th, 2273.

In a widely circulated news article, evidence is given of subterranean life on Europa, as well as that the aliens are tunneling toward the surface. Kelebek is also cited, speaking for the Think Tank, as answering the question of whether to make contact with the foreign species with "we think this is probably a good idea." A majority of the counselors agree that communications should be made before Earth thinks of blowing them to smithereens, and so the endeavor begins. Federation technicians and troops are deployed to Europa to drill into the crust of the moon and prepare to meet the aliens. It is the beginning of Project Depths.

Finally, a year after Project Depths began, contact is made. Communication is difficult to establish, but the foreign language is translated. Apparently, this civilization below the surface has survived off of lichen farms and fish from underground rivers. Upon hearing the sounds of cities on the surface, they came to investigate. They agree to living in peace on the planet, and arrangements are made to trade with them. Still, what the other race looks like or how they behave, or even whether they can be trusted, is unknown.

FeArhZl.jpg

CB55VK1.jpg

As trade begins to flow, the military leaders of the subterranean civilization request military technology in exchange. Despite some misgivings, a few rudimentary and out-dated weapons systems are handed over.

BlvDGLE.jpg

The Galactic Assembly, headed by the Think Tank, moves locations in early 2275. They relocate to the Cirrulan home world of Cirra. Their motives for moving there are not known. They also put forward the second issue for voting: sanctions on the Lilarobius Triad. "To stop these mindless swallowers of the universe, their access to necessary goods and materials must be hindered."

mNqUuAt.jpg

The GA arrives around Cirra just as the next election for president of the Federation begins. Clark Anguish runs for another term, as does, surprisingly, the 113 year old Kate TBC. Edward Nikolaevich runs independently, Greg Roux runs for the Institute for the Advancement of Science. It looks like it will be an easy victory for President Anguish.

IwKG6VY.jpg

Clark Anguish wins another term as president in August of 2276. A few months later, Kate TBC passes away. A space funeral is hosted, and thousands of private and government ships take part in saying goodbye to the beloved leader.

H6MN0Rb.jpg

The vote passes to put sanctions on the Triad. The Federation prays that will lessen their ability to carry out hostile actions against it and its allies.

ILuCSGP.jpg

War in the galaxy gets closer to home in 2280, as the Vissari State invades the Uri Accord. They failed to state a reason for their invasion, but it seems it is territorial-based. To the Uri's defense is the Klaggian Star Dynasty, which promised to protect the tiny empire in case of a Vissari invasion.

qTJ3iL3.jpg

Soon after, and right next door to Earth, the Steel Bank goes to war with the Cilxtac Reavers. War is expanding, despite the Think Tank's initial calculations that interstellar war is nonsensical.

gd5oOo8.jpg

Later that year, two previously unknown empires contact Earth. They are old, powerful, hugely technologically superior civilizations. The first is next to the Jibru Cooperative and is called the Kalaxenan Ancients; they are fanatically obsessed with alien life. Right next to the Uri are the Thimoid Watchers; they are fanatically religious. They must harbor hugely ancient and advanced technologies, to have been able to evade detection for so long. They are peaceful for now.

cCgwCfu.jpg

uhr1Lzk.jpg

The Jibru Cooperative joins in on the fun. Although usually very peaceful, the empire declares war on the Nagyari Pious Covenant. Their reason for the war comes down to many deadly border skirmishes between them and the Nagyari forces in the conclave border territories. Now the Nagyari are at war on two fronts. The galaxy is descending into war, but so far Earth has remained out of it.

fGz9Bd4.jpg

The next 2 years are uneventful, other than the Lilarobius' declaration of war on the Kirillian Empire, and the Cartel put forth a vote to ban slavery in the universe. The policy would punish those who continue the act by trade tariffs. Many empires are unhappy with the notion, but it passes a few months later.

zH5Jy1B.jpg

The subterraneans on Europa keep up the consistent trade for several years before they request anything else from Earth. In 2284, a delegation from the aliens informs Earth of an ongoing famine in the civilization, and they request aid. Earth gladly accepts, since the stockpile of food is overflowing.

FKFqkH6.jpg

The Lilarobius invasion of the Kirillian Empire ends in 2286, and most the Kirillian Empire is swallowed by the Lilarobius. From reports, tens of millions died in the conflict, and still hundreds of thousands more die in the ensuing occupation and annexation. Now, the Triad is more powerful than the Cartel.

4yWient.jpg

With that in mind, they declare war...

Eb0r8TS.jpg

War ... always an opportunity

The Galactic Assembly, headed by the Think Tank, moves locations in early 2275. They relocate to the Cirrulan home world of Cirra. Their motives for moving there are not known. They also put forward the second issue for voting: sanctions on the Lilarobius Triad. "To stop these mindless swallowers of the universe, their access to necessary goods and materials must be hindered."

KEL: As it turns out, you can buy a civilization.
TT1010: We did have to liquidate four of the seven major crime families to do that.
TT1000: Error. Three families. The fourth was absorbed into the survivor clans.
KEL: And now we own the Cartel.
TT1010: Basically.
KEL: They're upgrading the ship and station as we speak so we should go over future plans now.

Clark Anguish wins another term as president in August of 2276. A few months later, Kate TBC passes away. A space funeral is hosted, and thousands of private and government ships take part in saying goodbye to the beloved leader.

Kelebek attended as a representative of the Think Tank and Galactic Assembly. He narrowly avoided a fistfight with several TBC family members who demanded their patriarch be returned to them. The original TBC remains on ice within the GA capital station.

Soon after, and right next door to Earth, the Steel Bank goes to war with the Cilxtac Reavers. War is expanding, despite the Think Tank's initial calculations that interstellar war is nonsensical.

KEL: Okay, now this really doesn't make any sense.
TT1010: Banks do profit from war, but only when the war is far away and doesn't involve them personally.
KEL: They already run the galactic economy...why are they fighting like this?

Later that year, two previously unknown empires contact Earth. They are old, powerful, hugely technologically superior civilizations. The first is next to the Jibru Cooperative and is called the Kalaxenan Ancients; they are fanatically obsessed with alien life. Right next to the Uri are the Thimoid Watchers; they are fanatically religious. They must harbor hugely ancient and advanced technologies, to have been able to evade detection for so long. They are peaceful for now.

The Think Tank was later approached by black cell groups from each civilization claiming to have important information relevant to the stability of the galaxy. These cells have since vanished without a trace but worryingly for Federation intelligence, the Think Tank has been mum on the topic of conversation.

the Cartel put forth a vote to ban slavery in the universe. The policy would punish those who continue the act by trade tariffs. Many empires are unhappy with the notion, but it passes a few months later.

KEL: Well that should bankrupt a few of the threats to galactic peace, and improve living conditions almost everywhere else.
TT1000: Eventually.
KEL: A century isn't so long to wait.
TT1010: For progress? Not too bad. For organics? A little slow.

The subterraneans on Europa keep up the consistent trade for several years before they request anything else from Earth. In 2284, a delegation from the aliens informs Earth of an ongoing famine in the civilization, and they request aid. Earth gladly accepts, since the stockpile of food is overflowing.

The Federation is pleasantly surprised that there is no sign this is in anyway going to blow up in their faces. Sometimes the universe just gives you a good roll.

Well, I've got all the faith in the Think Tank now considering they wanted to impose tariffs on the Triad and now we're at war with the overreaching foe. It's sad that we've been put in this situation, but we can at least make the best of it and come out a stronger empire by the end.

Quite happy relations with the subterranean aliens are going well. I'm sure things will stay that way if we keep having faith in them. As for these Fallen Empires... something to keep an eye on.

Well, I've got all the faith in the Think Tank now considering they wanted to impose tariffs on the Triad and now we're at war with the overreaching foe. It's sad that we've been put in this situation, but we can at least make the best of it and come out a stronger empire by the end.

Quite happy relations with the subterranean aliens are going well. I'm sure things will stay that way if we keep having faith in them. As for these Fallen Empires... something to keep an eye on.

And all it took was taking over one crime syndicate and bankrupting another.

KEL: As it turns out, you can buy a civilization.
TT1010: We did have to liquidate four of the seven major crime families to do that.
TT1000: Error. Three families. The fourth was absorbed into the survivor clans.
KEL: And now we own the Cartel.
TT1010: Basically.
KEL: They're upgrading the ship and station as we speak so we should go over future plans now.

Kelebek attended as a representative of the Think Tank and Galactic Assembly. He narrowly avoided a fistfight with several TBC family members who demanded their patriarch be returned to them. The original TBC remains on ice within the GA capital station.

KEL: Okay, now this really doesn't make any sense.
TT1010: Banks do profit from war, but only when the war is far away and doesn't involve them personally.
KEL: They already run the galactic economy...why are they fighting like this?

The Think Tank was later approached by black cell groups from each civilization claiming to have important information relevant to the stability of the galaxy. These cells have since vanished without a trace but worryingly for Federation intelligence, the Think Tank has been mum on the topic of conversation.

KEL: Well that should bankrupt a few of the threats to galactic peace, and improve living conditions almost everywhere else.
TT1000: Eventually.
KEL: A century isn't so long to wait.
TT1010: For progress? Not too bad. For organics? A little slow.

The Federation is pleasantly surprised that there is no sign this is in anyway going to blow up in their faces. Sometimes the universe just gives you a good roll.

I'm not sure what mod the subterraneans are from, but I quite like them! It is a neat idea, for sure.

As one who has not had very long playthroughs of Stellaris, I'm really surprised at how all-powerful the Fallen Empires are. Each fleet of theirs has a minimum of 70k military power. We won't be able to take one of them on for a looooong time.

Chapter 7: The Turf War
Chapter 7 - 2286 to 2300: The Turf War

The Federation offices are a mess in July of 2286, as news of the Triad invasion of the Cartel is received. The next election, set to take place later this year, is suspended indefinitely. This will be the first Federation war, and all resources must go to defeating the foe. Strangely, the Think Tank is rather quiet about the war. As it begins, the Galactic Assembly Station slowly and deliberately leaves the Cartel and restations itself around the Jibru capital planet of Buvhondonia. The Jibru have not joined the war, despite the Cartel's being invaded, for they are still waging war against the Nagyari.

Right now, the Federation Fleet stands thus: 1st Fleet, commanded by Admiral Mixrodem, with 19 corvettes, 8 destroyers, and a frigate; 2nd Fleet, commanded by Admiral Tidarulek, a former raider fleet of immense power for its size; and 3rd Fleet, commanded by Admiral Idhrendur, with 18 corvettes and 10 destroyers. Immediately, 1st and 2nd fleet are deployed to the Cirrulan-Lilarobius border, while 3rd fleet is left to defend in case of Vissari or Steel Bank intervention. Each ship has recently been upgraded with a new generation of defensive tech: shields. In addition, new UV lasers, plasma accelerators, and coilguns were designed. Earth now has one of the most powerful fleets on this side of the galaxy. In addition, earlier this year a new class of military ship, called a cruiser and based upon a recovered raider ship, was developed. Several are put into production as the war begins, but it will be over a year before they enter service.

X3U75QG.jpg

2nd Fleet arrives in Hithram, a border system, just as a massive Triad fleet enters the system. The enemy fleet is twice as large of the Federation's, yet combat does not go terribly. 2nd Fleet loses one ship, while destroying two Triad ships, but others sustained such bad damage that it was obvious the combat would not go in the Federation's favor. The Fleet retreats.

8qGjNn3.jpg

fsprnSQ.jpg

Just after the defeat, the main, yet minuscule, Cartel fleet arrives. Just behind them is 1st Fleet, but they arrive too late to save the Cartel fleet, which is completely wiped out. 3rd fleet is called forward to enter the fray, leaving the borders with the Bank and the Vissari wide open.

1st Fleet draws out the enemies, which have been staying close to the occupied station, and engages. It is more rough combat, and several ships are lost on both sides before the retreat is made by the Federation Fleet.

QH5j9BP.jpg

FuwJ286.jpg

The Cartel planet of Garbex is blockaded a few months after the defeat, and orbital missiles start devastating the surface. Countless die in the Lilarobius bombardment, which disregards military objectives and aims for the largest centers of population.

Ui9iixg.jpg

On the other side of the Triad, a coalition of Mandasuran Tribe ships enter enemy territory and begin taking over stations one by one. It distracts the Triad enough to pull half of their invading fleets away from the Cartel.

o7jz5lK.jpg

Humans have the first face-to-face contact with the subterraneans of Europa in 2289, as a religious minority flees persecution by the ruling elites. They call their species Sirgogg, and they request asylum on Europa. At the same time, the rulers of the Sirgogg demand their extradition, calling them terrorists and criminals. Earth, the protector of the weak and persecuted, allow the Sirgogg minority to remain on the surface. But this angers the subterranean civilization to the point of halted trade.

L5VbBK5.jpg

cbn5im0.jpg

3rd Fleet and 2nd Fleet combine and return to Hithram to take back the occupied stations. No enemy fleets are encountered, and the station is raided and returned to the Cartel, with minimal damage done to Federation ships.

mS2Hecc.jpg

Next, Garbex's system is liberated. One human and 2 robot armies are landed, but the number of enemy divisions present is more than anticipated, and the planet remains in Triad hands. A larger army, however, is on its way.

cx4F1th.jpg

The Triad system of Ulassia is entered in 2291, and no one is sure where their main fleet went. The border system is very lightly defended, although several small enemy fleets are present in systems nearby.

MVGnQxi.jpg

Next, Hyshma is easily taken, the small fleet there fleeing to Faltus. Loza, the capital system of the Triad, will be the next target.

Sgnpahu.jpg

2nd Fleet destroys the small fleet defending Loza, occupies the station, and then blockades the capital. Orbital bombardment of military targets begins, hoping to weaken the defenses for a possible invasion. 3rd Fleet is sent back to Ulassia to defend against a reportedly large Triad fleet set to arrive in a few months.

P3OAXTu.jpg

No fleet arrives in Ulassia, and the transport ships are years out, so 2nd Fleet moves on to Faltus, a fairly well defended system. 3rd Fleet captures Geagawa and then heads to Obrium to destroy the Triad fleet stationed there. The enemy fleet evades combat and flees further into Triad territory.

ywxO850.jpg

A second invasion of Garbex begins, this time with 8 divisions of Human, Yidar, Screk, and robot soldiers. It is a very difficult invasion, with the Lilarobius being one of the strongest known sentient beings in the universe, but victory eventually comes.

HxiJNaR.jpg

What remains of the Triad's main fleet is finally found and engaged in 2295. Eight enemy ships are destroyed, and the rest scatter into Triad space. The enemy's fleet is now effectively destroyed.

C5wc2xN.jpg

95uoFfC.jpg

System after Triad system falls to the Federation and the Mandasura Tribes. By 2297, nearly two thirds of the enemy systems are in friendly hands. With this occupation of new systems, the influx of energy, minerals, and scientific research surges. The economy booms during the war and research and development progresses at an alarming rate.

It is almost with a sad tone that, in 2298, President Anguish declares to the Federation that the Triad has surrendered. Their entire fleet is decimated, as are the majority of their starbases. Heavy sanctions are put on the empire to pay for the war, especially to pay for the terrible damage they inflicted on Garbex, where millions upon millions were killed in the bombardment and subsequent occupation. Along with the sanctions, five border systems are annexed by the Mandasura Tribes. President Anguish announces that the next election will take place in a few years, but his success with the war and the prospering economy means his approval rating is through the roof. He may just be able to hold on to power a while longer.

UNvL1vf.jpg

Overall, the war saw tens of thousands of Federation deaths, but far fewer than predicted lost their lives. The war proves that Earth is ready and willing to wage interstellar war. No matter the opponent.

As 2300 rolls around, the Federation of Earth prospers. Its technology level now outstrips all other known empires but the Thimoid Watchers and the Kalaxenan Ancients. The fleet is more powerful than any neighboring empire. For the first time in decades, several new planets are looked at for colonization. However, the rest of the galaxy is not experiencing the same fortune. Thousands of light years away, the Quarantined invade the Garganan Citizen Republic, while the Jonus Extirpators attack the Klaggian Star Dynasty and the Tebbran Shipping Alliance. Many empires in other places of the galaxy are shattered and disorderly after years of war.

k4k76tL.jpg

The Federation is in a very strong position.