• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems that a De Gael will be king for years to come. Wales will soon be under your control, and then where? Scotland? Ireland? Brittany, maybe?

Ireland and Scotland, yes. Seeing as the current heir is Anglo-Saxon, a future Breton King is unlikely. In that case, it is also unlikely that a future king would want to conquer Brittany when Scotland and Ireland are so much more convenient.

I think, realistically, a Breton king might be more willing to conquer Brittany and unite the Celts, whereas an Anglo-Saxon or English king might not be as up to it.

Reactions:
please name one of your children crusader or ZZZ

Shame that Angus couldn't handle the dragon. Let's see if this son of a preacher man does any better. =D

Reactions:
Chapter 17 1194 to 1202: The Pilgrim King

King Breselueu's eyes rest upon the remainder of the Welsh lands. The two independent 'kingdoms' (as they call themselves) are Gwynedd and Deheubarth. They have lost most of their territory to Lloegyr and, with that justification, Breselueu declares that he is the true holder of both petty kingdoms.

brOwMBS.jpg

Both kings have no choice but to accept Lloegyr lordship. The entire Welsh lands are now under Breselueu's control. However, so as not to have yet another couple of unhappy vassals, Breselueu releases several Welsh prisoners from the last wars as a show of good faith.

siYFuld.jpg

In February, his two sons approach him. They have recently come of age, and though they are twins, the two are very different men. DKM, the favorite of his father, is diplomatically gifted, as is the way in the de Gael family. He is also a very zealous Catholic, attending mass several times a week and donating money regularly to the church.

RMxFij7.jpg

Rhifnaw has promising skills in diplomacy, but is hampered by less fortunate traits and habits. He suffers from a terrible stutter when conversing, making many people dislike his company. He also inherited his father's greedy and envious character. Other than that, neither boy is an outstanding soldier or leader, and neither is very knowledgeable of the affairs of running a kingdom.

Rfc0cgb.jpg

They approach their father with a request, their own demesnes to govern over. As the recent conquests of Wales has put two more duchies under Breselueu's control, he hands them over to his two sons. DKM gets the slightly wealthier duchy of Gwynedd, while Rhifnaw is given the duchy of Deheubarth. However, within a few months, Rhifnaw loses control of his duchy and the former king of Deheubarth seizes it. While he remains Count of Glamorgan, he has lost his duchy. Rhifnaw was a duke for a matter of months...

In 1197, Rhifnaw declares war on his new lord, in an attempt at reinstating his own rule in Deheubarth. By 1198, the war is lost, and Rhifnaw is imprisoned by his liege. As much as Breselueu desires to demand the release of Rhifnaw, he knows that his son got his just deserved punishment; a failed revolt ends in prison.

22KjFOw.jpg

In 1199, the Princess twins of Lloegyr, Idhrendura and Necro Creature, turn 14 years of age and come to womanhood. They each have been educated in the ways of diplomacy, though neither to the extent of their father or brother DKM. However, they will make great de Gael wives.

RDw78Sc.jpg
u90fwAB.jpg

To reaffirm the alliance between Lloegyr and France, Idhrendura is married to Prince Othon of France. Necro is married (matrilineal) to a talented diplomat of a rather prestigious German bloodline named Martin Billung.

PtfrCjG.jpg

9EAY3wG.jpg

As the year turns to 1200, Breselueu, now age 60, senses his life will not last many years longer. He decrees the increase of crown authority as a way to put more power in the central Lloegyr government. He vassals who have since come to like and revere him, pass the institution quickly.

8nqJ2yB.jpg

In July, Duke Morcar II of Mercia dies in a suspicious accident, falling 3 stories off a balcony. His daughter Maud becomes Duchess of Mercia.

yQcfZ1q.jpg

In 1201 Breselueu decides to embark on a pilgrimage while he still can. He immediately sets out planning, choosing the tomb of Saint James in Santiago as his destination. Santiago is currently controlled by the Kingdom of Galicia, an Iberian land that is near, but not quite at, the front lines of the war between Islam and Christianity.

zMGTXod.jpg

gZwkEnN.jpg

In April, he and his band of travelers (mainly servants and a few courtiers) sets out. Cearl is left as Regent, watching over the Kingdom.

FXAaR4Q.jpg

The first steps of the trek are difficult, and before long the rains have given Breselueu a cold.

8BfkUfi.jpg

In May, he arrives in Santiago. There he converses with many different people, including fellow pilgrims from far off lands. After a few weeks stay, he and his band head back.

KfaJ33s.jpg

d8OLMPn.jpg

By June, they arrive back in Norfolk. Although he did not gain much more than a cold that persists still, his pilgrimage is seen as a very holy act among his vassals and court.

0k9jMO7.jpg

In July, shortly after Breselueu returned, Necro Creature dies of Pneumonia. She is only 15, leaving behind her husband and her 5 month old daughter.

C0xuAzP.jpg

In October, Pope Victor III calls for another Crusade for Jerusalem. Immediately, Breselueu answers the call, pledging the full strength of Lloegyr against the infidels.

E0dN7Rr.jpg

As he gives the command to raise levies, Breselueu collapses in a coughing fit. He is rushed to his bedchambers, and the healer called, but it is too late. King Breselueu, the first de Gael King of Lloegyr, dies at the age of 62.

eLQeus5.jpg

Æthelstan II, Duke of Hwicce, now ascends to the throne. He is crowned King in the year 1202, the second de Gael on the throne.

ZI190N5.jpg

NOTE:
-Æthelstan is Anglo-Saxon, so the Kingdom is back to boring ol' England.
-It's a shame that Necro died so quickly. She had a horrific name, but still...
-I'm glad I was able to change the crown authority before Breselueu died. This way, I may be able to get it to high crown authority in Æthelstan's lifetime (seeing as only one crown law can be changed per ruler).

Reactions:
Æthelstan looks like he will be a great king with those traits and stats.

Although it is disappointing that the kingdom could not stay Breton, all is well so long as a de Gael remains on the throne.

What trait is that on Necro, Idhrendura, and Martin?

Wow, DKM turned out great with that Diplomacy stat. He might be a good heir for Æthelstan II, assuming nothing better comes along.

Nice to have the Welsh territory added to England's crown. Soon, Britannia!

Also, same question as Andrzej; what is that trait?

Onwards crusading in the Holy Land! Deus Vult! Breton Jerusalem shall return (you can always give the title to a Breton).

Finally you play as a ruler in the branch of Loup. :) Are there any Breton provinces in England?

Any chance of the Densley branch of the family getting themselves involved in Wales? I'd quite like to see them have an influence in the area. Speaking of which, how is Cearl doing? Don't suppose he's at all close to the throne? It was nice to see him as regent when Breselueu went off to Santiago.

What trait is that on Necro, Idhrendura, and Martin?
same question as Andrzej; what is that trait?

I forgot to mention it in the NOTEs. That is from the mod Custom Royal Bloodlines, wherein you can, if you have 4000 prestige, create your own royal bloodline that is passed on from father/mother to children. I use it mainly to track decent (I like to see who is directly descended from whom)/

Onwards crusading in the Holy Land! Deus Vult! Breton Jerusalem shall return (you can always give the title to a Breton).

Finally you play as a ruler in the branch of Loup. :) Are there any Breton provinces in England?

No. I've modded the game to slow cultural conversion.

I hate the way CK2 handles culture. For example, in the HRE, I don't think every province in the HRE should convert to the emperor's culture, I think they should convert to their respective king's/duke's culture. It ends up where nearly all of central Europe, including much of the east of France, the Netherlands, and northern Italy, is German by the end of the game. If the Emperor of Britannia is English, I don't want Scotland, Ireland and Wales converting to English if their kings are of their respective cultures.

No update today, I'm exhausted...

Reactions:
Another nice update, although that was not a great one for Rhifnaw. Let's hope, it'll get better in the next few year (doubt it though).

It's funny that DKM has grown to be a diplomatic genius considering that is how I teach all of my children when playing CK2. Also, the thought of a Prince Donkey Kong Master de Gael is also quite hilarious.

Well have a good rest and thank you for this wonderful ride of an AAR

Thanks for the support!

Another nice update, although that was not a great one for Rhifnaw. Let's hope, it'll get better in the next few year (doubt it though).

You never know. Remember Loup?

If I make a post about how much I like your AAR, will I have a king of England named after me?

I usually look through the comments from the beginning and see who has commented several times. You will probably get a child named after you at some point :), but it could be a while.

It's funny that DKM has grown to be a diplomatic genius considering that is how I teach all of my children when playing CK2. Also, the thought of a Prince Donkey Kong Master de Gael is also quite hilarious.

Didn't know DKM stood for that! :p

Chapter 18 - 1202 to 1211: The 4th Crusade

King Æthelstan II, former Duke of Hwicce, has inherited the Kingdom of Lloegyr from his distant relative Breselueu 'the Usurper'. Æthelstan II is son of the first de Gael King, Loup the Fowler. what he lacks in diplomatic skills that he predecessor possessed, he makes up for in his administrative talent. He is also a brave soldier, although an average leader. He is, unlike Breselueu, fulling Anglo-Saxon, his side of the family having lost its Breton culture since King Loup. He also has a claim on the Kingdom of Scotland, seeing as his grandfather was King Angus of Scotland, ruling in the 1160s to 80s. However, he may not be able to press this claim, at least not until he has restrengthened the kingdom, which is divided along the current ruling house de Gael and the previous one of Godwin.

ufBGKCF.jpg

Before any decisions to do with the Crusade, Æthelstan decides to deal with his vassals. Some are quite unhappy, especially because of the vast about of land held by the King. He therefore gives away his inherited duchy of York to the Count of York. In addition, he rechristens the Kingdom as England, removing the Breton name that was so unpopular among the Anglo-Saxon vassals.

hacfcns.jpg

Æthelstan then turns his attention to the 4th Crusade. Jerusalem is currently controlled by the Fatimid Sultanate, and they alone appose the crusaders. As many of the English vassals have already joined independent of their liege, he merely raises his own personal levies of 5 thousand men, along with a further 4 thousand from Mercia. They are sent to Wessex to board the fleet that will carry them to war.

hPEJvO8.jpg

They are loaded onto the ships in July of 1202 and set sail for the Holy Land. They land in the small Syrian enclave of the Fatimid Sultanate in January of 1203. There they engage a small defense force of 2 thousand Arabs.

oGvwFXH.jpg

They easily defeat the enemy, but word of a massive army of 16 thousand Arabs approaching from the south sends the English army back to their ships. They sail instead to Tripolitania, landing on the beaches in May. They set siege to Tripoli.

bBJINZh.jpg

In November, word arrives from England that Æthelstan's son and heir Beorhtwine has died.

pYkj9Il.jpg

The siege a Tripoli ends a few days after the news arrives, and the army moves next to take the city of Sabratah.

gtZZ7r7.jpg

The city is taken in March of 1204, but the past year of crusading has taken a toll on the army. Despite only a single battle on the fields, the sieges and disease have killed off over 1 thousand English men, and the occupation of Tripoli is more of a distraction than anything, as the Crusade in the east is going poorly for Christianity.

m70dG6q.jpg

The city of Bani Waled is also occupied, but news of yet another massive army from the east sends the crusaders once more to their ships.

JzYKgXi.jpg

They land in the Holy Land itself, in the county of Asqalan. Finally, Æthelstan has arrived in the Holy Lands, he is a crusader.

AP0ssjk.jpg

The siege ends in May of 1205, but the arrival of the Arab army forces the English onto their ships for a third time.

EY1JIug.jpg

They land in Tripoli again, far away from the main Arab army. Æthelstan sends word back to England to raise the rest of the levies from the entire Kingdom and send them to join him. Despite a few protests from the vassals, it is done, and the army of 12 thousand arrives in Tripoli on February 9th, 1206.

c1r7ZAL.jpg

In June, Æthelstan's daughter and son, twins, come of age. The boy, Æthelstan III, is his heir and is one of the most gifted administrators in the Kingdom. He will make a fine ruler. His sister, Ealhswith, has a knowledge of diplomacy not often seen in this branch of the family. With the news of their coming of age, he also receives a letter from the King of France, who happens to be married to Jerkera, daughter of the former King Breselueu. He requests the Ealhswith marries his second youngest son. Æthelstan agrees to the marriage, and decides to not find his own son a wife until he returns from the Crusade.

oWRxxvd.jpg
qTlGcqN.jpg

GxKHjDk.jpg

With the additional 12 thousand troops, the armies are loaded onto their fleets and land back in the Holy Land in January of 1207. There they engage a small army of 8 thousand enemies on the Sinai Peninsula.

QSlMRAa.jpg

It is an easy victory and 10 thousand troops are left in Farama to block the Fatimid's access to the Holy Lands from North Africa.

RsmmqTP.jpg

In the preceding years, several more infidel castles and and cities fall to the crusaders in Sinai. Despite the earlier misgivings of the war, the English armies have thoroughly pushed the advantage to the crusaders.

In April of 1208, another messenger finds Æthelstan, this time it is from his son. Young Æthelstan III is obviously lonely, and he requests his father find him a wife. Resigning to his son's will, Æthelstan accepts.

Iw03qWs.jpg

His son is married to a Princess of Brittany, daughter of King Konan II. At the same time, his youngest sons, also twins, reach manhood.

BBxZeUt.jpg

England continues to besiege and capture many cities in the Holy Land, while battling small armies of Arabs until, near the end of the year 1210, the Fatimid Sultanate capitulates. The 4th Crusade is a success!

DpSqtI5.jpg

All of the Holy Land formerly controlled by the Fatimids is handed back to King Konan II of Brittany, who is perceived as the true ruler. Jerusalem, however, ironically remains with the Seljuk Sultanate, which holds only a small portion of the Holy Lands along with the Holy City.

2Bzx5gV.jpg

NOTE:
-I noticed when my army first landed that Jerusalem wasn't even owned by the Fatimids... Pretty silly that the Seljuks didn't get pulled into the war.
-I swear to god that that 3900 man army was an 8 thousand man army right before I engaged them. I assume it said 8 thousand because of something to do with Fatimid's allies' armies being in the same province (much of Islam was also at war in a Jihad for Sicily).
-I will do more detailed updates on Æthelstan's family soon. This update was becoming too long and I wanted to finish the Crusade.
-The reason Brittany got the Kingdom of Jerusalem and not England is that King Konan II of Brittany still held the title of Kingdom of Jerusalem despite losing all of its land to the infidels.

Reactions: