• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
btw when does English culture usually spawn again? You could just skip anglo-saxon culture and be that instead.
1100s. I think you have to have a Norman cultured ruler over an Anglo-Saxon province for it to trigger, from what I've read.

The succession is safe!
btw when does English culture usually spawn again? You could just skip anglo-saxon culture and be that instead.

I think it spawns only if the Norman invasion is successful, something of that sort. If it is still Anglo-Saxon by the end of CK2, I'll see if I can't convert it all to English in EU4

Reactions:
Rhifnaw: well, isn't it obvious? :p

DB has done well so far. I'm still naturally hoping that he gets to be king for thirty seconds after everyone else has died.

Well I've seen it happen in an old gods play-through where the Norse conquered bits of England, went Norman but failed to convert a lot of places to Norman, and then everyone went English.
Any ideas on why that is?

Then, only a few months later, Saxona passes away at the age of 59. In her life, she married the most powerful duke of England and had 6 children. Though none are of the line de Gael, she lived a long life and her name shall not be forgotten.

Sniff :(

One of Saxona's children named their youngest child Saxona, so the name will carry on! Probably not very far, but still...

It will still carry on. :D

Oh no, my husband died! Hopefully the grandson is still a competent spymaster.

Blitz the Dragon seems like a perfect heir, if not for the succession laws. If you can change them, she'd make an excellent queen. Otherwise, Cearl has had more kids now, so he might be a decent fallback for heir.

Hmm, I must say I am quite delighted.

Though it's a spooky coincidence; my friends and family have told me I am quite diplomatic. At least one professor described me as "charming."

Regardless, here's hoping father dearest finds me a hunky husband!

Reactions:
Great AAR

I have to say, the cultural consequences this AAR intrigues me.

In only 100 years a Breton King Rules England, Bretons have taken the holy land, and they have acheived major european influence.

Assuming a Breton can keep the English throne, it seems you might have a similar situation to what happened to the normens. Neither the native Breton, nor completly Anglo-Saxon, I can see a new culture start to rise.

I also wonder if England is recieving any immigrants from Brittany? After all, a Breton has retaken the throne, and Brittany was orginly created by refugees fleeing the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes. It would certainly cause some tension between the Anglo-Saxon Lords and the King, who might have diffrent opinions on how to handle that.

Also, I am curious to see how this England will politicaly handle the welsh, scots, and Irish differenty with a Breton king.

Oh no, my husband died! Hopefully the grandson is still a competent spymaster.

Blitz the Dragon seems like a perfect heir, if not for the succession laws. If you can change them, she'd make an excellent queen. Otherwise, Cearl has had more kids now, so he might be a decent fallback for heir.
Yeah, but...if she gets an epithet she'll be Blitz the Dragon the Wise, which is far too clunky for the future schoolchildren to remember!
And it would be a terrible idea to have the vassals be even more pissed off at you when your dynasty has just gotten to power (through the main line anyway) by nominating a female foreigner to be the next in line.
It just doesn't make sense from the perspective of the ingame characters.

Yeah, but...if she gets an epithet she'll be Blitz the Dragon the Wise, which is far too clunky for the future schoolchildren to remember!
It'd be extremely funny if Sam was using one of those nickname mods. One of the nicknames some of them add is "the Dragon" so that Blitz would be known as "Blitz the Dragon 'the Dragon' de Gael"

Reactions:
Chapter 16 - 1184 to 1194: The Welsh Wars

On January 4th, 1184, King Breselueu of Lloegyr declares war against the Welsh County of Glamorgan. As the Breton King, he sees the fellow Celtic lands of Wales as rightfully belonging to the Breton Kingdom of Lloegyr.

kUoSK07.jpg

He raises the levies of East Anglia and sends word that he wishes both the dukes of Mercia and of Wessex to send men to help. By March, an army of 12 thousand is ready. At the same time, the Petty King of Deheubarth also declares war on Glamorgan, with the same intent.

1hsQVaQ.jpg

They engage the entire enemy army in Monmouth, Gwent and wipe it out.

kHe2XXa.jpg

As there is no standing army left to oppose them, Breselueu orders the levies of Mercia and Wessex, and a third of the East Anglican, to return home, their jobs done. The remaining troops set siege to Cardiff Castle, Glamorgan.

qk8RvJN.jpg

In June, the King of Scotland, who, as of the past few decades, was an ally to the last Kings of England, sends word that he seeks to rebuild the bonds their kingdoms must had. He wishes his son and heir Prince Angus, to marry Blitz the Dragon. Although Breselueu wants to find Blitz a husband matrilineally, he cannot disregard such an opportunity to secure an alliance with the potential enemy to the north. With Scotland on his side, Breselueu can focus on conquering Wales. He does not, however, plan on remaining forever at peace with Scotland. He accepts the proposal, and Blitz the Dragon marries the Prince of Scotland.

0OpOQa6.jpg

Near the end of 1184, The Anguished One dies in her sleep at the impressive age of 68. Densley Blair now stands as the only surviving child of Ralf III.

Uy1sqKF.jpg

In 1185, with the war still raging, Breselueu announces that his wife is pregnant with their 5th child.

Nv7QOtJ.jpg

In April, the siege of Cardiff ends, yet the war carries on.

wnNOHWv.jpg

Before the end of the year, another set of twins is born. They name one Idhrendura, the other Necro Creature.

rhEgdWQ.jpg
Zc9dqB3.jpg

It is not until 1186, when the rest of Glamorgan falls, that the Count surrenders. As King Diarmait of Deheubarth was also at war for the county, he continues his attempt rather foolishly, bringing Lloegyr to war against him.

lqzkaBH.jpg

In February of 1186, Duke Mærleswegn 'the Just' of Mercia dies. His three Duchies, once united in such a strong union, are divided among his children; Mercia, the strongest, goes to his eldest son Morcar II, who is also made Marshal of Lloegyr; York goes to the second son, Leofwine; and Northumbria goes to his third (though not youngest, for he had many children) son Ealdræd. It seems the time of Mercian dominance may be over. DKM, once educated by Mærleswegn, is sent instead to study under Cearl.

HjcyAJ0.jpg

YBfldEh.jpg

Less than a month later, Æthelstan of Hwicce, son of King Loup, dies. His successor is his eldest son Æthelstan II.

ac6KJWY.jpg

In 1187, after a successful siege of Dyfed, Deheubarth accepts surrender. Even though the war ends in Lloegyr victory, no land is gained. Breselueu, far from done with his conquests, sets his eyes on the small Welsh Kingdom of Gwynedd. He declares war for the county of Perfeddwlad.

0MPuKVt.jpg

After the fall of the Gwynedd capital in June of 1188, King Cadwgan of Gwynedd surrenders the county of Perfeddwlad.

yl9jlqe.jpg

Only two Welsh counties now stand outside of Lloegyr control. In honor of the victories seen in the Conquest of Wars, Breselueu declares a Grand Tournament to be held in Norfolk. Messengers are sent all around the Kingdom, calling forth the greatest warriors to compete in the tournament.

EqUEH8Q.jpg

The tournament lasts to November, the winners being either courtiers of Lloegyr or commanders of Breselueu's vassals.

0BqPauW.jpg
3sfwzh9.jpg

Throughout the wars, a dangerous trait has grown inside Breselueu: Greed. Having acquired the 2 Welsh counties (which he controls directly), he looks about for more prey.

6yVb2bc.jpg

The Duke of York is his next target. Cerdic is a cousin of Breselueu, and thus Breselueu has a weak claim on the Duchy. He tells Cerdic to hand over York or he may have to use force. Unwilling to go to war, Cerdic accepts the revocation. Breselueu now controls both York and East Anglia directly.

weOIR15.jpg

In may of 1189, Jerkera comes of age. She is nowhere near as brilliant as her sister, and, soon after turning 14, the King of France sends word that he wishes her to be married to his son, Prince Ekkehard. Breselueu accepts. He now has daughters married to the heirs of Scotland and France. Although he still wishes a daughter to be married matrilineally, he decided to accept the French proposition due to his twin daughters.

bJ1gBZ3.jpg

uo9C0z0.jpg

In August, the Prince of Scotland dies and, at the request of King Breselueu, Blitz returns to Lloegyr. A month later, a matrilineal marriage is arranged between her and a man named Assiucc, son of the Irish Bishop of St. Davids. He is an extraordinarily talented administrator and a skilled diplomat, who is made Steward of Lloegyr upon arrival to the court.

Chjw1YT.jpg

In May of 1191, the last of the children of Ralf III passes away. Densley Blair dies at the age of 59. Cearl inherits the Duchy of Essex from him. Although Densley was the youngest of his siblings, and always in the shadows of his brothers, he achieved great things during his lifetime. As Densley dies, the new heir of Lloegyr was elected as Wulfhelm, Duke of Lancaster. Desperate to keep the Kingdom out of any hands but de Gaels', Breselueu throws his vote to Duke Æthelstan II, Grandson of Loup. Although they had never been close, Æthelstan is still a de Gael and is a worthy choice as heir.

8dSQs7v.jpg

In August of 1193, twin princes Rhifnaw and DKM come of age.

1tqwjjB.jpg

As the year ends, Breselueu looks back towards Wales. Despite the last decade's conquests being successful, he has yet to subjugate the entirety of the Welsh lands.

nCXB4Kh.jpg

(A quick overview of the rest of the world)

NOTE:
-Breton Jerusalem's second chance ends just the same as the first... However, some small vestiges of Breton culture remain there, including the Holy City itself!
-Islam is pushing back and has reached France once again.
-This was a pretty lengthy update, but I'm a bit keen to get to (in my opinion) the more exciting half of the game: the 1200s and beyond.
-Since no one seemed to give the answer last time, Rhif Naw means Number Nine in Welsh.

Reactions:
Didn't Densley get the Rhifnaw answer?

Æthelstan II of Hwicce will be a good king of England, he has some okay stewardship and can be the one who conquers the rest of Wales (if you don't do it before then, in that case I suggest Ireland).

Since no one seemed to give the answer last time, Rhif Naw means Number Nine in Welsh.

My British subtlety was obviously far too subtle…

Sad to see DB go – but frankly he did far more than I think anyone would have ever expected of him, so I'm content. Would have been nice to see him king, though. Surely Cearl is now the obvious heir? :p

Reactions:
Hopefully the Fatimids and Seljuks can start fighting each other now and make way for a third kingdom!
Also, pope needs to crusade those dirty Iberian saracens....

Reactions:
Didn't Densley get the Rhifnaw answer?

Æthelstan II of Hwicce will be a good king of England, he has some okay stewardship and can be the one who conquers the rest of Wales (if you don't do it before then, in that case I suggest Ireland).

I took from his reply that he knew the answer, but he didn't answer it in his post! Ireland is the next target, though Scotland is a viable choice, seeing as the Prince of Scotland and Blitz are no long married due to his inconvenient death.

Sad to see DB go – but frankly he did far more than I think anyone would have ever expected of him, so I'm content. Would have been nice to see him king, though. Surely Cearl is now the obvious heir? :p

He was, and I did originally throw my vote his way. But the other dukes of the kingdom didn't agree, so, to avoid the throne going to some other house, I went with Loup's Grandson. At least for now.

I took from his reply that he knew the answer, but he didn't answer it in his post! Ireland is the next target, though Scotland is a viable choice, seeing as the Prince of Scotland and Blitz are no long married due to his inconvenient death.
Let's hope the prince at least knocked up Blitz before he died so you can get a nice baby relative to place on the throne as a puppet ruler.

I'm a bit late but I did not have much free time in the last few days.
Congrats for becoming the 1st Breton king of England.

And I have great hopes for Rhifnaw. :p

Ah, my counterpart has died. Sadly, she didn't accomplish much aside from living for a long time. Oh well, she played her role.

The kingdom is growing nicely, and an alliance with France is always good news. Ireland looks like the better option to expand, seeing how divided they are.

Æthelstan II looks like a good heir for the time being, but things could still change. Cearl is still around, and Blitz the Dragon now has a matrilineal marriage.

Reactions: