• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting! The branch of Loup will continue to prosper and control the kingdom!

Chapter 20 - 1216 to 1220: Ireland Part 2

King Æthelstan II now has a taste of Irish blood, and he is eager for more. Luckily for him, his kinsman, DUke DKM of Gwynedd, tells him that his Court Chaplain, Morfarch, whose Grandfather was King Mumu, has a claim on the Petty Kingdom of Mumu, now ruled by Queen Siobàn. If Æthelstan were to push the claim, he could take the land for England, as long as Morfarch became Duke.

qolL6Gx.jpg

Æthelstan declares war on the small Kingdom, pressing the claim of the Court Chaplain of Gwynedd. He raises a total of nearly 9 thousand troops from East Anglia and Mercia, leading them to Wales in a very similar move to the first English-Irish war. The poor Queen is only able to raise 800 men, whom she sends to the English held county of Leinster.

QI0X6AP.jpg

The enemy army is quickly defeated, and the Queen is surprisingly captured in battle.

G1WD8sQ.jpg

Now a prisoner, she is forced to surrender her petty Kingdom. It is the shortest war England has ever seen, lasting from July to October of 1216.

5ZmNCkx.jpg

After the war ended, the Irish prisoners were released, many fleeing to other Irish Kingdoms or counties. Strangely enough, Beornwulf, Marshal of England and nephew of the King's, fell in love with a former courtier of Munster who was being held in England during the war. Upon her release from the dungeons, she and Beornwulf are married. She is considered a very scholarly woman, possessing many skills, and she is welcomed in England by most.

4MDzy9P.jpg

The next victim of the English conquest of Ireland is the county of Deasmhumhain, which is de jure part of the Duchy of Munster. In May of 1217, war is declared and 6 thousand levies raised. This time, Æthelstan remains in Norfolk, giving the job of leading the troops against the 1 and a half thousand enemies troops to his commanders, hoping to give them a little more experience in the field. The commanders include his very own son, Cynewulf, the Duke of Northumbria, and the Mayor of Hertford.

mvQmu0l.jpg

The enemy is easily defeated, its army scattering in the wake of the English.

rfMUAC4.jpg

In September of 1217, Earl Attalus of Oxford, Grandson of Attalus of East Anglia, passes away at 65. His county is left to his youngest and only living child, Guethencar. While most of the family moved away from its Breton roots, Attalus and his children retained their culture.

X1Rnsnq.jpg

The siege of Deasmhumhain ends in June of 1218, and the Count surrenders. Now the South of Ireland belongs to England.

e5D4USk.jpg

In July of 1219, more good news relating to the slow conquest of Ireland arrives in Norfolk; Chancellor DKM has managed to put together an English claim on the Irish county of Osraige, just north of Munster. A few days after receiving the news, Æthelstan wakes up sick and tired. From then on, he spends most of his time in bed, giving orders through his servants.

B269BoI.jpg

xjzvCkX.jpg

Æthelstan quickly jumps at the opportunity (while remaining bedridden), declaring war on the third Irish ruler in 3 years. The levies are raised yet again and sent to Wales. Æthelstan, now 52, does not lead the troops. The small county of Osraige manages to put together an army of over 2 thousand souls, impressive for its size.

ClKEKmS.jpg

At the beginning of the war, Beornwulf comes to Æthelstan, asking him for Osraige, once the war is over. As Beornwulf has been a loyal Marshal for so many years, Æthelstan accepts.

o70JIpO.jpg

The enemy army is defeated in November, and the county laid under siege. The siege ends in July of 1220, and the county is taken.

pkZ6mSB.jpg

As promised, Æthelstan gives it to Beornwulf. He renames it Ossory.

5CLzGwJ.jpg

Now at the age of 54, and more ill by the week, King Æthelstan II, most popular and successful de Gael King of England, moves to pass a raising of the crown authority. Before the Lords of England can deliberate, he dies in his sickbed on the 13th of October, 1220.

97GSJXf.jpg

His son, Æthelstan III, ascends to the throne. Can he preserve the de Gael legacy that started with King Loup? Can he continue the conquest of Ireland, facing up to England's strongest rival Scotland?

b23G5CU.jpg

NOTE:
-I thought I took a screen of the death of Æthelstan II, but it turns out I didn't... Sorry bout that.
-Something strange has been happening to my autosaves. I put it to autosave to cloud and, today, the game crashed a year in. When I went to reload the half-year saves, the only ones in the cloud were from 1141! All July 1141. I switched the autosave to not save to cloud and had to start a year or so back... I don't think it affected the AAR at all.
-I really wanted to pass high crown authority before the King died! Damn! He was such a popular king it would barely affect his standing with the vassals! I could have even passed Primogeniture!
-This update is pretty short because of the untimely death of the King. I just want one peaceful update that gets through a bunch of years. I can't wait to see the mongols do their thing, tearing up Russia and what not!

Reactions:
Æthelstan II was great! Primogeniture sounds like something you might manage to accomplish during the reign of Æthelstan III, given his traits. Concerning the dynasty, it makes sense that the Attalus branch out of all of them stayed Breton.

Last edited:
Having just read Tristram Hunt's brief account of Boston as being representative of Britain's American empire, I feel compelled to say that I am now even more anxious than before to see you make it into the modern era. I vote that a Densley be allowed to be a president! :p

Shame to see Aethelstan go, having done so much – and yet failed to finally settle the succession matter – though his heir had promise, being so young. Let's hope for a swift consolidation of the de Gael ascendancy.

Ethelstan II will be remembered as one of England's greatest Kings.

Æthelstan II was great! Primogeniture sounds like something you might manage to accomplish during the reign of Æthelstan III, given his traits. Concerning the dynasty, it makes sense that the Attalus branch out of all of them stayed Breton.

I would love to have Tanistry, but i don't want only old kings that die within a decade or two of inauguration.

Having just read Tristram Hunt's brief account of Boston as being representative of Britain's American empire, I feel compelled to say that I am now even more anxious than before to see you make it into the modern era. I vote that a Densley be allowed to be a president! :p

Shame to see Aethelstan go, having done so much – and yet failed to finally settle the succession matter – though his heir had promise, being so young. Let's hope for a swift consolidation of the de Gael ascendancy.

I was about to raise the crown authority in 1219, but the acquisition of the claim in Ireland changed my mind. I wanted to upset the vassals only after I finished the war.

Ethelstan II will be remembered as one of England's greatest Kings.

Very true. All vassals had opinions 19 or higher and he was able to raise 24 thousand men.

Last edited:
A truly successful reign, beloved by his vassals and conquering much of Ireland. May his son surpass him. At the least, hopefully he can change the succession laws.

Aethelstan III has some mighty big shoes to fill, that's for sure.

Chapter 11 - 1146 to 1149: The Transformation of Loup

Just prior to the declaration of war, two messengers depart from Thetford Castle, each carrying a similar letter to the Duchies to the north. One went to Mercia, one to Northumbria. The letters request assistance from the allies of East Anglia in its war for Bedford. Immediately upon receiving the letters, Duke Eadwin II of Mercia and Duke Mærleswegn of Northumbria send the messengers back answering the call.

tAck1o1.jpg

MKMfo3L.jpg

Meanwhile, East Anglia has raised its nearly 4 thousand troops and is ready for battle. The army sets forth to Bedford, laying siege to its castle, where it is later joined by Mercian and Northumbrian men. By July of 1146, Bedford Castle is surrounded by 10 thousand enemies.

MLKsYFX.jpg

In November, Eadflæd, Ralf's granddaughter, reaches 14. She shows very little skill in any area and is married, matrilineally, to a talented soldier from Hungary in the hopes that she will produce many strong de Gael offspring.

RTwn6f8.jpg

BDPU53L.jpg

The siege of Bedford ends in January of 1147. There has yet to be a battle in the war, as the defender's armies seem keen to avoid the massive attacking armies.

idOCdeI.jpg

The town of Hertford, also in the county of Bedford, is the next target. Within a few months, it falls as well.

mFKryut.jpg

The first combat takes place in Northampton, as the small army of Wessex, only about 5 hundred men, is surrounded and destroyed. The main army of Wessex, this one nearly 2 thousand men, is then chased into Wessex itself and defeated. The victorious armies lay siege to Castle Winchester of Wessex.

0ADPtMW.jpg

vlOrlyh.jpg

In May of 1148, the castle finally falls, yet the stubborn Duke of Wessex fights on.

iLrcauh.jpg

In Norfolk, Loup and his wife have their first child, whom they name Æthelstan. Loup is a changed man since his marriage. Having stopped his filthy association with the whorehouses, he has focused on administrative duties and scholarly reading instead. This has led him to become a talented administrator and a learned man.

TaMPvmD.jpg

e6arUHg.jpg

The Duke of Wessex finally surrenders in October of 1148. In recognition of his miraculous change and new found skill, Loup is made Earl of Bedford. The Duchy of East Anglia now stands at 5 provinces, and Duke Ralf III is now known as the most successful and renown Duke that East Anglia has ever had.

YlAbGwh.jpg

TBbeHRD.jpg

With the now immense income of East Anglia, expansion of the Keep in Thetford Castle is ordered.

Then, with victory still sweet on his tongue, death takes Duke Ralf III. He dies at the age of 56, having been Duke of East Anglia for 50 years, the longest of any Duke of East Anglia. The Duchy passes to his eldest son Attalus, now Duke Attalus of East Anglia.

7IIuRf3.jpg

Long live Duke Attalus!

XDXHLJl.jpg
i see that you had a user name for one of your kids in the game if your intrerested i propose some names for the next kids in the game

Jonathan

Celestia

Serenity

Andrew

i see that you had a user name for one of your kids in the game if your intrerested i propose some names for the next kids in the game
I believe the author uses the usernames of his more active readers rather verbatim. However:
Would be the English for my username, so it might be seen eventually. Maybe :p

Thanks for the comments today, guys. Snow storm has been knocking my power off throughout the day (once right after I finished writing the introduction to Chapter 21). It is late where I am and I plan on rising early tomorrow, so I can't get one out for today. Next one will have to be tomorrow evening.

Reactions:
Meanwhile where I live we're getting a super green christmas :p

Chapter 21 - 1220 to 1231: The Peaceful Decade

Æthelstan III, son of King Æthelstan II, and grandson of the past King Loup, sits down for lunch on October 13th, the year 1220. He raises the chicken breast to his mouth just as a courtier hurries up to his seat. The courtier, a woman named Beladora, tells him that his father is dead. He has been sick for more than a year, bound to his bed for most of the day, but it still comes as a shock. Now, Æthelstan finds himself King of England. He does not finish lunch.

After the inauguration, he sets to work; first is the matter of the heir. Although his preferred heir is his son, Æthelstan IV, the other vassals do not agree, leaning instead towards Prince DKM. To keep the kingdom from falling out of de Gael hands, Æthelstan is content to allow DKM to remain heir. For now...

hcff9Th.jpg

Many vassals, discontent with the crowning of yet another de Gael, do not support the King. With this comes a decrease in the possible levies the King can raise, as well as the tax income. Several gifts are sent to influential vassals to sway them to support the king. Within a few months, the problem of tax income is gone, although the weak army persists.

TUjs457.jpg

Nothing of note happens until August of 1221, when Æthelstan announces to his court that his wife Iudhent is pregnant with their 5th child. Although considered by many to be a rather unlikable woman, Iudhent has done her job of bearing many de Gael children, even passing on her unusual strength to the second oldest boy.

qeTriLV.jpg

Still a rather unpopular King, though not hated, Æthelstan decides to go on a pilgrimage to improve his image in the eyes of his religious vassals. As much of it is controlled by Christians, he chooses to travel to the Holy Land . He sets out in October, leaving DKM as regent over England.

ZHyAUU6.jpg
dfnrBMv.jpg

He arrives in December. Despite the supposed divinity of the land, Æthelstan is unimpressed, even becoming something of a cynic thereafter.

FgK9Vqg.jpg

HziMlh8.jpg

He stays only a short time before leaving. When he returns, he does not tell high stories about his travels, instead becoming rather quiet when the subject is brought up. But the trip has the desired effect; the only vassal unhappy with the current ruler is Beornwulf, Æthelstan's cousin and rival.

mFW9cub.jpg

Iudhent gives birth in March of 1222 to a baby girl. They name her Ryudraga. Unfortunately, she is born a weak and sickly infant.

L6DMqBu.jpg

In June, news arrives that an ambitious man of House Hwicce, named Ealdwine, has gathered together a host of men, intent on carving out some land as his own. He declares war on Brittany. However, he is defeated and imprisoned by the King of Brittany by the end of the year.

QqJkUaB.jpg

In April of 1223 Blitz the Dragon passes away at the age of 53. She leaves behind three children and a husband named Assiucc, who is Steward of England.

gVM2k7s.jpg

In September of 1224, Æthelstan IV comes of age. While a talented administrator, he is not particularly skilled in any other areas. However, he is a thoroughly liked and respected man.

ibi9c1D.jpg

fyJ8irk.jpg

November brings the news that Iudhent is again pregnant. She gives birth in June of 1225 to a boy they name Andrew.

rw0kDCS.jpg

In 1227, in a diplomatically clever move, Æthelstan creates the title Duchy of Leinster and grants it to his known rival, Beornwulf. In this way, Beornwulf's anger is pacified, leaving no resistance to a move to increase crown authority. It takes 7 months, but the reform is finally passed.

uzSumOY.jpg

In November, Iudhent is again pregnant. She gives birth in June of 1228 this time to a girl. They name her Manuela.

0ROc4F9.jpg

Soon after the birth, Æthelstan's eldest daughter, Ælfrida, comes of age. She is married matrilineally to an incredibly talented spymaster from Germany named Wilhelm. He is considered by many a genius. Upon arriving in England, he is immediately offered the post of Spymaster, which he accepts.

UFpZelk.jpg

January of 1230 brings with it dark news. While Æthelstan is away from Norfolk, his wife Iudhent dies. She was never the most healthy woman. Æthelstan is only 37, and he remarries quickly to a princess of Lotharingia named Binhilde. She is rather untalented, devoting most of her time to the study of books.

UWjAwfz.jpg

7W0EeVl.jpg

As the year turns to 1231, the Kingdom is in good shape: the vassals are happy with the King, money is flowing, and the levies are strong. Æthelstan decides to pass a very controversial law, changing the succession from Elective to Primogeniture, as his father wanted.

0KkXXAU.jpg

NOTE:
-Is it just more, or has the recent DLC made the Mongols incredibly weak? Take a look at their current realm:
sw7YcoN.jpg
-I am pretty happy with Primogeniture. On one hand, it guarantees a continuation of the de Gaels on the throne, as long as no faction implements its demands. On the other hand, the vassals are pissed, and if I end up having a very illiterate, untalented eldest boy, I would be stuck with him as heir.
-If I missed someone in the naming of my children, I apologize, It is difficult trying to sort through the pages of this AAR to decide who should have a child named after them.

Reactions:
The best thing about primogeniture, of course, is that we will be spared the abhorrence of a King DKM. :p

I am pretty happy with Primogeniture. On one hand, it guarantees a continuation of the de Gaels on the throne, as long as no faction implements its demands. On the other hand, the vassals are pissed, and if I end up having a very illiterate, untalented eldest boy, I would be stuck with him as heir.

Elective is good only for the short term, its a trouble to handle when you hold an empire for example, owing to the large possibility of unhappy vassals throwing their support behind another person. Still at the very least the succession is secure in England, as long as you don't end up with an imbecile first born further down the line. :)

Ah, Primogeniture succession. A wonderful achievement. The crown is far more secure now that it is bound to your family. Now you just need Cognatic succession laws.