• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, the new emperor is impressively bad. Hopefully he is assassinated before some vassals declare independence.

Nice to see the Scotland crown added to Britannia. Maybe this new horrible emperor should hand out a few crowns to keep vassals happy. They'll be powerful, but the opinion boost would help.

Reactions:
That heir seems really bad. Depressed, possessed, lazy etc. Nearly has all 7 sins, but probably an entertaining personality. Guess it gives you some challenge.

Galicia fell, and with the holy place Santiago de la Compostella!

Please add ZZZ to the name rotation for the dynasty name rotation again, also if I am female please marry me off matrilineally.

Please add ZZZ to the name rotation for the dynasty name rotation again, also if I am female please marry me off matrilineally.
Why would your name be specifically a part of it? Might as well add back all other names too... Loup has only been once, jus as ZZZ

Reactions:
Luckily Alfweard is depressed, so you can make him commit suicide in the intrigue tab

Chapter 27 - 1274 to 1283: God's Great Pox and the Devil's Revenge

In Thetford Castle, Norfolk, Emperor Ælfweard 'the Wicked' sits alone in his chambers. For years and years he has suffered from what can only be described as possession by an evil spirit. Headaches and hallucinations haunt his waking hours, while sleep, what little of it he gets, is full of only worse nightmares. He occasionally wakes up, not remembering how he got where he is, knowing that the evil presence was in control. Due to the apparitions and voices in his head, depression set in several years ago, anger and paranoia soon after. To cope, Ælfweard took to eating his way through the large supply of food always available to royalty, but it does little to help him escape the accursed hell that is his mind.

rNKfB3p.jpg

Emperor Ælfweard is no different from Prince Ælfweard, other than a large pool of vassals contemplating him with antipathy and abhorrence in their eyes. His outward display of homosexuality has not gone well in the Empire, as if his other troubles were not enough. Luckily, Ælfweard inherited a sizable amount of gold upon ascension, which could be used to appease the vassals somewhat, but his greedy nature keeps every piece under his paranoid watch.

Within two months of taking the throne of the Empire, rumors reach Ælfweard's ears that there is a plot to see him dead.

1NDE3ju.jpg

In March of 1275, Emperor Ælfweard attempts to raise the taxes on Feudal vassals, only to be met by fierce resistance.

2 years later, Ælfweard, afraid of open revolt against his rule, decides to weaken the strongest vassal. His Council begs him not to risk the balance of order in Britannia, which is so fragile these days, but he dismisses their objections. He sends an ultimatum to Duke Æthelwine of Mercia, demanding that his vassal, Earl Ælle of Teviotdale, should no longer be a vassal of Mercia. The Duke refuses this, and Ælfweard declares war, sparking the first civil war since King Breselueu took the throne 101 years ago.

bPIoiTb.jpg

Ælfweard's personal levies are raised, totaling 5 thousand in Scotland and 6 thousand in East Anglia. Along with this, he sends word that all Irish vassals are to raise their levies, a total of 3 and a half thousand. Just as the war starts, a terrible sickness takes Ælfweard's body, Great Pox.

cJaaJ8r.jpg

The 6 thousand man East Anglican army, led by the Duke of Lancaster, stops in Northampton, awaiting the arrival of the Scottish army led by the Duke of Leinster. The Irish army, led by the Duke of Cornwall, makes way for Wales, surrounding Mercia in three ways. The 6 thousand strong Mercian army, meanwhile, heads into Oxford, laying siege to the castle there.

i3DFljV.jpg

In June of 1277, just before the Scottish and East Anglican armies attacked the Mercian army, Ælfweard dies from Great Pox. His successor, his son Cynewulf, takes the throne.

sAYCxee.jpg

The new Emperor immediately orders the armies to stand down, and sends an offer of White Peace to the Duke of Mercia. Before even a single battle can be fought, the war ends, and Britannia is once again stable.

OMLFO7D.jpg

The vassals, so happy to be rid of Ælfweard, throw their full support to Cynewulf, making him one of the most supported rulers within weeks of taking the throne. Cynewulf cannot be more paradoxical when compared with his father; in fact, he is very much like his grandfather, Æthelstan IV. His administrative skill is second to none, and his patient and diligent attitude causes most who meet him to like him.

aNKyhOB.jpg

His family consists of 3 children, two sons and a daughter, the eldest of which is a boy named Ecgberht. His wife Brigit is sister of the Duke of Deheubarth and Northampton, a woman who won her husband's affection with her way with words. She also happens to be pregnant.

Lqt3YQt.jpg
sZ7p5dM.jpg

In February of 1278, Brigit gives birth to twin boys, whom they name Dom Martin and Dunaden.

Y3L1B63.jpg
kcq9m3q.jpg

In 1279, there is a brief peasant revolt in Wessex. In order to gain leadership experience, Cynewulf insists on leading the troops to battle. As he led the charge, a stray enemy arrow pierces his leg.

FcKKr5Q.jpg

In September of 1280, Brigit is again pregnant. She gives birth to a son in April of 1281. He is named Khaine.

mVQV716.jpg

xWJ2ydl.jpg

In January of 1283, Tcwoman, aunt of Cynewulf, comes of age. She is a rather unlikable woman and it is rather difficult to find a willing husband to marry matrilineal. In November, a messenger from Jerusalem (Jerusalem, Brittany) requesting that Tcwoman marry Prince Anaoc. Cynewulf graciously accepts.

1J696uF.jpg

5CRaebI.jpg

Word reaches Britannia soon after Tcwoman leaves that a man named Lodin from the Norge controlled island of Orkney is gathering men for an attack on the Empire...

T73Wz2l.jpg

On the 22nd of December, 1283, Emperor Cynewulf clutches his chest in the middle of dinner, collapses, and dies immediately. Despite his young age of 31, Emperor Cynewulf passes on, leaving the Empire to his 13 year old son Ecgberht.

f7DZnZt.jpg

Since its creation 18 years ago, the Empire of Britannia has seen 3 different rulers. Now, the fourth ascends to the throne.

kaLagka.jpg

Long live Emperor Ecgberht!

NOTE:
-These emperors don't seem to last very long... Let's hope that this one will be like Ralf III, who, if you remember, reigned for 50 long years.
-I recall complaining about one of my wives' names ages ago. With Ecgberht, I take it all back...
-Of course, I would have ended this chapter when Ælfweard died, but it was such a short time I decided to play on.
-I've taken a look around, and the male Densley Blair branch has died out after Cearl's grandson Mauric. However, Densley Blair's daughter, Ælfthryth, although dead, still has some grandchildren and great grandchildren running around.
-DKM's branch is doing strong. His grandson, DKM II, still rules Gwynedd. DKM II's son, Fychan, also named his first born son DKM, meaning we will probably continue to see that name around.
-I've decided to do names like this: put all of the commenters' names (except those who already have characters) into a program that will randomly pick a name whenever I want. That way it is totally random, and it makes finding the next name a lot easier.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Did Ælfweard have all the seven deadly sins! I congratulate him, I'm surprised that he even held the throne for as long as he did. In my current GOT game for example, Veron Greyjoy fell off a balcony and was replaced by his vastly superior heir Alton within 20 minutes. :D

As for Cynewulf its a crying shame he died so young, though his son seems more then capable of holding the Empire together.

Last edited:
Reactions:
A regency! Was a while ago since we had that. Good that that horrible ruler ended up dying, he really seemed completely crazy, while all other rulers have been good.

The horrible emperor didn't get to deal too much damage. Wonderful to see, even if his heir somehow died of natural causes at 31.

Young Ecgberht may have to endure regency, but he is already shaping up to be a good ruler. Hopefully he didn't inherit his father's health.

I'm curious, by the way, whatever came of Andrew de Gael? I suppose lived and died in the Templar order without making it to Grandmaster?

Also, here's to the young Bretwalda Ecgberht! Long may he reign, the son of kings!

Luckily it will be a short regency since Ecgberht is already 13. He's already looking good with stats and traits.

More importantly, he needs to find his younger brother Prince Dunaden a wealthy heiress with huge tracts of land to marry.

Reactions:
Silly me, I forgot to check on this thread! At least there's a fine character bearing my name. His skilled stewardship would make him a good emperor, no? ;) Anyway, I hope his family will do well. Maybe he'll get one of those duchies ripe for picking in former Scotland. Nice AAR, keep it up!

Chapter 28 - 1283 to 1300: End of a Century

It is December of 1283. Young Emperor Ecgberht is 2 months shy of his 14th birthday, 2 months from fulling ascending to the throne. For now, Duke Beorhtric of Lothian, son of former Emperor Æthelstan IV, acts as regent of the Empire. The Empire has seen turbulent years, with the Devil's ruler himself, Ælfweard, fueling instability and chaos, and then good Cynewulf leaving this world so soon after taking power.

Ecgberht comes to age on February 25, 1284. A diligent, patient man, he also shows great care when it comes to the law of the land. On most days, being a very zealous man, he attends mass. However, under all the saintly apparel, Ecgberht is quite learned in the ways of Intrigue.

QliSkf2.jpg

Soon after his birthday, Ecgberht sends an emissary to France, requesting King Ekkehard II's daughter's hand in marriage. The King quicklly accepts, happy to have such a powerful ally. His daughter, Princess (and now Empress) Tiburge, arrives in Norfolk in March. She is a gregarious, scholarly woman who, like the Emperor, is a very zealous Catholic.

9mjExoO.jpg

In November, The M comes of age. Although she is a rather enthusiastic eater, her sharing and gregarious nature makes her many friends. She is married to Prince Sigismond of Aquitaine.

IDp6s6p.jpg

In April of 1287, Tiburge is pregnant with their first child. In November, twins are born, a boy and a girl. She is named Blitz the Dragon, the daughter of long ago King Breselueu. He, the heir to the Empire, is named Loup, after the first de Gael king to rule England.

Se9xIKD.jpg

dHOHHn4.jpg

Timburge is again pregnant in 1289. In July, another daughter is born. She is named Necro Creature.

CVo6H25.jpg

1FuJBuE.jpg

Princes Dunaden and Dom Martin both come to maturity in February of 1292. They are each great leaders of men, but Dom Martin's skill with a sword bests Dunaden, as does nearly every other skill he possesses. They are each awarded with a fief to govern over, Dunaden receives Kildare, while his brother is handed Dublin. In honor of his skill, Dom Martin also is made Duke of Meath.

pw2uKGa.jpg
mFah2G0.jpg

In June of 1296, Ecgberht declares war on the independent Scottish ruler of Moray, citing the conquest of Buchan. 13 thousand personal levies are raised and sent to Durham to organize. They are ready in August. To the north, nearly 7 thousand Scots have entered Britannic Scotland.

VANh3Fo.jpg

At the same time, the Empress is again pregnant.

9Y2UFDs.jpg

The army, led by the Dukes of York and Lancaster, and the Emperor himself, makes contact with the enemy in October. It is a short and brutal battle in which the entire enemy army is destroyed. Victorious, the Britannic army besieges Buchan.

zxki4LM.jpg

A son is born to Ecgberht and Tiburge in March of 1297. They name him Scipion.

Xwhfcsb.jpg

The first siege of Buchan ends in November. As Aberdeen falls in October of 1298, the petty King of Moray surrenders. He hands over the county of Buchan, defeated.

8d2Q2TR.jpg

7p6ROC7.jpg

In October of 1299, a year after the war for Buchan ended, most of Scottish Moray is conquered by a host of Swedish men. Britannia now has a new enemy on its northern border. Not a strong enemy, but a more foreign one than has been seen for generations.

Xi18qfH.jpg

The year turns to 1300. The world has changed much in the past century. In the Middle East, the two dominating powers have broken. The Seljuk Sultanate has splintered somewhat with the Abbasid Dynasty, Qutuzid, and a few small rulers, having declared independence. As the Seljuks have so much inner turmoil, they can do nothing to stop the seceding states. In a similar matter, the Fatimids, while so successful in their past jihads, have failed to appease their vassals, leading to a large war for independence among many of the states. The Middle East is now a patchwork of Muslim Emirates.

9q7uZdW.jpg

Emperor Ecgberht calls together his Council. The Councilors include Duke Ordgar of York, Duke Cadwal of Cornwall, Duke DKM III of Gwynedd, Prince Dom Martin, Duke Eadwulf of Lancaster, Chancellor Beorhtric, Marshal Hrodberht, Steward Maccus, Spymaster Æthelsige, and Court Chaplain Ceolwulf.

Ecgberht requests advise on the current military situation. Although Britannia is in no danger of invasion by sea or land, and has an incredibly powerful military, he puts forth the question of what to focus on in the coming years. The current opportunistic areas are the remaining free Scottish rulers, the new Swedish conqueror, and the Norwegian islands to the north. The Empire has been, for the past 2 decades, spending nearly all of its money on building and expanding holdings throughout Britannia, and its gold deposits are fairly low. It cannot afford multiple wars at once. It is up to the Councilors to decide:

Vote (please comment either A, B, or C):

Focus military efforts on...

(A) Moray and Ulster, the last free Scottish rulers

(B) Ross, the Swedish conquered territory

(C) the Norge held islands to the north (including Færeyar, Orkney, and Iceland)

This vote will end Saturday 10:00 AM EST

NOTE:
-Andrew de Gael died in 1299 at the age of 73...
-DKM III is now Duke of Gwynedd.
-I'm experimenting with new screen cropping sizes, which is why some of the sizes don't seem constant. Let me know if you don't like them.
-I don't know why the Seljuks changed from green to dark beige. If anyone knows, please enlighten me!
-I will be posting a list of all names in rotation for new borns under the Table of Contents! Please read it when you get a chance!

Reactions:
Oh, as you have modded the age of majority, it came more rapidly than I thought. I'm really proud of seing another Loup! :)

Military efforts focus

(A) Moray and Ulster, the last free Scottish rulers

Unite those in your culture group before, and they will be easier targets.

I vote A (on the condition that one of the duchies goes to Cats :p) We can go for B or C after all the British people's are united under one banner.

The Seljuk's will likely have changed because they've changed their primary title. Assuming they're still Muslim, the name will remain that of the dynasty even if the (Christian) title itself changes.

Otherwise, I'm sad to see the Densleys die out patrilineally. Here's hoping for a new branch at some point in the future.

And I'd plump for A; unite Britain first.

Loup is once again the heir, and this time he'll be an Emperor. The last one worked out really well, so let's hope for a repeat. The Middle East is a giant mess. If they're not less chaotic by the end of CK2, you might want to clean up their borders a little. As for the new screen cropping sizes, they look fine to me.

My vote is for (A) Moray and Ulster, the last free Scottish rulers.
I'd love to see Britannia include the islands to the North, but it is more important to first unite the British Isles.