• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And thus Lady Blitz has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Finally proper Agnatic Primogeniture underneath the direct descendants of the true royal English branch of house De Gael, the one of uninterrupted kings after king Loup!

Finally proper Agnatic Primogeniture underneath the direct descendants of the true royal English branch of house De Gael, the one of uninterrupted kings after king Loup!

Technically, King Loup's heir, Æthelstan the first, was not king. But it seems at the moment that Loup is 'Father of de Gael Kings.'

And unto us an Andrew is born. You left out how he's an attractive genius, right? :p

Either way, small shame to lose elective. Loup wins... for now. The branch of Densley will have its revenge for losing its appointed place! :p

The branch of Densley will have its revenge for losing its appointed place! :p

Oh, we Densleys will be remembered. Books will be written about us. Songs will be sung about us. And then, hundreds of years into the future, episodes of our lives will be played out weekly at half past nine by the heroic actors of the age. :p

Reactions:
Oh, we Densleys will be remembered. Books will be written about us. Songs will be sung about us. And then, hundreds of years into the future, episodes of our lives will be played out weekly at half past nine by the heroic actors of the age. :p

Yeah and I can be played by some tiny tit in a beard. :D

Well, I'm both happy and sad that managed to acquire primogeniture. On one hand, it means that your realm will be much more stable and easier to control. On the other hand, no king from DKM's line will ever happen.

The best thing about primogeniture, of course, is that we will be spared the abhorrence of a King DKM. :p
:mad:

And unto us an Andrew is born. You left out how he's an attractive genius, right? :p

Either way, small shame to lose elective. Loup wins... for now. The branch of Densley will have its revenge for losing its appointed place! :p
Please, we need a Manuel in this AAR. Can't go wrong with a Manuel :p

Please, we need a Manuel in this AAR. Can't go wrong with a Manuel :p

Manuela is the Manuel of this AAR :). When a child is born, I look through the AAR and pick someone regardless of gender (unless I really can't think of a feminine version of a name), and Manuela is the feminine version of Manuel.

Manuela is the Manuel of this AAR :). When a child is born, I look through the AAR and pick someone regardless of gender (unless I really can't think of a feminine version of a name), and Manuela is the feminine version of Manuel.
Dangit my namesake is the wrong gender to rule England! curses, foiled again!

Congrats for the primogeniture succession. Your realm will be way more stable.
Rhifnaw did not achieve anything so I really not care whose line is on the throne. At least, it's a De Gael. :)

Keep up !

Chapter 22 - 1231 to 1239: Enemy to the North

There is much grumbling among the vassals after the announcement of Primogeniture succession. No longer will the vassals have a say in the passing of the crown, and no longer will any house but de Gael sit on the throne. The main dissenters are the dukes and duchesses of Wessex, Kent, York, Gwynedd, and Essex. They quickly form together a faction with the goal of forcing the abolition of many of the policies of England, thereby lowering the crown authority. For the moment, the faction is no threat.

England's main problem is Scotland. In 1232, independent Irish rulers cease to exist. The islands are now split between England in the south and Scotland in the north.

tU44Bik.jpg

King Æthelstan develops a different strategy to conquer the island: instead of focusing on ousting the Scottish from Ireland, bring the war to their mainland. A few months previous, Chancellor DKM managed to fabricate a claim on the county of Galloway. It is with this claim that Æthelstan plans to declare war. Unfortunately, Scotland has powerful allies, including France, Brittany, and Norge. England is allied with Jerusalem and the Byzantine Empire, both of which, such distances away, will be of little help.

In order to game more allies, he marries his second oldest son, Leofheah, to a princess of Danmark. Then, he betroths his oldest daughter, Beorhtgifu, to the 13 year old King Jon of Norge, hoping that the King will choose England in the coming war. Lastly, Æthelstan marries his brother, Eadberht, to a princess of Sweden, forging yet another alliance.

Ypzb9nh.jpg
z5KVIqb.jpg

In May, Æthelstan announces that his wife is pregnant with their 8th child. In October, a daughter is born. She is given the name ZZZ.

95lV7ru.jpg

In January of 1233, Norge and Sweden go to war. Seizing the opportunity while Norge is distracted, and before Sweden has the chance to call for England's aid, Æthelstan declares war on Scotland for the county of Galloway. Jerusalem of England's Danish ally accepts the call to arms. Scotland's allies, however, seem unwilling to intervene.

xa9BN7O.jpg

The levies are raised, 25 thousand in all, and sent to central England to organize. To the north, 5 thousand Scottish men have set siege to Teviotdale. In Ireland, nearly 10 thousand have entered the English south. The army is split in two, Æthelstan himself leading one to Ireland, while Duke Eadfrith leads the other to the northern border.

x3c8xBP.jpg

They each engage their adversaries at roughly the same time, May of 1233. The battle to the north is a glorious victory for the English, the army barely losing 8 hundred men to the enemy's 5 thousand. The Irish battle, while still a victory, leaves 3 thousand English men dead or out of action.

9SIKlP4.jpg

Duke Eadfrith moves his army to siege Galloway while Æthelstan pursues the crippled enemy army. It is not until August that the army is finally tracked down and destroyed. The army of Æthelstan orders the victorious army to make their way to Northern Ireland, intending to block Scotland's access to the Island.

jvu4sT6.jpg

In March of 1234, Beorhtgifu reaches womanhood, and she is married to King Jon of Norge. The alliance is officially forged. However, King Jon has no desire to enter into the war against Scotland, and the war is going far too well for Æthelstan to press him.

jC6EqsW.jpg

The first siege in Galloway ends, on its capital's Castle Dunragit. However, the war continues.

jF9mczP.jpg

As the last resistance in Galloway falls in September of 1234, King Angus IV of Scotland accepts the peace agreement. He hands over Galloway. Now, England has direct access to the north of Ireland and to the Isle of Man. The first conquest of Æthelstan III is over. Galloway is granted to his son and heir Æthelstan IV.

ZDcAsNe.jpg

bAXNUId.jpg

In March of 1236, Ryudraga reaches maturity. She is married to Raynaud von Rheinfelden, a former German Commander. He is well known throughout the Holy Roman Empire after winning first place in several tournaments in Europe. Upon arrival in England, he is made a Commander.

6pGhhvS.jpg

jKpYFoe.jpg

In April of 1237, Binhilde is again pregnant. By the end of the year, a son is born to Æthelstan and his wife Binhilde. They name him Must Love Cats.

Ct0wJ7C.jpg
pLOyXmM.jpg

In June, Duke DKM dies at the age of 57. In his lifetime, he sired 5 children (though not all from his wife). His eldest, Fychan, inherits the Duchy of Gwynedd.

2zrmT8G.jpg

In 1238, the new Chancellor Oswulf of Northumbria, who took over after the death of DKM, sends word that he put together a strong claim for Æthelstan on the Scottish controlled county of Kildare, in Ireland.

C8fpBYL.jpg

As the year turns to 1239, word reaches England that a man from Normandy, named Gèrard, is gathering men for an attack, intent on conquering part of England for himself...

pTT9kyr.jpg

NOTE:
-The Swedish King is called Faste the Chaste, a pretty funny name!
-Sorry, my finger sometimes hits the F11 while taking a screenshot (I use steam for screenshots), that is why one of the images has a big ole Screenshot Taken thing in the middle of it.
-I've been having a few crashes lately. I had one literally a week before the end of December, so I had to replay from July... Once again, I don't think it affected the AAR.

Reactions:
What a foolish idea to attack de Gael England! How dare this nobody named Gérard attack the kingdom which has recently defeated Scotland and is larger than never before?

-Sorry, my finger sometimes hits the F11 while taking a screenshot (I use steam for screenshots), that is why one of the images has a big ole Screenshot Taken thing in the middle of it.
Wait, how would you take a screenshot without that?

Reactions:
Alright, so you can defeat Scotland so long as their many allies do not interfere. Every conquest will make the following wars easier. Soon they shall kneel to England!

An adventurer, eh? Sounds dangerous, but you can get a lot of gold from him. So long as you didn't just get out of a costly war, he shouldn't be a threat.

For steam, I have it set to F12. I had accidentally hit F11, which displays Screenshot Taken, just before I hit F12.

F11 and F10 are the standard Paradox screenshot keys.

F11 and F10 are the standard Paradox screenshot keys.
I know that. I just didn't know how to take a screenshot on steam without the "Screenshot taken" thing showing up.