• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You were lucky with the Mongols but sometimes, you need luck to do great things. Or maybe, God was really on your side. :)

Obviously, naming a character "Loup" in CK2 gives great stats. I should try one day. :p

Reactions:
Why is Wessex the capital of Jerusalem?

Nice Chapter, lucky the Mongals withdrew from the Crusade. :) Out of interest how is the De Hautville dynasty going?

I'll have to look. I will put it in the next chapter's NOTEs

I died an inbred freak...that made me laugh harder than it should have.

It was pretty unfortunate, albeit funny! I believe one of your daughters is also inbred.

Excellent to see that Sicily, that ancient bastion of Catholicism, is back where it belongs under Hungarian rule. Worrying to see the Mongols convert, as others say – although one would hope that as Britain you wouldn't have too much course to actually interact with them.

They have not expanded their borders for decades, so it seems they will remain in Eastern Europe, far away from Britannia. I guess the only worry is if they join any Jihads or Crusades. It's a shame that they are so much weaker than in previous versions of the game... I miss seeing the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate wreak havoc.

To everyone else, thanks for the continued support! The next update should be a doozy...

Reactions:
Chapter 30 - 1308 to 1315: The Black Death

The aftermath of the Crusade for Sicily was a mess. As the war ended, 12 thousand Britannic troops were in Sicily. The Empire lacked funds to transport the troops home, so they were left to find passage for themselves. As a result, thousands never made it back to the Empire. As Emperor Ecgberht arrives back in 1309, he sets about planning the next stage of the conquest of Britannia.

2 years of peace and quiet pass. In March of 1311, Scipion reaches majority. He is a skilled tactician, recognized as a capable leader and warrior. However, equally recognized is his love of the same sex.

pdTsAV3.jpg

In the summer of 1311, rumors reach Norfolk of a deadly plague, a scourge of the earth, a sickness that destroys entire societies, leaving carnage in is wake. Then again, they are only rumors. Perhaps Britannia will be spared the wrath of God.

h7niXiL.jpg

In October, a ship pulls into the harbor of Aberdeen, Buchan. Its origin was Norge. The cargo is unloaded and, as the last of the crates are placed upon the ground, a few rats scurry off of the ship. Little do the people of Buchan know that the Black Death, scourge of the lands, has arrived.

QSONVFQ.jpg

The plague quickly spreads throughout Buchan, eventually reaching Gowrie. By 1312, most of Scotland is suffering under the weight of the Black Death. Thousands perish, and entire villages are left empty, their inhabitants dying or leaving. Soon, Lincoln, Northampton, Suffolk, and Sussex also contract the plague. As conditions worsen, the people of Britannia, especially the vassals, point their fingers at Ecgberht. This is, obviously, the wrath of the unhappy, vengeful God. They claim that Ecgberht's abandonment of the armies in Sicily has brought death and destruction upon the Empire. Britannia is in chaos.

eLmMu6k.jpg

Vassal after vassal contracts the plague. Ecgberht's family is no exception, and his brother Inwær is soon covered in plague boils. Æthelhild, daughter of Loup, dies in March. Soon after, Scipion is also ill.

xsEMWoC.jpg
3IJnxJ8.jpg

VcSMt4p.jpg

By April, nearly the entire Empire is affected. On the 19th, Ecgberht comes across an empty village (not uncommon these days) in Norfolk. He and his men investigate, hoping to find some clue to how to put an end to the Empire's suffering. Nothing living is left in the village except some rats among the corpses.

fgAWNwI.jpg

VzKaE4L.jpg

88R5bqk.jpg

Britannia is not alone; all throughout the known world, counties, duchies, kingdoms, and empires are in turmoil because of the destruction of the plague. Millions lie dead, and hundreds of thousands of others raise arms against their rulers.

fMmIQXU.jpg

In May, while Ecgberht is bathing, he notices a mark on his upper thigh. It is the plague... At the same time, his daughter Necro Creature also contracts the plague.

2p9MJ1l.jpg
oGEb5ph.jpg

Ecgberht dies of the dreaded plague on May 24th, 1312. He lasted barely 2 weeks. Emperor Loup inherits an Empire deep in the throes of chaos.

9Kr8PZZ.jpg

In July, thousands of peasants revolt around the Empire. Loup raises what troops he can muster, but more peasants revolt every month.

ZBe3jWO.jpg

1aVobui.jpg

In 1303, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire dies of the Black Death, leaving behind no sons, only 2 daughters. The empire of Byzantium is given to the youngest of the two, splitting apart Rome once again.

N4liXZJ.jpg

In the middle of the chaos, Loup and his wife have another daughter. She is named Jerkera. In 1314 She gives birth to yet another daughter. This time, they name her Idhredura.

gfldqY5.jpg
lUCrHQy.jpg

In October of 1314, as the Peasant Wars rage on, Empress Alberade dies. She dies not of the Black Death, but of some other illness.

0wFSHia.jpg

The revolts are finally put down in January of 1315. It seems that, for now, the Plague has left Britannica.

1W1PEwn.jpg

Of his family, Loup lost his father and daughter to the plague, as well as his Uncle Dom Martin. Other than that, dozens of vassals and courtiers also died. After the death of Dom Martin, the Duchy of Meath went to his eldest son, Eadræd. However, he too died and the Duchy went to Dom Martin's second son, Wihtræd. In Gwynedd, the line of DKM comes to a halt. Although DKM III survived the plague, his sons both died, neither leaving behind any children, and DKM is unlikely to sire any more at his age of 48.

It was the most devastating plague in history, causing the deaths of over a million Brits, either from plague or battle, and tens of millions in the rest of the world.

NOTE:
-That was one hell of a plague! The mod I have adds some things to make the Black Death a little more chaotic and dangerous. I've also tinkered with and changed it to my liking. Find it here.
-I will check on the De Hautville dynasty next chapter, sorry for the delay!
-I think I covered everyone who died. I was looking through the family tree and a few remote relatives were killed who I didn't mention, but all important characters were covered, I believe.

Dang, that was one heck of a ride! At least the Empire is now in Loup's capable hands.

The Black Death has left a mark on Britannia's history, but that could have been much worse. Going by his namesake, Emperor Loup will lead the empire into a brighter era, renewing trust from the family and vassals.

A shame to see the HRE and the Byzantine Empire split in two, they'd have been a really threat upon conversion. Interesting that they're both lead by Empresses now. I wonder how long they'll last.

Ouch. That plague hurt! The mod looks good! may have to get it once my own PC is back up and running

The plague was harsh for Loup. Hopefully he will be able to survive in these troubled times, between peasant revolts and epidemics.

The Plague really hit hard Europe, are there any other kingdoms that were affected as much as the HRE?

I turned out exactly as my normal characters in CK2 turn out.

So Dunaden lost his twin brother Dom Martin, his brother Emperor Ecgberht and a nephew to the Plague, and almost lost his last brother Inwær as well, that Black Death mod is nasty. Sounds like Kildare, at least, was spared the worst of it.

Chapter 31 - 1315 to 1324: Union of Britannia

Loup returns to Thetford Castle on the 16th of January. The halls feel unusually reticent; half of his court perished in the past few years, leaving behind a space void of warm bodies. Although millions died, Loup retains his kind, patient, and just nature, yearning only to rebuild Britannia to the empire it was before the Plague.

cCRPkBN.jpg

For now, he knows he must find himself a wife. With only 4 daughters, there is no true heir to the Empire. For the moment, his brother Scipion is heir, but a son would be best, as Scipion would not make for an ideal emperor. He finds a wife in Princess Mafalda of Aquitaine.

b4Nwohw.jpg

News reaches Britannia by the end of January that Inwær, Uncle of Loup, is gather men for an attack on the Empire. He was displeased that Ecgberht, his brother, received Britannia when Cynewulf, their father, passed away. After the Plague hit Britannia, he left the Empire to the county of Passau of the HRE, where he quickly became Chancellor and Commander. He is determined to take back what he perceives as rightfully his.

XvgkfnS.jpg

In February, Emperor Loup calls for a Council meeting, although this one will be an informative one. The Councilors of Britannia include Duke Cailte of Deheubarth and Northumbria, Duke Eardwulf of Lancaster, Duke DKM III of Gwynedd, Prince Scipion, and Duke Farquhar II of Albany, along with the Emperor's Council (Chancellor, Marshal, etc). He tells them of his plans for the future of his rule; first, those parts of the Empire hit hardest by the Plague will be given generous amounts of money to help their reconstruction, though some gold will be saved for future wars; second, city taxation will be lowered until the Empire has effectively recovered; third, after the successful repellence of Inwær, the last of Scotland and Ireland will be conquered, swiftly.

v6J8DBX.jpg

Mafalda is pregnant in September, and she gives birth to Loup's fifth daughter in 1316, a rather ill and frail child. They name her Radekza.

WnScUgP.jpg
jXeoXEP.jpg

Inwær declares war on Emperor Loup in January of 1317. The armies are raised and wait in southern England for sight of the enemy.

o4WhKeE.jpg

k3nJhzb.jpg

In May, while the troops still await the arrival of the Host, Mafalda is pregnant again.

WYUHZm0.jpg

The first troops arrive in Norfolk in September, although it is only 3 thousand. The 17 thousand man army is sent to deal with the pesky invaders, while the rest are disbanded. It appears this war will be an easy victory.

vx6VABj.jpg

Os7EXrc.jpg

In December, Mafalda gives birth to twins, a girl and a boy. The girl is named Andre Massena, and the boy, heir to the Empire, is named Densley Blair. Unfortunately, poor Densley is born with a deformed clubfoot.

MvOYtsw.jpg

Another 3 thousand troops arrive from Passau in June of 1318, and they too are quickly defeated.

9iEVSEL.jpg

Mafalda is pregnant for yet another time in November of 1319.

flA4A4r.jpg

The next few waves are destroyed just as quickly, and Inwær finally surrenders in 1320. After leading his final army of 4 thousand men to failure, he is captured and imprisoned (he is released within 2 years, and he chooses to stay in Thetford, Norfolk, as a courtier). Britannia is again at peace, free to plan for its next offensive in Scotland.

v0Kr57S.jpg

Another daughter is born in May of 1320. She is named The Number 9.

KwlB3Ix.jpg

Princess Ælfflæd reaches maturity in 1321. She is a gregarious woman and is easily married off to the King of Sweden.

eow7AZP.jpg

In July, Necro Creature dies of Pneumonia, leaving behind 3 de Gael sons. Now both of Loup's sisters are dead.

vTbyhG5.jpg

Mafalda is pregnant again in the Autumn of 1321. Emperor Loup is becoming well known through the world for his quick child-making skills. He is 33 and already had 8 children, with another on the way. She gives birth to a son in 1322. They name him Attalus.

tnh06Qv.jpg

The time for war comes in June of 1322. With the coffers full, Loup declares war on Moray, pushing his claim on the rest of Britannia.

v842EuK.jpg

It is a short and brutal war. It ends in March of 1324 with the annexation of the rest of Britannia into the Empire. At long last, Emperor Loup II has succeeded in uniting the Islands of Britannia under one flag. He has become the first Emperor of All of Britannia!

N91ezFO.jpg

4QeE2pu.jpg

Now that the Conquest of Britannia is finished, Loup calls together the Council again to decide on the next Campaign. He puts forth the two paths the Empire can take. The Norwegian islands to the north are ripe for the picking, and could make for an excellent base of expansion later on. On the other hand, much of Europe is still in turmoil, and it may be time for expansion into Brittany. However, this will require the acquisition of claims, which will time both time and money.

Vote (please comment either A or B):

Focus on the conquest of...

(A) the Norwegian held islands

(B) Brittany

This vote will end Saturday 8:00 AM EST

NOTE:
-Is it just me or are hosts kinda lame now? I swear I can remember a time when 10s of thousands of men would land on your beaches, but I keep having hosts send only 3 to 4 thousand at a time.
-God, I love how the screenshots look now. Let me know if you guys prefer the old way I did them, though.
-I didnt go too much into the war in this chapter (Actually, I didn't go AT ALL into the war) because I feel it's a bit monotonous. Each war with Irish or Scottish rulers are the same: raise levies, form armies, defeat enemies, besiege counties, done.
-I've had such talented chancellors that I've been getting claim after claim after claim! I already have claims on the Norwegian islands!
-Tcwoman continues to live her life in Lothian. Her husband Anaoc, who was once Marshal of Britannia, passed away in 1304. She is now aged 55, and she has no children.
-There is only one de Hauteville still alive, a 54 year old woman named Fressende who lives in Pecs, Hungary. Her children are of another dynasty, so the line has lined. The last de Hauteville man died of leprosy in 1283.
qWtHVdE.jpg
-It is funny how all the old names are coming back. It looks like we are in store for an Emperor Densley Blair.

Hopefully this Densley will turn out to be a good heir, or maybe Attalus will be more fitting to succeed to the emperor Loup?

Conquest focus
(B) Brittany

The Bretons are the brothers of our ancestors. To reclaim that land, that should rightfully been ours since the duke Ralf, should be our priority.

Emperor Loup sure is keeping the family alive. Cool seeing so many names pop up again. Emperor Densley Blair has a nice ring to it, but his deformity might be an issue.

Congrats on finally uniting all of Britannia. A wonderful accomplishment.

Conquest Focus:
(A) Norwegian held islands

It'll take time to forge claims on Brittany, but you already have claims on the Norwegian islands. Best not let them go to waste, in case something happens to Emperor Loup.

There is only one de Hauteville still alive, a 54 year old woman named Fressende who lives in Pecs, Hungary. Her children are of another dynasty, so the line has lined. The last de Hauteville man died of leprosy in 1283.

Ah, damm it was hoping they were still landed. Fond memories of them in my Sicily AAR. :)

As for everything else looks good the isles are now yours. I recommend you focus on B) Brittany, because it will provide a foothold in Europe.

Dang, looks like Loup knows how to be "Gentle" with Mafalda, if you know what I mean. ~.=.^

I vote A, Norwegian Islands

If Britannia already has claims on them, it is the lowest-hanging fruit. Furthermore, as islands they will be more defensible than Brittany.

Reactions: