• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I vote for A: Consolidate before seeking new conquests.

Here's hoping the new Blitz can live up to the name.

Also, I vote A, and I must ask if you got limited interactivity cleared with a mod.

Reactions:
Table of Contents:

Duke Ralf de Gael (ruled from 1066 to 1079)
- 1066 - Introduction
- 1066 to 1073 - Love and Paranoia
- 1073 to 1079 - Love and Paranoia Part 2

Duke Ralf II de Gael (ruled from 1079 to 1099)
- 1079 to 1084 - A First Victory
- 1084 to 1091 - Bad Heir Day
- 1091 to 1097 - The First English Civil War

Duke Ralf III de Gael (ruled from 1099 to 1149)
- 1097 to 1107 - The Turbulent Years
- 1107 to 1112 - Reunion
- 1112 to 1122 - The Quiet Years
- 1122 to 1132 - Drinking Problems
- 1132 - Summaries of Attalus and The Anguished One
- 1132 to 1136 - The War for Northampton
- 1136 to 1146 - The Buildup to War
- 1146 to 1149 - The Transformation of Loup

Intermission (1149) - A Quick Update on the Situation

Duke Attalus de Gael (ruled from 1149 to 1168)
- 1149 to 1159 - New Rulers
- 1159 to 1168 - King Loup

King Breselueu de Gael (ruled from 1168 to 1202)
- 1168 to 1176 - The Tyrant Kings
- 1176 - A Quick Update on the Family
- 1176 to 1184 - The Foreign King
- 1184 to 1194 - The Welsh Wars
- 1194 to 1202 - The Pilgrim King

King Æthelstan II de Gael (ruled from 1202 to 1220)
- 1202 to 1211 - The 4th Crusade
- 1211 to 1216 - Ireland
- 1216 - A Brief Overview of House de Gael
- 1216 to 1220 - Ireland Part 2

King Æthelstan III de Gael (ruled from 1220 to 1255)
- 1220 to 1231 - The Peaceful Decade
- 1231 to 1239 - Enemy to the North
- 1239 to 1247 - A Feeble Adversary
- 1247 to 1255 - King of Two

Intermission (1255) - Half-Time

Emperor Æthelstan IV de Gael (ruled from 1255 to 1274)
- 1255 to 1265 - Empire and Council
- 1265 to 1274 - The Fall of Scotland

Emperor Ælfweard de Gael (ruled from 1274 to 1277)
- 1274 to 1283 - God's Great Pox and the Devil's Revenge

Emperor Cynewulf de Gael (ruled from 1277 to 1283)
- 1274 to 1283 - God's Great Pox and the Devil's Revenge

Emperor Ecgberht de Gael (ruling from 1283)
- 1283 to 1300 - End of a Century

List of all names in rotation:
This means there is currently a character ingame with the name
Every time a child is born, I will randomly pick a name for the child from this list (a program will, not me :)).

Attalus,
the number 9,
theanguishedone,
loup,
densley blair,
saxon,
blitz,
stingrex,
andre Massena,
jerkera,
andrew,
necro,
zzz,
bernard,
idhrendur,
Kon 11,
Scipion Barca,
scotty,
ryudrago,
radekz,
Manuel,
Moosemac,
BPM,
DKM,
Must Love cats,
Khaine,
Dunaden,
Tcman

Abbreviation of names is for my own convenience.
If your name is not on this list, and you feel it should be, comment and let me know. It could be missing because I forgot to add it!
Hi can I have my name in the rotation plz?

Just discovered this AAR and it's fantastic! It's one of the better ones I've seen in a while. I would love if my name was added to the rotation and I vote for A, wipe out the Scots!

Wait wait wait, can't he simply vassalize the Scottish dukes? Same culture group, 2 ranks above?

My vote is A then B then C. Bring the Whole of the British Isles under your rule! Your next challenge then should be to get a De Gael onto the throne of France or begin the Reconquista for the Iberian Peninsula!

Great stuff, Excellent AAR!

Chapter 29 - 1300 to 1308: Crusade for Sicily

The Council of Britannia unanimously vote on subjugating the rest of the independent Scottish rulers before going after the Swedish invaders or the Norwegian islands. As such, construction in the Empire slows and the gold reserves begin to grow in anticipation for a new campaign.

In October of 1300, Khaine dies at the age of 19. So young, he did not achieve much in his lifetime, except marriage to a princess of the Holy Roman Empire.

l87Av9Z.jpg

In October of 1301, a Venetian man returns from the far east, bringing with him tales of great wonder... His name is Marco Polo.

Upb77x8.jpg

In November, Blitz the Dragon and Loup come of age. She, poor thing, suffers from inbreeding, since her mother is the daughter of Æthelstan IV and her father is great grandson of Æthelstan IV, and has no skills to speak of. Despite this, she is very humble (what would she be proud of?) and content with her life. She is married matrilineally to a Hungarian administrator of remarkable talent by the name of Almos. Immediately upon arriving in Norfolk, he is made Steward.

0cZukFU.jpg
JHgtuZf.jpg

Loup could not be more different from his twin sister. His kind, gregarious, and patient nature makes him a natural diplomat, and he shares his father's skill of intrigue. Strangely enough, his father's stewardship talent did not pass to Loup. He is betrothed to an 11 year old princess of the Holy Roman Empire, to further seal their alliance.

k05UXj0.jpg

In January of 1302, Emperor Ecgberht declares war on Ulster for the county of Tyrone. Ecgberht's levies are raised, 12 thousand in all, and split into two armies of around 6 thousand each. The small Ulster army of 4 thousand enters Britannic Ireland.

D3mgVLC.jpg

The southern army, led by Dom Martin, Ordgar of York, and Ecgberht, moves to make contact with the enemy while the northern marches towards Tyrone. They engage the enemy army in April, and the enemy is quickly crushed. They are followed to Tyrconnell and destroyed.

Phf8FwZ.jpg

In central Ireland, a peasant revolt led by a former soldier begins. The army led by Dom Martin and Ecgberht leaves Ulster and heads south to defeat the rebels. On the way they are joined by several Irish vassals' levies, increasing their numbers to 9 thousand.

DyvzEO0.jpg

The two armies, Britannic and rebel, meet in September. It is an easy victory for the well trained Brits, and they chase the defeated to Kildare, where they surrender. The leader of the revolt is promptly executed.

ogYT7bZ.jpg
8x63Ajq.jpg

The vassal troops return home, and the 6 thousand men return to Ulster, setting siege to Tyrconnell. Meanwhile, the siege of Tyrone continues until 1303 when the first castle falls.

cHC8FU1.jpg

As Derry falls, the petty King of Ulster surrenders.

Mdw2LlT.jpg
EuyW66n.jpg

Tyrone joins Britannia. Only 3 provinces in Ireland stand independent against Britannic rule. Soon after the end of the war, Duke Eberhard of Connacht declares war on Ulster for the final county.

FTMGFtr.jpg

Necro Creature comes of age in Fall of 1303. She is a learned woman, a mastermind theologian, but also a strong fighter. She is married matrilineally to a great French warrior named Humbert. He is eventually made a Commander of Britannia.

1vmj8GO.jpg
7EY8mzC.jpg

The Connacht-Ulster war is over in August of 1304. Ulster is no more, and Moray is now the last of the Scottish Kings. Moray has also managed to reconquer the county of Ross from the Swedish invaders, pushing the Swedes back to a single county. The war against Moray is planned for the Spring 1308...

rAUTvAK.jpg

VDb3pZ0.jpg

Loup and the Princess are married in December. Princess Alberade, the future Empress of Britannia, is a master of Diplomacy, and will help Loup rule his future realm quite well. Other than that, her royal status, daughter of a ruler of two empires brings much prestige to Britannia.

MtczYDw.jpg

In March of 1306, Pope Innocentius calls a crusade for Sicily, which is currently held by the Seljuks. Ecgberht sends word to the Pope that he intends to join the Holy endeavour. It would mean a halt of the planned invasion of Moray, but Ecgberht is willing to delay.

eQ7fPdo.jpg

Nearly 30 thousand men are raised in England, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. They are sent to Wessex to board the massive fleet of nearly 300 ships amassing there.

RjEAQed.jpg

The fleet sets sail on July 22nd, 1306, headed for Italy. They arrive in November, and the army is unloaded onto enemy soil in Palermo, where half set siege to the Castle of Monreale and the rest move to Messina.

saqGwMY.jpg
LLcnipV.jpg

Very quickly the coffers run low, and the fleet must be disbanded. Thousands of troops are also sent home with the ships due to the Empire's inability to pay them. What remains are 3 armies of about 6 thousand men each.

Bc1WtUJ.jpg

Thus far the Crusade is in Christianity's favor. However, word of a massive Mongol army of 50 thousand men heading towards Sicily puts fear into the Crusaders' hearts. The Mongols, once a Hindu empire, converted to the vile religion of Allah, and they answered the defensive call quickly.

5ovC1mi.jpg

The Mongols enter Sicily in December of 1307, quickly overwhelming the Britannic army there and smashing through one of the armies. A 12 thousand man Teutonic army is next, but, as 10 thousand Teutonic soldiers lie dead or dying, the Mongols retreat. Their Khagan suddenly withdraws from the Crusade!

cRF6kCi.jpg

In March of 1308, Blitz the Dragon dies of Inbred related illnesses. She leaves behind two daughters, one of whom also suffers from inbreeding.

wUC1eaE.jpg

The Crusade ends in November of 1308. Sicily is given to Prince Gellert of Hungary, in honor of his contribution to the victory. If not for the mongols, the Crusade would have been a near perfect victory. Nevertheless, their withdrawal secured Christianity's victory, for success would have been impossible otherwise.

NDOiJp9.jpg

It was a bloody war for Britannia, with thousands of lives lost due to the Mongols, and thousands more due to attrition. Little does Ecgberht know that Britannia will see more death and destruction that ever before his life is over.

NOTE:
-Sorry this one was late. Where I was, 20 kb/s was a miracle!
-It's a shame Blitz died so young, but that's what I get for marrying my relative.
-I'm going for conquering the Scottish rulers because, hey, conquest is so much more fun than vassalization!

Hi can I have my name in the rotation plz?
Just discovered this AAR and it's fantastic! It's one of the better ones I've seen in a while. I would love if my name was added to the rotation and I vote for A, wipe out the Scots!

Will do!

Wait wait wait, can't he simply vassalize the Scottish dukes? Same culture group, 2 ranks above?

That was the original plan, but I figured vassalizing would be pretty boring. I want to show those Scots who's boss!

To everyone else, the reason I stated that the results of the vote were unanimous is because the vote ended before anyone voted B! It was only a 24 hour vote because I didn't think there would be such a long gap between chapters.

Nice Chapter, lucky the Mongals withdrew from the Crusade. :) Out of interest how is the De Hautville dynasty going?

Excellent work on uniting the British Isles, it is nearly complete. Maybe you'll have time for another of those goals?

So the Mongols converted. Not ideal, but you handled it well.

Always good with more crusading. The Mongols did really threaten that crusade, you are never safe when doomstacks 50,000 Mongols are running around.

Loup is turning into a good ruler, just like his ancestor.

I died an inbred freak...that made me laugh harder than it should have.

Reactions:
Excellent to see that Sicily, that ancient bastion of Catholicism, is back where it belongs under Hungarian rule. Worrying to see the Mongols convert, as others say – although one would hope that as Britain you wouldn't have too much course to actually interact with them.