• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Honestly I think this AAR just got all the more fun with these character updates. Also I admit it seems that your're moving forward well with three counties under your control. I don't doubt that the future looks bright.

The names are perfect ! :D

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward for your next war.

So how much money are you making now that you've built a Castle Town upgrade and gotten a new county?

My German husband does have hunchback though.

Oh... I actually forgot about that! :)

So how much money are you making now that you've built a Castle Town upgrade and gotten a new county?

I'm making between 6 and 7 a month. It's increased since I took Suffolk.

Chapter 9 - 1132 to 1136: The War for Northampton

The year 1132 brings with it the news that Attalus, Chancellor of East Anglia and Son of Duke Ralf III, has succeeded in fabricating a claim on the county of Northampton. For long a county of interest to East Anglia, Northampton is owned by Count Siward, a vassal of the Duke of Essex, a former ally of East Anglia. However, with his new ally, Duke Morcar of Mercia, Ralf intends to push his claim and take Northampton for himself. Duke Leofheah of Essex's allies include the Duke of Wessex, but that should be no problem, as that duchy consists of only 2 counties presently.

While Ralf still drinks frequently, his stress has subsided and he is nearly as clear minded as before his drinking days. Although he would like to declare war immediately, it would be best to allow the levies of East Anglia to fully recover from the last civil war. It should take a year for this.

In November of 1132, the first child of The Anguished One and Gottfried is born. They name her Eadflæd.

aP5mU2J.jpg

In May of 1133, King Leofric of England, who was also Ralf's father-in-law, passes away. The new king is his son Wulfgar, a highly intelligent and religious man. Immediately upon taking the throne, Wulfgar decides to institute a higher crown authority. Ralf ignores him, and it is not until 2 years later that the King garners enough support to pass it. It seems these kings will never learn...

FOt52RF.jpg

6suWEZK.jpg

V7zgypl.jpg

The next month, the gold stores and levies are full, and Ralf declares war on the Duke of Essex for the county of Northampton. Upon the call to arms, Morcar joins the war, raising thousands of Mercian troops. Likewise, Ralf raises an army of nearly 3 thousand.

F3evBFm.jpg

They lay siege to Northampton Castle. Within a month, 6 thousand Mercian men join the siege. Meanwhile 3 thousand enemies besiege Essex's Castle.

yPRl72z.jpg

In the east, a new religious order is founded, perhaps in anticipation of something. But this is of little interest to East Anglia or England.

AIsDo84.jpg

In September, Attalus and his wife have a son. He is named Ralf after his grandfather.

eG4AvGP.jpg

By the end of the year, the Pope calls a Crusade for Jerusalem. The King of England immediately answers, raising thousands of English men for the war.

4QuyWTk.jpg

Attalus, with his silver tongue, asks his father for a fief in 1134. Ralf promises him Northampton as soon as the war is over, if the war is a victory.

IVFgZNM.jpg

In may of 1134, the siege of Northampton ends. The army is sent to stop the siege of Essex.

7mPxMQ0.jpg

Simultaneously, Loup reaches manhood. Considered a weakling in his family, he is not blessed with many skills.

adMMRD1.jpg

jgGsrfE.jpg

The 9 thousand man army of Mercia and East Anglia collides with the nearly 5 thousand man army of Essex. It is a victory, with only 3 hundred enemy troops surviving in fighting condition. They are pursued to Middlesex and destroyed.

3eu42z1.jpg

In July, more good news arrives. Ralf's enemy, Duke Leofheah, died of poor health. The Duchy of Essex is now in an even weaker position than it was before; his son, the new Duke, has no skill whatsoever in war. After the city of Cambridge, Northampton, is taken, he surrenders the county.

gKzgFit.jpg

FCkNmfH.jpg

The war was an enormous success, nearly flawless, very few East Anglican or Mercian men died. The Duchy of East Anglia now includes 4 counties. As promised, Attalus receives Northampton for himself. In recognition of the value of his help, Duke Morcar is sent a substantial gift.

Z3rxazm.jpg

qm4XoZz.jpg

Upon the loss of Northampton, the King takes the Duchy away from the Duke. There are now plenty of weak counties to the south and west of East Anglia ripe for the picking.

Saxona reaches womanhood in October of 1135. While she is an very learned young woman, she lacks any other real skills.

ws1R6K3.jpg

lpKH5xi.jpg

In order to gain another ally, she is married to the Duke of Northumbria, who also happens to be allied with Mercia.

41wQVXH.jpg

At the same time, Densley turns 4 years of age. His guardian is chosen as Duke Morcar.

mto5MDR.jpg

As the year turns to 1136, the Crusade for Jerusalem ends in victory for Christendom. The Kingdom of Jerusalem is created and given to the Duke of Breizh, now called the King of Jerusalem.

CNo3Oac.jpg

The holy city is in Breton hands!

wPF68DE.jpg

NOTE:
-I'm not sure why all of Ralf's children are coming out so bad. Their guardians had all been fairly good. I think I'll take a bigger part in the children's educations from now on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One day, Loup will prove himself to be a great man! Just wait!

The Breton culture is strong in this game, only in my own hands I have seen them take Jerusalem.

Reactions:
A successful war for you and for Christianity. How long can the Kingdom of Jerusalem last..?

I see Attalus' character is content to continue the tradition of naming the heir Ralf. Even the AI wants it to continue. :D At least my daughter will help the dynasty grow.

Yay, Northampton (my home county) has fallen to the might of the Del Gaels. Hopefully Attalus can rule it well. Poor Saxona, skilled in theology but noting else. Does not sound like me at all. :D As a half-northerner I approve of the Northumbria marriage. ;)

Last edited:
More expansion, and more opportunities.

Though I've gotten so used to big kingdoms that 6-7 a month seems dangerously low. I guess it works for where you're at, though.

I'm sure under the guardianship of Mercia DB will grow into a worthy Earl of Essex – or whoever it is that he eventually becomes. (I mean, a title is a given, right? :p)

Good to see Norfolk continues to thrive, in any case. There'll be Gaels on the throne in no time!

Chapter 10 - 1136 to 1146: The Buildup to War

On March 22 of the year 1136, Duke Ralf III of East Anglia turns 43 years of age. He has been ruling for nearly 40 years. If he should live as old as his forefathers, he still has a long life ahead of him, a life he plans to fill with conquest. He still suffers from the drink, of course, but his councilors take more responsibility in times of war because of it. At the same time of his turning 43, news of a Muslim Jihad to retake Jerusalem reaches England.

clhhFOP.jpg

In 1137, the Jihad ends in failure. For now, the Holy City is safe in Christian hands.

LtWyR26.jpg

The next few years pass uneventfully, except for the passing of Ralf's mother Agathe and the construction of several new jousting lists in Suffolk and Essex.

X3s7qAd.jpg

Not until September of 1139 does anything noteworthy happen, as the King of England declares war on the Scottish Duke of Lothian for the county of Lincoln. At the moment, the Duke of Lothian is in a war against his liege, the King of Scotland, as the King attempts to wrest control of Lincoln from him.

yCXucfN.jpg

In November of 1140, a man from Brittany travels to the court, offering his services as Chancellor. His name is Guincum, and he is well known throughout the Breton Kingdom of Jerusalem as a most talented diplomat. Attalus, once the greatest diplomat in Europe, has been suffering lately from a new found shyness. Ralf tells the newcomer that Attalus should be given a chance to prove that he is still the best for the job.

tVIcvsO.jpg

mHoknVL.jpg

In 1141, Scotland, a land that was already divided internally, surrenders to England. The Kingdom of England is whole once again.

8pLUGhJ.jpg

In September, The Kingdom of Jerusalem falls to the Seljuk Sultanate, the Breton rulers forced to return to Brittany.

CUZ6mbl.jpg

in November of 1143, good news reaches Ralf as he is downing another pint of ale. Attalus has succeeded in fabricating another claim. This time it is the county of Bedford.

EcNZHAx.jpg

tOZPEW4.jpg

Since the last war, the levies have recovered and the gold stores are being filled faster than ever before in East Anglican history. The entire army of East Anglia would make up over 3 thousand men, far higher than in the past. Although Ralf believes his Duchy is ready for another war, he puts it off; Norfolk is in the middle of upgrading its training grounds, and Ralf would prefer to declare war after such an engagement is finished. He sets his current sights instead on raising the centralization of the state. He passes several laws giving himself more power over the vassals.

cJquahY.jpg

Another Jihad is called in 1145, this time on Anatolia.

Yya75uW.jpg

In October, Densley Blair comes of age. Although he suffers from overeating and occasional arbitrary behavior, he is a highly intelligent young man. Upon coming of age, he is given his niece EadFlæd to guardian and teach.

gl8rlwO.jpg

HHbf6k2.jpg

Densley Blair also requests that his father finds him a wife. Princess Cristina, Daughter of King Wulfgar of England, is chosen. They marry of October 11th.

kTAIJWn.jpg

Loup also asks his father to find him a wife. However, for the past few years Loup has been known as a Whoremaster, visiting brothels on an almost weekly basis. Finding him a willing wife will be more difficult.

3ct17eL.jpg

Eventually one his found, an Occitan woman who is a particularly skilled spymaster.

XvapB0y.jpg

8zknWWI.jpg

As the year 1146 rolls around, East Anglia is ready for war. The training grounds are built, the levies on alert, and the stockpiles at the brim with gold. Ralf, now at the old age of 52, is ready for another war of conquest.

KUsMUzv.jpg

Reactions:
You accidentially double-posted the same update.

Hopefully you will suceed in the war for Bedford, it will expand your powerbase for further conquest.

Why is Loup treated in such a way? Densley gets to marry with the king daughter, and he only gets a spymaster. Such a talented young man as him deserves a better wife!

Reactions:
Jerusalem survives a Jihad only to fall to to the Seljuk Sultanate. The Pope will have to try again to establish a Christian kingdom in the Middle East.

You should be able to win the war for Bedford quite easily, given all the building you've been doing to strengthen your land.

I get to marry a princess, which is nice – but my God, those stats are abject!

Ah well. The game gives and takes.

Looking forward to the conquest of Bedford! (And not at all because I want it for DB, or anything…)

Reactions:
Another county. Good, good.

You accidentially double-posted the same update.

Hopefully you will suceed in the war for Bedford, it will expand your powerbase for further conquest.

Why is Loup treated in such a way? Densley gets to marry with the king daughter, and he only gets a spymaster. Such a talented young man as him deserves a better wife!

Because you are a whoremaster :p I was planning on finding a wife for Loup much earlier, but I was preoccupied and it just slipped my mind.

Jerusalem survives a Jihad only to fall to to the Seljuk Sultanate. The Pope will have to try again to establish a Christian kingdom in the Middle East.

You should be able to win the war for Bedford quite easily, given all the building you've been doing to strengthen your land.

Most of my games seem to be that way. Crusade, success. Jihad, success. And so on.

I get to marry a princess, which is nice – but my God, those stats are abject!

Ah well. The game gives and takes.

Looking forward to the conquest of Bedford! (And not at all because I want it for DB, or anything…)

That is why I've decided the children of the current ruler should be more carefully watched over :)

Another county. Good, good.

Yep, building up slowly! And I recognized your name immediately as 'the converter dude.' I've been using them for ages.

Reactions:
Nice chapter KUTGW