• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 36 - 1386 to 1397: The de Gael King

13 thousand Brits muster around the harbor of Scarborough. On July 23rd, 1386, they board the Fleet of York and set sail for the most northern island of Iceland. They will be reinforced by several thousand more eventually, but Loup III is anxious to send too many as winter nears.

They arrive in Vestisland in September and defeat the minuscule Icelandic defense of only 700 men, then the army splits into two, with 6 thousand led by the Duke of York, the Duke of Meath, and Commander Oscytel (who happens to be son of Jerkera) moving to besiege the main fort in Austislan, while the rest, led by Loup III and Commander Wigerich, remain in Vestisland. Meanwhile, 7 thousand more troops from Britannia land in Færeyar as reserves in case of Norwegian intervention.

wUt0MFd.jpg

In June of the next year, as the sieges continue in Iceland, the Infidels in the east have managed to wrest back control of Jerusalem. The Holy Lands were only in Christian hands for a short time...

TXdJlMz.jpg

The two sieges end at nearly the same time in August of 1387. Still, Norge has done nothing to stop the invasion.

Hilehsr.jpg

Finally, a massive fleet of 262 Norwegian ships is spotted headed for Iceland. The reserve troops are loaded onto the fleet and sent to reinforce the two in Iceland.

ADUjVTR.jpg

It is a fairly small army from Norge, less than 6 thousand, and they are defeated quickly. The 2 thousand survivors flee foolishly to Austisland where they meet the other half of the army. As this is happening, the final holdings in Iceland fall. Now the entire island is controlled by the Brits.

ykWcfoQ.jpg

Soon after the failed invasion, Danmark answers Norge's plea for help. A fleet of 60 ships lands 6 thousand Danish troops in Vestisland in April of 1388. The reserve army had embarked after the victory over the Norwegians, so all that was left was the 6 thousand man army led by Loup.

q3JVo12.jpg

It is a bloodier battle than the first, with over a thousand Brits dead or out of action. The remaining Danes, like their imbecilic friends the Norwegians, flee to Austisland. The result is quite synonymous.

1HvfOjy.jpg

Duke of Awesome reaches manhood in August. He is considered by all who know him to be the epitome of diplomatic skill. Despite his tendency to be shy, not a single acquaintance or friend (he has no enemies) has a thing to say against him. He is betrothed to a 10 year old princess of France.

BM0io62.jpg

Several more attacks from Norge are repulsed until 1390, when King Kolbein finally surrenders.

FeiCwcy.jpg

Britannia, the Empire of Islands, controls all Islands in the north Atlantic, Norge has been thrown back to its mainland borders, and Emperor Loup grants his son Sæweald the Duchy of Iceland.

FFXOGO2.jpg

Duke of Awesome and Princess Valence of France are married in March of 1392. She is as talented, if not more talented, than her new husband in diplomacy. A rumor that becomes a common joke spreads throughout the realm that she could lift her husband over her head.

mLDUbyr.jpg

Strangely enough, the Queen of France, who the King married after the death of his first wife, is Radekza de Gael, the great granddaughter of Emperor Loup II, and granddaughter of the first Radekza.

z0jtomL.jpg

In December of 1392, terrible news arrives in Norfolk from Iceland. Prince and heir of Britannia, Sæweald, has died of Consumption. The new heir to the Empire is his 5 year old son Eadric, the new Duke of Iceland.

FmYVWcw.jpg

Within weeks of Sæweald's death, his brother Beorhthelm dies after a long period of illness.

8eBJoMw.jpg

In October of the next year, Scipia comes of age. She is well trained the ways of diplomacy, and she is betrothed matrilineally to a young prince of Byzantium.

kTTBAes.jpg

In June of 1396, Prince Stingrex, brother of Emperor Loup, declares war on the King of Danmark, and sets sail for invasion with thousands of men in tow. Discreetly, Loup sends financial aid to his brother.

ySgcAyp.jpg

However, in August, Loup changes his mind and fully comes to his brother's aid. He declares support for his brother and sends the Britannic standing army of 5 thousand to Danmark. In recent years, Danmark has seen a reunion of west and east, although that reunion was through conquest. The Duke of Skane, who had declared independence, and won it, several decades ago, conquered and usurped the Danish throne in 1374. At the moment, the Danes are in the middle of a civil war, and the King's forces are in ruination.

EwGXeuf.jpg

The war is short and victorious. Several small battles and fallen holdings later and the King of Danmark is dethrone, captured while trying to escape his besieged capital of Helsingborg.

slsIJxM.jpg

Stingrex now stands as the Anglo Saxon, de Gael King of Denmark!

qYIlm7B.jpg

NOTE:
-By 'thousands of men in tow' I meant thousand... Singular... The dope only brought about 1700 troops with him to conquer Danmark.
-It is nice how Island was renamed to Iceland and Danmark to Denmark upon anglicizing.
-Once the Queen of Aquitaine dies, that will be 3 de Gaels on European thrones!
-I will be gone for a few days to an area with very little internet. That means don't expect an update before Monday. I was also packing while writing and editing, so I apologize for any mistakes!

Duke of Awesome, King of France. Make it happen, my friend!

Duke of Awesome is living up to his name, I see.

Also, I presume that Brittany and Normandy will be the next lands in the crosshairs? Alternatively, will we be taking the fight to Norge proper?

Your heir is a five year old, and Duke of Awesome has an amazing diplomacy score... The young boy may need to meet an unfortunate ending so a proper heir may become Emperor.

Installing a sibling as king is always nice, and you being his heir is even better. If it doesn't pass to you, you have an ally. If it does... no complaints.

Hail Stingrex! King by his own hand.

So with Iceland annexed where to next? With a new ally close at hand, the Scandinavian lands may be a good playground for the next 50 years.

Curious how Dunaden's descendants are faring, last we heard Ealdwulf was Duke of the Isles and Ulster, with 5 other half-siblings.

I've just read the AAR up to this point and have been enjoying it immensely. Can't wait till you set sail for the New World. Too bad you couldn't bring a random new world into Victoria 2.

Your heir is a five year old, and Duke of Awesome has an amazing diplomacy score... The young boy may need to meet an unfortunate ending so a proper heir may become Emperor.
Before the Duke of Awesome would come his elder brother, Andrew.

... provided he didn't go and join the Templars again. Did we get him married?

Another question - Have you been seeing my previous questions? You never seem to answer them.

Another question - Have you been seeing my previous questions? You never seem to answer them.
So my male line is dead or are there other male lines from further back alive that just didn't inherit? Good luck with Iceland. Will you go for Norge next?

I did check, but I forgot to put it in the NOTEs.

You do indeed have descendants of the male line of DKM, but none of them is named DKM. I believe a woman of your house, not of your male line, currently controls Gwynedd.

I presume that Brittany and Normandy will be the next lands in the crosshairs? Alternatively, will we be taking the fight to Norge proper?

I may not take lands in Europe for Britannia, but might instead try to install some more de Gaels on thrones. I can't remember but I might have a close relative with a claim on France.

Installing a sibling as king is always nice, and you being his heir is even better. If it doesn't pass to you, you have an ally. If it does... no complaints.

I can't see Loup III killing off his grandson! And I do not think Denmark will pass to me, but it gives me a good ally!

Hail Stingrex! King by his own hand.

Curious how Dunaden's descendants are faring, last we heard Ealdwulf was Duke of the Isles and Ulster, with 5 other half-siblings.

King by his own hand + Loup's gold and military forces!

I will put some info in the next update on Dunaden's family.

I've just read the AAR up to this point and have been enjoying it immensely. Can't wait till you set sail for the New World. Too bad you couldn't bring a random new world into Victoria 2.

Thanks! It would be pretty neat if rnw could convert into Vic2. The old New World will have to suffice!

Before the Duke of Awesome would come his elder brother, Andrew.

... provided he didn't go and join the Templars again. Did we get him married?

Don't you remember? He is married to the Queen of Aquitaine!

Reactions:
Don't you remember? He is married to the Queen of Aquitaine!
Why so I nearly forgot! Hm, I suppose if Andrew were to inherit, you'd get the lands in Aquitaine. Maybe better to not go down that way.

Just caught up! The Loupians are reigning strong across Europe! :)

"When legend becomes fact, print the legend." Stingrex's Chancellor/Public relations guru

History will speak of Stingrex's great triumph over an entire Kingdom with only a thousand men!

Just caught up! The Loupians are reigning strong across Europe! :)

They sure are!

So it turns out my internet is pretty darn good here, which is unexpected. But no new chapters until Monday or Tuesday since I only have my laptop.

Chapter 37 - 1397 to 1415: An Empire of Five

The Britannic troops return to Norfolk in December of 1397. The war was highly successful, with very little loss of life for the Brits. Now, Britannia has a very powerful ally to the east. However, the Danish vassals under Stingrex are not the most enthusiastic of subjects; the dukes of Skane and Sjælland are particularly displeased at the new rule of this foreign conqueror. Upon Stingrex's taking of the throne, Emperor Loup III promises his full support against any Danish dissidents.

In July of the year 1400, Duke Cynehelm of Galloway, son of BPM and cousin of Loup, approaches the Emperor with an idea. He has a weak claim on the Kingdom of Brittany and, with the help of Britannia, wishes to push it. The long since dead first of the de Gael rulers were Breton, so the de Gaels have always had a close affinity to the kingdom across the waters. Currently, the King of Brittany is a boy of 7 years. However, several of Loup's Councilors remind him of their earlier decision to not involve Britannia with the mainland, something that the Emperor seems to have forgotten. Loup ignores their protests and war is declared in August.

X361T0R.jpg

5 thousand Britannic levies are raised to join the 5 thousand of the standing army. The Queen of Aquitaine, wife of Prince Andrew, answers the call and mobilizes her troops. The 10 thousand Brits set sail for Brittany but are stopped short when 9 thousand Breton troops land in Dorset. 7 thousand Wessex troops are raised to join the 10 thousand and they engage the enemy.

1Hxx9So.jpg

It is a victory for Britannia, and the troops of Wessex are left to deal with the surviving enemies as the rest of the Brits load back onto the fleet for Brittany.

ZlJxlk4.jpg

They arrive in January of 1401 to a very subdued land. It seems the Queen of Aquitaine has destroyed the Breton armies that remained. The Brits head to the capital, Broerec and set siege to the Castle of Gwened. The siege ends in July.

GbyVGWv.jpg

Several more holdings fall throughout Brittany until May of 1402, when the young King Guihomarch and his regent (his mother) surrender their Kingdom.

YBYt9nx.jpg

At long last, after centuries of de Gael rulers, Britannia has taken Brittany. The Empire of Britannia now contains 5 kingdoms: England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, and Brittany.

RLaRk2y.jpg

In 1406, King Cynehelm dies after a long period of stress. He is succeeded by his son BPM II, now King BPM of Brittany.

zcNGBid.jpg

In November of 1407, Pope Sergius V calls for the 6th Crusade for Jerusalem. Emperor Loup, a veteran Crusader himself and a zealous Catholic, answers the call.

EQSWwsH.jpg

Men are raised in the 4 main kingdoms of the Empire, to a total of 32 thousand men. The troops are loaded onto a fleet on 350 ships and sent to the Holy Land.

ZnNscIp.jpg

They land in Acre in November of 1408, where they split into 2 armies of 16 thousand each. Duke Cynewulf of Hwicce leads one south to Jerusalem where he meets an enemy army of 6 thousand.

2RBF9mt.jpg

It is an easy victory. But, as the Arabs flee before the Britannic swords, word reaches Cynewulf of a large army of Muslims in Asqalan. He and the northern army, led by Duke Cenfus of York, meet in Arfus just as the Muslims intercept. The battle does not begin well for the Brits, despite an advantage of numbers. As Cynewulf and Cenfus prepare to order retreat to cut their losses, reinforcements arrive in the form of 13 thousand Knights Hospitaller troops.

9VfdoHN.jpg

It is the largest and most bloody battle that Britannic troops have ever experienced, with 15 thousand Brits out of action and 22 thousand enemies dead, dying, or captured. The armies split again, Cynewulf leading his to Jerusalem to take the city.

The first sieges end in December of 1409: Castle Mirabel of Jerusalem and Castle Arsuf.

7RqOfxu.jpg

The Crusade is won in June of 1410. It is a victory for Christianity, and Jerusalem is returned to its rightful ruler, the King of Castille. The surviving troops are loaded onto the fleet, and they set sail for home.

39xVprZ.jpg

4 years of peace later, Duke of Awesome asks his father for permission to join the Knights Templar. As a zealous man, Loup understands and gives his son his blessing to go.

lZShtm2.jpg

In May of 1415, Emperor Loup III dies at the old age of 69 years; he ruled for 44 long years. Now, his grandson Eadric 'Ironside' ascends to the throne of Britannia.

hY6yLjV.jpg

tLLmzLE.jpg

Upon his inheritance, Eadric calls together the Council of Britannia. Although he was, prior to this, only the Duke of Iceland, he heard many things from his fellow vassals. He knows their disinterest in outside affairs, especially Loup's acquisition of Brittany. They believe the Empire should be exclusive to the Atlantic islands and not include mainland territories. Eadric, a just and noble man, gives the councilors a voice in the matter. He is willing to grant King BPM of Brittany independence, should he desire it, if the vassals are to have a majority vote for it. Of course, Brittany will remain as a close ally of Britannia's with assistance in most defensive and internal wars, but they would no longer be a part of the Empire.

Vote (please comment either A or B):

Brittany should...

(A) remain in the Empire

(B) be granted independence

The vote will end Tuesday 10:00 AM EST

NOTE:
-Somehow Loup's wife died without my noticing!
-This may well be the last ruler of the CK2 portion. It is a damn shame he doesn't have a cool name...
-Loup III had one hell of a life! He managed to position the de Gaels quite nicely to control many kingdoms in Europe! He also had one of the longest rules.
-I realize after I wrote and edited this that I possibly forgot to check on some family lines. I will look back through the comments and add them to the next chapter's NOTEs, or maybe I will just post a short comment.
-The Empire's total troop count (should I raise them all) is about 51K men, the second largest in the known world!

Is it possible to give them de facto independence, but still keep them in the empire? For instance, release them now but have them as a vassal state in EU4.

EDIT: Also, I hope I at least become grand master, if nothing else.

Is it possible to give them de facto independence, but still keep them in the empire? For instance, release them now but have them as a vassal state in EU4.

I could just release them in EU4. They can remain in the Empire in CK2.

I vote A. But only on one condition.. BPM II (and his descendants) are quite clearly the rightful rulers of France. Bring France into the de Gael fold!

(B) be granted independence

Any chance of invading Denmark or Norway?