• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The result of the vote (obviously) is A. Next update, we will continue as Attalus!

What I was expecting was overwhelming support for Attalus, and the few B's actually surprised me.

Are you planning on keeping Breton?

It depends. Loup has already 'converted' to the vile Anglo-Saxon, so it may only be a matter of time before my heir is one too. I won't change my own culture via decisions (change to liege's culture), it all depends on the heir.

It is fairly late where I am so I will take the night off. Next update will be tomorrow morning for me (probably evening for most everyone else).

Is King Loup still a viable heir for Attalus? You could still play as Attalus and then get the crown upon succession, assuming Loup doesn't die before Attalus.

Is King Loup still a viable heir for Attalus? You could still play as Attalus and then get the crown upon succession, assuming Loup doesn't die before Attalus.

I think he is. I'm not completely familiar with who is eligible to be elected in an electoral heritage system.

The result of the vote (obviously) is A. Next update, we will continue as Attalus!

What I was expecting was overwhelming support for Attalus, and the few B's actually surprised me.

It depends. Loup has already 'converted' to the vile Anglo-Saxon, so it may only be a matter of time before my heir is one too. I won't change my own culture via decisions (change to liege's culture), it all depends on the heir.

It is fairly late where I am so I will take the night off. Next update will be tomorrow morning for me (probably evening for most everyone else).
Be wary next time. You need a mod's permission to hold any form of vote.

Be wary next time. You need a mod's permission to hold any form of vote.
I already have permission. Please check the first post :)

Last edited:
Chapter 13 - 1159 to 1168: King Loup

In Bedford Castle, Loup sits on his throne, a crown on his brow, and the Kingdom of England at his feet. It is the 25th of January, 1159, and Loup has been made King of England. His brother Attalus remains the Duke of East Anglia, to which Bedford used to belong. While Loup is indeed a much liked, well educated man, he is on the weaker side when it comes to kings. He has no knowledge of war and his Demesne consists only of Bedford. He can only hope that he can keep the throne for his lifetime and pass it on to a de Gael after his death.

LnrHfjs.jpg

Meanwhile, Attalus sits on a throne a hundred miles to the east, yet he does not command an entire Kingdom. East Anglia, which had grown to 6 counties under his rule, is back at 5, as Loup brought Bedford with him. Attalus, while a little resentful at the loss of land, is happy that a de Gael is on the throne, although it doesn't promise a very long or powerful rule. Perhaps in reconciliation, since Attalus has no skill as a commander, Loup offers him the position. Loup also offers him his old post as Chancellor. He accepts both.

JTz70JR.jpg

aWzgRKn.jpg

ewsosL9.jpg

However, Loup does something less than a month into his rule that promises civil war in the coming years; he attempts to raise crown authority, barring vassals from warring with each other.

dNgJTay.jpg

In October, the Duchess of Hwicce declares independence, stating that she refuses to be a vassal under such a tyrannical king. At the same time, Chancellor Bledric sends word that he fabricated a claim on the county of Middlesex, which was, in rulers past, often the capital of the Kingdom of England. But, with the prospect of higher crown authority, Middlesex may never be conquered.

ZC0PwOf.jpg

The revolt of Hwicce is a short and brutal war, over in less than a year.

kvARjQ0.jpg

Then, in October of 1160, another revolt starts. Duke Leofric of Essex declares that Loup is no legitimate ruler, and raises troops intent on dethroning the King. He also sends word that he wishes Attalus to join him. Unable to betray his brother, Attalus refuses.

831d2SR.jpg

jrFgFNd.jpg

Duke Leofric is crushed by 1162, imprisoned and forced to surrender. At the same time, the Lords of England finally approve the increase of crown authority. How long it can last is unknown.

YlQALQ6.jpg

oCISukM.jpg

Then, in July of 1162, Attalus' wife Wulfthryth is found hanging in her bedchambers. She had suffered from depression for years and finally took her own life.

qwPxePS.jpg

In 1163, Marshal Imre requests permission to join the Knights Templar far to the East. Although Imre has been a skilled Marshal since his appointment, Attalus accepts his request. His replacement is Offa, Mayor of Maldon, Essex. He is not quite as talented as Imre, but is still a capable soldier and leader.

zckJ66D.jpg

BDcmEjN.jpg

It is not until 1164 that Attalus remarries. His chosen wife is not, however, approved of throughout England. She is a young woman, named Oncum, from a Breton father and Arab mother, and, although her father was Catholic and her mother Shia, she is Sunni. She has been a courtier at the court of East Anglia since her father, who was a courtier at one of the Breton cities of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, died on the journey back to Brittany from the Holy Land. Despite their religious differences, she caught Attalus' eye through her skill with a sword and with words. Attalus, after all, has never been very zealous.

p66al5w.jpg

In 1165, Southern England is racked by Consumption, which spreads from Kent, to Wessex, Essex, and finally East Anglia. Attalus' son and heir Ralf comes down with consumption, and, in a years time, he dies in bed.

rg5puSa.jpg

1u87SOB.jpg

Although Ralf had a son, also named Attalus, he is refused the position of heir due to his lack of administrative knowledge, and Duke Attalus instead elects his youngest son Breselueu as heir. Breselueu has much of his father's skill in diplomacy, and he too lacks military knowledge and skill.

HP7tDZ6.jpg

xDSq09H.jpg

In February of 1166, Pope Gregorius calls for a renewed crusade for Jerusalem. King Loup does not answer the call.

BLjLbHD.jpg

As he is now heir, Breselueu is found a wife, a princess of Aragon named Constança. She is a skilled administrator and should help Breselueu rule the duchy when his time comes.

Wxeg7ma.jpg

In 1168, the reign of Duke Attalus ends as he passes away of a natural death.

WTkynXi.jpg

Breselueu ascends to the throne of East Anglia. Long live Duke Breselueu!

zBv15Cq.jpg

NOTE:
-I did not elect Loup as heir because I don't think Attalus would have. relations between the two grew a little bitter by the end, what with the crown authority.
-It kinda sucks that Attalus died after only 19 years, but what is even worse is Breselueu's name!

Reactions:
I understand the reason for not selecting Loup as heir. Hopefully Breselueu ends up getting along with his uncle more so that you'll have the crown in a generation, given the higher crown law prevents you from strengthening the duchy.

A shame Attalus didn't rule longer. With a name like Breselueue, let's get hope he doesn't last long.

Enjoying this AAR. Applaud the choice to stick with Attalus rather than swapping to Loup.

One of the my favorite playthroughs was as a Doux in Byzantine Empire who pressed a kinsman's claim become Emperor and then spent the next 200 years being the power behind the throne, propping up the ruling branch of the family by supporting them in in wars and rebellions while expanding under their protection and quietly becoming the most powerful vassal in the Empire.

He could have a Welsh name.

Pff. Welsh names are fine. :p

I agree that playing as the Norfolk line actually provides an interesting option for now; being the éminence grise in the Kingdom is always fun. Of course, I'm still very much looking forward to the inevitable De Gael civil war for the throne.

I already have permission. Please check the first post :)
Then I apologize. I'm glad we continued with your current line rather than changing to Loup. You should invade Wales!

Chapter 14 - 1168 to 1176: The Tyrant Kings

Breselueu grew up as the youngest child, always in the shadow of his older brother, always ignored as others plotted his fate. His older brother Ralf, whom he had always been jealous of, and for whom he had never any love, or hate, was dead. No one predicted anything great of him. Now, he, Breselueu, is the new Duke of East Anglia after the passing of his father.

ZF00Fli.jpg

After the initial tumultuous years of Loup's rule of England, it seems the Kingdom has quieted down. It did come with the price of several imprisoned dukes in the dungeons of Bedford. Nevertheless, the following years seem to hold the promise of an unnatural peace in England. But, King Loup, thirsty for more power, it seems, begins a restructuring of the duchies, revoking the Duchy of Hwicce from its imprisoned Duchess, the Duchy of Lancaster from the Duke of Mercia, and the Duchy of Kent from its rightful ruler. With the changes, he disrupts much of the peace that the end of the civil wars brought, creating hatred and anger among his vassals.

kMYwaOq.jpg

hmTbEtF.jpg

In March of 1169, Constança is pregnant for the first time, and in October, a daughter is born. They name her Blitz the Dragon.

d40g6ii.jpg

Just a month later, news arrives from the east that the Crusaders are successful, Jerusalem is once more in the hands of Christianity, and the Bretons!

ctVYJtG.jpg

Konan the Great, the first King of Jerusalem, died in 1167. His son, Guihomarch, rules over both Brittany and Jerusalem, as his father did.

7NlKKft.jpg

In 1170, Breselueu is offered the position of Chancellor of England. In protest to the recent acts of Loup, he rejects.

rtVK3aN.jpg

On the 15th of July, 1170, King Loup of England passes away at the age of 50. Although some will remember his early years of greatness, many will have their memories of him marred by his last few years of tyranny.

3QXFEW9.jpg

Duke Thoræd of Kent, who repossessed his Duchy a few months before the death of Loup, is elected as the next King of England. He, like the previous King, does not hold great lands and does not promise a strong leadership. As with Loup, he revokes several titles in order to grow his personal demesne.

KDOfXbH.jpg

Duke Breselueu, sensing the weakness of the rule, begins garnering support for his own claim on the throne, sending the Chancellor to improve relations with the various dukes of England.

Years pass by with no civil wars for England. By 1174, Breselueu has convinced Duke Mærleswegn of Mercia to back his claim to the throne. In the recent years, the Duke of Mercia has inherited the Duchy of Northumbria, making up for his loss of the Duchy of Lancaster.

Lj42FYz.jpg

In February, with such a strong supporter, Breselueu delivers an Ultimatum to King Thoræd. The King refuses to step down and Breselueu declares war.

GsSLzUN.jpg

pUKAfom.jpg

8ykPjFa.jpg

As leader of the revolt, Breselueu sends word to the entire realm under his control to raise all men possible. Over 13 thousand are raised and make way for Northampton to rally.

KrT1Kpa.jpg

The rebel army, led by Breselueu and his commanders, heads to engage the enemy in Oxford. After a fierce battle in which thousands die on each side, the rebels emerge victorious, and the King's forces retreat to Bedford. Half of the rebel army gives chase while the rest head towards Middlesex to lay siege to the capital of England.

IwdHR4w.jpg

The army makes contact with the rest of the King's army, and Breselueu can be seen leading the charge ahead of his men, urging them forward. It is another victory and the army moves to join their fellow rebels in the siege of Middlesex.

EoYCY70.jpg

In the tents outside the Castle Westminster, Middlesex, a messenger arrives for Breselueu. He brings tidings from Norfolk, his wife is pregnant again.

ySzr78T.jpg

Westminster falls in March of 1175. The city of London, one of the most prosperous and prestigious cities in England, is the next target. However, despite the shortness of the war, the armies are already feeling the strain of disease. The siege of London sees hundreds die of disease, leaving only 7 thousand men in the entire rebel army.

E4dDa3m.jpg

6zdWi8d.jpg

In May, another messenger finds Breselueu on the front lines. He carries the news of the birth of his second daughter. He sends back a letter naming the child Jerkera.

gW2ilLS.jpg

The siege of London continues, as food and supplies are somehow smuggled past the besieging forces into the city. It seems it will take longer than expected for London to fall. Eventually it falls. The defenders throw up the flag of surrender and are marched out to roaring cheers and jeers from the rebels. The King, however, does not know defeat when he sees it, and fights stubbornly on.

1AnK1FO.jpg

Finally, King Thoræd, who was trying to scrap together another army in the north, comes forward with his surrender.

5APuZPh.jpg

The king is dethroned in 1176, replaced by Breselueu, the victorious leader of the rebels. Long ling King Breselueu!

mvvRP8m.jpg

But, can such a rule be maintained after the turbulent years that saw its creation?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Loup had one of the greatest reigns in England, and facilitated your ascension to the throne by doing those revocations. Now you are a mightier and stronger king than you would had been without him. The crown authority was also in your favour. Even though you did not play him, he shined. May he forever be remembered as the first and perhaps greatest De Gael king of England!

Reactions:
Congrats to Breselueu, for becoming King of England here's hoping he can hold onto the throne. Also what happened to Saxona?

At last, the crown is yours! Now you just need to change succession laws so that it stays in your hands. Also, hats off to King Loup for planting the seeds of chaos that would eventually allow you to take the throne.

Two more wonderful daughters for the de Gaels! The family just keeps on growing.

Reactions:
Oh, that is a nice touch of the game, changing 'England' to 'Lloegyr'. Hopefully it'll stay in Celtic hands for a while, yet. I suppose your first priority once your position is secure will be to try and cement a De Gael inheritance?

Maybe DB can be in with a shout? :p

Oh, that is a nice touch of the game, changing 'England' to 'Lloegyr'. Hopefully it'll stay in Celtic hands for a while, yet. I suppose your first priority once your position is secure will be to try and cement a De Gael inheritance?

Maybe DB can be in with a shout? :p

DB was court chaplain of East Anglia for years. He kept asking for his own demesne, but I 'mentioned a church career' XD. I really should do an update of all the children of Ralf III.

Reactions: