• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think your AAR has so far been great, but what I could recommend is perhaps doing some area-specific updates across the worlds, relating events from a historybook perspective? I love additional background info and stories emerging. :) But that is just a sidenote, because in my opinion this AAR is good as it is now, and I believe you are already working a lot with it. Also, having published no real AAR here myself, I don't have much to come with.

The Mongol conversion to Hinduism is interesting. I wonder if it will last. That and the HRE-Byzantium union, perhaps Rome is getting restored? If those two things survives, it will be interesting in EU4. Otherwise (sadly) France getting partitioned between Aquitaine and the HRE is common.

Happy New Year in that case!

Happy new years! I will try and include more background on outside realms.

I have to agree with Loup, the AAR is fine as is. Some regional updates outside of Britannia would be nice though.

The HRE and the Byzantine Empire are one... if that remains the case by EU4, they'll probably be the strongest nation in the world. A Hindu Mongol empire is really cool to me. The faith spreading outside of India could make for some tension.

The CK2 to EU4 converter splits up the separate duchies, kingdoms, and counties into independent rulers while adding them all to the EU4 Holy Roman Empire mechanic, so no need to worry about one massive empire engulfing all of Europe.

I'd be interested to know the dynasties of some of the major powers in Europe :)

I've just added a screenshot to the post!

Looks like France has descended into a hot mess.

Looks like Aquitaine has overcome France in terms of power.

The CK2 to EU4 converter splits up the separate duchies, kingdoms, and counties into independent rulers while adding them all to the EU4 Holy Roman Empire mechanic, so no need to worry about one massive empire engulfing all of Europe.
That depends on the crown authority of the HRE when you convert, and regardless of how splitted it is, the emperor will be very mighty with a lot of imperial authority given the amount of princes.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That depends on the crown authority of the HRE when you convert, and regardless of how splitted it is, the emperor will be very mighty with a lot of authority.

My mistake. I believe the crown authority is Medium at most. I do know that Lotharingia is an extremely powerful Kingdom within the HRE, so they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Seems the world is very mixed at the half-way mark, once again I wish you good fortune going onwards. Also, that HRE must be destroyed!

Next update will be tomorrow, the 29th. I changed my mind about waiting until new years.

Reactions:
You're doing great with this AAR, my one attempt at one faltered. The abdication was a surprise, but fits the character. England has been successful in the head to head versus Scotland, so the de Gael Empire seems inevitable. Aquitaine should have no problem dominating France with de Gael backing through Queen ZZZ.

Liked the intermission and the view of the rest of the world.

You're doing great with this AAR, my one attempt at one faltered. The abdication was a surprise, but fits the character. England has been successful in the head to head versus Scotland, so the de Gael Empire seems inevitable. Aquitaine should have no problem dominating France with de Gael backing through Queen ZZZ.

Liked the intermission and the view of the rest of the world.
by my power, aquitaine will take france!

Chapter 25 - 1255 to 1265: Empire and Council

As King Æthelstan III ends his speech, silence responds. Never before has a king of England relinquished control of the crown voluntarily. Always death or force parted the two. There have been a few abdications in Europe in the last two centuries, but very few of note. Despite this, Æthelstan III retires from the kingship, leaving it to his son and heir Æthelstan IV, the third Æthelstan in a row on the throne.

The abdication is unprecedented in that Æthelstan III, while quite old, is still healthy and capable. It is unforeseeable what effects this will have on the future of England. Æthelstan IV is like his father in his ability to govern a realm. He lacks diplomatic finesse, but he is a capable leader in war. At the moment, he has 7 children, his oldest and heir Ælfweard being 20. Upon ascension to the throne, the King grants his heir the title Duchy of Meath.

Snu9OWO.jpg

A few years pass with peace and quiet. Slowly, Chancellor Uhtræd of England cobbles together several claims on Scottish counties.

JDwXy6D.jpg

In April of 1259, former King Æthelstan IV dies in bed at the age of 66. Although he died not a king, his 34 years on the throne will be remembered well by all Englishmen.

ULse1fB.jpg

In 1263, after 8 years of silence, King Æthelstan IV of England declares war on King Farquhar of Scotland, pressing his claims on the counties of Carrick, Argyll, Strathearn, and Lothian, and the Duchy of Man. Victory would mean another chunk of Scotland transferred to England, and a much weaker enemy to the north.

4fIl8Pw.jpg

The levies are raised and organize into 2 armies of 15 thousand each. Luckily, Scotland is involved in an overseas war in the Middle East and has very few defensive troops. The first army, led by Duke Eadwulf of Lancaster, heads to Carrick, intent on taking Turnberry Castle, and the second, led by King Æthelstan, moves to besiege the Scottish capital of Gowrie.

CCxlHGG.jpg

Unfortunately, a harsher winter than usual forces half of Æthelstan's army to withdraw from the siege of Gowrie, moving south to Lothian to avoid catastrophic attrition. in January of 1263, a Scottish force returning from the Middle East lands in Lancaster, forcing the King to lead 14 thousand men south to intervene.

29fpztY.jpg

The two armies meet in April and the Scottish army is defeated, losing most of its troops. The victorious army returns to Lothian.

0GMVYMB.jpg

The castles of Gowrie and Carrick both fall in autumn of 1264. It appears this will be another fast victory of England.

Ng16Oux.jpg
W9jcD3k.jpg

Holding after holding falls in the next year and, eventually, the Scottish King admits defeat. He cedes the claimed counties and duchy to King Æthelstan.

xrS1yJC.jpg

ldKNMG0.jpg
afsAHjh.jpg

mLB6mAm.jpg

England now consists of nearly 200 castles, temples, and cities, and is the fourth largest realm in the known world. With England now stretching further than ever before, King Æthelstan invites his vassals to Norfolk for a special conference.

As the vassals arrive in Norfolk, they are welcomed graciously by Æthelstan. On June 23rd, the conference begins. The King announces the formation of the Kingdom of Wales, and welcomes it officially into the Union with England and Ireland.

0aurThy.jpg

The King of now England, Ireland, and Wales then announces the creation of the Empire of Britannia, and vows to unite the islands under one flag.

ia14hZm.jpg

The Emperor, as his vassals are stunned by this chain of events, then proceeds to his final point; he declares the formation of a Council of Britannia.

0t58B1P.jpg

Although the kings of England in the past have taken advice from their councils and, in some cases, their vassals, the creation of a formal inner council with the main purpose of convening to advise the Emperor is just as unprecedented as Æthelstan III's resignation.

And thus the Empire of Britannia is formed. Will this Emperor keep good on his promise to unite Britain?

NOTE:
-This update was pretty short. I was cut off halfway through by some problems IRL, so I had to come back and finish it hours later.
-I didn't expect to form the empire this soon. I really thought it would take a lot longer, but Scotland has proven itself to be a pushover! And, it seems that once you get a really good ruler, who has really great kids, who then raise their kids to be really great kids, you have a pretty easy time holding your realm together.
-Next update will contain info on the outside world. *Hint Hint*, say goodbye to Galicia...
-Here are the 'mechanics' of the Council:
In Game:
-There are five title slots for Council Members, but all it does is give them a prestigious title, a little extra pay, and an opinion modifier.
-Only landed men that are not incapacitated can be made Council Members.
-Since the Emperor's council members are part of the Council, there are at most 10 members of the Council, and at least 5.
-The Council can be reformed.
In AAR:
-This is a good excuse to have readers vote on certain choices, acting as the Council Members. It doesn't matter if a character named after you is in the Council, everyone gets to vote!
-Votes will be on things such as wars, decisions, alliances.

Reactions:
Congrats for the Empire of Britannia !

I didn't see your post yesterday so this update was totally unexpected. And a nice surprise.

So Britannia has finally been formed, underneath the descendants of the mighty De Gael ruler Loup! :)

The council sounds like an interesting idea for the AAR!

wow! Emperor of Brittania. Even though there should be a choice *hint* *hint* to rename your title as sometimes Emperor sound Dumb. And the celtic name for Brittania sounds awesome. Its Prydain.

I would like to call a vote for you to culture flip you and your vassals to Breton. I believe Breton culture is the closest to Romano-British culture.

Welsh would be closest to Romano-British. And a Welsh-dominated united Britain would be really very interesting indeed.

Reactions:
At last, Britannia is formed! Now the remaining territory must be conquered, and then you can focus on infrastructure. Britannia will be ready for the next era.

The Council sounds good, a nice narrative choice for the AAR.

Rule, Britannia!

Reactions:
Chapter 26 - 1265 to 1274: The Fall of a Scotland

The new Empire of Britannia spans over nearly all of Britain. In the north, Scotland stands alone against the formidable force against its southern border. It seems just a matter of time before the young Empire swallows this last unconquered foe.

fJU0lv8.jpg

As the Council of Britain is formed, 5 Councillors are appointed: Duke Uhtræd of Wessex, Duke Cadwal of Hwicce, Duke Fychan of Gwynedd, Duke Rægenweald of Kent, and Prince Ælfweard of Meath. This last appointment, of the Emperor's son, is seen as pure nepotism among the vassals, for Ælfweard is a very disliked man throughout the realm. Other than his extreme depression, which many claim is unfounded, he occasionally experiences violent episodes, speaking as though possessed by evil spirits. This prince is no fit heir to the Empire, and Æthelstan, who appointed him in the hopes of a change in his attitude, may have to look elsewhere for a successor.

BuPeurq.jpg

2enPV9T.jpg

In September of 1266, Empress Wulfgifu of Britannia dies at the age of 50. Æthelstan, despite his age of 55, sets out to find a new wife. A wife is found quickly from Aquitaine, a beautiful young princess named Aurengarde.

OkVcAvd.jpg

Despite an age difference of more than 40 years, the two fall in love, and, in 1268, Aurengarde is pregnant.

67xAxlz.jpg

In January of 1269, Aurengarde gives birth to a girl, whom they name Tcwoman.

9zCGEjd.jpg

Ælfweard's situation grows worse in the Summer of 1269, as it comes out that he is a raging homosexual, even though he has already had 5 children. Æthelstan, now panicking, sees no way out. The depressed, possessed, fat, homosexual Ælfweard seems poised to become the next Emperor of Britannia.

nGR9oWq.jpg

1270 brings with it the news that Aurengarde is again pregnant. By November she gives birth to another girl. This time they name her The M.

sQ3OyQW.jpg

2qOqduM.jpg

Knowing that his life is almost over, Æthelstan IV arranges a pilgrimage to Rome. He sets out from Kent in December of 1271. He brings with him a few of his trusted courtiers.

WAtdTAX.jpg

Q8Oyy51.jpg

He arrives in February of 1272. There, he meets and converses with many different men. News passes by this way and that. He learns that Galicia has recently fallen to the heretical Fatimid Sultanate, putting yet another chunk of Iberia in Muslim control.

SRWCJp9.jpg

vNhu5E8.jpg

He also learns that most of Sicily has been reclaimed for Christianity. The reappearance of the Kingdom of Sicily, although it is led by an Orthodox King, has helped retake the lands.

LpXD9oE.jpg

Far to the east, the Mongol Empire, which stretches from eastern Europe to central Asia, has connected Europe with Asia more than they have been for many centuries, and it brings news of empires to the East. The formerly Hindu Mongols have since converted back to Tengri.

CJEowIY.jpg

Æthelstan returns in March, telling great tales of his adventures and of what he has heard.

AAP1fPk.jpg
x4uGrLk.jpg

Inspired by his travels, the Emperor makes one last bold move. He usurps the title King of Scotland, declaring that, as he controls most of the Scottish counties, he is the true King of the north.

Kptf1T6.jpg

As the Kingdom of Scotland collapses, the remaining vassals split into independent duchies. The very tip of Scotland is controlled by the Duke of Morray, as is half of northern Ireland, while the rest of northern Ireland is controlled by the Duke of Ulster. The former King of Scotland, no merely the Duke of Albany, is forced to bow to his new Emperor. Although he is now a vassal of Britannia, he has no love to his new liege, vowing revenge.

zsFKzsU.jpg

On the 9th of April, 1274, Emperor Æthelstan IV, the first Emperor of Britannia, dies at the age of 63, unable to fulfill his promise. Thus starts the rule of Emperor Ælfweard 'the Wicked', the most despicable de Gael.

MQ86nMA.jpg

How can this new Emperor withstand the anger of his new vassals? Can he finish his father's job of uniting the islands?

K2eGyg3.jpg

NOTE:
-I have never seen a more disappointing heir (and now ruler)... I wish I could have gotten rid of him, but there seemed no way. About 75% of his vassals hate his guts.
-Scotland's demise is quite good! Other than the extremely angry vassal (the former king of Scotland), it should be easy to pick off the remaining Scottish Dukes.
-The Council positions are, for some reason, hereditary. I will try to fix this by the next update. For now, Fychan has been replaced after his death by DKM II, grandson of DKM I!
-You will be proud to hear that Britannia has the 4th largest army in the known world! Right behind Seljuks, the Mongols, and the Fatimids (not in that order). Oh, wait. It had the 4th largest army under Æthelstan IV...

Reactions:
Are the Densleys still running around in Essex? Because I don't see Essex on the council… :p

Excellent to see you've nearly united Britain under one ruler – though the ruler himself, whilst undoubtedly the most entertaining we've seen in a while, leaves something to be desired.

Looking forward to seeing how long he lasts!

It is very frustrating constantly getting middle aged heirs. I want a young ruler with whom I can name the children what I want. I keep getting rulers that already have 6 or 7 children, all named something horrific, usually starting with Æ.

I will see about the Densley Blairs out there.